Run fans without PX1?

Author
Graphite8five
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 660
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 3
2019/05/25 02:17:04 (permalink)
Can I set all three fans to run statically without PX1 having to run? I tried this and it appeared to work except that one fan was stop starting.

Maximus XI Hero, 8700K 5Ghz delid, EKWB Custom loop ,Dominator RGB 3400Mhz 16GB, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3 EK Vector, Seasonic Prime Platinum 1300W, Asus PG349Q 34" 120hz G-Sync, Phanteks Eclipse P600S. 

7 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31005
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Run fans without PX1? 2019/05/25 02:28:15 (permalink)
    should be able to set a Static speed

What % did you try ?

Select a Profile Number 0-9 - then Make sure to hit Apply button, then Save Button

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Graphite8five
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 660
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Run fans without PX1? 2019/05/25 03:20:34 (permalink)
    Cool GTX

What % did you try ?

Select a Profile Number 0-9 - then Make sure to hit Apply button, then Save Button

On the OC BIOS the first fan runs at a constant 20%, maybe the problem is setting the other two fans statically lower than 20%. I've set all three to 22%, closed off PX1 and the fans continue to spin so... What about overclock's? Can you load a OC and close of PX1 too?

Maximus XI Hero, 8700K 5Ghz delid, EKWB Custom loop ,Dominator RGB 3400Mhz 16GB, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3 EK Vector, Seasonic Prime Platinum 1300W, Asus PG349Q 34" 120hz G-Sync, Phanteks Eclipse P600S. 
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21174
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Run fans without PX1? 2019/05/25 07:02:37 (permalink)
    Graphite8five
    Cool GTX

What % did you try ?

On the OC BIOS the first fan runs at a constant 20%, maybe the problem is setting the other two fans statically lower than 20%. I've set all three to 22%, closed off PX1 and the fans continue to spin so... What about overclock's? Can you load a OC and close of PX1 too?

Setting the fans to a static 22% is a dangerous thing to do; because when you start doing something GPU intensive, the card will get hotter and hotter and hotter and the fans will never speed up, because you told them to stay at one speed. It would be better to just leave the fans operating in their default Auto mode controlled by the BIOS or MCU as necessary.

"Run fans without PX1?"

Yeah, they run themself. Just leave them alone instead of doing more harm than good.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2019/05/25 09:34:56

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

randomnut
    • Total Posts : 5
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Run fans without PX1? 2019/05/25 11:10:08 (permalink)
    Hi I would also like to know this. I am getting really aggrivated with the clicking noise coming from the 2080 xc ultra fans so I need to set a fan profile to have the fans spinning at all times.

While I can set the profile and save and close the program and the fans still spin, if I reboot it is lost.  Is there any way to save this info to the card? So the fans always start at 20% no matter what, and not have to have precision load every time to load the profile?

thanks
    post edited by randomnut - 2019/05/25 11:19:15
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21174
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Run fans without PX1? 2019/05/25 11:43:55 (permalink)
    randomnut
    Is there any way to save this info to the card? So the fans always start at 20% no matter what, and not have to have precision load every time to load the profile?

Nope.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31005
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Run fans without PX1? 2019/05/25 11:46:39 (permalink)
    Set the Fans @ 30% - 40% static for light loads - web browsing & Office work

Set fans to 70% - 80 % for gaming ---> [If your Temps are good] - Or you can run them higher if the sound is not an issue for you

Benchmarks 100% All fans even case fans & turn on the AC

RE Automatic Fans have quiet mode ---> I'm not sure if hysteresis works when X1 is Closed.  Default of 0 allows the fans to "hunt'  off/on/off/on - I would set it to 5 or higher

A hysteresis of 5 - the Temp to reduce the Fan RPM would have to be 5 C lower than the Temp that turned the fan On

Increasing the airflow through your case with case fans can keep your GPU cooler with less on-card fan speed to a point

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: Run fans without PX1? 2019/05/25 13:00:57 (permalink)
    The fans will have a minimum/maximum fan speed percent where the horizontal dotted lines are located in the Fan Curve Editor as shown here (20/100) and depends on which BIOS you're using..The Primary/Master will allow for zero-fan operation..I think the Secondary/Slave will run the all fans (not just the GPU fan) in low-rpm mode (a minimum of 20%) no matter how low the temps get.

A long time ago I wondered if overclock settings remained after Precision was closed, so I tried it to find out, and I did 

PX16 and earlier (with 'Start Up On' enabled) and MSI Afterburner (with 'Apply overclocking at system startup' enabled) will write to the Graphics Driver and apply an OC at Windows Startup when the driver loads, not just after the utilites themselves load and run..PX1/PXOC won't do that.

If you want an overclock to apply at Windows startup without any software being run, install MSI Afterburner, apply your overclock in Precision (or Afterburner), close Precision and open Afterburner and enable 'Apply overclocking at system startup', then close Afterburner and just use Precision from there on out..But don't forget you did that..All that will be lost if you install/reinstall a Grahics Driver.

If you want to have the fans (at least the GPU fan, and maybe the other fans, I don't know) to start at a fixed manual speed, set them in Precision, close Precision, open Afterburner, enable 'Apply overclocking at system startup', close Afterburner..That should probably do it, just like with the clock speeds.

Precision and Afterburner can work together on most things if you know how to do it and become familiar with how they interact with each other, especially the 'Apply overclocking at system startup' button in Afterburner which will write Precision's overclock/fan settings to the Graphics Driver and isn't software dependent.

That should give you something to play with for a while and see what works, or doesn't. 

ty_ger07
    Setting the fans to a static 22% is a dangerous thing to do; because when you start doing something GPU intensive, the card will get hotter and hotter and hotter and the fans will never speed up, because you told them to stay at one speed. It would be better to just leave the fans operating in their default Auto mode controlled by the BIOS or MCU as necessary.
    "Run fans without PX1?"

Yeah, they run themself. Just leave them alone instead of doing more harm than good.

True story.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile