EVGA

FTW3 3080 TI no video, solid white VGA light on motherboard

Author
risingson
  • Total Posts : 30
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/06/03 14:14:09 (permalink)
Upgrade from XC3 3070, install and get no video output, solid white light on motherboard VGA indicator but RGB working on GPU. MB is Asus Strix X570-E, PSU is Seasonic 1000W Focus. Power connectors on card is 2 cables, 3- 8pin. Tried to reinstall to ensure it was seated and swapped the power connectors around, boot up and same thing.

Tried web search, saw some post on Reddit where user uninstalled and booted with no card and then reinstalled and it worked. Another user tried their tip and it also worked.... I'm too tired to do all this again so Ill try that later, but wanted to post here and see if anyone can explain why this happens and why that would work or what else it might be. Any other video card I ever installed just worked.

15 Replies Related Threads

shaneduce
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2017
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: FTW3 3080 TI no video, solid white VGA light on motherboard 2021/06/03 14:16:19 (permalink)
    Sigh, another broken EVGA card?
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30996
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: FTW3 3080 TI no video, solid white VGA light on motherboard 2021/06/03 14:22:29 (permalink)
    Congrats if you got your hands on a EVGA 3080Ti that fast .... where did you get one today ?

What kind of cable are you using ?  have a spare to test with ?  Try different ports on the GPU ?

Are you sure the cable is fully seated on the port & not hitting the case ... stopping the cable from being fully installed ?

Power cycle the monitor & check connector

Confirm all connections inside of PC

DDU the drives & which drivers are you using ... do they support the 3080Ti ?

Comprehensive Windows 10 Black Screen Trouble shooting Guide

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

risingson
    Re: FTW3 3080 TI no video, solid white VGA light on motherboard 2021/06/03 18:17:40 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    Congrats if you got your hands on a EVGA 3080Ti that fast .... where did you get one today ?

What kind of cable are you using ?  have a spare to test with ?  Try different ports on the GPU ?

Are you sure the cable is fully seated on the port & not hitting the case ... stopping the cable from being fully installed ?

I got it from Microcenter. I had it hooked up with the HDMI 2.1 cable that came with my monitor, which works fine with my 3070 and I have the 3070 back in for now with the same cable. And yes, the cable was fully plugged in both times I tried. I am about to try it again in a few minutes with the method I described above, booting with no card first and then try to install the card. If that doesn't work I will try display port.
    PC was built in April and I updated the BIOS then. Also drivers dont matter because I am not getting display even at the BIOS splash screen, though I am on Linux with most recent drivers and it is not required to mess with drivers going from one Nvidia card to another.
    emmett
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 513
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: FTW3 3080 TI no video, solid white VGA light on motherboard 2021/06/03 21:51:56 (permalink)
    Try unplugging monitor, wait a bit, plug back in. 

3 individual power connectors.

Currently using
    Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7

EVGA 2080 TI KingPin
    Intel 9900K
    GSkill 3200
    EVGA G2 1300 
    CraptacularOne
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14533
    • Ribbons : 222
    Re: FTW3 3080 TI no video, solid white VGA light on motherboard 2021/06/03 23:20:37 (permalink)
    https://youtu.be/CtLFQXzM6Yo

may be of some relevance here. der8auer had a similar issue that he was only able to solve by using a different monitor 

Intel i9 14900K ...............................Ryzen 9 7950X3D
    MSI RTX 4090 Gaming Trio................ASRock Phantom RX 7900 XTX
    Samsung Odyssey G9.......................PiMax 5K Super/Meta Quest 3
    ASUS ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming........ASUS TUF Gaming X670E Plus WiFi
    64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 6800Mhz.......64GB Kingston Fury RGB 6000Mhz
    MSI MPG A1000G 1000w..................EVGA G3 SuperNova 1000w
    demon09
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1334
    Re: FTW3 3080 TI no video, solid white VGA light on motherboard 2021/06/03 23:27:06 (permalink)
    risingson
    Cool GTX

I got it from Microcenter. I had it hooked up with the HDMI 2.1 cable that came with my monitor, which works fine with my 3070 and I have the 3070 back in for now with the same cable. And yes, the cable was fully plugged in both times I tried. I am about to try it again in a few minutes with the method I described above, booting with no card first and then try to install the card. If that doesn't work I will try display port.
    PC was built in April and I updated the BIOS then. Also drivers dont matter because I am not getting display even at the BIOS splash screen, though I am on Linux with most recent drivers and it is not required to mess with drivers going from one Nvidia card to another.

you would have to make sure your nvidia drivers support the new card as I know the new cards are LHR models and would need a new enough driver to work for the 3080ti similar to how 3070 could work on a 357.xx driver but a 3060 would need newer drivers then that. but I agree it should not stop an picture from the bios screen and even then if the driver was not working it should just use a basic display driver if the driver doesnt detect the 3080ti. the 3080ti needs 462.65 sd driver or 466.63 whql driver

risingson
    Re: FTW3 3080 TI no video, solid white VGA light on motherboard 2021/06/04 16:40:40 (permalink)
    demon09
    risingson
    Cool GTX

you would have to make sure your nvidia drivers support the new card as I know the new cards are LHR models and would need a new enough driver to work for the 3080ti similar to how 3070 could work on a 357.xx driver but a 3060 would need newer drivers then that. but I agree it should not stop an picture from the bios screen and even then if the driver was not working it should just use a basic display driver if the driver doesnt detect the 3080ti. the 3080ti needs 462.65 sd driver or 466.63 whql driver

The method of booting with no card and then shutdown and install the 3080 TI worked. Though I don't understand why it doesn't work without doing this or why this makes it work. But yea, after this I did need to install the latest Linux drivers. Card is working fine now.
    gsrcrxsi
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 985
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: FTW3 3080 TI no video, solid white VGA light on motherboard 2021/06/04 16:53:21 (permalink)
    demon09

He’s (was) not getting any video at POST. Drivers have nothing to do with this situation. No video output at all even before the OS loaded (which is where the drivers matter).

But even still, a card with drivers only a few versions old (his previous card was a 3070, same architecture), will more often than not still mostly work. Especially on Linux as the OP has indicated. On Linux usually the card works 100% normally it just doesn’t identify the card properly and says something generic like “NVIDIA Graphics Device”

Rig1: EPYC 7V12 | [4] RTX A4000
    Rig2: EPYC 7B12 | [5] 3080Ti + [2] 2080Ti
    Rig3: EPYC 7B12 | [6] 3070Ti + [2] 3060
    Rig4: [2] EPYC 7742 | RTX A2000
    Rig5: [2] EPYC 7642
    Rig6: EPYC 7551 | [4] Titan V

arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6916
    • Ribbons : 76
    Re: FTW3 3080 TI no video, solid white VGA light on motherboard 2021/06/05 08:42:37 (permalink)
    risingson
    demon09
    risingson
    Cool GTX

The method of booting with no card and then shutdown and install the 3080 TI worked. Though I don't understand why it doesn't work without doing this or why this makes it work. But yea, after this I did need to install the latest Linux drivers. Card is working fine now.

Motherboards save device info for later fast initialization/booting. Removing the device forces a flush of that device (which wasn't replaced with the new card's info). Then, reinstalling the device after the flush allows the new device info to be properly stored and retrieved.

At least that's my understanding.
    Xhassanyx
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 106
    Re: FTW3 3080 TI no video, solid white VGA light on motherboard 2021/06/05 08:45:08 (permalink)
    If you card broken reback to them fix it
    Lemonhead8890
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re: FTW3 3080 TI no video, solid white VGA light on motherboard 2021/06/23 23:57:39 (permalink)
    I am having this exact same problem and the card was working previously to it, randomly losing video signal during a game. I have tried literally everything I can think of and slapped two different cards in it and both boot fine... AMD and Nvidia. RMA a brand new ftw3 ultra after less then 4 hour run with it...
    TrekCZ
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 417
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: FTW3 3080 TI no video, solid white VGA light on motherboard 2021/06/24 06:02:00 (permalink)
    Have you stress tested video card and observed all temperatures? Are you running MSI Afterburner or other software when playing, sometimes I have had various issues with too many apps - nvidia vs rivatuner statistics vs ...
    I would recommend clean install drivers, retest card maybe in other computer, if problems persist = RMA.
    Lemonhead8890
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re: FTW3 3080 TI no video, solid white VGA light on motherboard 2021/06/24 09:18:33 (permalink)
    TrekCZ
    Have you stress tested video card and observed all temperatures? Are you running MSI Afterburner or other software when playing, sometimes I have had various issues with too many apps - nvidia vs rivatuner statistics vs ...
    I would recommend clean install drivers, retest card maybe in other computer, if problems persist = RMA.

I cant get the card to output signal anymore. Flagging on motherboard as VGA white led. I used the card for maybe 2 hours total before so I had barely even done anything with it yet. I tried many many things to see if I could get it to work and it straight refuses to send signal. I think the computer is even booting all the way through to windows because my mouse and keyboard trigger on the same way they would if it was running. 
    cevasco
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: FTW3 3080 TI no video, solid white VGA light on motherboard 2021/12/02 17:18:39 (permalink)
    interesting i'm running into a similar issue.  3080ftw3  was working fine and then all the sudden system would freeze and force a reboot.  Then all the sudden computer wont boot at all end the VGA led light stays on and bios never comes up.  After many power cycles it will finally boot and work for a while and same thing happens.  Pulled out the card and put it into another computer I have and it works fine for a little while and then same thing wont boot no bios no beep and VGA led light comes up.
    rjbarker
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3214
    • Ribbons : 21
    Re: FTW3 3080 TI no video, solid white VGA light on motherboard 2021/12/02 21:57:40 (permalink)
    Lemonhead8890
    TrekCZ

I cant get the card to output signal anymore. Flagging on motherboard as VGA white led. I used the card for maybe 2 hours total before so I had barely even done anything with it yet. I tried many many things to see if I could get it to work and it straight refuses to send signal. I think the computer is even booting all the way through to windows because my mouse and keyboard trigger on the same way they would if it was running. 

If you have fixed white LED (GPU Input) on your Mobo and it appears as though the PC boots properly with no display....do you have a fixed red led over top of any of the PCI-E power plugs on the Card itself?
    If so, double check the PCI-E power plug connectors at both the GPU and PSU......

Does your Mobo board have a post code indicator ? If so, is it indicating "AO" (fully booted and ok on an Asus Board)? Or is it hung up on post code "97" ?

If you have a fixed red LED at one of the PCI-E power plugs on the GPU and you can confirm all plugs are firmly seated on both GPU and psu, contact Evga Support.

I9 12900K EK Velocity2 / ROG Z690 Apex/ 32G Dominator DDR5 6000/ Evga RTX 3080Ti FTW3  EK Vector / 980 Pro 512G / 980 Pro 1TB/ Samsung 860 Pro 500G/ WD 4TB Red / AX 1600i /  Corsair 900D & XSPC 480 * 360 * 240 Rads   XSPC Photon 170 Rez-Vario Pump Combo - Alienware 3440*1440p 120Hz/ W11

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile