AnsweredHot!Finally broke down and RMA'd my 4090 FE for Dolby Atmos issues

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
arestavo
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6796
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 77
Re: Finally broke down and RMA'd my 4090 FE 2024/09/27 19:11:26 (permalink)
BAH. It went robotic just now while watching a movie.

Seems that it's just a problem with the GPU itself and Dolby Atmos that my 30 series cards just don't have.
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
  • Total Posts : 18134
  • Ribbons : 58
Re: Finally broke down and RMA'd my 4090 FE 2024/09/27 19:23:57 (permalink)

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0 

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 30836
  • Ribbons : 123
Re: Finally broke down and RMA'd my 4090 FE 2024/09/28 03:40:04 (permalink)
Nvidia sound driver issue most likely

Have you tried? --->Clearing the display cache in windows 11 - it stores many profiles & the sound profiles attached to them. (retains all audio and display settings) (Clear and Reset Display Cache in Windows 11 Tutorial) Now try changing your sound to 16-bit or 24-bit 96000 or higher.

Try: disable "audio enhancement" in windows sound settings. Then in Nvidia control panel, in 3D settings changed Power management mode from "normal" to "prefer maximum performance"

have you looked at this? Solving Audio Dropouts / DPC Latency Issues With NVIDIA Drivers On Windows 

--> 4k120 + HDR + Atmos ? (known issues @ this resolution)

Resplendence Software - LatencyMon: suitability checker for real-time ...

LatencyMon: real-time audio suitability checker - Resplendence

Do the 4000 series card fix Dolby Atmos issues? : r/nvidia - Reddit

What is your actual setup?

using a TV as a monitor / sound - firmware up to date?

Are you using a receiver/ AVR for Atmos? (might help)

using Certified cables?

real time security software might also be an issue if it ties up the CPU --> What is Processor Affinity & how to set Processor Affinity on Windows 11

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

Older RIG projects RTX Project  Nibbler

When someone does not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place; you can't use reason to convince them otherwise!
arestavo
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Finally broke down and RMA'd my 4090 FE 2024/09/28 08:05:04 (permalink)
Oh yes, I've been over everything in your list, and much more, for over a year - except the cache clearing, which I'll try today.

My video card is used as an output direct to my Onkyo TX-RZ810 running the latest firmware. DP to HDMI adapter - a nice 8K one that replaced a passive 1080P one. The one HDMI port is direct to the TV. I've tried using the only HDMI port direct to the AVR, but I lose Gsync with the adapter (it doesn't function properly and the screen randomly blanks - I did contact their support to no avail).

I've got a new AVR on order that should be in next week, just to rule it out - a Denon X2800H. I'll even try using EARC on the TV, instead of a direct connection from the GPU. ARC didn't work going from.the GPU to the TV to the Onkyo, and I figured it was an ARC limitation.
arestavo
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Finally broke down and RMA'd my 4090 FE 2024/09/28 09:20:57 (permalink)
In the mean time, Soundkeeper has a brand new version out that I'm going to try with the -All argument to keep all audio, including HDMI, from going to sleep. I don't know if that's going to help, seeing as this happens whilst audio is currently playing... but at this point, I've gone well beyond the obscure with this issue.

Edit - no, it just went robotic on me while watching a video (and this was after applying that cache clear reg edit and a restart). Maybe the new AVR will fix this, but I doubt it.
post edited by arestavo - 2024/09/28 10:31:43
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Finally broke down and RMA'd my 4090 FE 2024/09/29 09:14:22 (permalink)
Soundkeeper was going to be my next suggestion

Your MB have dedicated audio?  maybe skip the Nvidia sound for a test

Sure hope the new AVR finally resolves the issues

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

When someone does not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place; you can't use reason to convince them otherwise!
arestavo
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Finally broke down and RMA'd my 4090 FE 2024/09/29 14:01:31 (permalink)
Cool GTX
Soundkeeper was going to be my next suggestion

Your MB have dedicated audio?  maybe skip the Nvidia sound for a test

Sure hope the new AVR finally resolves the issues

The motherboard should have audio... no idea how to make it work with HDMI on the AVR, and it wouldn't have Dolby Atmos. 5.1 works just fine from the 4090, it's what I was using before I started the RMA.

I did retry the -All argument with soundkeeper. I'd originally tried with just the HDMI/SPDIF argument, as well as default. Both of which didn't work. After (cough, properly) adding the -All argument, it may have fixed the drop out / robotic issue. My Samsung S90C doesn't even blank out when turning off the receiver, like it always used to - even with previous TVs, and the 3090s.

If this does work, it'll be amazing...and an outright shame for Nvidia that they allow a 4090's output audio to go to sleep WHILE AUDIO PLAYS!
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Finally broke down and RMA'd my 4090 FE 2024/09/29 21:07:52 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Cool GTX 2024/10/09 08:07:59
Does it only happen after the PC has gone to sleep?  If you do a true cold boot does the issue Not happen, unless PC goes into: sleep or hibernate, first? Here you go  use NVCleanstall to reinstall your Nvidia driver  (I've been using this software for a long time, love the ability to limit the Nvidia bloatware & telemetry) Under "Installation Tweaks" select the "Disable Nvidia HD Audio device sleep timer"TECHPOWERUP --->NVCleanstall
Our free software lets you customize the NVIDIA GeForce Driver package by removing components that you don't need (or want). This not only keeps things tidy, but also lowers disk usage and memory footprint.

Disable Nvidia HD Audio device sleep timer

(edit update image with Red arrow)

EDIT 4 Clarity ---> the previous screen shot was from techpowerup -- & did not show the Box (I'm talking about) checked .... I just wanted to Show Where to Find it -- replace photo with marked-up photo

post edited by Cool GTX - 2024/09/30 09:44:13

Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: Finally broke down and RMA'd my 4090 FE 2024/09/29 21:37:14 (permalink)

Ohhh that's interesting (disabling the NVidia sleep timer).

arestavo
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Finally broke down and RMA'd my 4090 FE 2024/09/29 22:41:26 (permalink)
Cool GTX
Does it only happen after the PC has gone to sleep?  If you do a true cold boot does the issue Not happen, unless PC goes into: sleep or hibernate, first? Here you go  use NVCleanstall to reinstall your Nvidia driver  (I've been using this software for a long time, love the ability to limit the Nvidia bloatware & telemetry) Under "Installation Tweaks" select the "Disable Nvidia HD Audio device sleep timer"TECHPOWERUP --->NVCleanstall
Our free software lets you customize the NVIDIA GeForce Driver package by removing components that you don't need (or want). This not only keeps things tidy, but also lowers disk usage and memory footprint.

Disable Nvidia HD Audio device sleep timer

I haven't used PC sleep or hibernate in... 10 years? I turn that stuff off.

What I mean is that I can be watching a video or youtube stream, and while that sound is playing - it will drop out or go robotic. It happens when just watching. It does happen more often when alt tabbing or swapping browser tabs, but even when not doing that it can drop out or go robotic.

So far today, using Soundkeeper with the All argument seems to be working... so far. Supposedly it injects a constant stream of zeros that keeps any audio sources from sleeping (but I'm no software engineer - that's just how I interpret it).

That Enable Message Signaled Interrupts may or may not be the same thing. I really don't know, but I'll give it a shot while not running Soundkeeper (assuming NVCleaninstall doesn't mess things up (or I manage to mess up the install somehow)).
post edited by arestavo - 2024/09/29 23:11:35
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: Finally broke down and RMA'd my 4090 FE 2024/09/29 22:53:17 (permalink)

I think it's not the PC sleep or hibernate, I never use that either. I think CoolGTX is talking about a specific NVidia audio sleep timer? I didn't even know it existed.

post edited by Nereus - 2024/09/29 22:54:56

ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 16567
  • Ribbons : 271
Re: Finally broke down and RMA'd my 4090 FE 2024/09/30 06:57:37 (permalink)
Why not use sleep or hibernate?  They are gifts from God.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Finally broke down and RMA'd my 4090 FE 2024/09/30 09:29:47 (permalink)
Nereus

I think it's not the PC sleep or hibernate, I never use that either. I think CoolGTX is talking about a specific NVidia audio sleep timer? I didn't even know it existed.

the screen shot I used was from techpowerup -- did not show the Audio Timer Box checked .... I just wanted to Show Where to Find it

Fixed it

post edited by Cool GTX - 2024/09/30 09:41:40

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Finally broke down and RMA'd my 4090 FE 2024/09/30 09:30:52 (permalink)
ty_ger07
Why not use sleep or hibernate?  They are gifts from God.

Known bug for 3 years with sound & Nvidia drivers .... many experience the bug only after sleep or hibernate

arestavo
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Finally broke down and RMA'd my 4090 FE 2024/09/30 13:06:42 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Cool GTX 2024/10/09 08:08:35
Cool GTX
Nereus

the screen shot I used was from techpowerup -- did not show the Audio Timer Box checked .... I just wanted to Show Where to Find it

Fixed it

Thanks for that. I redid the NVCleanInstall but ran into some issues with it failing the GPU driver install the second time (even when choosing the NVCleaninstall's Clean Installation option), requiring a DDU. I did get it installed with both Nvidia HD Audio device sleep timer disabled as well and enabling the Message Signaled Interrupts (the audio drops when selecting different browser tabs or alt tabbing sounded like this option may help with that as well).

Man, third party software devs fixing Nvidia's problems in 2024... yeah... (so far, so good - going to test this for a couple of days)

Edit - so far so good, but LatencyMon still shows a very high latency after letting it run for a while (this is with Soundkeeper not running).

post edited by arestavo - 2024/09/30 14:46:55
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Finally broke down and RMA'd my 4090 FE 2024/10/01 08:41:42 (permalink)
Which browser?

Test ---> turn Off Hardware acceleration for Browser

arestavo
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Finally broke down and RMA'd my 4090 FE 2024/10/01 10:29:18 (permalink)
Cool GTX
Which browser?

I've done that in the past to fix Nvidia driver issues. This time, it seems like both Soundkeeper and NVCleaninstall, with Nvidia HD Audio device sleep timer disabled as well and enabling the Message Signaled Interrupts, seems to fix Dolby Atmos going robotic or completely dropping out. I've gotten two, second long audio drop outs so far - but that was just when alt tabbing or swapping browser tabs. If that's the worst, then it's acceptable compared to needing to disable the receiver in windows sounds or power cycling the receiver to get Dolby Atmos working again.

If the audio goes robotic, or completely drops out - I'll try with hardware acceleration disabled in Brave. Until then, I'm happy with the results so far, and I appreciate your help.
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Finally broke down and RMA'd my 4090 FE 2024/10/01 10:41:30 (permalink)
arestavo
Cool GTX
Which browser?

I've done that in the past to fix Nvidia driver issues. This time, it seems like both Soundkeeper and NVCleaninstall, with Nvidia HD Audio device sleep timer disabled as well and enabling the Message Signaled Interrupts, seems to fix Dolby Atmos going robotic or completely dropping out. I've gotten two, second long audio drop outs so far - but that was just when alt tabbing or swapping browser tabs. If that's the worst, then it's acceptable compared to needing to disable the receiver in windows sounds or power cycling the receiver to get Dolby Atmos working again.

If the audio goes robotic, or completely drops out - I'll try with hardware acceleration disabled in Brave. Until then, I'm happy with the results so far, and I appreciate your help.

arestavo
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Finally broke down and RMA'd my 4090 FE 2024/10/05 11:54:05 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby Cool GTX 2024/10/09 08:04:10
Just a quick follow up:

I've found using Soundkeeper with the "all" argument to work better for me. Installing a new driver with NVCleaninstall after already completing it once requires me to first use DDU with the options that I use (Nvidia HD Audio device sleep timer disabled as well and enabling the Message Signaled Interrupts), and it also requires me to unplug my DP to HDMI adapter (for sound) to get video out to the TV to get safe mode set (due to DP now taking precedent over HDMI, it started with the 30 series IIRC). The NVCleaninstall method does work, it just takes that much more effort for me vs having a program run at startup.

Again, thanks to all that contributed. Hopefully if anyone has similar issues in the future (or now), they'll find that these two methods work for their Dolby Atmos problems.
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Finally broke down and RMA'd my 4090 FE 2024/10/09 08:07:26 (permalink)
Thanks for the update, I'm sure it can help others

I would like to suggest that you edit your first Post & include some = Tag your post: (bottom of screen)

That will help others find the solution, if / when they have a similar issue

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile