Helpful ReplyOptimus Block Tracking Thread

Page: << < ..67 Showing page 7 of 7
Author
Gotspeed_2000
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 818
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 5
Re: Optimus Block Tracking Thread 2021/06/17 13:51:27 (permalink)
It was worth the wait bro.  I was nervous about doing the conversion from air to water.  It was my first one, but i went for the homerun with bending PETG hard tubes and with the water block parts.  It was nice working with the Optimus parts though i have to admit until I powered on the entire system I was kinda worried if the GPU would brick like a few of the EKWB water blocked cards did for other forum members.  The Optimus stuff is really good, I have the velocity cpu block from EK and it has nothing on the Optimus.  The Magnitude is closer, but I still like the Optimus one better.  The clear plexi Optimus uses seemed thicker and stronger than the EK one.  Also, Optimus machines their treads into their plastics instead of using a die to cut into the material.  The cold plate also felt heavier with the Optimus as well.  The GPU is in a world of its own.  That thing is like a brick.  Make sure to be able to support the weight.  The cold plate the plexi are outstanding, thick with excellent touches.  The only thing I would say is when you are taking apart the gpu from the stock cooler to separate the cooler from the PCB from the middle where the components that EVGA uses them on.  Take your time and everything else after that is cake with extra thick frosting and a side of ice cream.  
post edited by Gotspeed_2000 - 2021/06/17 15:12:20

Corsair 1000D Obsidian Case
I9 13900K with EK Velocity 2 Block
ASUS 4090 Strix with Optimus Block
ASUS Hero Z690 Mobo
64GB DDR5 RAM Trident 6000Mhz 
1TB Nvme primary /2*2TB Nvme secondary/1tb & 2TB SSD drive
EVGA 1600 Watt PSU
30 Lian Li AL120 fans
2 * 480mm medium thickness rad, 2 * 360mm medium thickness rad, with
Two EK Pump/res combos.  Custom hard tube loop.  
Samsung G7 32" Monitor
EVGA Z20 Keyboard
Glorious Model O
Jaginsel
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Optimus Block Tracking Thread 2021/06/17 13:55:19 (permalink)
That's a clean setup, looks good!
bryantnguyen49
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 101
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Optimus Block Tracking Thread 2021/07/01 23:36:08 (permalink)
Gotspeed_2000
It was worth the wait bro.  I was nervous about doing the conversion from air to water.  It was my first one, but i went for the homerun with bending PETG hard tubes and with the water block parts.  It was nice working with the Optimus parts though i have to admit until I powered on the entire system I was kinda worried if the GPU would brick like a few of the EKWB water blocked cards did for other forum members.  The Optimus stuff is really good, I have the velocity cpu block from EK and it has nothing on the Optimus.  The Magnitude is closer, but I still like the Optimus one better.  The clear plexi Optimus uses seemed thicker and stronger than the EK one.  Also, Optimus machines their treads into their plastics instead of using a die to cut into the material.  The cold plate also felt heavier with the Optimus as well.  The GPU is in a world of its own.  That thing is like a brick.  Make sure to be able to support the weight.  The cold plate the plexi are outstanding, thick with excellent touches.  The only thing I would say is when you are taking apart the gpu from the stock cooler to separate the cooler from the PCB from the middle where the components that EVGA uses them on.  Take your time and everything else after that is cake with extra thick frosting and a side of ice cream.  

Do you have before/after temp comparisons? I'm thinking about biting the bullet and shelling out for an optimus but idk if it is worth the price difference of an ek or another brand
post edited by bryantnguyen49 - 2021/07/01 23:38:55
Gotspeed_2000
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 818
  • Ribbons : 5
Re: Optimus Block Tracking Thread 2021/07/02 02:17:49 (permalink)
I didn't have another GPU water block before as I ran it on air only prior.  But my GPU temps are pretty good.  While gaming my gpu gets to around 100f at max.  My ambient is around mid 80s to mid 90s.  I really like the gpu block, it was worth it to me.  If you didn't buy a block yet, I would strongly consider getting the Optimus.  It was pretty much pain-free as could be as long as the $400 price tag is okay.  But when you think about it, the materials they use are really good and the back place with that huge thermal pad is included in the price.  The only knock on it that I can think of is there is no RGB.  But that's a personal thing and non-performance issue.  The design of the block is really good and it was easy to install.  The hardest part was removing the air cooler from the stock card.  After that it was cake.  

I did purchase the EK velocity and magnitude blocks for the CPU.  I lucked out in a way when I ordered the magnitude it was missing parts so I returned it.  The magnitude block was almost double the price if the Optimus CPU block and they were very similar.  I'd give the edge to the Optimus due to the way the materials are machined like the threads and the materials used seem to be just a little better than the magnitude.  But again, the magnitude was almost double the cost and the velocity doesn't even compare in looks and feel.  

I did a lot of homework on what GPU block to get, and in the end I'm glad I went with Optimus.  When my name gets called for the kingpin, I'm going to be getting the Optimus block for that one as well once they release it.  

I ordered a AMD 5950 last week so once it comes in and I replace my 5800x cpu I will be taking new pictures of my setup for posting.  I also plan on changing out my fans to something with a little more show rgb.  I'm going to try and get the new AL120s from Lian Li to replace my SL120s.  They should provide a little more RGB with a little more air flow as well.  
post edited by Gotspeed_2000 - 2021/07/02 02:23:30

Corsair 1000D Obsidian Case
I9 13900K with EK Velocity 2 Block
ASUS 4090 Strix with Optimus Block
ASUS Hero Z690 Mobo
64GB DDR5 RAM Trident 6000Mhz 
1TB Nvme primary /2*2TB Nvme secondary/1tb & 2TB SSD drive
EVGA 1600 Watt PSU
30 Lian Li AL120 fans
2 * 480mm medium thickness rad, 2 * 360mm medium thickness rad, with
Two EK Pump/res combos.  Custom hard tube loop.  
Samsung G7 32" Monitor
EVGA Z20 Keyboard
Glorious Model O
Grey_Beard
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2233
  • Ribbons : 10
Re: Optimus Block Tracking Thread 2022/03/09 13:04:34 (permalink)
Just ordered four blocks for my recently purchased 3090's, the Matte Black Cerakote version.  Also got some additional black gaskets, as I want to use a new fluid that is black with graphite.  I feel it will stain the white ones if they are the default option.  I will post back when I receive them and what temps I get with the fluid and the blocks.

Page: << < ..67 Showing page 7 of 7
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile