2080ti FTW3: where is the quiet bios?

Author
Sphericube
  • Total Posts : 42
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/03/11 08:19:17 (permalink)
Hello,
I am a happy new customer with my first EVGA card: 2080ti FTW3 :)
Everything is all right except for noise level during gaming :( 
Indeed, I have a silent PC and this card is really loud compare to ma previous MSI 1080ti TRIO X which was dead silent!
But I am sure the cooler efficiency is better on the FTW3 because despite of its high TDP it can keep the temperature very low during load (about 63°c).
So, I have 2 questions:
1) what's the point to make fans ramping up so high just to keep temperature so low? Performance should be almost the same with letting the card reaching about 70°c with silent profile fan.
2) what's the point having a second bios exactly the same but even louder?

I have chosen EVGA because of its good support service reputation, so please EVGA, show that you care about your customers and provide a silent bios so we can enjoy our FTW3 in silent PC :)
Thank you in advance!

post edited by Sphericube - 2019/03/11 08:22:08

"J'adorerais changer le monde, mais ils ne veulent pas me fournir le code source"

14 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31005
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: 2080ti FTW3: where is the quiet bios? 2019/03/11 09:00:00 (permalink)
    Welcome to the EVGA Forums, Congrats on your First Post

With X1 you can set a Custom fan Profile

2nd / Slave BIOS has higher settings for even more performance

Nvidia's built in Boost 4.0 technology will step the MHz down in 13 MHz steps as your card gets hotter ---> this is Not the Thermal throttling @ extrem temps

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Sphericube
    Re: 2080ti FTW3: where is the quiet bios? 2019/03/11 09:39:28 (permalink)
    Thank you!
    Yes, I think it's the only way right now, even it's still in beta version.
    But the problem with running Precision X1 is stutters!
    Indeed, it produces stutters every 1 second when it's running in the background.
    During games I see the stutters every second with an instant fps drop.
    The same during benchmarks with lower scores.
    When I close Precision X1 then everything is back to normal (no more stutters)
    I think it's related to the the polling period to refresh the hardware monitor.

So, with my new and expensive card, I have to choose between noisy fan profile (both bios) or stutters with Precision X1 

post edited by Sphericube - 2019/03/11 10:18:59

"J'adorerais changer le monde, mais ils ne veulent pas me fournir le code source"

AHowes
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6681
    • Ribbons : 27
    Re: 2080ti FTW3: where is the quiet bios? 2019/03/11 11:47:42 (permalink)
    Dont control the fans.. meaning dont let px1 control the fans if that's possible. Let the cards bios control it automatically. Card will run hotter though with slow late starting fans.

Or you could try setting all 3 fans to the minimum you can bare before the heat gets crazy at 80c. Then set a 75% speed on all 3 for that temp and above synced to the GPU temp. Normally ea fan is controlled by the temp from gpu,mem and power. So highlight the letter G so all 3 fans hopefully sync to the GPU temp. That's how it was for the older pxoc software.

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.2Ghz Single HUGE Custom Water Loop.
    Asus Z390 ROG Extreme XI MB
    G.Skill Trident Z 32GB (4x8GB) 4266MHz DDR4 
    EVGA 2080ti K|NGP|N w/ Hydro Copper block.  
    34" Dell Alienware AW3418DW 1440 Ultra Wide GSync Monitor
    Thermaltake Core P7 Modded w/ 2x EK Dual D5 pump top,2 x EK XE 480 2X 360 rads.1 Corsair 520 Rad.
    AHowes
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6681
    • Ribbons : 27
    Re: 2080ti FTW3: where is the quiet bios? 2019/03/11 11:49:48 (permalink)
    Other then that the only way to get silence would be to go with a custom water loop and evga 2080ti ftw3 hydro block. Might work with a hybrid cooler but some complain about loud pumps and fans.

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.2Ghz Single HUGE Custom Water Loop.
    Asus Z390 ROG Extreme XI MB
    G.Skill Trident Z 32GB (4x8GB) 4266MHz DDR4 
    EVGA 2080ti K|NGP|N w/ Hydro Copper block.  
    34" Dell Alienware AW3418DW 1440 Ultra Wide GSync Monitor
    Thermaltake Core P7 Modded w/ 2x EK Dual D5 pump top,2 x EK XE 480 2X 360 rads.1 Corsair 520 Rad.
    Baratak
    • Total Posts : 72
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: 2080ti FTW3: where is the quiet bios? 2019/03/11 12:12:38 (permalink)
    I set my overclock in X1, then close it.  I don't leave it running in the background.

If you do want to leave it running and it is causing stuttering, I would try stopping all the HW monitoring aspects of it. 

Sphericube
    Re: 2080ti FTW3: where is the quiet bios? 2019/03/11 13:11:28 (permalink)
    AHowes
    Dont control the fans.. meaning dont let px1 control the fans if that's possible. Let the cards bios control it automatically. 

As I said, both bios have aggressive fan profile, so we have double bios, but both are too loud for a silent PC 

AHowes
    Other then that the only way to get silence would be to go with a custom water loop and evga 2080ti ftw3 hydro block. Might work with a hybrid cooler but some complain about loud pumps and fans.
    No need for risky watercooling when we have such a great air cooling system as the one provided with the FTW3.
    Pity to not use this efficient cooling to provide a more silent bios, because there is plenty room to let the temperature rise a bit (from 63°c to 70°c) without sacrificing performance and staying quiet at around 1400 rpm.

Just look the difference with the Asus 2080ti Strix quiet bios:

What's the point in providing 2 bios but almost the same?

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: 2080ti FTW3: where is the quiet bios? 2019/03/11 13:16:46 (permalink)
    Sphericube

The OS Bios is there for you up update and play with.
    You can create your own Silent or Quit Bios.
    And if you Kill the OC Bios you have the Normal one to fall back on and re-flash OC Bios back to the Default and not Brick your Card all together.

There is nothing Really Risky about Water Cooling your Computer CPU, GPU or even Motherboard only Fear of doing it.
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2019/03/11 13:26:57

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

Sphericube
    Re: 2080ti FTW3: where is the quiet bios? 2019/03/11 13:24:53 (permalink)
    Baratak
    I set my overclock in X1, then close it.  I don't leave it running in the background.

If you do want to leave it running and it is causing stuttering, I would try stopping all the HW monitoring aspects of it. 

After closing Precision X1, the card doesn't keep the settings for the fan profile. It uses its bios fan profil again, which is too loud.
    I have tried to disable monitoring, but for some reasons, the stutters continue every single second precisely.
    I've noticed when you decrease the Windows process priority of Precision X1, then the fps drop is a bit less severe.
    But each time Precision restarts, it runs to normal priority process.

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: 2080ti FTW3: where is the quiet bios? 2019/03/11 13:25:39 (permalink)
    To use a Fan Profile in PX1, PX1 must stay running for it to work.

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

Sphericube
    Re: 2080ti FTW3: where is the quiet bios? 2019/03/11 13:29:05 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh
    Sphericube

The OS Bios is there for you up update and play with.
    You can create your own Silent or Quit Bios.
    And if you Kill the OC Bios you have the Normal one to fall back on and re-flash OC Bios back to the Default and not Brick your Card all together.

There is nothing Really Risky about Water Cooling your Computer CPU, GPU or even Motherboard only Fear of it.

No, you can't "create your own Silent or Quit Bios", because you can't flash a customized or modified bios to your card without the proper digital signature.
    Since Maxwell, it's no more possible, because no one has yet cracked the key to sign any bios...

Robert_Stevens
    • Total Posts : 11
    Re: 2080ti FTW3: where is the quiet bios? 2019/06/22 02:15:44 (permalink)
    Hi Sphericube,

Was wondering if you had any luck getting quiet performance from the FTW3 Ultra (assuming it is the Ultra version you're talking about)?

I have a choice to make between the 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra and the XC Ultra - the price is virtually the same (only £50 in it) and thus was tempted to go with the FTW3 as normally it costs a lot more, but am worried about noise levels and reviews are all over the place, some saying it's super quiet with others (such as TPU and yourself) that it's noisy...

The performance at stock is pretty much the same, but it's significantly larger and uses a lot more power - if it's louder than the XC Ultra then it makes little sense to me, even though it's a great deal at £1,150 (as far as RTX prices go at least!).

I opened a thread on this recently here, but not had any replies from owners such as yourself: 

I had thought about setting up a custom fan profile, but was not aware you had to keep PX1 running in the background!

Thanks.
    post edited by Robert_Stevens - 2019/06/22 04:09:03
    Sphericube
    Re: 2080ti FTW3: where is the quiet bios? 2019/06/22 06:33:26 (permalink)
    Hello Robert,
    Indeed my card was the FTW3 ultra version.
    Its cooling is very efficient, probably one of the best, and I think it's better than the XC ultra with only 2 fans.
    But EVGA made the choice to set both bios to high fan speed profile which are too noisy to my taste and really not necessary to keep the card cool.
    By default, the normal bios is trying to keep the temperature at 65°c with fans at about 1800rpm.
    You can create your own profile in PX1 software to decrease fan speed to about 1400rpm which is almost silent and more than enough to keep the temperature around 70°c.
    But PX1 must run in background and the last time I've used it it was still beta version with bugs.
    To conclude if the price difference is only 50 then I recommend you to go with the FTW3 instead of the XC ultra.

Robert_Stevens
    • Total Posts : 11
    Re: 2080ti FTW3: where is the quiet bios? 2019/06/22 08:12:52 (permalink)
    Thanks very much for replying, Sphericube, it's great to be able to talk to someone who owns (or owned?) the card but who also values a quiet machine.

I have purchased both cards as thought the deals too good to last (and I was right as both are now back up to full price), but I will most certainly not be keeping both, so have to make a decision pretty sharpish!

Given the FTW3 Ultra is the flagship I was pretty confident I'd go with that, even though I'm not into overclocking, as I felt sure that the giant heat sink would give me super cool/quiet operation, but was somewhat disturbed by TPU's review where they said it was loud (38 dBA standard BIOS and 40 dBA OC BIOS), particularly when compared with the XC Ultra (35 dBA). I have also seen glowing reviews where they claim it's "dead silent" even when overclocked, with the fans never going over 55%... "Super quiet" and so on - clearly though, that's not your opinion which is more inline with the TPU review.

Right now I'm really torn between the two and not sure what the FTW3 actually offers me over the XC Ultra; it's a lot bigger and consumes more power, though delivers no better performance (at stock) and is also considerably louder. I can make it quieter through the solution you suggest, but that's not ideal and would it not, in effect, just turn it into an XC Ultra, i.e. same noise levels, same temps (~70°C), but taking up a lot more room and using more juice?

I suppose it's possible that due to the larger cooler it might remain silent in 'fans off' mode for longer than the XC Ultra (for e.g. if doing moderate 3D work or light gaming), but I've no idea really.

Do you happen to recall the last version of PX1 you used? It appears to have left Beta now and I note "Improved fan control and support" was listed in the last Beta version. 

Really appreciate any insight you can give, thanks!
    post edited by Robert_Stevens - 2019/06/22 13:22:37
    kevinc313
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5004
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: 2080ti FTW3: where is the quiet bios? 2019/06/23 12:57:43 (permalink)
    If you want less heat and thus less lower cooling requirements, all you need to do is cut the power limit in X1 / Afterburner..  70% or 80% will be a major difference and you won't take too much of a performance hit, especially if it can be combined with a stable overclock.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile