EVGA

Helpful ReplyKraken G12 Install on 1080 Ti Fe with pictures

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
owhatnow6
  • Total Posts : 25
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Kraken G12 Install on 1080 Ti Fe with pictures 2017/05/03 13:46:41 (permalink)
Schlomo
owhatnow6
DrunkMexican
Very tempted to try this, just not overly excited to take apart my GPU. I have replaced the stock cooler in the past with a gigantic after-market cooler and was not a fun job, although the results were totally worth it.

Yea I was pretty nervous when taking mine apart since this is the nicest/newest graphics card I've ever owned and EVGA put a "warranty void if removed" sticker over one of the backplate screws so there wasn't any turning back once I started, now that its done though and my computer doesn't sound like a jet engine every time I boot up a game I'm pretty glad I made the switch

Is warranty really voided though with installing the G12? I thought EVGA covered removing the heatsink / cooler.

I've read that too but if you break it in the process of making the switch I know its not covered by warranty, maybe someone from EVGA could clarify what the exact rules are though because I'm not sure how it works to be honest.

arestavo
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6916
  • Ribbons : 76
Re: Kraken G12 Install on 1080 Ti Fe with pictures 2017/05/03 16:02:39 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby owhatnow6 2017/05/03 16:14:24
owhatnow6
Schlomo
owhatnow6
DrunkMexican
Very tempted to try this, just not overly excited to take apart my GPU. I have replaced the stock cooler in the past with a gigantic after-market cooler and was not a fun job, although the results were totally worth it.

Yea I was pretty nervous when taking mine apart since this is the nicest/newest graphics card I've ever owned and EVGA put a "warranty void if removed" sticker over one of the backplate screws so there wasn't any turning back once I started, now that its done though and my computer doesn't sound like a jet engine every time I boot up a game I'm pretty glad I made the switch

Is warranty really voided though with installing the G12? I thought EVGA covered removing the heatsink / cooler.

I've read that too but if you break it in the process of making the switch I know its not covered by warranty, maybe someone from EVGA could clarify what the exact rules are though because I'm not sure how it works to be honest.

It's been clarified before - that is a tamper sticker only, for when you send it back for RMA or for step up so that they check it out more closely.

The warranty is not voided, same as it was before, as long as you do not physically damage the card and put it back the way it was before sending it in.
owhatnow6
Re: Kraken G12 Install on 1080 Ti Fe with pictures 2017/05/03 16:18:50 (permalink)
arestavo
owhatnow6
Schlomo
owhatnow6
DrunkMexican

It's been clarified before - that is a tamper sticker only, for when you send it back for RMA or for step up so that they check it out more closely.

The warranty is not voided, same as it was before, as long as you do not physically damage the card and put it back the way it was before sending it in.

That's good to know! I assumed the worst and figured there was going to be some loophole like "Yea you can change the cooler but you took off the "warranty void if removed" sticker so you voided your warranty" lol
Nemes1s89
  • Total Posts : 98
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Kraken G12 Install on 1080 Ti Fe with pictures 2017/05/04 06:56:16 (permalink)
looks awesome and cold too :D
owhatnow6
Re: Kraken G12 Install on 1080 Ti Fe with pictures 2017/05/04 09:03:49 (permalink)
Nemes1s89
looks awesome and cold too :D

Thanks!
owhatnow6
Re: Kraken G12 Install on 1080 Ti Fe with pictures 2017/05/05 15:59:38 (permalink)
Just wanted to update this after a week of using the G12/H90 combo for anyone still on the fence about going through with this mod, mostly to share the things I like about the way I did things and what I would do differently.

First and foremost I wish I had went with an AIO with longer tubing so that I could have used a top/rear exhausting push/pull radiator mounting rather than the current front intake pull/(kind of push?) setup I was forced to use. I definitely underestimated how much the Cryorig R1 I am using would effect radiator placement, which did in fact have a decent amount of room for a radiator and fan above and behind it, but collided with the hoses coming out of the radiator in both top and rear exhaust setups which was something I hadn't considered. Because of the tubes still being somewhat inflexible, even a front mounting put more strain on the card than I was comfortable with so I used some radiator mounts I had on hand as spacers which you can kind of see below.

Next, I wish I would have taken the money I spent on heatsinks and thermal pads (~$30?) to instead buy a Noctua PWM fan to replace the 3 pin fan on the G12, along with some thermal probes compatible with my Mobo to place on the VRM/VRAM so that I could use Ai suite to control the G12's fan and set an alert in case they reached temps over 120C. It seems that the VRM/VRAM will do fine without the stock midplate (In my specific setup at least) as long as you have decent airflow in your case and the ambient temperature in your room isn't 50C. Also, if you decide to go without heatsinks you have the added benefit of not having to worry about causing a short circuit or of them falling off since they will be hanging upside down. The Arctic pads I used have held up well so far, but it has only been a week, so time will tell if they fall off or not.

All in all though I am very happy with my choice of water cooling my 1080 Ti FE, which performs much better with the lower temps thanks to how GPU boost works, and has the advantage of being able to use the G12/H90 on my next card as well which was a big selling point for me.

Attached Image(s)

GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10323
  • Ribbons : 48
Re: Kraken G12 Install on 1080 Ti Fe with pictures 2017/05/05 16:29:40 (permalink)
Not to crash your parade OP and thanks for sharing this info but this technically isn't a mod since all it is is a GPU bracket w/out the AIO cooler.  This was designed the way you just installed it.  You just get the shroud with fan and the AIO is bought separately.  I like it better that way because it gives the user the opportunity to grab say a 240mm AIO for better cooling performance.  You also didn't need those heatsinks as you already pointed, is a risk in of itself if one of them makes contact and shorts the board but regardless, the fan from the shroud is there for those cooling needs just like a typical hybrid cooler.  I've been echoing this product for weeks for those looking for a hybrid cooler since EVGA had run out of stock very quickly as all those folks have to do is, buy the Kraken G12 (Newer revision and easier to install apparently.) and purchase the AIO separately.
post edited by GTXJackBauer - 2017/05/05 16:35:07

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
owhatnow6
Re: Kraken G12 Install on 1080 Ti Fe with pictures 2017/05/05 17:09:48 (permalink)
GTXJackBauer
Not to crash your parade OP and thanks for sharing this info but this technically isn't a mod since all it is is a GPU bracket w/out the AIO cooler.  This was designed the way you just installed it.  You just get the shroud with fan and the AIO is bought separately.  I like it better that way because it gives the user the opportunity to grab say a 240mm AIO for better cooling performance.  You also didn't need those heatsinks as you already pointed, is a risk in of itself if one of them makes contact and shorts the board but regardless, the fan from the shroud is there for those cooling needs just like a typical hybrid cooler.  I've been echoing this product for weeks for those looking for a hybrid cooler since EVGA had run out of stock very quickly as all those folks have to do is, buy the Kraken G12 (Newer revision and easier to install apparently.) and purchase the AIO separately.

Yea I know its not a mod as in the technical sense but you are taking apart your GPU to change the cooler so it's not exactly adding a sticker either.  And I agree with you on not needing the heatsinks, but if someone does a google search for the G10 for example you'll see alot of conflicting information on whether they are needed or not so I went ahead and did it anyway, but made sure to point out they are probably unnecessary at several points. I know most people already know all of this, but I wanted to do a write-up for someone like me who hadn't done it before and couldn't find any information on this specific combo
Jesso2k
  • Total Posts : 47
Re: Kraken G12 Install on 1080 Ti Fe with pictures 2017/05/06 17:38:35 (permalink)
Could you have squeezed the backplate on if you wanted too? I did with my G10 bracket a couple cards ago.

owhatnow6
Re: Kraken G12 Install on 1080 Ti Fe with pictures 2017/05/06 18:05:46 (permalink)
Jesso2k
Could you have squeezed the backplate on if you wanted too? I did with my G10 bracket a couple cards ago.

You can put the backplate on but you will need nuts for the screws that held the old cooler on for it to actually brace your card since the backplate screws fasten into the cooler mounting screws. You could put it back together without any nuts for the cooler screws though and have it just sit on top of the card, it wouldn't offer any support though
Jesso2k
Re: Kraken G12 Install on 1080 Ti Fe with pictures 2017/05/07 09:00:31 (permalink)

You got me inspired yesterday. I dug out my old g10 & h55 and slapped them on my 1080 ti. I had it complete with black heatsinks that all started falling out... Which reminded me why I swore off my g10 off in the first place. I got frustrated and knocked them all off with a popsicle stick. Reading up on the old puget review that brought up concerns about the vrm I see that they used furmark, and when they were in-game it was ok. So for now they stay off, I'm moving on to solve the sag now.
post edited by Jesso2k - 2017/05/07 09:04:03

Hoggle
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 10101
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: Kraken G12 Install on 1080 Ti Fe with pictures 2017/05/07 09:48:20 (permalink)
Really nice build. I like the white since you see so many cases using red, blue or green inside the cause to making it "gaming" the white really is a nice change.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

owhatnow6
Re: Kraken G12 Install on 1080 Ti Fe with pictures 2017/05/07 11:10:22 (permalink)
Jesso2k

You got me inspired yesterday. I dug out my old g10 & h55 and slapped them on my 1080 ti. I had it complete with black heatsinks that all started falling out... Which reminded me why I swore off my g10 off in the first place. I got frustrated and knocked them all off with a popsicle stick. Reading up on the old puget review that brought up concerns about the vrm I see that they used furmark, and when they were in-game it was ok. So for now they stay off, I'm moving on to solve the sag now.

That looks awesome man, honestly you should be fine without the heatsinks at all, the vrm on the 1080 ti seems to stay pretty cool unlike older cards that had issues with it, and I honestly wish I would have upgraded the g12 fan instead of buying heatsinks at all. Were you able to screw the backplate down or is the g10 holding it?
Jesso2k
Re: Kraken G12 Install on 1080 Ti Fe with pictures 2017/05/07 11:22:22 (permalink)
The G10 has the left side bracketed in. I just tossed the right side on top and slid it into place, it's not held by anything. I remember with my old 780 Ti, I used to use zip ties in the corners to keep the plate in place, but with the tiny screws Nvidia uses now that wasn't possible.

owhatnow6
Re: Kraken G12 Install on 1080 Ti Fe with pictures 2017/05/07 11:22:29 (permalink)
kdurrell
Really nice build. I like the white since you see so many cases using red, blue or green inside the cause to making it "gaming" the white really is a nice change.

Thanks!
owhatnow6
Re: Kraken G12 Install on 1080 Ti Fe with pictures 2017/05/07 11:35:50 (permalink)
Jesso2k
The G10 has the left side bracketed in. I just tossed the right side on top and slid it into place, it's not held by anything. I remember with my old 780 Ti, I used to use zip ties in the corners to keep the plate in place, but with the tiny screws Nvidia uses now that wasn't possible.

Yea it sucks because I was planning on using the backplate myself but with the g12 there is nothing to hold it, maybe you could use an ek backplate since they are one piece and the screws won't matter? That might fix your sag too if you can find a way to tighten it down in a couple spots
nycalex80
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 157
Re: Kraken G12 Install on 1080 Ti Fe with pictures 2017/05/08 06:11:18 (permalink)
tried to do this yesterday as i have a brand new g12 + h55 cooler (btw, amazon delivered the h55 in 6 hours same day order, LOL).

i got as far as removing the back plate.

with that off.........you need a hex screw driver, meh

darn it, i had to order a hex screw driver set from amazon........sigh......
post edited by nycalex80 - 2017/05/08 08:22:42

Main Gaming Rig:  
Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 orange edition
Asus ROG maximus viii hero
I7 6700k @ 4.5 1.26v
NZXT Kraken X62 cpu cooler
32gb Gskill trident Z
Evga supernova P2 1000w
Evga GTX 1080 TI + evga hybrid kit. 2025 OC.
500 gb samsung 960 Pro nvme ssd
500gb samsung 850evo x 2 in raid 0
Hitachi X300 6tb HDD
WD black 2tb
absolutelly ZERO cable management (i'm too lazy)

owhatnow6
Re: Kraken G12 Install on 1080 Ti Fe with pictures 2017/05/08 09:11:27 (permalink)
nycalex80
tried to do this yesterday as i have a brand new g12 + h55 cooler (btw, amazon delivered the h55 in 6 hours same day order, LOL).

i got as far as removing the back plate.

with that off.........you need a hex screw driver, meh

darn it, i had to order a hex screw driver set from amazon........sigh......

That sucks man, it's a 4mm hex I think so maybe you could find it in a socket set at Walmart or Lowe's? But if you want one from Amazon since you can get same day shipping I got a syntus electronics screwdriver kit for like 10 bucks that I used which was pretty nice for the money
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21171
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: Kraken G12 Install on 1080 Ti Fe with pictures 2017/06/23 19:37:02 (permalink)
owhatnow6
You may be able to get away with not using heatsinks at all since the G12 has a fan for this purpose and the VRM components can handle alot of heat, but I decided to be cautious and use them anyway. I used arctic thermal pads from amazon, (One 50mmx50mmx1mm and One 50mmx50mmx.5mm sheet) and two packs of VRAM heatsinks (8 pack) and one pack of FET heatsinks (20 pack) but I would recommend getting two instead since I didn't have enough to put one on every component. I removed the adhesive from the bottom of the heatsinks and cleaned off any residue with 90% rubbing alcohol, then cut the Arctic thermal pads to size, using the 1mm pads for the VRAM heatsinks and .5mm for the FET heatsinks. The thermal tape that comes with the heatsinks may be sufficient, but there was no information on its conductivity so I opted to replace it. Something to remember is to be careful not to short anything out with the metal heatsinks, I made sure that the thermal pads were covering the entire bottom of the heatsink to prevent this. Make sure to firmly press your heatsinks on so that they don't fall off as well, and clean off any residue from the old thermal pads as it will prevent the new ones from sticking.

How did you keep the heatsinks sticking, hanging upside-down, once they heated up?  I am very surprised.  Normally you need to use some sort of physical clamping device, thermal tape (like your heatsinks originally came), or thermal adhesive.  Thermal pads don't usually cause things to stick together by much more than a suction effect once the components heat up.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

owhatnow6
Re: Kraken G12 Install on 1080 Ti Fe with pictures 2017/06/24 17:39:36 (permalink)
ty_ger07
owhatnow6
You may be able to get away with not using heatsinks at all since the G12 has a fan for this purpose and the VRM components can handle alot of heat, but I decided to be cautious and use them anyway. I used arctic thermal pads from amazon, (One 50mmx50mmx1mm and One 50mmx50mmx.5mm sheet) and two packs of VRAM heatsinks (8 pack) and one pack of FET heatsinks (20 pack) but I would recommend getting two instead since I didn't have enough to put one on every component. I removed the adhesive from the bottom of the heatsinks and cleaned off any residue with 90% rubbing alcohol, then cut the Arctic thermal pads to size, using the 1mm pads for the VRAM heatsinks and .5mm for the FET heatsinks. The thermal tape that comes with the heatsinks may be sufficient, but there was no information on its conductivity so I opted to replace it. Something to remember is to be careful not to short anything out with the metal heatsinks, I made sure that the thermal pads were covering the entire bottom of the heatsink to prevent this. Make sure to firmly press your heatsinks on so that they don't fall off as well, and clean off any residue from the old thermal pads as it will prevent the new ones from sticking.

How did you keep the heatsinks sticking, hanging upside-down, once they heated up?  I am very surprised.  Normally you need to use some sort of physical clamping device, thermal tape (like your heatsinks originally came), or thermal adhesive.  Thermal pads don't usually cause things to stick together by much more than a suction effect once the components heat up.

Yea I was pretty surprised myself especially since the reviews for those specific pads on amazon said they wouldn't hold heat sinks, but I didn't want to use thermal glue since I imagine it's pretty hard to remove in case I had to get an RMA. My plan was to just take them off if they started failing but they are still hanging in there with no signs of falling off. I did make sure to clean the components as much as possible with an alcohol swab as well as the heatsinks before application so maybe that helped, but the heatsinks are pretty light and the 1mm pads held them surprisingly well, maybe thanks to some kind of suction?
robinson427
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Kraken G12 Install on 1080 Ti Fe with pictures 2018/03/08 17:55:31 (permalink)
I wanted to check in and see how your heatsinks are holding up? Are the thermal pads still tight? I'm about to add heatsinks to my G12 setup because the VRM's are running hot and can't decide whether to use thermal pads or thermal adhesive. I figure if your thermal pads are working then that is probably a better option because the thermal adhesive is permanent. 

Also, I wanted to add some advice for anyone else doing this setup. I replaced the NZXT fan with a Arctic F9 3-pin 92mm fan. The F9 gets 10CFM more airflow (even more than the 92mm Noctua) and runs 300RPM's higher without much sound. I recommend upgrading the fan for anyone who has an extreme overclock on their GPU.
cboyd1044
  • Total Posts : 14
Re: Kraken G12 Install on 1080 Ti Fe with pictures 2019/01/18 13:20:57 (permalink)
I just ordered a g12 and h55 and was wondering what you did eventually? Im not the OP but just curious! I don't plan on adding any vrm heatsinks. If you did, which ones did you get?

Cheers!
Goemon2000
  • Total Posts : 18
Re: Kraken G12 Install on 1080 Ti Fe with pictures 2019/01/18 14:34:24 (permalink)
What kind of thermal tape did you use for the VRAM and VRM heatsinks? Can you share the thermal conductivity? Also, do you have enough clearance to cool the MOSFETs as well? I wonder if that would give you any improvements?
TwoEvilOne
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 716
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: Kraken G12 Install on 1080 Ti Fe with pictures 2019/01/22 16:37:20 (permalink)
nice, Keep it Cool!

Register your EVGA product with my affiliate code: LDCH3LNSPA
Check out my MODS RIGS view my system , and +1  TwoEvilOne's Stormbreaker .  Click here to become an EVGA elite member than an Associate. My 3090 Kingpin 3DMark Port Royal Score: 15,239[/alig
cboyd1044
  • Total Posts : 14
Re: Kraken G12 Install on 1080 Ti Fe with pictures 2019/01/28 09:26:02 (permalink)
I just installed my g12 and h55. It's fantastic. My temps went from 73 to 53.vrm and power also went down about 6-10 degrees as well using just the 92mm fan, I didn't use any heatsinks at all.
arestavo
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6916
  • Ribbons : 76
Re: Kraken G12 Install on 1080 Ti Fe with pictures 2019/01/28 20:59:39 (permalink)
cboyd1044
I just installed my g12 and h55. It's fantastic. My temps went from 73 to 53.vrm and power also went down about 6-10 degrees as well using just the 92mm fan, I didn't use any heatsinks at all.

Amazing what just airflow can do for the VRMs, eh? Too bad most people didn't really believe me when I told them about it.
dragomirc
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 760
Re: Kraken G12 Install on 1080 Ti Fe with pictures 2019/05/02 09:25:43 (permalink)
Vertical GPU mount looks even better. EVGA 2070 (Kraken X62). GPU overclocked 200Mhz an memory 800mhz.
Above is i7 9700K  overclocked at 5.3 GHz (kraken X72) System memory Dominator 3200 is overclocked to 3466MHz.
Those are 24/7 numbers, not just for benching.

peter1996
  • Total Posts : 9
Re: Kraken G12 Install on 1080 Ti Fe with pictures 2019/05/03 10:56:25 (permalink)
Nice :)
Gs11suv
  • Total Posts : 8
Re: Kraken G12 Install on 1080 Ti Fe with pictures 2021/03/31 05:20:46 (permalink)
Does anybody know what are  the seizes for these heatsinks?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile