Two weeks? A month? Three months?

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
mpoffo
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 625
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: Two weeks? A month? Three months? 2017/08/14 14:05:59 (permalink)
Stephenk291
Many reviews commented on it being a 10core vs 16core benchmark, intel even told many pro reviewers that the 10 core was the most comparable due to price point, which is what all the reviews I've read has touched on. That's the fairest way to compare them..price.

Not arguing that.  It just seems off to me if you look at the chips themselves without price that you are comparing a 16 vs 10 core.  Granted the price is a big deal to many (maybe most) people.  I guess my point above was that core for core Intel may have them beat.

I viewed a lot of TR reviews.  Some did note the core difference (some more than others).  Some(more balanced ones) seemed to hedge is recommending one of the other.  TR wins for multiple core workload (duh...with 6 more cores it should) but gaming not so great.  X299 wins some of the multi-thread but did better in games.  Some gave the crown to TR due to the price difference not due to the performance difference.   Many also stressed that either CPU didn't make sense for a gamer alone but then acknowledged that hardcore enthusiasts that game will probably go to one of them.

Bottom line, both chips work well and should more than suffice I suppose for those using them.  Its good there is competition.

X299 System:
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Intel Core i9 7900x (4.4 GHz)| ASUS Rampage VI 
Extreme | 32 GB 3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 
Corsair 900D | Corsair AX 1200i PSU | Corsair H115i Elite Capellix (in Push/Pull) | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra & 1080 8 GB
Samsung 870 PRO 2 TB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | Intel 520 SATA SSD 240GB HD | 2 & 4 TB WD Black Hard Drive 
Creative Sound Blaster Z | Logitech THX 5.1 speaker setup | LG Blu-ray burner | Corsair AF 120 and 140 Fans
Acer x34 Predator (G-Sync) | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster PX2370  

wjerla
  • Total Posts : 57
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Two weeks? A month? Three months? 2017/08/15 17:45:04 (permalink)
Stephenk291
Many reviews commented on it being a 10core vs 16core benchmark, intel even told many pro reviewers that the 10 core was the most comparable due to price point, which is what all the reviews I've read has touched on. That's the fairest way to compare them..price.

Not defending Intel by any means, but (for me anyway) I'd like to see equivalent core counts up against each other, at least for multi-threaded workloads.  To me, saying a 16-core chip beats a 10-core chip in a multi-threaded workload is like saying a Chevrolet Corvette is faster than a Chevrolet Cruze. I mean, 6 more cores / 12 more threads is a no-brainer in a properly optimized multi-threaded workload.

Of course, part of a good review of this sort would be the whole value proposition: is Intel's higher price point worth it?  I would suspect not, at least not as much more as they are charging, and so would expect points to be deducted from Intel in this area. 
Cristiancl
  • Total Posts : 27
Re: Two weeks? A month? Three months? 2017/08/16 17:55:49 (permalink)
Stephenk291

Not at all. There is no law stating that a 16 core CPU should cost U$999. Different products have different prices, it's not like it's the same products. Sure, both are CPU's, but they carry different technologies, and while i appreciate AMD effort to be back at the game, Intel has definitely a better polished product. Yeah, they messed up with TIM, and they're greedy (who can blame them? they didn't even have a competitor for years!) but their product has better technology hardware-wise and software-wise, that had been developed over the years. Not that AMD makes bad products, their cost/benefit is great! but at the end of the day, me, the consumer, who will spend my hard earned money, where should i spend it on? On a product that is more expensive, but that it's better and won't fail me, or a new product with a new technology that hadn't been tested over a long period of time that is cheaper and is a bit worse than the expensive one, which can fail at any time, depend on software (AMD GPU has the worst drivers) to properly use it. If i want the best out of my money, i'll stick with Intel. But hey, competition is good! AMD should sell a lot of CPUs so they force intel to develop better CPUs and lower prices! There's always the low hanging fruit.

The wisest are the most annoyed at the loss of time
tusharsingal
  • Total Posts : 17
Re: Two weeks? A month? Three months? 2017/08/18 16:57:52 (permalink)
Cristiancl
Stephenk291

Not at all. There is no law stating that a 16 core CPU should cost U$999. Different products have different prices, it's not like it's the same products. Sure, both are CPU's, but they carry different technologies, and while i appreciate AMD effort to be back at the game, Intel has definitely a better polished product. Yeah, they messed up with TIM, and they're greedy (who can blame them? they didn't even have a competitor for years!) but their product has better technology hardware-wise and software-wise, that had been developed over the years. Not that AMD makes bad products, their cost/benefit is great! but at the end of the day, me, the consumer, who will spend my hard earned money, where should i spend it on? On a product that is more expensive, but that it's better and won't fail me, or a new product with a new technology that hadn't been tested over a long period of time that is cheaper and is a bit worse than the expensive one, which can fail at any time, depend on software (AMD GPU has the worst drivers) to properly use it. If i want the best out of my money, i'll stick with Intel. But hey, competition is good! AMD should sell a lot of CPUs so they force intel to develop better CPUs and lower prices! There's always the low hanging fruit.

You should know that CPUs are heavily tested and essentially failure-proof by the time they leave the factory. In fact, AMD has had less bugs in their Ryzen uarch than Intel has had over these past few generations.

Furthermore, CPUs are *not* "driver-dependent", so software is a complete non-issue. The technologies being used in the newer AMD processors are a bit inferior to Intel's, but they are much more scalable, much cheaper, and importantly - just as reliable. 

Cristiancl
  • Total Posts : 27
Re: Two weeks? A month? Three months? 2017/08/18 18:03:16 (permalink)
tusharsingal
Cristiancl
Stephenk291

You should know that CPUs are heavily tested and essentially failure-proof by the time they leave the factory. In fact, AMD has had less bugs in their Ryzen uarch than Intel has had over these past few generations.

Furthermore, CPUs are *not* "driver-dependent", so software is a complete non-issue. The technologies being used in the newer AMD processors are a bit inferior to Intel's, but they are much more scalable, much cheaper, and importantly - just as reliable. 

I'm not referring to CPU drivers, but to instructions set developed on the chip. Yet you need an AMD's software to fully utilize Threadripper full overclock power. As an older AMD Graphics Card consumer, having suffered multiple times with faulty drivers, i would never trust that company on releasing good software. They're just terrible at that.

About reliability, we need time to see if they're in fact good. Are you willing to be a beta tester? well, not me.

The wisest are the most annoyed at the loss of time
R3P01
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 198
Re: Two weeks? A month? Three months? 2017/08/20 08:24:30 (permalink)
So waiting for these boards I am finally going to upgrade my Z77 FTW
quadlatte
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 7191
  • Ribbons : 56
Re: Two weeks? A month? Three months? 2017/08/23 12:11:28 (permalink)
they will release them then intel will release a "updated" cpu that requires a new chipset a few weeks later. 

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=72498
greensoldierusa
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 106
Re: Two weeks? A month? Three months? 2017/08/31 20:14:49 (permalink)
quadlatte
they will release them then intel will release a "updated" cpu that requires a new chipset a few weeks later. 

Pretty much shooting the platform in the knee caps in my opinion.

CSN7
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 325
  • Ribbons : 6
Re: Two weeks? A month? Three months? 2017/09/01 00:45:13 (permalink)
wait which platform are we talking about, only know about Z370 that will get a new chipset shortly after
ccosborne3
  • Total Posts : 39
Re: Two weeks? A month? Three months? 2017/09/06 21:05:31 (permalink)
I did a Ryzen build instead of waiting and it's just meh. I'm switching back. All around it just felt inferior, every overclock a battle. Still not going to wait though, went with a competitors X299 MATX board, love EVGA but stat wise I'm not seeing an advantage worth waiting for.
CSN7
iCX Member
Re: Two weeks? A month? Three months? 2017/09/06 21:25:26 (permalink)
May I ask which competitors board you chose? As far as I'm aware there is only the Msi one... and last time I checked it wasn't really available.
ccosborne3
  • Total Posts : 39
Re: Two weeks? A month? Three months? 2017/09/06 22:29:40 (permalink)
Yep, that's right. Ordered it from Superbiiz and it got here a few days ago. It's readily available.
CSN7
iCX Member
Re: Two weeks? A month? Three months? 2017/09/07 08:24:26 (permalink)
I guess europe has still some more weeks to wait since it's no where on the horizon here. I fear I will have to add aditional weeks to whatever release date EVGA comes up with, too. X299 isn't even listet in the Motherboard Section of the german EVGA website. Sigh.
Yoda_In_Area51
  • Total Posts : 83
Re: Two weeks? A month? Three months? 2017/09/07 09:16:03 (permalink)
Come on chaps lets see some Z370 mobo pics/news EVGA =)

Seen some MSI and Asrock ones this morning.

To EVGA - Get in front of the competition fellas!
post edited by Yoda_In_Area51 - 2017/09/07 09:20:29

Gaming Rig 1: CPU: Intel i7 8700K @ 5.0Ghz (de-lidded) , Mobo: Asus ROG Extreme Z390, Memory: 16GB DDR4 Gskill Trident Z 3200 Mhz, GFX: EVGA 1080TI FTW3 Hybrid , Cooling: EK custom water loop, HDD1: WD Black 250 GB M2, HDD2: Samsung EVO 850 500GB HDD3: 1TB WD, Audio: Onboard, AKG K702, Astro A40s and Razer Hammerhead Pro V2,Monitor: ROG Asus PG279Q, BenQ 27", Mouse:White Logitech G305, Keyboard:Asus Claymore TKL, 850w EVGA G2!

Gaming Rig 2: CPU: AMD 3700X , Mobo: Asus ROG Hero X570 , Memory: 16GB DDR4 Gskill Trident Z 3200 Mhz, GFX: EVGA 2070 Super FTW3 Ultra, Cooling: Deep Cool 360 EX, HDD1: 250 GB WD Black M2, HDD2:  500GB HDD3: 500GB HDD4: 1TB WD, Audio: Asus Essence STX II, Astro A40s and Razer True Wireless, Monitor: Acer Predator 27" 1080p 240HZ , Mouse: Black Logitech G305, Keyboard: Fnatic TKL, 850w EVGA G3
Iamrogue
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 235
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: Two weeks? A month? Three months? 2017/09/07 10:06:25 (permalink)
better leave the mobo business to the pros and keep providing gpus only
we all know it is going this direction

7980XE @ 4,98GHz | 32GB @ 4294 CL17/17/17/37 | X299 DARK | 2xRTX2080Ti @ 2130MHz | 2,5TB NVMe(intel) | 1600W T2 

https://www.3dmark.com/spy/8483122

https://www.3dmark.com/fs/20405972
CSN7
iCX Member
Re: Two weeks? A month? Three months? 2017/09/07 12:36:22 (permalink)
Iamrogue
better leave the mobo business to the pros and keep providing gpus only
we all know it is going this direction

I wouldn't be so harsh. For motherboards the first one that always used to come to my mind first was Asus, always went to Asus in the past for mobos. But if you compare their current lineup of boards even the little Micro comes with some really important features on the boards that all Asus boards except Deluxe, APEX and Extreme lack.

For an overclocker it's important to have for example both a little debug display and a dedicated power and reset button, most Asus boards have neither nor or only the buttons or only the display which sucks tbh. Also EVGA  added this easily swappable bios chip, which is pretty nice to have imho just in case. While they might lack some of the fancy software Asus provides (which honestly has caused multiple problems for many users in the past) they at least have their own usb bios flashing which is always handy. They got not as much RGB which is fine with me personally since I'm not a huge fan of it. On many boards it's getting out of hand (gigabyte *cough cough*). On the OC features the Asus Strix is a complete rip off, you don't get no power/reset button nor a debug display on a mid to high end board marketed with strong overclocking support... Stick gaming to the name and the stupid crowd will buy it I guess. Asus boards other than Apex Extreme and Strix all look somehow outdated, not very pleasing at all. Evga on the other hand is improving each generation and I feel like they nailed the aesthetics this time. Also VRM and mosfet components are very good on EVGA.

One thing though is the bios. Huge plus for Asus in the past, many options. Really hope EVGA brings it on this time with the right amount of options for enthusiasts and with good memory support. Hope there won't be any major hick-ups. At least even the little Micro is proven to be an outstanding platform even for powerhungy chips. Kingpin managed to get some impressive overclocks on LN2 on it and shattered some world records (admittedly mostly because of his gpus but also his 7900X was heavily overclocked and according to his facebook, it was some easily achievable and save settings).

EVGA lacks behind in onboard audio, which is okay if you use a dedicated soundcard, misses some customisation options (mostly RGB and 3D printing readyness if someone is into that), which doesn't hurt me so bad. Does sadly for me not have a single temp sensor plug on the Micro, but then again most other users won't miss it. And it's harder to get watercooling blocks for the VRMs but I figured something out. I wonder though while EVGA always works together with EK on the Hydro Copper series video cards ewhy they don't provide some water blocks for their boards themselves. I'm sure there would be plenty of customers wanting to get those from EVGA directly instead of DIY solutions.

All in all and upon closer inspection EVGA actually provides many essential enthusiast options even on their entry level boards that you would have to pay a hefty price premium for products of the competition just for product diversity politics.

ccosborne3
Yep, that's right. Ordered it from Superbiiz and it got here a few days ago. It's readily available.

Be aware the Msi X299M Carbon AC doesn't come with the good VRMs/mosfets of it's bigger brother. Instead it shares the aweful component selectios and placing (back of the board unable to be cooled properly) of their entry level boards (Raider, SLI, Tomahawk) that show the most VRM overheating. 

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/923/WHz2DM.png

So I decided to wait for the Micro. The option for a second M.2 device would have been nice, but then again my 1TB Samsung 960 Pro will be be more than sufficient for my needs for some time.
post edited by Snipes7 - 2017/09/07 13:13:20
Iamrogue
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 235
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: Two weeks? A month? Three months? 2017/09/09 01:05:08 (permalink)
overheating vrm is something that I didn't catch in my cheapest ever MSI. the difference is maybe that I have rad on top with 3 fans that suck out all the heat out of my case and vrm section.
the radiator on it i can easly touch with my finger and it is warm but do no hurt me, so it is 100% below 70'C
and this is cheapest board that has u.2 and was available at launch, I didnt even update BIOS since then.

I think that fans in ceses are common thing when we are talking about HEDT users as us

And yes, I am using 10c @ 4,7ghz with 26'C idle and below are two 1080ti SC

the only reasons I am aiming for EVGA FTW-K are:
1. it is EVGA and I am a fanboy
2. it has 2x U.2 that would alow me to use two intel 3520 for my storage

my build is a temporary'one as I was waiting for the FTW to come out. When it would I would put water on my GPUs and RAM and proudly use it for few months without any problems.

Now I am going for Rampage Extreme that will be out next week. The storage "problem" will be solved by switching intel to another 960pro.

As even my cheap X299 board offers all that 99,9% of this platform users can dream of the only reasons for wanting to go for more expensive product are its brand and visuals...
Do I like more how the FTW-K looks from RE? - YES, a bit.
Is it enough to wait for ever without any information from EVGA about "when"? - NO

If you value your money and don't care about visuals go and get the cheapest MB with spec you need and move on. You will lock that board in your case and you will not look at it when you frag some dude in game you play or when you render some file at work.

thank you
post edited by Iamrogue - 2017/09/09 01:08:21

7980XE @ 4,98GHz | 32GB @ 4294 CL17/17/17/37 | X299 DARK | 2xRTX2080Ti @ 2130MHz | 2,5TB NVMe(intel) | 1600W T2 

https://www.3dmark.com/spy/8483122

https://www.3dmark.com/fs/20405972
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile