EVGA

Long boot delay problem

Author
faust1200
  • Total Posts : 94
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/04/10 04:25:47 (permalink)
Backstory: I had a well-functioning dual boot system. Linux Mint/ Windows 7. My main OS is Mint. Because of a stupid mistake I made while partitioning, I deleted my Windows partition. I used to have Windows on a .5 TB ssd so I decided to reinstall Windows onto a 1TB drive I already had. All 3 drives are Crucial SSDs same model.  I have a .5 TB for Linux, 1TB for Windows , another .5TB spare now, formerly Windows.

The problem is during a reboot from Windows I get the splashscreen and then low-pitched slow beeps and a C6 message on the board. After 7-8 long beeps the board will finally boot and work normally - except this now takes about 20-30 seconds. The weird thing is that it works normally from a cold boot and if if I go into Linux Mint first - on my .5tb ssd. However, after I restart from inside Windows, I will now get the long problematic boot on restart (slow, low pitch beeps). If I go back into Linux , I still get the problem restart seemingly from having been into Windows.

I only have the 2 essential drives connected at this point. I have the dual boot working ok and Windows is working and seems to be updated - I updated most of them over 120-130 updates - all applied ok. I may still have some updates to go but I don't think that's the issue. Chipset drivers are installed. The board doesn't seem happy with Windows on the 1TB drive. If I remove the Windows drive from the board, everything (Linux) boots normally.

Is there an issue running Windows on my 1TB drive? Would switching back to the .5TB help?  Previously, the 1TB was working fine as a storage drive and the .5TB was working with Windows.

TL;DR New install of Windows onto 1TB ssd is causing boot problems (20-30 second boot delay) on a previously working system. Haswell. Thanks for any help.
post edited by faust1200 - 2018/04/10 04:58:24

10 Replies Related Threads

HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: Long boot delay problem 2018/04/10 11:37:18 (permalink)
    faust1200
    Backstory: I had a well-functioning dual boot system. Linux Mint/ Windows 7. My main OS is Mint. Because of a stupid mistake I made while partitioning, I deleted my Windows partition. I used to have Windows on a .5 TB ssd so I decided to reinstall Windows onto a 1TB drive I already had. All 3 drives are Crucial SSDs same model.  I have a .5 TB for Linux, 1TB for Windows , another .5TB spare now, formerly Windows.

The problem is during a reboot from Windows I get the splashscreen and then low-pitched slow beeps and a C6 message on the board. After 7-8 long beeps the board will finally boot and work normally - except this now takes about 20-30 seconds. The weird thing is that it works normally from a cold boot and if if I go into Linux Mint first - on my .5tb ssd. However, after I restart from inside Windows, I will now get the long problematic boot on restart (slow, low pitch beeps). If I go back into Linux , I still get the problem restart seemingly from having been into Windows.

I only have the 2 essential drives connected at this point. I have the dual boot working ok and Windows is working and seems to be updated - I updated most of them over 120-130 updates - all applied ok. I may still have some updates to go but I don't think that's the issue. Chipset drivers are installed. The board doesn't seem happy with Windows on the 1TB drive. If I remove the Windows drive from the board, everything (Linux) boots normally.

Is there an issue running Windows on my 1TB drive? Would switching back to the .5TB help?  Previously, the 1TB was working fine as a storage drive and the .5TB was working with Windows.

TL;DR New install of Windows onto 1TB ssd is causing boot problems (20-30 second boot delay) on a previously working system. Haswell. Thanks for any help.

More than likely it's reading the boot loader on the old OS drive. Reformat the old OS drive. Make sure there is only ONE DRIVE on the system that contains system files. I've always made it a habit to reformat OS drives prior to re-purposing them. I had an issue very similar to yours.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

faust1200
    Re: Long boot delay problem 2018/04/10 12:21:23 (permalink)
    HeavyHemiMore than likely it's reading the boot loader on the old OS drive. Reformat the old OS drive. Make sure there is only ONE DRIVE on the system that contains system files. I've always made it a habit to reformat OS drives prior to re-purposing them. I had an issue very similar to yours.

I formatted the NTFS partition through Gparted (Linux partitioning tool) on the 1TB before I put anything on it. Also, this drive never had any Windows systems files on it as it was a storage drive previously.
    bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10337
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re: Long boot delay problem 2018/04/10 14:17:31 (permalink)
    Let me try and get all what you said in your first post straight...

You had Linux & Windows (Dual Boot) on a single partitioned drive?  Was Linux the first OS installed followed by Windows?
    You deleted the Windows partition accidently leaving you with only Linux on that drive?
    Now you formatted this new drive, the one that didn't have an OS on it, and installed Windows on it?

When you originally set up your dual boot config, there would have been a small partition created for the dual boot scenario or the info would have been stored with the first OS install you did.  Maybe called the MBR (Master boot record) or the boot loader.

So how does Linux OS know where Windows got installed to since the MBR or boot loader info still thinks it's installed on a different partition from the same drive?  The delay you have could be the system looking for Windows where it used to be, but then finding it on your "new" drive.

I don't know enough about this stuff to be able to try and fix a situation like this.  If it can be fixed.  Some of these things are created/handled by the OS when setting up a dual boot system.

I was dual booting for several years and had a similar situation as you have.  The only way I could get things working as smoothly as was originally setup was to start with a freshly formatted drive and reinstall both OS's from scratch.

Just a side note here.  Usually for dual booting, Windows is recommened to be installed first.  Then the other OS.

post edited by bdary - 2018/04/10 14:20:54

faust1200
    Re: Long boot delay problem 2018/04/10 18:33:15 (permalink)
    bdaryYou had Linux & Windows (Dual Boot) on a single partitioned drive? 

No, I had them on separate .5TB drives.

bdarySo how does Linux OS know where Windows got installed to since the MBR or boot loader info still thinks it's installed on a different partition from the same drive?  The delay you have could be the system looking for Windows where it used to be, but then finding it on your "new" drive.

GRUB (the linux bootloader) is on the Linux drive. I simply had to boot into Linux and update-grub. That's how Linux knows where Windows is. And like I said, I am able to boot into the OS's ok. It's only rebooting out of Windows that gives me a problem.

bdaryJust a side note here.  Usually for dual booting, Windows is recommened to be installed first.  Then the other OS.

Like I said, I accidentally deleted my Windows partition. I didn't start like this by design.

post edited by faust1200 - 2018/04/10 18:47:10
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Long boot delay problem 2018/04/11 09:36:40 (permalink)
    faust1200
    HeavyHemiMore than likely it's reading the boot loader on the old OS drive. Reformat the old OS drive. Make sure there is only ONE DRIVE on the system that contains system files. I've always made it a habit to reformat OS drives prior to re-purposing them. I had an issue very similar to yours.

I formatted the NTFS partition through Gparted (Linux partitioning tool) on the 1TB before I put anything on it. Also, this drive never had any Windows systems files on it as it was a storage drive previously.

To clarify, with just the single drive connected to the system, you still have the issue?

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

faust1200
    Re: Long boot delay problem 2018/04/11 18:17:58 (permalink)
    HeavyHemi
    To clarify, with just the single drive connected to the system, you still have the issue?

No. With my single Linux drive connected, there is no issue. If I add the Windows drive, it will cold boot and enter Windows fine. If I restart within Windows, the issue presents itself. From then on, or until I power down, I get the startup delay.

The only thing I can think of is that I kept seeing USB 3.0 device error which is what I have a data card reader using in the system. I believe it's because I didn't install the usb 3.0 drivers yet. I'm not sure if this could even cause my problem but it's the only thing I can think of now. I'll install the 3.0 drivers to see if that stops the error in Windows or affects the reboot when I get the chance.
    post edited by faust1200 - 2018/04/11 18:21:19
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Long boot delay problem 2018/04/11 22:04:31 (permalink)
    faust1200
    HeavyHemi

No. With my single Linux drive connected, there is no issue. If I add the Windows drive, it will cold boot and enter Windows fine. If I restart within Windows, the issue presents itself. From then on, or until I power down, I get the startup delay.

The only thing I can think of is that I kept seeing USB 3.0 device error which is what I have a data card reader using in the system. I believe it's because I didn't install the usb 3.0 drivers yet. I'm not sure if this could even cause my problem but it's the only thing I can think of now. I'll install the 3.0 drivers to see if that stops the error in Windows or affects the reboot when I get the chance.

Does it matter which ports you have the drives connected to? Can you change the boot drive sequence?

bksmith5
    • Total Posts : 69
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Long boot delay problem 2018/04/12 11:51:48 (permalink)
    It may be irrelevant but I'm curious as to which motherboard model you're working with?

ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | AMD Ryzen 9 5950x with EK AIO 360 | 32GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4 @3600MHz | EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 | EVGA SuperNOVA G1+ 750W | Corsair Graphite Series 760T | 256GB Crucial M4 | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro (Boot drive) | 512GB Sandisk Ultra 3D | 1TB SX8200 Pro m.2 NVMe | Razer BlackWidow Chroma v2 (yellow keys) | Razer Basilisk Ultimate mouse
    faust1200
    Re: Long boot delay problem 2018/04/26 14:07:40 (permalink)
    I finally got around to toiling with Windows again and my suspicion was correct. My failure to install the usb 3.0 drivers was causing an error with my data card reader which is attached by USB 3.0. What confused me is the problem state that this caused (slow boots) persisted through warm boots and a different OS.

To answer bksmith's question - it's a Classified.

All seems to be working now. Thanks for everyone's replies.
    post edited by faust1200 - 2018/04/26 14:36:07
    bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10337
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re: Long boot delay problem 2018/04/27 07:07:25 (permalink)
    faust1200
    I finally got around to toiling with Windows again and my suspicion was correct. My failure to install the usb 3.0 drivers was causing an error with my data card reader which is attached by USB 3.0. What confused me is the problem state that this caused (slow boots) persisted through warm boots and a different OS.

faust1200

Glad to hear it...

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile