Author
polarbeardj
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 436
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2017/09/13 08:51:19 (permalink)
So based on this thread -

I thought I would start a thread for Ideas on how to ensure your buying an EVGA product from a legitimate source.

This affects me right now because I would like to buy an EVGA GTX 1080ti, I have several hundred dollars in "gift points" on
Amazon so this would be my preferred place to purchase.  Sold by Amazon does not have alot of options (Not surprising since
high end graphics cards seem to be in short supply).  This leaves 3rd party sellers (potentially legitimate retailers, most likely not).

My thought is I could contact the seller and ask for verification of where they purchased the product.

Another thought I had, I looked into selling on Amazon at one point and found out that for certain categories they required proof
of invoice from a distributor.  Maybe EVGA could reach out to Amazon and ask to have there consumers protected by restricting the
sale of there items to 3rd parties with proof of invoice from an authorized distributor.

What are your thoughts?

Please don"t flame or throw blame, lets just focus on constructive Ideas
post edited by polarbeardj - 2017/09/13 08:54:49

My Affiliate Code: 3F5AN56XRT

6 Replies Related Threads

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: 3rd party sellers 2017/09/13 10:06:20 (permalink)
    Scalpers resell these GPUs in places like Amazon but the warranty takes a hit because of it since you'll be a secondary buyer instead of the original.

I understand you want to use your credit but you're most likely in a bind now since most stock you'll find on their marketplace is from scalpers.  There's no work around this or bending EVGA's policies.

You could read here more about it and even read responses from EVGA reps.
    post edited by GTXJackBauer - 2017/09/13 10:07:47

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    EVGA_Lee
    • Total Posts : 4247
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: 3rd party sellers 2017/09/13 12:08:01 (permalink)
    polarbeardj
    [...]

Another thought I had, I looked into selling on Amazon at one point and found out that for certain categories they required proof
    of invoice from a distributor.  Maybe EVGA could reach out to Amazon and ask to have there consumers protected by restricting the
    sale of there items to 3rd parties with proof of invoice from an authorized distributor.

What are your thoughts?
    [...]

We already do this, actually.

Generally, EVGA can only control this to a certain extent on Amazon.  New 3rd-party sellers must show proof of being an authorized reseller or have an invoice from a distributor.  However, older 3rd-party sellers may be permitted to sell on Amazon without this requirement.  Some of this comes down to EVGA's contractual relationship with Amazon, and Amazon's contractual relationship with individuals/businesses that had an existing relationship before Amazon updated some of its policies.  

As a result, it would be impossible for us to track down which 3rd-party sellers are selling a particular product, and whether that product was correctly purchased from an authorized distributor.  The only way we can verify that a 3rd-party is selling a product with a full warranty is by checking the serial number of the product.  You may be able to contact the seller directly. [Edit] Even so, the most we can verify is that the warranty chain is intact; a serial number does not tell you (or us) whether the product was opened or has been used by the reseller (or that the reseller will ultimately send you that product).

For example, I did a quick search of our GTX 1070s, and this is one of the 3rd-party sellers.  Please note that I'm not implying any preference, relationship, endorsement, or recommendation of this seller; this is just one of a number of options that were available.  Some of the sellers have contact information if you want to ask questions:

Customer Service and our Sales department receive multiple requests every week asking for us to provide a bona fides letter or create an invoice by purchasing directly from EVGA Sales so that people can get on Amazon to sell products.  Naturally, we decline these requests. 
    post edited by EVGATech_LeeM - 2017/09/13 12:15:03
    polarbeardj
    iCX Member
    Re: 3rd party sellers 2017/09/13 13:36:12 (permalink)
    EVGATech_LeeM
    polarbeardj
    [...]

What are your thoughts?
    [...]

We already do this, actually.

Generally, EVGA can only control this to a certain extent on Amazon.  New 3rd-party sellers must show proof of being an authorized reseller or have an invoice from a distributor.  However, older 3rd-party sellers may be permitted to sell on Amazon without this requirement.  Some of this comes down to EVGA's contractual relationship with Amazon, and Amazon's contractual relationship with individuals/businesses that had an existing relationship before Amazon updated some of its policies.  

As a result, it would be impossible for us to track down which 3rd-party sellers are selling a particular product, and whether that product was correctly purchased from an authorized distributor.  The only way we can verify that a 3rd-party is selling a product with a full warranty is by checking the serial number of the product.  You may be able to contact the seller directly. [Edit] Even so, the most we can verify is that the warranty chain is intact; a serial number does not tell you (or us) whether the product was opened or has been used by the reseller (or that the reseller will ultimately send you that product).

For example, I did a quick search of our GTX 1070s, and this is one of the 3rd-party sellers.  Please note that I'm not implying any preference, relationship, endorsement, or recommendation of this seller; this is just one of a number of options that were available.  Some of the sellers have contact information if you want to ask questions:

Customer Service and our Sales department receive multiple requests every week asking for us to provide a bona fides letter or create an invoice by purchasing directly from EVGA Sales so that people can get on Amazon to sell products.  Naturally, we decline these requests. 

EVGATech_LeeM,

Great information!
    I understand there are enormous difficulties in trying to balance authorized sellers and customer happiness.  And I am glad to see EVGA working with Amazon to try and help.

My thoughts with this thread were to see if we as a community could come up with some outside the box thinking on how to do some due diligence of
    our own for the times when the clear authorized market is lean and you just need to get your EVGA fix.

In this case I am most likely going to purchase an Amazon Gift card with my points and sell it to my co-worker for the face value and just use it at the local Micro-Center, or Frys.

somethingc00l
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 752
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: 3rd party sellers 2017/09/13 18:24:15 (permalink)
    I personally don't buy big ticket items from 3rd party marketplace sellers unless I know of them outside of the marketplace. E.g. B&H Photo, Adorama, BeachAudio, Outletpc.com, etc.; places that have established retail business I'm fine with purchasing from. If it's some no name store I've never heard of there is no way I'm sending them a bunch of money, even if I get the product you know after sale support will be poor. If it's some $20 item sure, but I'm not buying anything that I couldn't afford to lose from some random store.
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: 3rd party sellers 2017/09/13 20:17:24 (permalink)
    somethingc00l
    I personally don't buy big ticket items from 3rd party marketplace sellers unless I know of them outside of the marketplace. E.g. B&H Photo, Adorama, BeachAudio, Outletpc.com, etc.; places that have established retail business I'm fine with purchasing from. If it's some no name store I've never heard of there is no way I'm sending them a bunch of money, even if I get the product you know after sale support will be poor. If it's some $20 item sure, but I'm not buying anything that I couldn't afford to lose from some random store.

Well said.  

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    polarbeardj
    iCX Member
    Re: 3rd party sellers 2017/09/13 20:37:44 (permalink)
    somethingc00l

I agree with that also.

You list BeachAudio, they are an Amazon marketplace seller, a quick google search says that B&H and Adorama also sell on Amazon. 
    So I have learned that some of the other big names do sell through Amazon I guess in the future if I run into a problem finding stock for something I now know that I can browse the 3rd party sellers and just might find a reputable business with what I need.

Thanks somethingc00l 

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile