EVGA

GPU Upgrade question, re best card today with 2 6-pin power connectors

Author
alha
  • Total Posts : 81
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/09/20 13:57:04 (permalink)
I recently received a 'donated' from my in-laws Dell XPS PC (that I'd help them configure and buy new back in late 2013, MAN how time flies...), when they were moving and downsizing a couple months ago, having decided that they no longer needed a PC any longer. It's a XPS 8700 I believe, and I had a few years back upgraded the CPU to a 4770 from whatever it'd came with. It's in decent shape, runs ok though obviously not the fastest out there.

After I got it, I was thinking about upgrading it as best as I could to whatever the top of the line CPU that would fit into it, but after looking around I realized that the quite small performance upgrade that it would be from what it currently has, was going to cost at least $150 for the CPU, plus the cost of the memory upgrade, as I wanted to take it up to 32 gig. All in, I'd have well over $400 into it, which made no sense compared to what is available for that amount of money in a new lower(ish) end AMD CPU and MB/memory combo with all the modern technology.

So, I reset my thoughts on it, and decided I would keep the CPU as being good enough, and found a $100 32 gig memory upgrade kit for it, and then bought a Samsung 860 Pro 1TB SSD for it, for about $200. I bought that one, because I felt that if/when I wanted to get rid of the system, I could remove that SSD and move it over to a different system, and plug back in the current 3 1/2" HD, wipe the drive and reload windows, and send it on it's way.

So, now I am looking at upgrading the GPU. I don't remember exactly what it came with (it was some single slot card is all I remember) but as I used to run SETI on my computers, (before they put the project on hiatus, and the fact that they left the machine on all the time), I decided that I would upgrade their GPU to the best reasonably priced one I could find at the time that had the dual 6 pin power connectors (stock Dell PSU limitation), a GTX670. It worked fine for them, crunched SETI ok as well, but it's now 2020, and I was thinking that hopefully there must be an upgraded card that has been made since then that uses this power connection setup.

I know I could read thru the current options available, but for some reason for years now, EVGA has decided that once they no longer make a card, they nuke all the useful info off the site, unless it's hiding somewhere that I hadn't found it. So my question is this, what would be the latest (or at least later, say 9xx series and above) and best card that EVGA made that uses this power setup. I know the xx80's all take dual 8 pins, but are 70 series an option? Again, if this system eventually goes away, I'd be also repurposing this card into another system, so price is less of a concern. Thanks for any suggestions!

13 Replies Related Threads

alha
    Re: GPU Upgrade question, re best card today with 2 6-pin power connectors 2020/09/20 17:58:13 (permalink)
    Oh, and just to clarify, these are straight 6 pins, not the 6+2, if that wasn't obvious from my post.
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: GPU Upgrade question, re best card today with 2 6-pin power connectors 2020/09/21 12:11:52 (permalink)
    alha
    I recently received a 'donated' from my in-laws Dell XPS PC (that I'd help them configure and buy new back in late 2013, MAN how time flies...), when they were moving and downsizing a couple months ago, having decided that they no longer needed a PC any longer. It's a XPS 8700 I believe, and I had a few years back upgraded the CPU to a 4770 from whatever it'd came with. It's in decent shape, runs ok though obviously not the fastest out there.

After I got it, I was thinking about upgrading it as best as I could to whatever the top of the line CPU that would fit into it, but after looking around I realized that the quite small performance upgrade that it would be from what it currently has, was going to cost at least $150 for the CPU, plus the cost of the memory upgrade, as I wanted to take it up to 32 gig. All in, I'd have well over $400 into it, which made no sense compared to what is available for that amount of money in a new lower(ish) end AMD CPU and MB/memory combo with all the modern technology.

So, I reset my thoughts on it, and decided I would keep the CPU as being good enough, and found a $100 32 gig memory upgrade kit for it, and then bought a Samsung 860 Pro 1TB SSD for it, for about $200. I bought that one, because I felt that if/when I wanted to get rid of the system, I could remove that SSD and move it over to a different system, and plug back in the current 3 1/2" HD, wipe the drive and reload windows, and send it on it's way.

So, now I am looking at upgrading the GPU. I don't remember exactly what it came with (it was some single slot card is all I remember) but as I used to run SETI on my computers, (before they put the project on hiatus, and the fact that they left the machine on all the time), I decided that I would upgrade their GPU to the best reasonably priced one I could find at the time that had the dual 6 pin power connectors (stock Dell PSU limitation), a GTX670. It worked fine for them, crunched SETI ok as well, but it's now 2020, and I was thinking that hopefully there must be an upgraded card that has been made since then that uses this power connection setup.

I know I could read thru the current options available, but for some reason for years now, EVGA has decided that once they no longer make a card, they nuke all the useful info off the site, unless it's hiding somewhere that I hadn't found it. So my question is this, what would be the latest (or at least later, say 9xx series and above) and best card that EVGA made that uses this power setup. I know the xx80's all take dual 8 pins, but are 70 series an option? Again, if this system eventually goes away, I'd be also repurposing this card into another system, so price is less of a concern. Thanks for any suggestions!

The EVGA GTX 980 Gaming uses  two six pin PCIe. 

https://www.evga.com/products/specs/gpu.aspx?pn=79503721-FB70-42D3-A68E-4C3C206B2ABA

Here's a link for the product pages with the specs https://www.evga.com/support/specs/

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

alha
    Re: GPU Upgrade question, re best card today with 2 6-pin power connectors 2020/09/21 12:39:30 (permalink)
    Huh, ok, thanks. I might have a 980 around, but thinking about it, it's probably a Ti model, which I think takes 2 8's, but I'll have to check. Wonder if there are any 10 or even 20 series cards that would fit the bill? Worst case, I guess I could do one of those 2 6's to one 8 adapters, but as the 2 6's are double jumpered off of one lead off of the PSU, that might possibly be a little sketchy. Though supposedly the 6's are rated for 75w each, and the 8 is 150w, so theoretically, the 2 would be 150 anyways from that one wire, so I'd be good to go. So, that being so, it might slightly open up the field to a little newer and better performing models?
    aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 17692
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re: GPU Upgrade question, re best card today with 2 6-pin power connectors 2020/09/21 12:43:38 (permalink)
    You can get all kinds of adapters though to fit what you need  - , so it's slightly more important to know how much juice you got for a power supply. 

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    alha
    Re: GPU Upgrade question, re best card today with 2 6-pin power connectors 2020/09/21 12:48:06 (permalink)
    Just took a quick peek, the tag says it's 460 watts.
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: GPU Upgrade question, re best card today with 2 6-pin power connectors 2020/09/21 21:50:02 (permalink)
    alha
    Just took a quick peek, the tag says it's 460 watts.

No offense but your power setup sounds kinda sketchy.
    but as the 2 6's are double jumpered off of one lead off of the PSU, that might possibly be a little sketchy. Though supposedly the 6's are rated for 75w each, and the 8 is 150w, so theoretically, the 2 would be 150 anyways from that one wire, so I'd be good to go.

Might wanna rectify that. Also, while a 'quick peek' is convenient for you, it sure makes it hard for us. How many amps does the PSU have on the +12 volt rails? Is this the OEM Dell power supply?

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

alha
    Re: GPU Upgrade question, re best card today with 2 6-pin power connectors 2020/09/22 07:07:53 (permalink)
    Yes, OEM Dell. Per the label, which I found surprisingly informative for an OEM PSU, 142w total on the 3.3 and 5v rails, and a total of 385w max on the 12v. 18 amps on 12v A, 16 amps on 12v B and 8 amps on 12v C. I personally prefer single rail PSU's, but beggars can't be choosers, unless I want to pony up more money for an upgraded PSU, which I'm really not planning on doing.
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: GPU Upgrade question, re best card today with 2 6-pin power connectors 2020/09/22 07:36:47 (permalink)
    alha
    Yes, OEM Dell. Per the label, which I found surprisingly informative for an OEM PSU, 142w total on the 3.3 and 5v rails, and a total of 385w max on the 12v. 18 amps on 12v A, 16 amps on 12v B and 8 amps on 12v C. I personally prefer single rail PSU's, but beggars can't be choosers, unless I want to pony up more money for an upgraded PSU, which I'm really not planning on doing.

Okay...so between rails A and B you have about 400 watts which should be fine for a 980 level GPU for power draw. The issue you might run into with going with a higher 10 series is motherboard compatibility. You might want do a search around the net to see if your Dell motherboard will work with the 10 series. It should but it's hit and miss.

alha
    Re: GPU Upgrade question, re best card today with 2 6-pin power connectors 2020/09/22 08:04:02 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply, and one quick question. I've built computers off and on for a couple decades, and you mentioned that the MB itself might not support the 10 series GPU's. Other than I'd think physical size, I wasn't aware that there could be incompatibilities with it. I'm certain it's got a PCI-e 1.0 slot being the age it is, but I thought that spec called for backwards compatibility, so I am confused as to what might be the issue. Is it a "Dell Thing"? I'm always learning new things, that's for certain. Thanks!
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: GPU Upgrade question, re best card today with 2 6-pin power connectors 2020/09/22 08:10:21 (permalink)
    alha
    Thanks for the reply, and one quick question. I've built computers off and on for a couple decades, and you mentioned that the MB itself might not support the 10 series GPU's. Other than I'd think physical size, I wasn't aware that there could be incompatibilities with it. I'm certain it's got a PCI-e 1.0 slot being the age it is, but I thought that spec called for backwards compatibility, so I am confused as to what might be the issue. Is it a "Dell Thing"? I'm always learning new things, that's for certain. Thanks!

They are supposed to be backwards compatible. But older non UEFI BIOS (even new UEFI BIOS) sometimes do not recognize hardware correctly and update the ESCD or do not assign motherboard resources correctly. It's not a Dell thing, it is an OEM thing where the BIOS are usually more limited or even locked and tailored to specific hardware and not for compatibility.

alha
    Re: GPU Upgrade question, re best card today with 2 6-pin power connectors 2020/09/22 08:25:40 (permalink)
    Ok, gotcha, thanks for the heads up. I'll do a little digging around for more info on the web, and maybe if I have one laying around, I'll toss it in just to see. I have a number of cards now sitting around since SETI went on hiatus, I'm sure there is at least one 10 series in the group, just need to remember where it is. lol

The only other thing I would like to (hopefully cheaply) replace is the stock CPU cooler. It sort of looks like one of those OEM intel ones that they used to come with, but this is the bottom feeder style, as it doesn't even have the copper puck built into it like the better ones of that style did. I have done some cursory searching, and know that one limiting factor is going to be the height of it, it's about 1-2cm lower that the ones I found when I googled Best CPU cooler for a 4770.

Not surprisingly, most results were from a few years back, and they'd mentioned some names/models I was familiar with, but checking the sizes, they were mostly too tall by a little bit. Any thoughts on that one would be appreciated, as I'm hoping being now a number of years old, I can find one for a very reasonable price on eBay and keep the temps down with less fan noise.
    dorsai3d
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: GPU Upgrade question, re best card today with 2 6-pin power connectors 2020/09/22 12:27:38 (permalink)
    You can use a 1660Ti (or cheaper 16xx, but it's only ~$270 new w/warranty) for sure if you can't find another card around. You'll get 980Ti performance for 120W. It's a single 8-pin and will work fine with a Dell using a dual 6 to single 8 adapter like this: .

Not an affiliate, I just bought the same in this past week.
    alha
    Re: GPU Upgrade question, re best card today with 2 6-pin power connectors 2020/09/30 13:57:34 (permalink)
    Thanks for that suggestion, I decided to just go that way, though almost $300 after tax and shipping for a "lower tier"  2 gen old card (1060 vs. 70 or 80, and 1000 vs 2 or 3000 series) hurt a little bit, but cards seemed to go thru the $ roof I think it was with the 9xx gen, and have never recovered to anywhere close to their previous price levels.

I guess they found out that people would actually pay $5-600+ for a video card, not to mention the over $1000 they are getting today from a good number of ppl. Hey, no one is _forcing_ anyone to spend that much I suppose, though that would mean living with older cards for longer, and we've been pretty well trained to want and need the latest, shiniest object.

So, any suggestions as to a decent air cooler that would fit this CPU in this Dell? As I mentioned, this Dell one seems to be basically the same level as the worst of the Intel OEM coolers, just solid extruded aluminum, not even the copper puck in the bottom. Any suggestions are appreciated!
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile