EVGA

EVGA Precision XOC doesn't control my fans unless the program is launched

Author
FreedomParts
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/07/03 12:51:33 (permalink)
So I realize the title is puzzling, but I'd like the fans on my GPU's to use the fan curve setting I have even if Precision XOC is not launched. As it stands, the fans only spin up if the program is running. If I don't have XOC running, the fans don't spin up at all when the GPU heats up. I have 2 computers, with 2 gpus in each, and the behavior is consistent.

I don't care to monitor the XOC control screen at all times, but I do want my GPU's to be cooled down when usage goes up. This requires XOC to be installed and running. I attempted to set it to launch with OS, but that is causing issues at boot up, so I have to launch it manually every time I feel like playing a game. Is there no way to have the GPU fans work on a fan curve without XOC being launched?

I would expect it to be a settings and monitoring app, but it's required to be running to also have the fans work properly. Not ideal. My current installed version is 6.2.7

I have a windows 10 pc with dual 1080ti ftw3, and another with 1070ti ftw and 1070 icx

14 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: EVGA Precision XOC doesn't control my fans unless the program is launched 2018/07/03 14:32:54 (permalink)
    FreedomParts
    Is there no way to have the GPU fans work on a fan curve without XOC being launched?

Nope. The fans should definitely be on by time the card is around 80c.
    bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10337
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re: EVGA Precision XOC doesn't control my fans unless the program is launched 2018/07/03 14:39:00 (permalink)
    Welcome to the forums...

Both PXOC & MSI AB work the same in that regard.  They must be running in order to have the custom fan curves working.  You can have PXOC minimized and the fan curve will still work.  It's always been that way as far as I can recall.

If you have any dual vBIOS cards, usually one of the vBIOS's runs a 0db setting where the fans only kick in at ~ 60C.  The 2nd vBIOS will keep the fans running even at idle, just at a low rpm.

bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: EVGA Precision XOC doesn't control my fans unless the program is launched 2018/07/03 14:39:21 (permalink)
    PXOC needs to be running for user defined or predefined fan curves to work..However, you can set manual fan speed/s on PXOC and then close PXOC and the manual fan speed/s will remain until next boot.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: EVGA Precision XOC doesn't control my fans unless the program is launched 2018/07/03 14:41:22 (permalink)
    If you are going to close precision, reset to default prior to closing so the fans can work. As bob stated above, user defined parameters need the software to be running.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: EVGA Precision XOC doesn't control my fans unless the program is launched 2018/07/03 14:49:58 (permalink)
    the_Scarlet_one
    If you are going to close precision, reset to default prior to closing so the fans can work. As bob stated above, user defined parameters need the software to be running.

No need to reset to defaults prior to closing as the card will use the default vbios fan curve with precision xoc closed.
    EVGA_Thomas123
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 150
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: EVGA Precision XOC doesn't control my fans unless the program is launched 2018/07/03 14:55:28 (permalink)
    Hello FreedomParts, 

Unfortunately, PXOC would need to be running for user defined parameters as previously mentioned. I understand that you may not care about the monitoring app, what you can do is select the settings wheel, under 'General' there should be an option for 'Start Minimized'. That should keep the PXOC running in the background or in your task bar instead of having popups. If you wish to have these curve start with Windows, unfortunately, would have to select the option 'Start with OS' under the same tab. If you have any further questions or concerns, feel free to contact us back here or through our Customer Support Line 1 (888) 881-3842.

Regards,
    Thomas N.
    donalgodon
    • Total Posts : 22
    Re: EVGA Precision XOC doesn't control my fans unless the program is launched 2018/07/03 19:01:42 (permalink)
    EVGATech_ThomasN
    Hello FreedomParts, 

Unfortunately, PXOC would need to be running for user defined parameters as previously mentioned. I understand that you may not care about the monitoring app, what you can do is select the settings wheel, under 'General' there should be an option for 'Start Minimized'. That should keep the PXOC running in the background or in your task bar instead of having popups. If you wish to have these curve start with Windows, unfortunately, would have to select the option 'Start with OS' under the same tab. If you have any further questions or concerns, feel free to contact us back here or through our Customer Support Line 1 (888) 881-3842.

Regards,
    Thomas N.

Unfortunately, on at least a dozen occasions, XOC has left my fans off while a custom profile was set and "Start with OS" and "Start Minimized" were checked. I only noticed it after my GPU throttled and saw that my temps were around 90C! Both fans were just off. I then was able to manually open XOC again, but it's exceptionally frustrating that this has happened so often. I would love to trust XOC, but I just can't. I've resorted to other software solutions, which while not ideal, are better than have fans stuck at 0RPM.
    bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: EVGA Precision XOC doesn't control my fans unless the program is launched 2018/07/04 00:48:22 (permalink)
    Assigning a 2D and/or 3D profile in the Profile tab of the PXOC settings can cause PXOC to crash, resulting in loss of predefined/user defined fan curves and other PXOC functions..This is a known issue.

If you have a 2D and/or 3D profile assigned, set them to Not assigned and click OK..Then close and open PXOC again and check that the settings remain.

That's all I can say about it other than maybe using Revo Uninstaller in the Advanced Mode to uninstall PXOC and the leftover files/folders/registry items and try an older version, perhaps 6.2.3 might work better.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

donalgodon
    Re: EVGA Precision XOC doesn't control my fans unless the program is launched 2018/07/04 07:57:05 (permalink)
    bob16314
    Assigning a 2D and/or 3D profile in the Profile tab of the PXOC settings can cause PXOC to crash, resulting in loss of predefined/user defined fan curves and other PXOC functions..This is a known issue.

If you have a 2D and/or 3D profile assigned, set them to Not assigned and click OK..Then close and open PXOC again and check that the settings remain.

That's all I can say about it other than maybe using Revo Uninstaller in the Advanced Mode to uninstall PXOC and the leftover files/folders/registry items and try an older version, perhaps 6.2.3 might work better.

Thanks for the reply.

Sadly, I have no profiles assigned. I will try to revert to 6.2.3.
    FreedomParts
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re: EVGA Precision XOC doesn't control my fans unless the program is launched 2018/07/04 10:58:47 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the responses.
    Is PXOC a required component then? If it isn't installed, is there another way to set the card's cooling mode so that it works automatically?

And if not, no big deal, I just have to deal with the extra step of launching it when I use a 3D app. I also use my gpu's to render, so it's a must that I don't forget to have this on, but would rather prevent an accident by not having to remember to launch XOC.

It would be great if this ran as a service that doesn't require the GUI all the time...
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: EVGA Precision XOC doesn't control my fans unless the program is launched 2018/07/04 11:19:35 (permalink)
    FreedomParts
    Is PXOC a required component then?

No, it isn't required. When the card warms up the fans on the gpu should turn on automatically without precision xoc installed.
    donalgodon
    Re: EVGA Precision XOC doesn't control my fans unless the program is launched 2018/07/04 12:36:18 (permalink)
    Sajin
    FreedomParts

No, it isn't required. When the card warms up the fans on the gpu should turn on automatically without precision xoc installed.

In my case, my 1080Ti SC2 hovers around 70C while gaming. Is  it okay to just leave it that way and let the default hardware profile regulate temps and fan curve, or is that too high for long-term use?

The crappy thing about XOC is that, when it fails, it will lock the fans at 0 RPM and the card will just heat up until it throttles around 90C.

I typically compromise noise/temps at 65 C, but does increasing to 70 C actually matter in the life of the card?
    post edited by donalgodon - 2018/07/04 12:42:52
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: EVGA Precision XOC doesn't control my fans unless the program is launched 2018/07/04 12:37:09 (permalink)
    donalgodon
    Sajin
    FreedomParts

In my case, my 1080Ti SC2 hovers around 70C while gaming. Is  it okay to just leave it that way and let the default hardware profile regulate temps and fan curve, or is that too high for long-term use?

Yep. 70c is perfectly fine.
    Cordorb
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 636
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: EVGA Precision XOC doesn't control my fans unless the program is launched 2018/07/06 21:22:24 (permalink)
    For now in your case -- I would revert back the XoC software to pre-LED sync versions
    clean out the old versions as indicated above.

I have done that on several systems that use EVGA CLC XoC software and no more strange fan not turning problems.

I have never hit 70 c on my air cooled GTX 1080ti which would have used 100% fan of it did get that hot.

If you saw the other software area post XoC  software updates are still going on.

For those that  started with Rivatuner  it has been a LONG road to get where we are today with AB.

--------------
    At least unwinder made the fonts on the keyboard LCD large enough so people can read them without needing a glued on Edmund Scientific  LED Magnifying Glass :-)

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile