EVGA

Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney Claims Free Game Giveaways Increase Sales On Other Platforms

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102322
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2020/06/04 03:37:06 (permalink)
https://www.kitguru.net/gaming/joao-silva/tim-sweeney-says-offering-games-for-free-can-help-increase-their-sales-on-other-platforms/

In a recent interview with GameSpot, Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney claimed that the free game giveaways run on the Epic Games Store such as Sid Meier's Civilization VI and Grand Theft Auto V can lead to increased sales of the games on other platforms. Tim Sweeney believes that because many of the games given away may not have been considered by most players leading to increased sales on alternate platforms according to some developers.

Tim Sweeney said, "You're not going to go out and buy—If you're not into games like Satisfactory, you're not going to go out and spend money to buy Satisfactory. But if you get it for free you realize it's an awesome game. People have discovered a lot of great games that way."

I can totally agree with this statement by Tim Sweeney. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

5 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31005
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney Claims Free Game Giveaways Increase Sales On Other Platform 2020/06/04 12:14:54 (permalink)
    short version --> giveaways are a Marking ploy to expand the customer base, build excitement & future sales

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

kougar
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3034
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney Claims Free Game Giveaways Increase Sales On Other Platform 2020/06/05 17:23:44 (permalink)
    That's a very fine line for Tim Sweeney to be promoting.... he's basically admitting that people are directly or indirectly playing the freebies on the EPIC store, then going to other platforms like steam and buying them there. Just think about that for a minute... 

Have water, will cool. 
    Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney Claims Free Game Giveaways Increase Sales On Other Platform 2020/06/05 23:27:58 (permalink)
    kougar
    That's a very fine line for Tim Sweeney to be promoting.... he's basically admitting that people are directly or indirectly playing the freebies on the EPIC store, then going to other platforms like steam and buying them there. Just think about that for a minute... 

Yep, it is a bit odd take to release. It's like people will buy it just not to have to deal with Epic Store. For the most part that's how it's worked for me though. I treat Epic Store as a demo, then go get it someplace else where I'll use it.
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10103
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney Claims Free Game Giveaways Increase Sales On Other Platform 2020/06/06 02:34:37 (permalink)
    I agree fully with the statement but I don't think that it's really the people who got the game on Epic who are going and buying it on another platform. It's simply because if someone I know tells me I should play a game that they are into I probably will check it out. My friends know me and they know when they recommend a game if it's something they feel would be fun to me.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

kougar
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3034
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney Claims Free Game Giveaways Increase Sales On Other Platform 2020/06/06 12:16:32 (permalink)
    Aye, there's some of that. But what Tim is saying is that even after having given away the game, person A gets it for free, their friends go and buy it elsewhere. The majority not from the Epic store. That's a really bad sign, even if Tim is focusing on the positive.

Have water, will cool. 
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile