Peripherals maker Mad Catz files for bankruptcy

Author
MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 14686
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 38
2017/03/31 09:37:33 (permalink)
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-03-31-peripherals-maker-mad-catz-files-for-bankruptcy

"As previously disclosed, the company's board of directors formed a special committee in 2016 to explore and evaluate strategic alternatives intended to maximise shareholder value, including a sale of the company," a Mad Catz statement reads.

"The Board of Directors made the decision to have the Company make a voluntary assignment in bankruptcy after considering various strategic alternatives, the interest of various stakeholders of the Company as well as a number of other factors. The Board of Directors has been advised by the Company's financial advisor and management that no viable strategic alternative in respect of a sale of the company or other corporate sale transaction is being made available to the company by any third party. In addition, the Board of Directors has also been advised that the Company's lenders will not increase the amount of its credit facilities beyond the current levels."

In other words - it's game over.

"The Company has been unable to find a satisfactory solution to its cash liquidity problems," Mad Catz now former boss Karen McGinnis concluded. "The Board of Directors and management would like to acknowledge the outstanding efforts of the company's employees in support of its business, especially during the time that the Company faced financial difficulties."

How can you fail to turn a profit making controllers for video games.

7 Replies Related Threads

loveha
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10497
    • Ribbons : 65
    Re: Peripherals maker Mad Catz files for bankruptcy 2017/03/31 09:44:05 (permalink)
    MSim
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-03-31-peripherals-maker-mad-catz-files-for-bankruptcy

"As previously disclosed, the company's board of directors formed a special committee in 2016 to explore and evaluate strategic alternatives intended to maximise shareholder value, including a sale of the company," a Mad Catz statement reads.

"The Board of Directors made the decision to have the Company make a voluntary assignment in bankruptcy after considering various strategic alternatives, the interest of various stakeholders of the Company as well as a number of other factors. The Board of Directors has been advised by the Company's financial advisor and management that no viable strategic alternative in respect of a sale of the company or other corporate sale transaction is being made available to the company by any third party. In addition, the Board of Directors has also been advised that the Company's lenders will not increase the amount of its credit facilities beyond the current levels."

In other words - it's game over.

"The Company has been unable to find a satisfactory solution to its cash liquidity problems," Mad Catz now former boss Karen McGinnis concluded. "The Board of Directors and management would like to acknowledge the outstanding efforts of the company's employees in support of its business, especially during the time that the Company faced financial difficulties."

Easy, make the quality garbage like they have ever since I can remember back in the 90's.

Case - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X
    Mobo - EVGA X570 FTW
    CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    RAM - 32GB Trident Z Royal 3600MHz 14-14-14-34
    GPU - EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
    PSU - Seasonic Prime TX-1000
    Heatkiller IV CPU Waterblock / Heatkiller V GPU Waterblock
    Heatkiller V EBC Active Backplate / Two Heatkiller Rad 360 L
    Six Noctua NF-A12x25 / Heatkiller D5 Pump
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21174
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Peripherals maker Mad Catz files for bankruptcy 2017/03/31 10:19:04 (permalink)
    loveha
    MSim

Easy, make the quality garbage like they have ever since I can remember back in the 90's.

Yup! Eventually, after the majority of your customers don't like the garbage product they purchased from you, you run out of a market to sell to.

I like how robotic, professional, and to-the-point the quotes above are from the board of directors, management, and financial advisor. Essentially: We are in trouble. What can we do? We have no innovative product to sell and no company wants to buy us out. Well, thanks everyone for the experience while it lasted!

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

ManBearPig
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6130
    • Ribbons : 20
    Re: Peripherals maker Mad Catz files for bankruptcy 2017/03/31 12:27:39 (permalink)
    Not all of their products were garbage.  I have one of their Tournament Edition Arcade Fight Sticks (MvC version) and it is the best peripheral I've bought for any console I've ever owned (all the way back to the Intellivision days).  The build quality is superb and the Marvel Vs. Capcom art is great.  But ya, most of their other products were usually substandard and lacking (stopped buying their controllers in the N64 days, used a buddies OG Xbox controller of theirs).  I will be sad to see them go solely for those premium fight sticks.

MDeckerM
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1799
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: Peripherals maker Mad Catz files for bankruptcy 2017/03/31 14:25:14 (permalink)
    Sadly, they failed to evolve their brand.
    Dukman
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1478
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: Peripherals maker Mad Catz files for bankruptcy 2017/04/01 09:22:45 (permalink)
    ManBearPig
    Not all of their products were garbage.  I have one of their Tournament Edition Arcade Fight Sticks (MvC version) and it is the best peripheral I've bought for any console I've ever owned (all the way back to the Intellivision days).  The build quality is superb and the Marvel Vs. Capcom art is great.  But ya, most of their other products were usually substandard and lacking (stopped buying their controllers in the N64 days, used a buddies OG Xbox controller of theirs).  I will be sad to see them go solely for those premium fight sticks.

That was pretty much the only thing they did right.  Everything else was junk.  Decent concepts behind many, like the R.A.T.T. mouse and other controllers, but the execution was poor.

Heatware

chrisdglong
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7220
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: Peripherals maker Mad Catz files for bankruptcy 2017/04/03 21:57:46 (permalink)
    Their products were terrible. There was always a better quality option that I was willing to pay a few bucks more for. 
    MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14686
    • Ribbons : 38
    Re: Peripherals maker Mad Catz files for bankruptcy 2017/04/04 09:14:01 (permalink)
    I have no issues/complaints about my MadCatz xbox 360 controller for the PC.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile