PC gaming destroys PlayStation 4 and Xbox

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102313
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2018/04/02 07:23:55 (permalink)
https://mybroadband.co.za/news/gaming/254457-pc-gaming-destroys-playstation-4-and-xbox.html

The number of games for PC in 2017 far outranked rival platforms, including the PlayStation, by a substantial margin. Personally it makes sense to me as PC gaming is turning into large revenue makers for gaming manufacturers. The gaming sector continues to grow strongly. In my opinion this growth will continue in 2018.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

28 Replies Related Threads

blackforce
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 883
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: PC gaming destroys PlayStation 4 and Xbox 2018/04/02 10:32:32 (permalink)
    Yeah nothing but crap games coming out for pc, what's so good about  quantity when quality is so bad?
    pc gaming is starting to be a waste of time and money.
    chrisdglong
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7220
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: PC gaming destroys PlayStation 4 and Xbox 2018/04/02 10:45:44 (permalink)
    blackforce
    Yeah nothing but crap games coming out for pc, what's so good about  quantity when quality is so bad?
    pc gaming is starting to be a waste of time and money.

Yeah, they count all that complete garbage that Steam releases on a daily basis. My guess is that if you subtract all that garbage that Steam is releasing, the numbers would be a lot closer.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: PC gaming destroys PlayStation 4 and Xbox 2018/04/02 15:33:27 (permalink)

z999z3mystorys
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4480
    • Ribbons : 23
    Re: PC gaming destroys PlayStation 4 and Xbox 2018/04/02 15:52:47 (permalink)
    I have to wonder however, what the numbers are in terms of sales, 30 games at $1.99 compared to 1 game at $59.99 is about the same in gross sells, (no idea with net sales however)
    ILikeBeans
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3429
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: PC gaming destroys PlayStation 4 and Xbox 2018/04/02 15:58:48 (permalink)
    Yah OK, but you have to wonder when the news is coming straight from the propaganda channel.

W7 Pro 64, MSI X99A Godlike , I7-6850K, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti, G.Skill DDR4 3200MHz 32GB, Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2 and 850 EVO 1TB SATA, WD Velociraptor 1TB, Corsair AX1200W, Acer Predator X34 and Oculus.
    fearpoint
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3184
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: PC gaming destroys PlayStation 4 and Xbox 2018/04/02 22:30:33 (permalink)
    Console games are simply hot garbage these day. PC gaming isn't entirely reliant on them however, which makes PC gaming far more enjoyable if you aren't a mouth breather. Even if you like multiplatform games the tech on PC offers such a significantly better experience the only reason I believe console gaming still exists is because of computer illiterates unable to use a PC without destroying it.

Made the switch in the late 90's and never looked backed. Every single console hype game however I've played since on the PC has been a massive let down except Overwatch, but the turd community eventually ruined that as well.
    Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: PC gaming destroys PlayStation 4 and Xbox 2018/04/03 19:25:54 (permalink)
    Different target audiences. It's just as dumb an argument as people comparing Apple vs Android. They're different ecosystems.
    nemesys06
    • Total Posts : 43
    Re: PC gaming destroys PlayStation 4 and Xbox 2018/04/03 22:08:39 (permalink)
    I play all kinds of games across all platforms.  My Xbox gets sued the most as I have the most friends that play on that.  However some games need to be played on PC.  My only downside with most of the great games on PC is that they are also on console.  I really wish we could get more AAA titles that are PC exclusive, so the developer could put the time and effort to take full advantage of today's most powerful hardware.

Intel Core i7 3770K
    16GB DDR3 1600Mhz
    EVGA 2080ti XC Ultra
    Something seems wrong here...
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10103
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: PC gaming destroys PlayStation 4 and Xbox 2018/04/03 22:29:59 (permalink)
    nemesys06
    I play all kinds of games across all platforms.  My Xbox gets sued the most as I have the most friends that play on that.  However some games need to be played on PC.  My only downside with most of the great games on PC is that they are also on console.  I really wish we could get more AAA titles that are PC exclusive, so the developer could put the time and effort to take full advantage of today's most powerful hardware.

I agree it would be great to see games that don’t work as well on a console like Starcraft or Diablo come back into mainstream. Would also be nice to see a game that pushes the limit like the original Far Cry did.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

nemesys06
    Re: PC gaming destroys PlayStation 4 and Xbox 2018/04/04 00:17:42 (permalink)
    Hoggle
    nemesys06

I agree it would be great to see games that don’t work as well on a console like Starcraft or Diablo come back into mainstream. Would also be nice to see a game that pushes the limit like the original Far Cry did.

When I think about a game that really pushed the limits graphically, the one game that always come to mind is Crysis.  I loved that the developers created a game with no intention of it ever being on a console.  In fact, they created a game that barely even played on current high end hardware.  Crysis was meant to push the best systems on the market, not really paying attention to those with older systems or low/mid range builds.  They built it for the highest end builds.  I would love to see a game like that again.  It did help that Crysis was a great game too, but I want to see a developer create a game with only the high end builds in mind.  Even to this day, when building a system, me and my friends always ask "but can it play Crysis?"  We need another game like that.

Intel Core i7 3770K
    16GB DDR3 1600Mhz
    EVGA 2080ti XC Ultra
    joeymir
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 732
    Re: PC gaming destroys PlayStation 4 and Xbox 2018/04/05 10:32:47 (permalink)
    nemesys06
    Hoggle
    nemesys06

When I think about a game that really pushed the limits graphically, the one game that always come to mind is Crysis.  I loved that the developers created a game with no intention of it ever being on a console.  In fact, they created a game that barely even played on current high end hardware.  Crysis was meant to push the best systems on the market, not really paying attention to those with older systems or low/mid range builds.  They built it for the highest end builds.  I would love to see a game like that again.  It did help that Crysis was a great game too, but I want to see a developer create a game with only the high end builds in mind.  Even to this day, when building a system, me and my friends always ask "but can it play Crysis?"  We need another game like that.

Many will disagree with you on topic of Crysis being a great game, but those people also probably prefer linear shooters with no open world and are simply stuck in there ways. Crysis was revolutionary in so many ways for PC Gaming, and especially the shooter genre. I completely agree as-well we need more games like this again. But I feel it will never happen when people keep supporting things like Early Access games, Pre-Ordering, and Microtransactions. Companies know this generation of youth all demand immediate satisfaction and will always pay the price. On topic of OP; I gotta agree with the others, I don't think those charts tell the whole story(do they ever?). Graphs are for the people who spend too much time analyzing data, and not enough time spent hands on with the matter at hand.

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master | Ryzen 9 5900X | 32GB Crucial Ballisitx DDR4 3600MHz | MSI Radeon 6900 XT | Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | 2x Crucial MX500 1TB Raid-0 | 2x WD Velociraptors 500GB Raid-0 | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850W | Lian-Li PC-O11

fearpoint
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: PC gaming destroys PlayStation 4 and Xbox 2018/04/05 21:17:55 (permalink)

Crysis also had actual AI and allowed players to think. It was so disappointing that Call of Duty game design of scripted participate to win won over actual freedom for players in Crysis. I feel like 2007 was where it all went downhill for the gaming industry when the modern Call of Duty redefined the FPS genre and gaming in general. Now that same type of design is basically the core of nearly ever single big budget game released which is exactly why most games feel the same.

Maybe I'm getting too old for this. I'd like to think I haven't changed as much as game design just took a nose dive to appeal to mouth breathers. 

nemesys06
    Re: PC gaming destroys PlayStation 4 and Xbox 2018/04/05 21:53:09 (permalink)
    fearpoint

Crysis also had actual AI and allowed players to think. It was so disappointing that Call of Duty game design of scripted participate to win won over actual freedom for players in Crysis. I feel like 2007 was where it all went downhill for the gaming industry when the modern Call of Duty redefined the FPS genre and gaming in general. Now that same type of design is basically the core of nearly ever single big budget game released which is exactly why most games feel the same.

Maybe I'm getting too old for this. I'd like to think I haven't changed as much as game design just took a nose dive to appeal to mouth breathers. 

I have no problem with games that are more scripted and linear like the Call of Duty campaigns.  I actually enjoy those campaigns.  I just don't care too much for the online part.  If done right, scripted/linear games can add to the story.  There is not as much to do, but there are moments where the scripting really adds to the experience.  But again that is if it is done right.  

Intel Core i7 3770K
    16GB DDR3 1600Mhz
    EVGA 2080ti XC Ultra
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10103
    Re: PC gaming destroys PlayStation 4 and Xbox 2018/04/05 22:34:58 (permalink)
    I think the other thing we really need would be games that use a keyboard for more then a few buttons. I remember Mech Warrior 2 and Tie Fighter being games you couldn’t port to a console sine they seemed to use every keyboard key.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

fearpoint
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: PC gaming destroys PlayStation 4 and Xbox 2018/04/06 19:23:51 (permalink)
    nemesys06
    fearpoint

I have no problem with games that are more scripted and linear like the Call of Duty campaigns.  I actually enjoy those campaigns.  I just don't care too much for the online part.  If done right, scripted/linear games can add to the story.  There is not as much to do, but there are moments where the scripting really adds to the experience.  But again that is if it is done right.  

Those scripted "games" aren't even games though. That's the problem. The whole cinematic experience has largely killed most big franchises off and thus game developers don't even create enemy AI any longer. Games are supposed to be interactive except now days interactive really means Simon says press x to proceed and achievement unlocked for turning the game on. It's frankly insulting as a consumer these days because game publishers think you're a moron and can't do anything yourself. Here is some x ray vision because you're such a scrub(every supposed competitive multiplayer game release in the last decade), follow this gigantic line on the road(far cry 5), and don't worry you've got regenerative health(just about every game now). You're a gamer now! Achievement unlocked: Gave us all your money, sucker.
    nemesys06
    Re: PC gaming destroys PlayStation 4 and Xbox 2018/04/07 21:52:48 (permalink)
    fearpoint
    nemesys06
    fearpoint

Those scripted "games" aren't even games though. That's the problem. The whole cinematic experience has largely killed most big franchises off and thus game developers don't even create enemy AI any longer. Games are supposed to be interactive except now days interactive really means Simon says press x to proceed and achievement unlocked for turning the game on. It's frankly insulting as a consumer these days because game publishers think you're a moron and can't do anything yourself. Here is some x ray vision because you're such a scrub(every supposed competitive multiplayer game release in the last decade), follow this gigantic line on the road(far cry 5), and don't worry you've got regenerative health(just about every game now). You're a gamer now! Achievement unlocked: Gave us all your money, sucker.

I agree with too many games giving regenerating health.  As for the scripted games not being games, I have to disagree to an extent.  Scripted games have been around for ages.  It can be a good thing if done right with the right style of game.  Call of Duty, the campaign I feel is a good example.  But I do not think the entire game should be scripted.  Just certain sequences that are activated are certain points.  But not all games should have them.  It all depends on the style of game.  

Intel Core i7 3770K
    16GB DDR3 1600Mhz
    EVGA 2080ti XC Ultra
    TheLastofElves
    • Total Posts : 53
    Re: PC gaming destroys PlayStation 4 and Xbox 2018/04/11 03:26:53 (permalink)
    I wouldn't say destroy, but PC is definitely better. Just built my PC and have no plans of going back to console,  other than for PS exclusives, because cant deny that The Last of Us, God of War are great games, and Days Gone looks like it will be solid as well. Plus 1st party developers get more use out of Sony's software, so they can make better games out of any developers on console. 

CPU: I7-8700K @ 5GHZ
    GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3
    MB: Aorus Z370 Gaming 7
    Ram: 16 GB Corsair Dominator 3200
    HD: 1 TB M.2. NVME Samsung 960 PRO
    PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 850
    Cooling: Custom EK Loop
    Fans: 6 Corsair LL120 Fans
    Case: Corsair Crystal 570x
    rmorse27
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1671
    • Ribbons : 19
    Re: PC gaming destroys PlayStation 4 and Xbox 2018/04/11 09:11:12 (permalink)
    I hate being at the mercy of using steam for gaming, I play the old cod 5 game all the time because we can still make maps and use dedicated servers. The Industry killed real gaming when they stopped offering dedicated servers and the ability to create free maps,they forget the the online gamer was where it all started ,but in the end we got screwed over.

Intel i9 14900kf-Asus Z790 Rog Strix-E Wifi-Corsair 64GB @6400 DDR5-EVGA 3080TI FTW HC-EVGA G6 1000 PWS-Samsung Pro 2TB 4.0-Thermaletake Case-Corsair Pump/Res Combo

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=66896

aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 17692
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re: PC gaming destroys PlayStation 4 and Xbox 2018/04/11 12:16:48 (permalink)

Just some of my favorites......  

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    joeymir
    SSC Member
    Re: PC gaming destroys PlayStation 4 and Xbox 2018/04/12 10:35:24 (permalink)
    aka_STEVE_b

Just some of my favorites......  

LMAO!!

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master | Ryzen 9 5900X | 32GB Crucial Ballisitx DDR4 3600MHz | MSI Radeon 6900 XT | Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | 2x Crucial MX500 1TB Raid-0 | 2x WD Velociraptors 500GB Raid-0 | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850W | Lian-Li PC-O11

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: PC gaming destroys PlayStation 4 and Xbox 2018/04/12 16:39:19 (permalink)

harmattan
    • Total Posts : 82
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: PC gaming destroys PlayStation 4 and Xbox 2018/04/13 00:28:46 (permalink)
    No argument that PC Gaming is where it's at.  Better resolution/IQ, better input controls, wider (and more economical) game selection, control over upgrades.  Every console I've purchased for the past 20 years has been used for 3-4 games, then gathers dust.  The only game I've played on console in the past 3 years were Horizon and Uncharted 4, and I might give GOW4 a try at some point.

That said, I think these stats count the innumerable shovel-ware titles that come out on Steam nowadays -- there's soooo much garbage on Steam.  I'm not convinced there are more games worth playing on PC than consoles, PC is just the better experience.
    nemesys06
    Re: PC gaming destroys PlayStation 4 and Xbox 2018/04/13 23:15:47 (permalink)
    There are always exclusive for all systems.  With the PS4 getting GoW this month, I will be spending some time on that game.  However, PC is by far the best way to game when talking graphics, controls, smoothness, and overall performance.  But they can also get expensive, especially with the shortage in the GPU market currently.  

With that said, I do feel that the consoles are severely hindering the PC gaming.  Most major games we see on PC are also developed for consoles.  Because of this I feel we don't get to see games really take advantage of the PC hardware.  If there were more AAA titles made from the ground up strictly for PC, that would be nice.  I mean, look at the PS4.  Compare the multi-console games vs the exclusives.  

Intel Core i7 3770K
    16GB DDR3 1600Mhz
    EVGA 2080ti XC Ultra
    stalinx20
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4977
    Re: PC gaming destroys PlayStation 4 and Xbox 2018/04/14 07:36:26 (permalink)
    everybody knows pc gaming destroys console gaming; you're preaching to the choir. 

EVGA X79 Dark
    2080 Black edition
    EVGA 1000 gold PSU (Gold)
    4820K CPU
    16x G-skill
    nemesys06
    Re: PC gaming destroys PlayStation 4 and Xbox 2018/04/15 23:07:11 (permalink)
    stalinx20
    everybody knows pc gaming destroys console gaming; you're preaching to the choir. 

Being one to play on all platforms, PC does destroy consoles in performance and graphics quality.  However, PC gaming IMO is also being held back by console gaming as most of the PC games are also developed for consoles, thus the developers are not able to really design the games for PC from the ground up.  I would really like to see a game that is developed with the sole purpose (graphically) to push the most extreme PC builds to their limits, of course with good gameplay and story of course.  But an exclusive that is designed to take full advantage of today's best PC hardware.

Intel Core i7 3770K
    16GB DDR3 1600Mhz
    EVGA 2080ti XC Ultra
    joeymir
    SSC Member
    Re: PC gaming destroys PlayStation 4 and Xbox 2018/04/16 11:06:10 (permalink)
    nemesys06
    stalinx20

Being one to play on all platforms, PC does destroy consoles in performance and graphics quality.  However, PC gaming IMO is also being held back by console gaming as most of the PC games are also developed for consoles, thus the developers are not able to really design the games for PC from the ground up.  I would really like to see a game that is developed with the sole purpose (graphically) to push the most extreme PC builds to their limits, of course with good gameplay and story of course.  But an exclusive that is designed to take full advantage of today's best PC hardware.

Yes, it's been missing for a long time for us PC guys who get the sloppy seconds from the console boys. I am not sure if Piracy is still as big as it was say 10 years ago, but for a while, it seemed game devs had to start making multi-platform games in order to be successful, as the PCMASTERACE was to damn cheap to buy their games legally(I was guilty back in the day). But I feel with Steam, Orgin, Uplay, GOG, and how the gaming industry has really focused on multiplayer games in recent years, that perhaps piracy is slowing down some. PC gamers are really due for some exclusives that are made to really push the limits of modern hardware, but we can only hope.

blackforce
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 883
    Re: PC gaming destroys PlayStation 4 and Xbox 2018/04/16 11:41:10 (permalink)
    i'm so tired of hearing about what the 1st farcry did which is dumb, 
    faycry did't push nothing you just had some weak ars hardware.
    hardware is just better than it's ever been. 
    XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: PC gaming destroys PlayStation 4 and Xbox 2018/04/24 21:14:40 (permalink)

PC gaming is where it's at. Sure Xbox and PS are good, but still isn't as good as PC gaming.

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile