EVGA

With Nvidia locking voltage is there still an advantage with the FTW cards?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: With Nvidia locking voltage is there still an advantage with the FTW cards? 2018/09/21 16:58:18 (permalink)
What is this chart even for?

It says on the far left that it is for 1080ti cards and gives numbers. When it gets to 2080ti on the right, it gives no information on what it is even referencing.

2080ti W3 on seems to reference maybe Witcher 3 FPS... but it doesn’t give any information on how the card is performing wattage wise.

After looking through the power consumption section, the card with two 8pins and one six pin consumes between 27 and 65 more watts for 1-8 FPS more... that’s a LOT of extra power for a little gain.

Then the cost to get there... how much does the gaming trio cost this gen? Only $1249 if folks are going to spend the money, it sounds like this would be a good card to dump money into... the pcb is hideous though...

Holy crap, it took forever to find that chart... in the comments section....

All data taken from TPU current reviews:

Power (Avg) - Average Power in Gaming
Power (Peak) - Peak Power in Gaming
Temp (Load) - Temperature at Load
Temp (OC) - Temperature at Load w/ OC
Noise (Load) - Fan Noise at Load
OC (fps) - What fps was achieved under manual OC
% Over FE - What % was that over reference Card stock settings
2080 W3 - Witcher 3 Score at 1440p w/ 2080
1080 W3 - Witcher 3 Score at 1440p w/ previous generation 1080
% Increase

Here's my take using data in the review ....

1. Note, I didn't bother listing max core clock, boost clock or memory clocks ... why ? ... cause it has no impact on fps... the highest clock does NOT correspond to fastest (fps)

2. Asus, nice job on the temps; lower than everybody else w/o more noise. Not a big concern tho was everybody well under throttling point

3. MSI again takes "top dog" status for best OC'd performance.

4. It would appear, again, that how well you do in OC fps, related to how much power the card takes in.

5. The cards are delivering 35 - 47% more performance than they did last generation.

6. There's only 7% difference between the FE and the top dog... and only 3% difference between the 'top dog" and the nearest competitor.

7. The advantage of the best manually OC'd card over the "stock", non overclocked FE card is 16% .... about the same as we saw with the 1080 series, but significantly lower than the 23% we saw with the 980 series.
post edited by the_Scarlet_one - 2018/09/21 17:29:12
aj_hix36
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 105
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: With Nvidia locking voltage is there still an advantage with the FTW cards? 2018/09/21 18:44:08 (permalink)
The chart is just labeled wrong, that is obviously about the 2080TI's. And I linked the exact place I got it from, reading comprehension ftw.
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: With Nvidia locking voltage is there still an advantage with the FTW cards? 2018/09/21 19:03:04 (permalink)
aj_hix36
The chart is just labeled wrong, that is obviously about the 2080TI's. And I linked the exact place I got it from, reading comprehension ftw.

On mobile, your link in unclickable, so I didn’t realize it was at the end of the review. Maybe consider making your links clickable, to make them easy to follow. And consider sharing more than the most basic information that is completely mislabeled and useless..

Common courtesy ftw? Oh just rude responses, whichever you want.

Addition to my post:
Let’s also look at the fact the every single part of the chart is wrong... most of the bullet points are wrong... pretty much everything about this comment in the comment section so wrong... so, it doesn’t seem to match the review or play a part in the review.

The actual review is far better and makes far more sense. That chart in the comment is atrocious.
post edited by the_Scarlet_one - 2018/09/21 19:10:03
GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10323
  • Ribbons : 48
Re: With Nvidia locking voltage is there still an advantage with the FTW cards? 2018/09/22 04:15:01 (permalink)
the_Scarlet_one
aj_hix36

On mobile, your link in unclickable, so I didn’t realize it was at the end of the review. Maybe consider making your links clickable, to make them easy to follow. And consider sharing more than the most basic information that is completely mislabeled and useless..

Common courtesy ftw? Oh just rude responses, whichever you want.

Addition to my post:
Let’s also look at the fact the every single part of the chart is wrong... most of the bullet points are wrong... pretty much everything about this comment in the comment section so wrong... so, it doesn’t seem to match the review or play a part in the review.

The actual review is far better and makes far more sense. That chart in the comment is atrocious.

Sounds like clickbait to me even if some of those numbers hold.  It's the new thing for traffic.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: With Nvidia locking voltage is there still an advantage with the FTW cards? 2018/09/22 04:52:16 (permalink)
GTXJackBauer
Sounds like clickbait to me even if some of those numbers hold.  It's the new thing for traffic.

The overall review was wonderful and thorough. Not sure why mr, reading comprehension above chose to grab joe schmoes terrible comment as his chosen chart when the review is slam full of useful information compared to this one useless/incorrect chart.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile