EVGA

Downside of not connecting to USB Header with CLC 240?

Author
MattyMattMatt
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 112
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/04/08 08:20:53 (permalink)
Pretty straight forward question, I think. Just not sure if anyone has done this here.
Typically use SpeedFan to control noise levels on my current h100i (yeah, that old thing), but it's dying. Temps are climbing, can here quite a bit of water bubbling, so I decided to get a new one, this time the evga clc. I'm hooking it up this weekend, and was reading about the software, and it seems people have issues with it.

Question is, if I forego the USB connection, hook the fans to a case header, and use speedfan, what do I lose? I don't give a **** about rgb, might install the software just to see if I can turn it off.
Is the pump just going to run at 100% any issues with this?

Associate Code: C0RZOAF57R3JE6B
Elite Member ID: MXFACO40E1XPINUAY3X

8 Replies Related Threads

ZoranC
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1099
    • Ribbons : 16
    Re: Downside of not connecting to USB Header with CLC 240? 2021/04/08 10:50:12 (permalink)
    MattyMattMatt
    Pretty straight forward question, I think. Just not sure if anyone has done this here.
    Typically use SpeedFan to control noise levels on my current h100i (yeah, that old thing), but it's dying. Temps are climbing, can here quite a bit of water bubbling, so I decided to get a new one, this time the evga clc. I'm hooking it up this weekend, and was reading about the software, and it seems people have issues with it.

Question is, if I forego the USB connection, hook the fans to a case header, and use speedfan, what do I lose? I don't give a **** about rgb, might install the software just to see if I can turn it off.
    Is the pump just going to run at 100% any issues with this?

I'm doing exactly same thing you want to do and in my experience and what EVGA tech told me:

I can use PX1 to turn off LED and set fan curve, apply it and that configuration seems to get stored in CLC and used even after I disconnect USB cable and remove PX1. Also, default pump setting is 100% and it too seems to continue being used in absence of USB connection / PX1.

Fair warning: Attempt to uninstall PX1 just like any other software didn't completely work for me, I had to go and hunt down all possible things it put in and manually remove them. So now when I need to use PX1 I shut down machine, connect USB cable, boot with different "scratch" boot disk, use PX1 on that disk to work with CLC, turn off machine, disconnect USB cable and boot back with regular disk.
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10103
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Downside of not connecting to USB Header with CLC 240? 2021/04/08 12:08:14 (permalink)
    You can use the cable if you need to adjust anything to your liking then it’s saved to the CLC. After that you can remove the cable and it should keep your settings. Without the cable it will work on its default curve.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31005
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Downside of not connecting to USB Header with CLC 240? 2021/04/08 14:12:03 (permalink)

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

MattyMattMatt
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Downside of not connecting to USB Header with CLC 240? 2021/04/08 14:32:54 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info guys. Guess I'll install once, configure, and then unplug it.

MattyMattMatt
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Downside of not connecting to USB Header with CLC 240? 2021/04/11 13:01:43 (permalink)
    I ended up replacing the fans. The evga fans are just unacceptably loud, even at the lowest rpm. The fans I have (bitfenix spectre pro), they're quieter at their max than the evga fans at their lowest, that's 1200rpm for both I think. And even though the bitfenix are not pwm, I can hook them to the mobo and control them via speedfan just fine.

I wish I could control the pump over the mb header, instead of only via the software. I don't anticipate leaving the usb cable plugged in, though I do have a spare header. Don't want to keep the software installed either, even though I had no real issue with it... Other than the user hints are lacking. Like, why is there nothing telling me what that K button does?

ZoranC
    FTW Member
    Re: Downside of not connecting to USB Header with CLC 240? 2021/04/11 13:17:51 (permalink)
    MattyMattMatt
    I ended up replacing the fans. The evga fans are just unacceptably loud, even at the lowest rpm.

My feelings too. I went with Noctua for my CLC360.

MattyMattMatt
    I wish I could control the pump over the mb header, instead of only via the software.

Through mb USB header or through mb fan header? If later what is stopping you?
    MattyMattMatt
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Downside of not connecting to USB Header with CLC 240? 2021/04/12 10:07:07 (permalink)
    ZoranC

MattyMattMatt
    I wish I could control the pump over the mb header, instead of only via the software.

The pump doesn't control via the MB Fan Header. I've got it hooked, and regardless of percentage, the pump does not change, always stays at the 2000rpm it is set.

ZoranC
    FTW Member
    Re: Downside of not connecting to USB Header with CLC 240? 2021/04/12 10:10:50 (permalink)
    MattyMattMatt
    ZoranC

MattyMattMatt

The pump doesn't control via the MB Fan Header. I've got it hooked, and regardless of percentage, the pump does not change, always stays at the 2000rpm it is set.

That is interesting.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile