2080ti black waterblock assistance request

Author
tbor_
  • Total Posts : 12
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/12/21 18:00:44 (permalink)
Howdy!

Forgive my ignorance if this is in the wrong area, but I didn't see a waterblock specific section on the forum.

I have a 2080ti black; 11G-P4-2281-KR. I recently tried putting a corsair waterblock on it, but it didn't fit very well (flex issues) and after two tries with two of their blocks, 0.5mm thermal pads at my expense and 3 weeks of support with them I'm giving up.
I know the EVGA 400-HC-1389-B1 is listed as compatible (but not in stock), but can anyone tell me if it's guaranteed compatible? As in, what happens if I order this block from EVGA and say it doesn't fit right, am I stuck with a block I can't use?
I know EKWB has several blocks which also are considered compatible with the 2281, but they do not guarantee it 100% and if in the case there is some strange oddity with my card that doesn't make it fit, I'm left high and dry with a block I can't use.

Are there any other 2281 owners out there with waterblocks installed that can comment?

Cheers!

22 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31005
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: 2080ti black waterblock assistance request 2019/12/21 20:15:29 (permalink)
    Moving to Overclocking, Cooling and Benchmarking

Home » All Forums » [Computer Hardware/Software] » Overclocking, Cooling and Benchmarking

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: 2080ti black waterblock assistance request 2019/12/21 21:49:00 (permalink)
    I have a 2080 Ti Black with a EVGA HC for my GPU and it fit fine.  Most have gone with EK and fit fine.  I don't know of anyone as of yet that has used a Corsair WB but it should also fit fine.  When you say it doesn't fit with .5mm at your expense, are you personally putting another 3rd party pads on there to make it fit?  If so, don't.  You'll damage your GPU if you put too small of a size or not make good contact if they are too big but I think the lowest I've see pads go on these blocks is 1.0/1.2 mm and you're at half.  I'd be extra cautious.

What has Corsair said since this is their block?

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    tbor_
    Re: 2080ti black waterblock assistance request 2019/12/21 22:34:01 (permalink)
    I read on the corsair forums that a few people had to use 0.5mm pads on the memory ic's to stop the warp for their 2080ti's. As for corsair support they're waiting to hear from me how the 0.5mm pads work out, meaning they've given me the blessing to try it. Aside from that they'd want me to RMA the block and shipping CAN to US isn't great, especially this time of year. I'm not sure a RMA would help, as I used the benefits of Amazon to return the first one and get another one. I mean it's possible that I could have received two bad blocks, but, really?

I still have 1mm pads on everything else. I am concerned however that I'm not getting enough contact with 0.5mm on the memory and I'm too chicken to actually boot up and try it. I don't see any imprints on the memory pads when I dissassemble everything either. Sticking with corsairs 1mm pads on the memory caused some pretty serious flex/warping to the point that you'd have to use force to insert the card into a pci-e slot. So that's why I've come here to see if I can find anyone else that has used a different brand of block and doesn't have a problem. :)
    tbor_
    Re: 2080ti black waterblock assistance request 2019/12/22 13:22:44 (permalink)
    I thought I'd add to this. a) I'm glad I was too chicken to boot with 0.5mm pads on the memory and b) I'm thankful for GTXJackBauer's concern.

For science I decided to double up my 0.5mm pads on the memory. Doing this definately gave me contact and imprint.
    However, this also brought back the warping, though not as servere as the stock 1mm pads but still too much for me to entertain the idea of shoving it into a pci-e slot.
    I also noticed the tim spread wasn't as good with my doubled 0.5mm compared to single 0.5mm, though this could be because I don't tighten the screws like a madman.

It makes sense that I should go ahead with either an EK or EVGA block next. I'll just have to suffer its gross air cooler a little while longer. ;)

Perhaps someone here can verify my assumption that there's no significant difference between EK's Vector RTX / Vector RTX RE / RTX Classic blocks with the 2281 black?

Have a super day!
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: 2080ti black waterblock assistance request 2019/12/23 01:09:03 (permalink)
    Glad I can help.  

You don't torque the screws all the way or to a stripping point but you do tighten them down before too much force is needed.  Eventually the block will press down on the pads and your contact will improve.  You usually start with the GPU screws around the socket area at half turns for each screw in a cross pattern so you get the paste to spread out evenly as much as you can and than move outwards around the PCB.  You'll check each screw to make sure none of them are loose and wallah!  You might get some warping, especially when it sits in the PCIe lane since it has weight.  This is not out of the ordinary but if it bothers you so much, you could remedy that situation with a GPU holder.

When you reference the 'classic block', are you referring to EVGA's block?  If so, the EK block performs better.  EK blocks are known to be great GPU blocks.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    tbor_
    Re: 2080ti black waterblock assistance request 2019/12/23 11:45:46 (permalink)
    I think I should clarify what I mean by warp as perhaps I'm using the wrong term.
    After attaching the 8+ screws surrounding the die, the pci-e connector aka golden fingers is what warps and by that I mean curves. You know how your pci-e slot is straight? Well, the part of the video card you stick into that isn't straight anymore and to make it go in you'd have to use a significant amount of force. I'm pretty sure no sane person would even attempt that.

The corsair block is my first deviation from EK, I blame my impatience and Amazon. Otherwise I've been using EK for my gpu's since the core 2 duo 8800gtx days. I've never seen this type of pci-e connector warp in a video card after installing a block before, so I guess it has me rattled, wondering if my 2281 black is a new revision or something since they were verified as compatible with block vendors. I mean, if it HAS changed and I order from someone who doesn't have a generous return policy like Amazon, I'm stuck with it because it's not broken, you know what I mean?

As for the 'classic block' I'm referring to EKWB. "EK Classic Product Line that is characterized by minimalistic and clean design while maintaining class-leading performance." If you look at the EK shop website, there is a tab called Classic that contains those products. They're separate from the Water Blocks tab for some reason. They also seem a little bit cheaper, but not by a whole lot.
    So for EK, they've got
    • EK-FC RTX 2080 +Ti Classic
    • EK-Vector RTX 2080 Ti
    • EK-Vector RTX RE Ti
    • EK-Quantum Vector RTX RE Ti
    I can't imagine they're significantly different? When did EK get so complicated, I seem to recall there being only one product line for my 1070FTW! :p

I was considering an EVGA block, after all how could it not fit/work, but it's been out of stock for a while now. And if you're saying EK is better and all ;)

Perhaps I'm just being punished for defying the EK gods...

notfordman
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10345
    • Ribbons : 28
    Re: 2080ti black waterblock assistance request 2019/12/23 13:31:27 (permalink)
    I would be concerned with the warping there as well. I wouldn't force it in either. Sounds like you're on the right track. 
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: 2080ti black waterblock assistance request 2019/12/23 17:18:09 (permalink)
    The only thing I would be cautious with which I still don't know why they even did this is make sure to separate their aluminum 'Fluid Gaming' line and everything else they sell.  I always worried some novice out there would make the mistake to include both and have a disaster at their hands.

After checking their site, the 'Classic' isn't part of the 'Fluid Gaming' all aluminum line which is their more affordable line.

I'm actually boggled by your PCIe warp statement.  Are you able to share some images with us?  Maybe it's the MB's PCIe lane as some MB's have reinforced versions. 

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    tbor_
    Re: 2080ti black waterblock assistance request 2019/12/23 18:42:57 (permalink)
    Unfortunately I don't have images from when I first assembled the block. The warping problem was much more pronounced then, once I saw it I disassembled everything immediately before even thinking to take pictures. What I do have are images with screws that have been half turned after catching the thread, aside from the main die screws which got more, but not too much.

You might be on to something with the reinforced PCI-e slot, as my motherboard does have one. Either way, if you look at the images closely, you can see how much the pcbs warps/flexes up and down. It's nothing like this with the stock cooler. And I've never had a gpu/block combo in the past do anything remotely like this.

Yeah, I'm not sure what EK is doing. So far from digging all I can really find out is that the "EK-Vector RTX RE Ti" is slightly better than the "EK-Vector RTX 2080 Ti" because it's 'newer and improved'. As for where the "Classic" comes in, I have no idea and I would assume the Quantum variant is the Vector with addressible RBG. I'm going to assume there's virtually no temperature difference and just order what Dazmode has cheapest, unless EK has a really good boxing day sale or something.
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: 2080ti black waterblock assistance request 2019/12/23 22:19:50 (permalink)
    Ok now I see it.  Are the main screws around the GPU through their threads.  Maybe one skipped one and is just poking at it.  Idk...it's tough to tell from here.  Maybe their blocks are slightly out of spec or pads?

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    tbor_
    Re: 2080ti black waterblock assistance request 2019/12/23 22:32:09 (permalink)
    They were mostly through yes. At the time I could have tightened them more, but I wasn't keen on that idea as it'd increase the curvature of the PCB.
    When I went down to my own 0.5mm pads the problem disappeared, but there wasn't enough memory contact. When I doubled my 0.5mm pads I'd say it was half of what it appears in the images. I know - it doesn't make any sense. Except maybe that my pads were more squishy, the stock ones were kind of stiff.
    Not to worry though, I mean I've sent the block back to Amazon for a refund. I more or less came here looking to see if others had any issues with EVGA or EKWB on their cards, which you've graciously informed me they haven't.
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: 2080ti black waterblock assistance request 2019/12/24 06:50:09 (permalink)
    I think you'll do great with a EK block since EVGA's is out of stock.

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    tbor_
    Re: 2080ti black waterblock assistance request 2020/01/06 17:49:03 (permalink)
    Thought I'd update, the EK block came in today. It screwed together much nicer than the other block. It looks pretty good all around, I think?

What do any of you think? It'll actually go into a pci-e slot without effort now, which the last one didn't. Just that bit of curve on the connector that bothers me, but I'm assuming that's within acceptance? I'm thinking my card might just be weird.

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: 2080ti black waterblock assistance request 2020/01/06 19:22:55 (permalink)
    I had to twist my head just to see that image.  Felt like my head was going to fall off my body.  Must be the cold I got. 

Anyways, looks good on my end.  Just make sure to leak test for 24hrs before powering everything on.

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    tbor_
    Re: 2080ti black waterblock assistance request 2020/01/06 19:34:05 (permalink)
    Thanks for the input, I've never had curve like that before, so this is new to me.

It'll get a good 24 hours. I'm using my first 2x45 fitting. I'm still living in the stone age with barbs, soft tubing and worm drive clamps. It's not a pretty setup, but it'll work.

Hope you get well soon!
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: 2080ti black waterblock assistance request 2020/01/06 20:22:58 (permalink)
    if the end plate of the card & ruler are both touching the desk - its probably not the card causing the gap at the bottom that your seeing

Its hard to tell in your photo, even when enlarged

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

tbor_
    Re: 2080ti black waterblock assistance request 2020/01/06 20:39:32 (permalink)
    The ruler isn't touching the desk. I'm just holding it to the flattest part of the connector. Taking phone pictures with my left hand isn't my stong point it seems.

kevinc313
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5004
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: 2080ti black waterblock assistance request 2020/01/07 11:30:03 (permalink)
    The majority of PCB's have natural warp to them.
    tbor_
    Re: 2080ti black waterblock assistance request 2020/01/07 15:04:39 (permalink)
    kevinc313
    The majority of PCB's have natural warp to them.

Yeah, I've heard that, just never seen it for myself. With no block or using the stock cooler the warp isn't there, that's why I got worried.
    No one here has indicated that what I have isn't normal though, so now I wait for the leak test to run its course and I'll see how temperatures are tomorrow night.
    tbor_
    Re: 2080ti black waterblock assistance request 2020/01/08 20:31:04 (permalink)
    All seems well, pinned the cpu and gpu for an hour, gpu didn't go above 45C. I'm sure that'll change in the summer, but not by too much.

Thanks everyone for your input/help!
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: 2080ti black waterblock assistance request 2020/01/08 20:34:20 (permalink)
    tbor_
    All seems well, pinned the cpu and gpu for an hour, gpu didn't go above 45C. I'm sure that'll change in the summer, but not by too much.

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: 2080ti black waterblock assistance request 2020/01/10 09:57:05 (permalink)
    tbor_

that is Great

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile