EVGA

Issue with GTX1660Ti in (old) intel mobo

Author
jwk34953
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/02/19 19:21:03 (permalink)
Replaced a GTX960 with a GTX1660Ti (06G-P4-1665-KR). When I installed the drivers for the 1660Ti (WHQL ver 431.60 Re. 2019-07-23), Windows 7 SP1 booted to the Windows splash screen then the screen went black. I installed this in another system with the same motherboard that also had a GTX960 running Windows 7 SP1 and the same driver, same results occurred. Did a fresh install of Win 7 on a new SSD, same results again. No problems on any of the mobos with the GTX960's. The mobo is admittedly old (Intel D975XBX2 LGA775 Quad Core  GHz). The GTX1660Ti produces VGA video up to 1920x1080 when the driver isn't loaded.

If you're wondering why I'm using such an old motherboard and OS, it's because it's my Windows Media Center system which has PlayReady installed on it so I can record FiOS tv, and the encryption is tied to the motherboard, so if I replace the motherboard, I lose all of my recordings made on that system... also, the graphics driver needs to be loaded PlayReady needs a protected path from the source to the monitor/tv.

Any settings, older drivers, etc, that might work or any idea why it doesn't?

Thanks for any help.

5 Replies Related Threads

EVGATech_DanielM
    EVGA Tech Support
    • Total Posts : 1132
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Issue with GTX1660Ti in (old) intel mobo 2020/02/19 22:25:48 (permalink)
    This is a tough one cause it looks like the card is in fact bypassing the fact the system is not UEFI compliant being as old as it is. If you have a chance to check with a spare HD and try a copy of Windows 10 to see if you can replicate it, we would recommend to try that. This very well is looking just like a compatibility issue but I am surprised you were even able to get it past BIOS with a legacy board like that
    jwk34953
    Re: Issue with GTX1660Ti in (old) intel mobo 2020/02/20 07:01:04 (permalink)
    Unclear if you're saying that the motherboard must have UEFI bios to work with the GTX1660Ti, please clarify, and if UEFI bios is a requirement, with what generation of GPUs did that begin? The GTX960 had no issues at all with the motherboard.

Unclear what will be accomplished by installing Win 10... please clarify your thinking here.

I had no problem getting past the the BIOS at startup with the GTX1660Ti. The issue started when I installed the driver. With the driver, it boots up to the Windows splash screen, then goes black. I guess that's the point where the driver is loaded.

It's unfortunate that your specs don't mention anything about 'UEFI' bios in requirements:
    "REQUIREMENTS:
    > 500 Watt or greater power supply.****
    > PCI Express, PCI Express 2.0 or PCI Express 3.0 complient motherboard with one graphics slot.
    > One available 8-pin PCIe power dongle
    > Windows 10 64bit, Windows 7 64bit"

I did my homework before purchasing, this motherboard ticks all the requirements. I don't think there were any UEFI bios motherboards that were PCI Express, I think UEFI bios arrived during PCI Express 2.0 era.

jwk34953
    Re: Issue with GTX1660Ti in (old) intel mobo 2020/02/20 07:21:36 (permalink)
    Board that has been working GTX 960 4GN Superclocked 04G-P4-1962-KR

"REQUIREMENTS:
    > 400 Watt or greater power supply.****
    > PCI Express, PCI Express 2.0 or PCI Express 3.0 compliant motherboard with one graphics slot.
    > Windows 8 32/64bit, Windows 7 32/64bit, Windows Vista 32/64bit, Windows XP"

As you can see, the motherboard requirements are identical.

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31005
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Issue with GTX1660Ti in (old) intel mobo 2020/02/20 09:37:48 (permalink)

PC boots to Windows & you can log on  with the Windows "default" video driver ?

When you load Nvidia driver  WHQL ver 431.60 Re. 2019-07-23 ... black screen happens ? 

After a Forced - Cold reboot - the problem persists ?

Which Nvidia Older drives have you tried ?  (not sure offhand when support for your GPU started)

web search - How to fix black screen problems on Windows 7 - (there are many results)

one result - wikihow.com/Fix-a-Black-Login-Screen-on-Windows-7

This is a Good guide - however it is for Win 10 ---> not sure if there is information that might be helpful on Win 7

Black screen no more
    How to fix black screen problems on Windows 10

When your Windows 10 PC displays a black screen, use this guide to troubleshoot and resolve this issue.

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

jwk34953
    Re: Issue with GTX1660Ti in (old) intel mobo 2020/02/20 10:49:04 (permalink)
    Cool GTX

PC boots to Windows & you can log on  with the Windows "default" video driver ?

Yes. After fresh install of Win 7 x64 SP1, no Nvidia driver I get login screen, can change from low res (can't remember initial res, maybe 800x600? to 1920 x 1080. Create restore point, set network fixed ip address, install chrome, join Windows homegroup, transfer application installation files from another computer on network, set time, create another restore point. 

When you load Nvidia driver  WHQL ver 431.60 Re. 2019-07-23 ... black screen happens ? 

Yes. Install above mentioned Nvidia driver. Only install the basics, Nvidia Experience and 3D drivers not installed. Re-boot, bootup normal thru Windows splash screen, black screen follows. No further video after that. Reboot a second time, result is same- black screen following Windows splash screen. I had the exact same model video card in another computer, Win 7 x64 SP1, same driver, Z97 mobo, all working fine. Moved to  D975 mobo to confirm I didn't have a faulty video card. Same results with this know good card- black screen after Windows splash screen.  

After a Forced - Cold reboot - the problem persists ?

After warm and cold reboots problem persists. Reboot to safe mode select screen, select 'Boot to last known good configuration', uninstall Nvidia drivers, reboot, login screen and desktop have video.

Which Nvidia Older drives have you tried ?  (not sure offhand when support for your GPU started)

None. What version would you suggest?

web search - How to fix black screen problems on Windows 7 - (there are many results)

one result -

This is a Good guide - however it is for Win 10 ---> not sure if there is information that might be helpful on Win 7

Black screen no more

When your Windows 10 PC displays a black screen, use this guide to troubleshoot and resolve this issue.

Thank you for links, will look at the Windows 7 article. No point in installing Windows 10, as mentioned before, Windows Media Center PlayReady copy protection scheme based on encryption key based on motherboard. Changing to a motherboard of the same model has been reported as working, but change to different model doesn't work. Max memory for this D975 mobo is 8GB (eyes rolling). Worst case I'll have to move the GTX960 back to this mobo (had been moved to an ITX mobo because of it's smaller size and better case fit).

Please advise if any further ideas, would really like to use this card in the D975 mobo for above stated reasons.

Thank you

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile