3900x or 9900K

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
kevinc313
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5004
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 22
Re: 3900x or 9900K 2019/12/09 06:47:01 (permalink)
Squall_Rinoa86
kevinc313
random_matt
People really recommend a security flawed product, high power consumption product, and justify with synthetic benchmarks? Performance is negligible, and outside of gaming it gets trounced. Damn, time to take off fanboy hats.

Preach it brother.   AMD will be dominating the 3DMark HOF any day now.

https://www.3dmark.com/hall-of-fame-2/

No Ryzen Yet... GG

In other news, i7 9700K or the 9900K. Cant go wrong with either. I have an i7 9700K with 2 1080 Ti's and its flawless thus far.

9700K is highly underrated, especially for the prices it is going for now.  Strap a good cooler and some FAST ram to it on the right MB, it will be a powerhouse gaming.
cneuhauser
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1334
  • Ribbons : 5
Re: 3900x or 9900K 2020/01/06 13:05:46 (permalink)
9800x here...

It really depends on your gaming style as well, I have NVMEs, a DAC, and a streaming capture card... all pcie that I'm pretty sure run off of the processor PCIE lanes. The problem with the 9900k from my minimal knowledge is that the processor only has 16 PCIE lanes, so anything else that goes into those slots pulls away from the GPU lanes; granted it's only 1% difference in performance from what I'm told, but I'd still rather give my GPU some breathing room, and make sure my NVMe and DAC also (PCIE) get the bandwidth they need.

This is the issue I had all along with the 9900k fanfare, and all of the "BEST PROCESSOR FOR GAMING EVER MADE" garbage. It's really not, it's similar to going out and buying a Porsche Turbo with BFGoodrich, Continental, or Radar Dimax tires... ****?! If you don't wrap those wheels in high dollar rubber, it's a waste.

Just for clarification, my 9800x is at 4.7ghz, could probably push it harder to 4.8ghz with more voltage, AND I have 46 (as I recall) PCIE lanes on the processor, as well as 18-20 PCIE lanes on the X299 chipset. There will never be a bottleneck when I'm gaming... until PCIE 4.0. Herein lies my heartburn with Intel over the last few years, a supposed gaming processor (9900k) with limited PCIE lanes, and then the whole line of Intel processors including my 9800x isn't compatible with PCIE 4.0 which in some tests is showing 100% speed gains. Intel is lagging behind here, and trying to make up for it with quick gimmicks... they sat on their lower posterior for a long time and AMD has caught up, and in some cases surpassed Intel.

The next two years should be VERY telling, as to how Intel responds... gimme 5.0ghz stable boost clock, with room for OC'ing, on a 6 or 8 core processor, that has 46 (or more) PCIE 4.0 lanes, and I'll hand you my wallet... are you listening INTEL??? Oh and lets jump on the NM band wagon and shrink that die size please! FFS

Entho Evolv Anthracite Grey
ASUS ROG E-Gaming X299
i7 9800x 4.8ghz on water (Cuplex Vision block) 
EVGA RTX 2080 XC Ultra / Water / EK Block
GSkill Trident Z - 32gig
2x Samsung 1TB SSD Evo
Intel SSD 730 Series 240GB 
Windows 10 Ultimate  
EVGA 1600 SuperNova T2 
Samsung G7 Faker 32" 240hz monitor
Asus ROG Swift PG329Q 175hz monitor
SteelSeries Arctis Pro+DAC
B&W 801s, Driven by Sumo Amp via DAC
kevinc313
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: 3900x or 9900K 2020/01/06 14:53:50 (permalink)
cneuhauser
9800x here...

It really depends on your gaming style as well, I have NVMEs, a DAC, and a streaming capture card... all pcie that I'm pretty sure run off of the processor PCIE lanes. The problem with the 9900k from my minimal knowledge is that the processor only has 16 PCIE lanes, so anything else that goes into those slots pulls away from the GPU lanes; granted it's only 1% difference in performance from what I'm told, but I'd still rather give my GPU some breathing room, and make sure my NVMe and DAC also (PCIE) get the bandwidth they need.

This is the issue I had all along with the 9900k fanfare, and all of the "BEST PROCESSOR FOR GAMING EVER MADE" garbage. It's really not, it's similar to going out and buying a Porsche Turbo with BFGoodrich, Continental, or Radar Dimax tires... ****?! If you don't wrap those wheels in high dollar rubber, it's a waste.

Just for clarification, my 9800x is at 4.7ghz, could probably push it harder to 4.8ghz with more voltage, AND I have 46 (as I recall) PCIE lanes on the processor, as well as 18-20 PCIE lanes on the X299 chipset. There will never be a bottleneck when I'm gaming... until PCIE 4.0. Herein lies my heartburn with Intel over the last few years, a supposed gaming processor (9900k) with limited PCIE lanes, and then the whole line of Intel processors including my 9800x isn't compatible with PCIE 4.0 which in some tests is showing 100% speed gains. Intel is lagging behind here, and trying to make up for it with quick gimmicks... they sat on their lower posterior for a long time and AMD has caught up, and in some cases surpassed Intel.

The next two years should be VERY telling, as to how Intel responds... gimme 5.0ghz stable boost clock, with room for OC'ing, on a 6 or 8 core processor, that has 46 (or more) PCIE 4.0 lanes, and I'll hand you my wallet... are you listening INTEL??? Oh and lets jump on the NM band wagon and shrink that die size please! FFS

All the hype about PCIe is way overblown.  2080 Ti's run fine at Gen 3.0 8x and NVMe drives run fine on chipset lanes.  We're talking less than 1% differences.

Yeah it would be great to have more lanes but honestly you really only need it for storage on servers or crazy high bandwidth applications.
vegajf51
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 561
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: 3900x or 9900K 2020/01/06 19:50:49 (permalink)
kevinc313
cneuhauser
9800x here...

All the hype about PCIe is way overblown.  2080 Ti's run fine at Gen 3.0 8x and NVMe drives run fine on chipset lanes.  We're talking less than 1% differences.

Yeah it would be great to have more lanes but honestly you really only need it for storage on servers or crazy high bandwidth applications.

PCI-E gen 4 really shines on the chipset where it even benefits non gen 4 components. On an Intel build trying to raid two Samsung 970 nvme drives will bottle neck the x4 lanes on the chipset. Where if they where x4 pci-e gen 4 they wouldn't like on X570. Content creators tend to copy their projects around to edit them, more speed the better. You are correct though most average non enthusiast won't notice, but the average non enthusiast also thinks the Xbox is just as good as a PC for gaming. Enthusiast tend to want the best even if they don't need it or can even really use it.... Ferrari's entire business model depends on it.
kevinc313
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: 3900x or 9900K 2020/01/06 19:58:25 (permalink)
vegajf51
kevinc313
cneuhauser
9800x here...

PCI-E gen 4 really shines on the chipset where it even benefits non gen 4 components. On an Intel build trying to raid two Samsung 970 nvme drives will bottle neck the x4 lanes on the chipset. Where if they where x4 pci-e gen 4 they wouldn't like on X570. Content creators tend to copy their projects around to edit them, more speed the better. You are correct though most average non enthusiast won't notice, but the average non enthusiast also thinks the Xbox is just as good as a PC for gaming. Enthusiast tend to want the best even if they don't need it or can even really use it.... Ferrari has made a business of it.

I had a pair of 1TB EX920's in Raid 0 on a Z390 chipset as a boot drive with no real benefit.  Bought a Optane 900P 280GB U.2 that is connected to the chipset through a M.2 cable/adapter, works fantastic as an OS drive, 175 MB/s 4K in Crystal Diskmark.  Have the EX920's on the chipset as general/game storage and second boot drive, out of raid.  Would like to have them in raid 0 on a pcie 8x m.2 raid card, but can't justify the cost since I don't need the throughput.
post edited by kevinc313 - 2020/01/06 20:06:04
vegajf51
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 561
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: 3900x or 9900K 2020/01/07 05:37:27 (permalink)
kevinc313
I had a pair of 1TB EX920's in Raid 0 on a Z390 chipset as a boot drive with no real benefit.  Bought a Optane 900P 280GB U.2 that is connected to the chipset through a M.2 cable/adapter, works fantastic as an OS drive, 175 MB/s 4K in Crystal Diskmark.  Have the EX920's on the chipset as general/game storage and second boot drive, out of raid.  Would like to have them in raid 0 on a pcie 8x m.2 raid card, but can't justify the cost since I don't need the throughput.

The z390 chipset will bottleneck Raid 0 NVME as its only pcie gen 3.0 X 4 or 3.9 GB/s, a single Samsung 970 is already hitting the limit, that is why I said gen 4 really benefits the chipset even with non gen 3 devices. The DMI 3.0 link is just 4 lanes from the cpu, by going gen 4 the link speed doubles.

Optane truly is the best for an OS drive as you stated. Raid 0 is better for editing scratch drives where raw sequential is most important. The ideal setup on x570 is an Optane boot drive connected directly to the cpu via M.2 and Raid a couple of NVME's off the chipset, all without using a single pcie slot and nothing is bottlenecked.
kevinc313
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: 3900x or 9900K 2020/01/07 06:08:35 (permalink)
vegajf51
kevinc313

The z390 chipset will bottleneck Raid 0 NVME as its only pcie gen 3.0 X 4 or 3.9 GB/s, a single Samsung 970 is already hitting the limit, that is why I said gen 4 really benefits the chipset even with non gen 3 devices. The DMI 3.0 link is just 4 lanes from the cpu, by going gen 4 the link speed doubles.

Optane truly is the best for an OS drive as you stated. Raid 0 is better for editing scratch drives where raw sequential is most important. The ideal setup on x570 is an Optane boot drive connected directly to the cpu via M.2 and Raid a couple of NVME's off the chipset, all without using a single pcie slot and nothing is bottlenecked.

Was aware of that before I did it, did it anyway just out of curiosity.  There were certain benchmark measurable benefits but no overall benefit to the Raid 0.

Considered switching to an ASRock Taichi Z390 which supposedly has it's CPU lanes allocated as 8x/4x/4x which would allow various raids or possibly an Optane cpu pcie lane boot without hogging a full 8x slot.   Have also considered the Asus WS Pro Z390 with bifurcation.

Got the U.2 with m.2 adapter so I didn't have to deal with any issues booting off cpu pcie.  It dropped right in, same drive image.  CPU vs. Chipset lanes doesn't amount to much of a difference, the drive benches just as good as anything.

Also looked at getting a couple smaller Optane M.2's and putting them in Raid 0, cost/benefit ratio wasn't there. The 900P is a beast and I got it for like $150 after selling off the star citizen code.
post edited by kevinc313 - 2020/01/07 06:43:55
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile