Z370 MICRO - installation of Wi-Fi adapter in Socket 1 Key-E M.2 slot

Author
goretsky
  • Total Posts : 11
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/07/28 00:50:00 (permalink)
Hello,

I just purchased an EVGA Z370 MICRO ATX motherboard, which comes with an Wi-Fi adapter card (M.2 2230 form-factor with A- and E-keying).  This card is installed vertically into an M.2 2230 slot on the motherboard about mid-way through where the I/O ports are clustered for the ATX shield.  Curiously enough, the card that shipped with my EVGA motherboard has "FRU P/N 01AX704" on its label, indicating it has PCI vendor information loaded for Lenovo on it.

Unfortunately, and I am feeling very embarrassed about this, I cannot seem to determine how the card is secured.  The motherboard came with both the card and the hardware to mount it (EVGA Wi-Fi Bracket P/N: M022-21-000104, consisting of a bracket, two screws, a nut, and what appears to be an o-ring with adhesive on one side), but it is not clear to me from reading the manual (, P/N: E006-00-0000125) where the "o-ring sticker" is used relative to the bracket.  It is my intention to replace the Intel 8265NGW card with an Intel 9260NGW card, but for now I will use the card supplied by the manufacturer with the motherboard.

If someone could point me in the direction to the section of the manual, a knowledgebase article, or video giving an overview of how a Wi-Fi card is installed I would appreciate it.

Thank you.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Aryeh Goretsky • EVGA Z370 µATX • EVGA GTX 1070Ti

3 Replies Related Threads

nofzac
    • Total Posts : 4
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Z370 MICRO - installation of Wi-Fi adapter in Socket 1 Key-E M.2 slot 2018/08/01 09:00:53 (permalink)
    i had the same issue - and i dont know why our manual didnt come with this picture, but the x99s did and it looks the same.  Just a warning, getting those leeds to attach to the nubs on this thing are a PAIN - but you'll get thru it:

goretsky
    Re: Z370 MICRO - installation of Wi-Fi adapter in Socket 1 Key-E M.2 slot 2018/08/01 22:44:53 (permalink)
    Hello,

Thank you very much for the reply!  I had gone ahead and assembled the Wi-Fi card, but was not sure about where the washer/spacer went.  In his post, JonSlow12125757 showed how to install it, too.  It seems I installed the retaining screw for the Wi-Fi bracket upside-down, with the screw being on the top side of the board, and the nut being on the bottom. 

The U.FL antennas are quite common in laptops, so I've got used to positioning and locking them down.

When I replace the 8265 with the 9260 I will correct the orientation of the retaining screw, and add the washer as well.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

post edited by goretsky - 2018/08/01 22:50:41

goretsky
    Re: Z370 MICRO - installation of Wi-Fi adapter in Socket 1 Key-E M.2 slot 2018/08/11 20:43:56 (permalink)
    Hello,

As a follow up, I replaced the 8265 with the 9260 card without issue.

One note I'll make is that the placement of the antenna cutouts on the left/top of the ATX shield made installation of the antennas and their cabling more difficult than it should have been, because limited clearance around the edges in the corner made it difficult to screw down the retaining nut and the antennas. 

Previously I have worked with several motherboards from another manufacturer where the antennas are located next to the audio jack cluster.  This seems like a better location if you're going to ship without the Wi-Fi card and cabling being pre-installed.  Just some food for thought…

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile