Alleged Metro Exodus Developer Threatens to Boycott PC Platform for Sequels

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102313
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2019/02/03 09:10:49 (permalink)
https://www.techpowerup.com/252159/alleged-metro-exodus-developer-threatens-to-boycott-pc-platform-for-sequels-over-steam-review-bombing

The whole Metro Exodus saga has been getting uglier as we get closer to launch date. We had reported earlier this very week how Metro Exodus had jumped over to the Epic Games Store for a timed exclusive through February 2020, with Valve and THQ Nordic putting out statements on this move. The move was clearly an unpopular one, and arguably for valid reasons too, but this then led to the mob turning against Metro 2033 and Metro: Last Light by leaving an extreme number of negative reviews on the respective Steam store pages.

A user by the handle scynet on the Russian Gameinator forums claimed to be one of the developers on the Metro game franchise, and expressed disappointment, and even anger at the review bombing ongoing. Perhaps emotions took over, when he then effectively threatened that the Metro series would not come to the PC platform again, and be a console exclusive, should this behavior continue and also if PC gamers in turn decide to not buy Metro Exodus as a result of the move from Steam to the Epic Games Store. We will note here that (a) the identity of said person has not been confirmed to be an actual developer for the game, and (b) such decisions are usually in the publisher hands. Regardless, both parties are not showing their best here, and hopefully cooler heads will prevail soon.

Things certainly are heating up.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

9 Replies Related Threads

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10103
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Alleged Metro Exodus Developer Threatens to Boycott PC Platform for Sequels 2019/02/03 12:46:35 (permalink)
    The bad thing is even if the person isn't a developer a boycott on PC sales could hurt the numbers enough to kill the chance of a PC port. With it being one of the most looked forward to ray tracing games it will really be disappointing if the developer and publisher quickly move away from support because of lack of sales.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: Alleged Metro Exodus Developer Threatens to Boycott PC Platform for Sequels 2019/02/03 19:49:41 (permalink)
    Par for the course lately with game devs. They don't make games for customers anymore and when they don't like the feedback they get, they attack the hand that feeds them instead of correcting their course to a more profitable answer. Compound that with divisive virtue signalling coming out of some dev houses and you've gotta wonder why these businesses have anyone invest into them. Rule #1 in business is that you are to make a product that addresses a need of the largest cross section of customers you can afford to accommodate at a reasonable price to best attract userbase. In modern game development, employees and management keep on putting ridiculous decisions in the way of that. Also, the real story isn't that they said that, is that the company probably hasn't done anything punitive to the developer that is speaking in their name through his employment credentials. It tells me that their HR department is a joke.
    post edited by Brad_Hawthorne - 2019/02/03 20:07:03
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Alleged Metro Exodus Developer Threatens to Boycott PC Platform for Sequels 2019/02/03 20:18:22 (permalink)
    If folks haven’t seen, the Devs didn’t make the choice to move to EPIC... the decision was made by Koch Media/Deep silver as the publisher.

The comments made by a single person from the Dev team was not official word, but it looks like the Developers at 4A admit it was a developer that said it, although that persons post means little.

Www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sqq1h9

I personally would not boycott a company for attempting to make more profit so that they could HOPEFULLY focus on better developments in the future. 12% getting removed from the cut versus 25-30% is a big difference. If you think you would rather give up 25-30% of your paycheck toward “taxes” (for a lack of better words here.. steams 25-30% cut versus epics 12%) versus 12%, you should really consider how silly that sounds.
    post edited by the_Scarlet_one - 2019/02/03 20:20:34
    joeymir
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 732
    Re: Alleged Metro Exodus Developer Threatens to Boycott PC Platform for Sequels 2019/02/05 10:23:07 (permalink)
    With Mr. Scarlet on this one, you can't bash a company for trying to maximize profits and stay on your own platform, especially in today's economically muffed up world. Hec I miss the good old days of disc installation and manually applying patches! once all that was done it was MY GAME! and I didn't have to have 5+ different gaming platforms just to play a bloody freaking game, and then have to wait as Steam, Origin , Uplay, GOG, Epic, ect, ect, has a program update, then have to wait as PUBG patches for the 5th time in a day Seriously though, I've been saying it for a while, PC gamers on general basis have gotten extremely entitled.

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master | Ryzen 9 5900X | 32GB Crucial Ballisitx DDR4 3600MHz | MSI Radeon 6900 XT | Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | 2x Crucial MX500 1TB Raid-0 | 2x WD Velociraptors 500GB Raid-0 | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850W | Lian-Li PC-O11

transdogmifier
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6116
    • Ribbons : 17
    Re: Alleged Metro Exodus Developer Threatens to Boycott PC Platform for Sequels 2019/02/06 09:22:05 (permalink)
    the_Scarlet_one
    If folks haven’t seen, the Devs didn’t make the choice to move to EPIC... the decision was made by Koch Media/Deep silver as the publisher.

The comments made by a single person from the Dev team was not official word, but it looks like the Developers at 4A admit it was a developer that said it, although that persons post means little.

Www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sqq1h9

I personally would not boycott a company for attempting to make more profit so that they could HOPEFULLY focus on better developments in the future. 12% getting removed from the cut versus 25-30% is a big difference. If you think you would rather give up 25-30% of your paycheck toward “taxes” (for a lack of better words here.. steams 25-30% cut versus epics 12%) versus 12%, you should really consider how silly that sounds.

Personally, I don't care if the publisher made the move. The people that buy the game should be listened to. Not attacked.
    And trust me, the Devs have a choice of publishers, especially on the Triple A games like Metro.

What gets me more tho, is stuff like Ubisoft demanding that not only do I have Steam on my machine to buy the game,
    but after buying the game, I then have to have uplay installed and have an account on that too.

I draw the line there. I got a refund on my ubisoft games..won't buy them again.

AMD Ryzen 7900x3d
    Deepcool LT720
    Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X670 (Might change..don't like this board)
    eVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming (Hybrid kit on it)
    Asus ROG Swift PG43UQ 4k Monitor
    eVGA 1600W Supernova T2 PSU
    32GB Kingston 6000 DDR5 (2x16GB) Fury
    Corsair MP600 Pro 2TB (Boot)
    Corsair MP600 2TB (Games/Data)
    Phanteks P500A Case

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10103
    Re: Alleged Metro Exodus Developer Threatens to Boycott PC Platform for Sequels 2019/02/06 11:27:30 (permalink)
    Really the publisher decides everything. Developers only get money from the publisher and the publisher decides if a game is worth continuing. We already saw Mass Effect effectively be cancelled as well as the Dues Ex series after failed game sales while they where popular.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

joeymir
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 732
    Re: Alleged Metro Exodus Developer Threatens to Boycott PC Platform for Sequels 2019/02/06 15:14:35 (permalink)
    you double poster you <3

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master | Ryzen 9 5900X | 32GB Crucial Ballisitx DDR4 3600MHz | MSI Radeon 6900 XT | Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | 2x Crucial MX500 1TB Raid-0 | 2x WD Velociraptors 500GB Raid-0 | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850W | Lian-Li PC-O11

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Alleged Metro Exodus Developer Threatens to Boycott PC Platform for Sequels 2019/02/06 15:15:43 (permalink)
    joeymir
    you double poster you <3

Fixed. 
    atfrico
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 12753
    • Ribbons : 25
    Re: Alleged Metro Exodus Developer Threatens to Boycott PC Platform for Sequels 2019/02/06 18:43:30 (permalink)
    Bad publicity is good publicity for a game that is not even launched yet = touche.

As the months pass by, i started to think that people are becoming more and more sensitive about criticism. Just bring them to me to have a chat with them.

Those who abuse power, are nothing but scumbags! The challenge of power is how to use it and not abuse it. The abuse of power that seems to create the most unhappiness is when a person uses personal power to get ahead without regards to the welfare of others, people are obsessed with it. You can take a nice person and turn them into a slob, into an insane being, craving power, destroying anything that stands in their way.

Affiliate Code: 3T15O1S07G
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile