EVGA

Helpful Reply2080 Ti Kingpin Hybrid Radiator Fans

Author
Synapt
  • Total Posts : 19
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/04/22 10:30:19 (permalink)
So just got this thing, threw it in, it's already beautiful but I do have one oddity I'm not finding any specific details on;

Is the second fan on the radiator purely automatic control?

It's mostly just sitting there flicking on and off for a few moments, but even when it does Precision X1 doesn't show any RPM information for it despite it kicking on long enough that it should.  I tried setting it to a manual speed as well to no avail.  Should I assume the fan to be defunct and replace the fan (or maybe swap the cables first to see if it's a plug issue)?  Or is this normal behavior for the second fan unless temps get real high?
sparetimepc
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2413
  • Ribbons : 27
Re: 2080 Ti Kingpin Hybrid Radiator Fans 2020/04/22 10:45:41 (permalink)
Synapt
So just got this thing, threw it in, it's already beautiful but I do have one oddity I'm not finding any specific details on;

Is the second fan on the radiator purely automatic control?

It's mostly just sitting there flicking on and off for a few moments, but even when it does Precision X1 doesn't show any RPM information for it despite it kicking on long enough that it should.  I tried setting it to a manual speed as well to no avail.  Should I assume the fan to be defunct and replace the fan (or maybe swap the cables first to see if it's a plug issue)?  Or is this normal behavior for the second fan unless temps get real high?

Fan 1 in PX1 is the vrm fan, Fan 2 in PX1 is both of the radiator fans hooked together via the Y cable, and Fan 3 in PX1 is the external fan header on the card by the power connections. Fan 3 will not show anything unless a fan is hooked to the header. If one of those is defective it could very well mess up the other since they are connected via the y cable. A lot of people swapped the fans out for high performance/higher rpm fans anyway. If you go with a very high rpm fans then they won't monitor properly anyway in the original connection on the pcb and then the use of the external fan header is used instead for them to be monitored. Also even if you put the fans at 100% in PX1 they will be not running at the full potential of them, for full control of the fans at 100% capabilities you need to flash the LN2 bios into the OC bios position, there you will maintain temp and voltage protections but gain full functionality of the fans. Here is the link for all your questions to help out knowing the kingpin.  https://xdevs.com/guide/2080ti_kpe/    
post edited by sparetimepc - 2020/04/22 10:51:33

Synapt
Re: 2080 Ti Kingpin Hybrid Radiator Fans 2020/04/22 10:53:42 (permalink)
sparetimepcFan 1 in PX1 is the vrm fan, Fan 2 in PX1 is both of the radiator fans hooked together via the Y cable, and Fan 3 in PX1 is the external fan header on the card by the power connections. Fan 3 will not show anything unless a fan is hooked to the header. If one of those is defective it could very well mess up the other since they are connected via the y cable. A lot of people swapped the fans out for high performance/higher rpm fans anyway.

Replacing the fans was on my eventual to-do but for now I just wanted to get it rigged up as this is replacing a 980Ti that died last week.

The unit came with two fans on the radiator, and two connectors run along the CLC hoses, from the perspective of X1 it seems "Fan1" is the onboard, and "Fan2 / Fan3" are supposed to be the radiator fans.  Strangely Fan2 is hard-limited to no less than 50% (whether auto or manual), but Fan1 and Fan3 can go to 0% (and Fan1, the onboard seemingly does so long as the card is otherwise idle).  But that's what lead me to wonder if Fan3 was entirely automatically controlled despite X1's interface.  I've got the DG-86 case so worst off I'll just plug the bottom fan into one of the rear case fan headers and see what it does.

I just wish I could find a more detailed spec guide on this card, they just sorta link you to the general EVGA GeForce manual but this card is definitely a bit beyond the normal EVGA card lol.
sparetimepc
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: 2080 Ti Kingpin Hybrid Radiator Fans 2020/04/22 11:03:35 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Synapt 2020/04/26 16:25:11
Synapt
sparetimepcFan 1 in PX1 is the vrm fan, Fan 2 in PX1 is both of the radiator fans hooked together via the Y cable, and Fan 3 in PX1 is the external fan header on the card by the power connections. Fan 3 will not show anything unless a fan is hooked to the header. If one of those is defective it could very well mess up the other since they are connected via the y cable. A lot of people swapped the fans out for high performance/higher rpm fans anyway.

Replacing the fans was on my eventual to-do but for now I just wanted to get it rigged up as this is replacing a 980Ti that died last week.

The unit came with two fans on the radiator, and two connectors run along the CLC hoses, from the perspective of X1 it seems "Fan1" is the onboard, and "Fan2 / Fan3" are supposed to be the radiator fans.  Strangely Fan2 is hard-limited to no less than 50% (whether auto or manual), but Fan1 and Fan3 can go to 0% (and Fan1, the onboard seemingly does so long as the card is otherwise idle).  But that's what lead me to wonder if Fan3 was entirely automatically controlled despite X1's interface.  I've got the DG-86 case so worst off I'll just plug the bottom fan into one of the rear case fan headers and see what it does.

I just wish I could find a more detailed spec guide on this card, they just sorta link you to the general EVGA GeForce manual but this card is definitely a bit beyond the normal EVGA card lol.

As long as both fans are hooked via the y connector they should both be running the same unless one of them is messed up. Also make sure you have the most current firmware installed, open PX1, click the little circle in the lower right corner by the version, click where it says update in the window, then a folder will open with firmware files, click the E200-FA42 file which is the newest firmware for the kingpin. 

Synapt
Re: 2080 Ti Kingpin Hybrid Radiator Fans 2020/04/22 11:15:49 (permalink)
sparetimepc

As long as both fans are hooked via the y connector they should both be running the same unless one of them is messed up. Also make sure you have the most current firmware installed, open PX1, click the little circle in the lower right corner by the version, click where it says update in the window, then a folder will open with firmware files, click the E200-FA42 file which is the newest firmware for the kingpin. 

Firmware update didn't seem to change anything really on the fans (second fan is still just going on/off, so going to it's a fan or connector issue, I'll check later tonight).  Though it did update the OLED display to where it fits more things to the display which is nice lol.

Thanks much for the info though.
sparetimepc
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: 2080 Ti Kingpin Hybrid Radiator Fans 2020/04/22 11:21:11 (permalink)
Synapt
sparetimepc

Firmware update didn't seem to change anything really on the fans (second fan is still just going on/off, so going to it's a fan or connector issue, I'll check later tonight).  Though it did update the OLED display to where it fits more things to the display which is nice lol.

Thanks much for the info though.

Your welcome. 

Synapt
Re: 2080 Ti Kingpin Hybrid Radiator Fans 2020/04/26 08:10:20 (permalink)
sparetimepc
Your welcome. 

Sorry to bump this back up but, would you by chance know what the total amperage capacity of this card is for the fans?  I see the default ones pull .20 each (for a total of .40 on the cable), which makes me definitely understand why people are probably replacing them for a bit more oomph, but I can't find a spec sheet anywhere for what the card can safely do.  And this is really not something I wanna risk getting too fancy with (I'd love to throw some speedy LED ones in there) and blowing something lol.
whiskywarrior
  • Total Posts : 88
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: 2080 Ti Kingpin Hybrid Radiator Fans 2020/04/26 14:59:14 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Synapt 2020/04/26 16:24:50
Synapt
sparetimepc
Your welcome. 

Sorry to bump this back up but, would you by chance know what the total amperage capacity of this card is for the fans?  I see the default ones pull .20 each (for a total of .40 on the cable), which makes me definitely understand why people are probably replacing them for a bit more oomph, but I can't find a spec sheet anywhere for what the card can safely do.  And this is really not something I wanna risk getting too fancy with (I'd love to throw some speedy LED ones in there) and blowing something lol.

https://xdevs.com/guide/2080ti_kpe

From xdev page on the 2080 Ti KPE page:
Dual radiator equipped with two 120×120×25 mm PWM fans, made by Power Logic for EVGA. A radiator has mount holes for standard 120mm fan from both sides. If you desire best cooling performance fans can be replaced with higher speed fans. Also, 2 additional fans can be installed on the other side of the radiator to provide push-pull airflow. Maximum current supported by radiator fan power connector is 1.2 A combined.

9900K w/ EVGA CLC 360 and EVGA 2080Ti KPE on ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero

Synapt
Re: 2080 Ti Kingpin Hybrid Radiator Fans 2020/04/26 16:28:25 (permalink)
whiskywarrior

From xdev page on the 2080 Ti KPE page:
Dual radiator equipped with two 120×120×25 mm PWM fans, made by Power Logic for EVGA. A radiator has mount holes for standard 120mm fan from both sides. If you desire best cooling performance fans can be replaced with higher speed fans. Also, 2 additional fans can be installed on the other side of the radiator to provide push-pull airflow. Maximum current supported by radiator fan power connector is 1.2 A combined.

Thanks, didn't think to check the xdevs site again.  For all the info on that page seems like maybe it should be referenced on the specs/manual area for the product page.  But 1.2a should be more than enough to get some higher-powered fans w/ LED lighting going. I just wish the radiator wasn't so difficult to stably mount in the rear of DG-86 case.
Synapt
Re: 2080 Ti Kingpin Hybrid Radiator Fans 2020/06/03 04:33:42 (permalink)
So a brief update to this just in case it helps anyone else, the 1.2A "Maximum" indicated in the xdevs documentation I can only assume is a literal like "We can't even power this" limit.

I'm going by this consideration as I bought two new fans, installed them and at absolute max 100% power they should only be 0.22A.  And yet when both are plugged in you can see a VERY notable draw decrease, meaning that I wasn't even doing .5A and it was literally already pulling so much of a draw that it was reducing the overall capacity of both fans down to maybe a 70-80% total.  Which got really obvious at the 50% minimum as the fans were both running at such a low RPM / % that the bearings were even squeaking.

Maybe this is a defect in my card (Not a big enough of a deal to send it back) or perhaps the 1.2A is a bit of a mis-phrased maximum (as in literal bad maximum and not so much "We can provide a solid 1.2A flow" maximum).  So for the time being I just hooked the radiator fans to the rear two DG86 pins on the case and have it getting controlled by DG Tuner at a minimum 80%.

So yeah, I'd recommend anyone wanting to really juice out the fan controller from this card test with some lower amp fans first, don't try to fill out the full 1.2A right away.
sparetimepc
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: 2080 Ti Kingpin Hybrid Radiator Fans 2020/06/03 05:26:16 (permalink)
Synapt
So a brief update to this just in case it helps anyone else, the 1.2A "Maximum" indicated in the xdevs documentation I can only assume is a literal like "We can't even power this" limit.

I'm going by this consideration as I bought two new fans, installed them and at absolute max 100% power they should only be 0.22A.  And yet when both are plugged in you can see a VERY notable draw decrease, meaning that I wasn't even doing .5A and it was literally already pulling so much of a draw that it was reducing the overall capacity of both fans down to maybe a 70-80% total.  Which got really obvious at the 50% minimum as the fans were both running at such a low RPM / % that the bearings were even squeaking.

Maybe this is a defect in my card (Not a big enough of a deal to send it back) or perhaps the 1.2A is a bit of a mis-phrased maximum (as in literal bad maximum and not so much "We can provide a solid 1.2A flow" maximum).  So for the time being I just hooked the radiator fans to the rear two DG86 pins on the case and have it getting controlled by DG Tuner at a minimum 80%.

So yeah, I'd recommend anyone wanting to really juice out the fan controller from this card test with some lower amp fans first, don't try to fill out the full 1.2A right away.

What fans were you using ?  Did you also try them on the external fan header of the card and get the same results ?

Synapt
Re: 2080 Ti Kingpin Hybrid Radiator Fans 2020/06/09 11:19:50 (permalink)
sparetimepcWhat fans were you using ?  Did you also try them on the external fan header of the card and get the same results ?

Just some Corsair ML120's w/ white LED.  I tested them at about 0.22A at 100% speed so just two of them should have been well under the 1.2A total claimed on the card.

As for the header, assuming you mean the PWM Fan header on the end of the card, I did not.  I didn't have a splitter handy plus I didn't wanna risk overdrawing it if it had a different power output as the xdevs page for the card wasn't explicitly clear if that header shared the same feed or was separate.

But if it's sharing the same draw I would assume it would have the same issue, the cabling definitely didn't seem to be a problem (both female plugs work fine each if used alone, it's just when using both you can see a very distinct power draw impact).

So far it's been pretty functional just running them off the rear DG fan controller ports, keeping them at 80% minimum has been doing well.
sparetimepc
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: 2080 Ti Kingpin Hybrid Radiator Fans 2020/06/09 11:45:37 (permalink)
If you use high rpm fans like 2400 and up thats the fan header that needs to be used, its not limited to the rpms reading like the original header on the card. I was using 2 of the noctuah 3000 rpm fans with a splitter cable on the external header without issues, but if running them on the original header they would not read properly because of the bios being limited to the oem fan specs. 

sparetimepc
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: 2080 Ti Kingpin Hybrid Radiator Fans 2020/06/11 14:21:19 (permalink)
Wow they actually have the kingpin hydro copper in stock right now. https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=400-HC-1589-B1&associatecode=5XTLDFI2DFXIPA7

Wow those went quickly back out of stock. 
post edited by sparetimepc - 2020/06/11 14:49:48

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile