EVGA

EVGA GeForce GTX 10 Series Cards with iCX Technology!

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 19
Author
hockeythug34
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 10 Series Cards with iCX Technology! 2017/02/11 14:11:58 (permalink)
nrpeyton
DarkTech
i think this is absurd and a slap in the face to release a "safer" product after selling what i suppose is classified as unsafe and then to charge customers more. now pretty much all current acx 3 owners either give evga more money or suffer from crap resale value. i definitely wont be surprised if this company crashes like BFG did i have lost total faith in such a company after such scummy tactics to give a big middle finger to its customers. its ok tho nothing wrong with the beta 10 series of these cards after all they are labeled safe too right oh wait no there not. it should be a damn free rma exchange for these "unsafe cards" instead evgas gotta make more money off their screw ups in design as its the customers fault for trusting such a company.

my damn 1080 ftw cards a month old. and i got 4 year ipr on it. over $1000 candian investment to be slapped in the face yet again for there flawed cooler design and very terrible slogans.

It was never classified as unsafe. NEVER.

The cards were always still marginally within SPEC.

*snip*

So safe they added a protective fuse to the new version. Haha. 
gpitts
  • Total Posts : 13
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 10 Series Cards with iCX Technology! 2017/02/11 14:19:19 (permalink)
hockeythug34
nrpeyton
DarkTech
i think this is absurd and a slap in the face to release a "safer" product after selling what i suppose is classified as unsafe and then to charge customers more. now pretty much all current acx 3 owners either give evga more money or suffer from crap resale value. i definitely wont be surprised if this company crashes like BFG did i have lost total faith in such a company after such scummy tactics to give a big middle finger to its customers. its ok tho nothing wrong with the beta 10 series of these cards after all they are labeled safe too right oh wait no there not. it should be a damn free rma exchange for these "unsafe cards" instead evgas gotta make more money off their screw ups in design as its the customers fault for trusting such a company.

my damn 1080 ftw cards a month old. and i got 4 year ipr on it. over $1000 candian investment to be slapped in the face yet again for there flawed cooler design and very terrible slogans.

*snip*

Designs are updated over the life of a product. Do you know why the fuse was added? No, you do not. To imply that adding a fuse means that the previous design was unsafe is defamatory and without basis.
hockeythug34
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 10 Series Cards with iCX Technology! 2017/02/11 14:22:22 (permalink)
I really hope someone is putting together a class action over this.
gpitts
hockeythug34
nrpeyton
DarkTech

*snip*

Designs are updated over the life of a product. Do you know why the fuse was added? No, you do not. To imply that adding a fuse means that the previous design was unsafe is defamatory and without basis.

I certainly do not have "peace of mind" when gaming without it.

I really hope someone is putting together a class action about this.
LFaWolf
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1794
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 10 Series Cards with iCX Technology! 2017/02/11 14:25:14 (permalink)
DarkTech

The ICX was already in the news during CES more than a month ago. Need to do better research before plunging down that much money. Caveat emptor.

shadowboricua
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 487
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 10 Series Cards with iCX Technology! 2017/02/11 14:27:53 (permalink)
It says to sign up before 2/28 for the upgrade... question is, I have a 1080 Classified, is the ICX version coming before 2/28? Do I not get to enjoy the benefit of upgrading if there is no Classified before 2/28?

gpitts
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 10 Series Cards with iCX Technology! 2017/02/11 14:35:28 (permalink)
hockeythug34
I really hope someone is putting together a class action over this.
gpitts
hockeythug34
nrpeyton
DarkTech

*snip*

I certainly do not have "peace of mind" when gaming without it.

I really hope someone is putting together a class action about this.

By your reasoning, you will only have "peace of mind" if the design is perfect, and no design is ever perfect.

As for the class action lawsuit threat, what is your harm? The answer is that you have not been harmed. Your GTX 1080 product operates within specification. There is no rational basis for a class action lawsuit.
LFaWolf
FTW Member
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 10 Series Cards with iCX Technology! 2017/02/11 14:44:29 (permalink)
Warranty and Step up questions -
1. I read that EVGA will provide "full" warranty of the new ICX cards. Does that mean the 3-year warranty starts on the shipped/billed date of the ICX cards (reset), and not my ACX cards? Can I purchase extended warranty just like a new cards?
2. Also, if the GTX 1080 ti comes out within 90-days of the ICX shipped date (I feel it might due to AMD new cards), am I eligible for a Step up? From what I read I, it is. 
"EVGA iCX cards received through the iCX Upgrade program are eligible for the EVGA Step-Up program for 90-days from the date the iCX Upgrade product is shipped to you. For EVGA Step-Up purposes, the value of the iCX Upgrade will be based on the MSRP value of the respective iCX graphics card listed on EVGA.com"

Methodical M
  • Total Posts : 46
Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 10 Series Cards with iCX Technology! 2017/02/11 14:54:25 (permalink)
LFaWolf
DarkTech

The ICX was already in the news during CES more than a month ago. Need to do better research before plunging down that much money. Caveat emptor.

caveat emptor
ˌkavɪat ˈɛmptɔː/
noun

• the principle that the buyer alone is responsible for checking the quality and suitability of goods before a purchase is made.

This applies to all those people with their burned cards?

• gpitts
    Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 10 Series Cards with iCX Technology! 2017/02/11 15:01:03 (permalink)
    Methodical M
    LFaWolf
    DarkTech

caveat emptor
    ˌkavɪat ˈɛmptɔː/
    noun

• the principle that the buyer alone is responsible for checking the quality and suitability of goods before a purchase is made.

Of course not. That is why manufacturers have a warranty. If their product deviates from specification, the buyer has a recourse. I suspect those people with damaged cards received brand new cards as a result of the thermal marginality issue.

However, his point was that iCX has been known about for over a month now, so lack of research on the part of the buyer does not make this EVGA's fault.
    post edited by gpitts - 2017/02/11 15:03:19
    LFaWolf
    FTW Member
    Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 10 Series Cards with iCX Technology! 2017/02/11 15:05:37 (permalink)
    Methodical M
    LFaWolf
    DarkTech

caveat emptor
    ˌkavɪat ˈɛmptɔː/
    noun

No, it does not. I responded to the thread complaining of the FTW purchase a month ago. He/she should have known about EVGA 1080 FTW cards issues but still bought one. Complaining now makes no sense. 

Methodical M
    Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 10 Series Cards with iCX Technology! 2017/02/11 15:33:00 (permalink)
    That's ok but what is with all of us who bought 1080 FTW's basically week after launch? DIY thermal pad solution? 100€ more for a new card solution? Or we can be at peace with our cards because because those cases are totally isolated ones? 

btw I have latest vBIOS on mine but thermal pads are not installed.
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 10 Series Cards with iCX Technology! 2017/02/11 15:34:09 (permalink)
    One thing folks need to keep in mind, we all have our own opinions. If someone is upset that evga did exactly what the end users have been asking for over the years, then let them air their greivance as long as tbey stay in the terms of service.

One thing no one seems to care about is the shrpud mounting system. Evga finally added more attachment points to the new card, allowing the card to be more stable over all, and reduce the chance of card sag over time.

Currently, evga is offering more than any other company, and no other company would allow this upgrade to happen the way it is. They would expect you to take the loss and not get any assistance with the upgrade. I appreciate evga's effort at least.

Methodical M
    That's ok but what is with all of us who bought 1080 FTW's basically week after launch? DIY thermal pad solution? 100€ more for a new card solution? Or we can be at peace with our cards because because those cases are totally isolated ones? 

btw I have latest vBIOS on mine but thermal pads are not installed.

At least you will have a brand new warranty if you do the upgrade. What other company resets your warranty when you upgrade through their programs?
    post edited by Scarlet-Tech - 2017/02/11 15:36:15
    Methodical M
    Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 10 Series Cards with iCX Technology! 2017/02/11 15:41:43 (permalink)
    Yes you're right on that one.
    gpitts
    Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 10 Series Cards with iCX Technology! 2017/02/11 16:35:39 (permalink)
    Scarlet-Tech
    One thing folks need to keep in mind, we all have our own opinions. If someone is upset that evga did exactly what the end users have been asking for over the years, then let them air their greivance as long as tbey stay in the terms of service.

I agree with you, but I'd prefer grievances to be thought-through before they are posted. Some on this thread are not, and serve no constructive purpose. For example, threats of a class action lawsuit and claims of an unsafe product are juvenile and need to be countered with a little reason IMO.

Just my $0.02. :)
    M3DAR1000
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 10 Series Cards with iCX Technology! 2017/02/11 16:59:43 (permalink)
    Thanks for letting be pay 500 bucks to be a beta tester EVGA! 
    Asgar_55
    • Total Posts : 30
    Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 10 Series Cards with iCX Technology! 2017/02/11 17:30:26 (permalink)
    I not sure about a hypothetical change to ICX... I change my 1070 FTW two times, first for the thermal pads and coil wine, and after (just received) for the incredible shiny letter "E" in the EVGA logo. Now, my FTW is very quiet and cold and although have Micron memory (the first had Samsung) and the letter "E" still shine a little more than the rest, I'm happy with her.

I only worried about the even greater depreciation they will have for this the ACX 3.0 family. The ICX looks like the most advanced air cooling system that exist but... It will be a good idea the upgrade?
    looniam
    • Total Posts : 90
    Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 10 Series Cards with iCX Technology! 2017/02/11 17:33:58 (permalink)
    AFA the water blocks, no they won't fit since a fan header was moved to accommodate the temp LED on the shroud:

FTW ACX 3.0 PCB (courtesy of THG)

FTW2 ICX (courtesy THG) led for temps on the end (6 pin)sorry didn't mark it.

that puts it right here (courtesy of EKWB):

those stand offs and milling on the heatsink are much less than on the acrylic.

i7-3770K/Z77-V Pro/980TI SC+/16Gb @1866/EVGA supernova 750 G2/custom loop
    hockeythug34
    Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 10 Series Cards with iCX Technology! 2017/02/11 17:59:15 (permalink)
    Haha. And the water blocks won't even fit the new one. Classic.
    bunnyassassin
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 10 Series Cards with iCX Technology! 2017/02/11 18:42:01 (permalink)
    Is 1080 Classified getting ICX upgrade?   I only see FTW and SC so far.....
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 10 Series Cards with iCX Technology! 2017/02/11 19:07:04 (permalink)
    bunnyassassin
    Is 1080 Classified getting ICX upgrade?   I only see FTW and SC so far.....

It says stay tuned, so... stay tuned.
    XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 10 Series Cards with iCX Technology! 2017/02/11 19:18:25 (permalink)

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    MaHawkma
    • Total Posts : 17
    Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 10 Series Cards with iCX Technology! 2017/02/11 21:48:05 (permalink)
    gpitts
    I am in no way affiliated with EVGA. I worked at Intel for 28 years, retiring as a Director of Technical Marketing. I've seen a lot of technology over the years, and it is a fast-paced business. If we do not accept that, we are not being realistic. With that...

The original GTX 1080 product portfolio met specifications in the assumed environmental use cases. EVGA stood behind their cards and their customers when a slight thermal marginality was uncovered when operating at high ambient temperatures by offering customers the opportunity to send their cards in for thermal interface material rework or the option of a do it yourself kit. This situation was handled as well as it could have been.

iCX represents a new technology that you have the option to purchase. No one is making you buy it. And if you do not buy it, your card still performs just like it does today. No one has been harmed by EVGA making this technology available. No one has to buy it. It's an optional purchase.

How about we take a deep breath and continue enjoying our GTX 1080s?

Rationality will get you nowhere on the internet. :)

gpitts
    Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 10 Series Cards with iCX Technology! 2017/02/11 23:57:31 (permalink)
    MaHawkma
    Rationality will get you nowhere on the internet. :)

Indeed!
    ramma
    Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 10 Series Cards with iCX Technology! 2017/02/12 01:49:31 (permalink)
    Is there any reason to think the iCX changes may reduce the chance of whine since they've been designed with the thermal issue and trial fix in mind? Also, is the asynchronous fan feature handled purely on the GPU or is it reliant on the XOC software?

I've now had 3 post-thermal updates 1070 SC's with whine that makes them unusable because it triggers migraines within a few minutes. Such a shame considering the original pre-thermal update card had no whine whatsoever.

Everything considered (original price, ERA, extended warranty, and upgrade) I'm looking at a total of over $600 to maybe have a usable $400 card. Pretty sad. It'd be great if part of the upgrade cost went to increasing the step-up MSRP, especially considering the price difference is only $10 (excluding the current ACX discount).
    post edited by ramma - 2017/02/12 01:55:28
    bitxan
    • Total Posts : 67
    Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 10 Series Cards with iCX Technology! 2017/02/12 03:34:31 (permalink)

Why does this error occur when updating to ICX 1080 classified?

d.burnette
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5496
    • Ribbons : 17
    Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 10 Series Cards with iCX Technology! 2017/02/12 04:55:06 (permalink)
    bdary
    I'm hoping the new ICX design and sensors will be what's used in the next gen cards (1180's).  Looks like a nice improvement to cooling and temp monitoring...  Until then, I'm quite happy with my current 1080.

Same here, I have my 1080 FTW boosting to 2100 MHz, and settles in at 2050 MHz runs solid, going to just stick with it.

Don 

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.2 GHz all cores | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | EVGA T2 Titanium 1000w Power Supply | Samsung 970 Pro 1TB m.2 Nvme | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme | Samsung 860 Evo 1TB SATA SSD | EVGA DG 87 Case |

DSP1
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 216
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 10 Series Cards with iCX Technology! 2017/02/12 05:10:14 (permalink)
    ramma
    Is there any reason to think the iCX changes may reduce the chance of whine since they've been designed with the thermal issue and trial fix in mind? Also, is the asynchronous fan feature handled purely on the GPU or is it reliant on the XOC software?

I've now had 3 post-thermal updates 1070 SC's with whine that makes them unusable because it triggers migraines within a few minutes. Such a shame considering the original pre-thermal update card had no whine whatsoever.

Everything considered (original price, ERA, extended warranty, and upgrade) I'm looking at a total of over $600 to maybe have a usable $400 card. Pretty sad. It'd be great if part of the upgrade cost went to increasing the step-up MSRP, especially considering the price difference is only $10 (excluding the current ACX discount).

Read this article on page 2 they talk about the fans and how they are controlled. Apparently there is an issue whereby the 'right' fan is controlled by the temps of the Memory chips situated under the left fan which might be by design, but is in their words "illogical".

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-gtx-1080-ftw2-icx-cooler,4925.html

If it is by design it would validate Steve at Gamers Nexus point that EVGA was going for moderate Temps and Moderate Noise at stock. Because if the right side fan were controlled by the Temps of the hotspot on the VRM bank and Memory chips right next to it the 'right' fan would be 100% all the time. The 'left' is controlled by the Temps on the GPU. Of course one can always set a custom fan curve but as most people won't know how to do that and or start to complain about the noise it is a no win situation.

ramma
    Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 10 Series Cards with iCX Technology! 2017/02/12 05:37:53 (permalink)
    DSP1 Apparently there is an issue whereby the 'right' fan is controlled by the temps of the Memory chips situated under the left fan which might be by design, but is in their words "illogical".

Isn't part of it also that there's changes to the fins for moving air more specifically? So the right fan has some air pushed towards where those sensors are and pushed over the new little heat spike things. That's at least what I was getting from the super long gamersnexus video about it, and the temp data supports it with lower temps everywhere except the GPU
    DSP1
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 216
    Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 10 Series Cards with iCX Technology! 2017/02/12 05:53:05 (permalink)
    ramma
    DSP1 Apparently there is an issue whereby the 'right' fan is controlled by the temps of the Memory chips situated under the left fan which might be by design, but is in their words "illogical".

Isn't part of it also that there's changes to the fins for moving air more specifically? So the right fan has some air pushed towards where those sensors are and pushed over the new little heat spike things. That's at least what I was getting from the super long gamersnexus video about it, and the temp data supports it with lower temps everywhere except the GPU

I only just gave the GN article a quick read and didn't watch the video yet. Will do that today. There are a lot of little things that changed on the card that are all contributing I think for example the vents in the IO plate. Will come back later if I have anything to add. But from what I can discern at this point the overall cooling of the card is better and could be a lot better with a more aggressive fan setting, which was the case with FTW 1, but that is up to the individual user and as the majority seem to have special snowflake ears I expect a lot of whining about how loud the card is now to keep it cooler, which EVGA was trying to avoid. An unreasonable expectation of course.

snowyy
    • Total Posts : 70
    Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 10 Series Cards with iCX Technology! 2017/02/12 06:48:32 (permalink)
    So when will europe be added?? bcus all i see is "Your country is not allowed to submit an iCX Upgrade request on this site."

CPU: AMD R7 1700X 3.8GHZ
    GPU: EVGA 1080 TI FE 11GB (HYBRID KIT)
    RAM: G.SKILL 16GB TRIDENT Z DDR4 3200MHZ CL14
    MOBO: ASROCK FATAL1TY X370 GAMING-ITX/AC
    CASE: NZXT H200I WHITE
    SSD#1: SAMSUNG 850 EVO 500GB
    SSD#2: SAMSUNG 850 EVO 500GB
    PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA G3 650WATT
    CPU COOLER: EVGA CLC 280
    FANS#1: CORSAIR ML120MM PRO x2
    FANS#2: CORSAIR ML140MM PRO x2
    Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 19