EVGA

EVGA GTX 970. Dragon Age Inquisition Black Screen Flickering when in combat. Please help.

Author
theograd
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/11/30 04:54:05 (permalink)
I am experiencing extreme black flickering in Dragon Age Inquisition.

My PC specs are below:

* EVGA GeForce GTX 970 04G-P4-2978-KR 4GB FTW GAMING w/ACX 2.0 Video Card
* Intel i7 4790k
* 16 GB RAM
* Motherboard: MSI Z98 Gaming 7
* Installed onto SSD - EVO 850 Pro
* 850W Corsair Platinum Modular PSU
* Driver version: 359.00 (latest as of 11/30/2015)
* Windows 10 64-bit pro

Dragon Age Inquisition Game Graphic Settings:

* Resolution: 1080p
* Resolution Scale: 100
* Ambient Occlusion: HBAO
* Display mode: Full-screen
* Effects Quality: High
* Graphic Quality: Custom
* Multisample Anti-Aliasing: Off
* Post-process Anti-Aliasing: High
* Post-process Quality: Ultra
* Shader Quality: High
* Shadow Quality: Ultra
* Terrain Quality: Ultra
* Tessellation Quality: Ultra
* Texture Quality: High
* Vegetation Quality: Ultra
* Water Quality: Ultra
* NVIDIA Multi-Frame Sampled Anti-Aliasing: Off
* V-Sync: On

Dragon Age Inquisition NVIDIA Control Panel Settings:

* Ambient Occlusion: Not supported
* Anisotropic filtering: Use Global (Application controlled)
* Antialiasing - FXAA: Use global (Off)
* Antialiasing - Gamma Correction: Use global (On)
* Antialiasing - Mode: Use global (Application controlled)
* Antialiasing - Setting: Greyed out
* Antialiasing - Transparency: Use global (Off)
* Cuda - GPUs: Use global (All)
* Maximum pre-rendered frames: Use global (Use the 3D application setting)
* Multi-Frame Sampled AA (MFAA): Use global (Off)
* Multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration: Use global (Multiple display performance mode)
* Power management mode: Use global (Adaptive)
* Shader Cache: Use global (On)
* Texture filtering - Anisotropic sample optimization: Use global (Off)
* Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias: Use global (Allow)
* Texture filtering - Quality: Use global (Quality)
* Texture filtering - Trilinear optimization: Use global (On)
* Threaded optimization: Use global (Auto)
* Triple buffering: Use global (Off)
* Vertical sync: Use global (Use the 3D application setting)
* Virtual Reality pre-rendered frames: Use global (1)

Only happens during combat, too.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

What I've tried thus far: (and has not worked)

* Reverting back to NVIDIA driver versions 355.60, 355.82, 355.98, and using the latest 359.00; drivers had no effect. 
* Ensuring that MSAA is off (it was)
* Turning down various settings individually (Texture, Vegetation, Tessellation, Post-Process AA)
* Monitored temperature of GPU & CPU. All seemed to be fine.
* Repair game files via Origin. Didn't fix anything, either.
post edited by theograd - 2015/11/30 05:14:38

10 Replies Related Threads

Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 13061
    • Ribbons : 34
    Re: EVGA GTX 970. Dragon Age Inquisition Black Screen Flickering when in combat. Please he 2015/11/30 05:06:11 (permalink)
    Here is a possible fix...

theograd
    Re: EVGA GTX 970. Dragon Age Inquisition Black Screen Flickering when in combat. Please he 2015/11/30 05:13:09 (permalink)
    Zuhl3156
    Here is a possible fix...

Thanks for your effort, that is not what I'm experiencing and I listed that I already have that option turned off. For that person, the lights in his game were flickering. My actual game flickers black for a split second. Very odd. Have not had any other game do this, and I play a loooot of games. 

Again, thank you for your time & effort. I appreciate it greatly. However, that is not a solution that will work for my problem. :)
    Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: EVGA GTX 970. Dragon Age Inquisition Black Screen Flickering when in combat. Please he 2015/11/30 05:22:06 (permalink)
    I personally don't play the game but I did see one suggestion about running the game in 'Windowed' Mode to fix flickering. I run all of my games in Full Screen without issue and prefer it that way but you may decide to give it a shot anyway.
    NordicJedi
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 12570
    • Ribbons : 77
    Re: EVGA GTX 970. Dragon Age Inquisition Black Screen Flickering when in combat. Please he 2015/11/30 05:54:47 (permalink)
    Are you playing any other games?  If so, are you seeing the same black flickering in those?  If you are not playing other games, try running a benchmark, such as 3D Mark (Firestrike), Heaven Benchmark, or Valley Benchmark and report back if you see the flickering.  

When you're playing DA:I, do you notice whether performance seems to be an issue when you're getting the flickering?  For example, does it seem to play as well with the flickering, or does the game slow down, crash, etc. when the flickering occurs?

You say the temps are fine, but please report what they actually are.

6012mhz on L/N2 
    5321mhz on L/N2
    5091mhz on air
    The Lightsaber
    The Emperor Reborn
    Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: EVGA GTX 970. Dragon Age Inquisition Black Screen Flickering when in combat. Please he 2015/11/30 06:02:03 (permalink)
    Try changing the Power Management Mode for the game to 'Prefer maximum performance' too. I notice in your settings you have it set to 'Adaptive'.
    theograd
    Re: EVGA GTX 970. Dragon Age Inquisition Black Screen Flickering when in combat. Please he 2015/11/30 06:25:59 (permalink)
    NordicJedi
    Are you playing any other games?  If so, are you seeing the same black flickering in those?  If you are not playing other games, try running a benchmark, such as 3D Mark (Firestrike), Heaven Benchmark, or Valley Benchmark and report back if you see the flickering.  

When you're playing DA:I, do you notice whether performance seems to be an issue when you're getting the flickering?  For example, does it seem to play as well with the flickering, or does the game slow down, crash, etc. when the flickering occurs?

You say the temps are fine, but please report what they actually are.

I've been playing Metro 2033 Redux, Metro Last Light Redux, Hellgate London, Bound by Flame, and Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City. None of them have had any problems at all. 

When I'm playing DAI, the game stays at a constant 60fps (aside from the forced 30fps cutscenes; dumb decision imo, but that's neither here nor there). When the flickering occurs, I'm always in combat. Everything else runs just fine. No slow downs when the flickering occurs, no fps drops, nothing. Just really, really, annoying black flickering. 

The temps are 30c-60c tops. 30c in the beginning of play and up to 60c under heavy load. 
    theograd
    Re: EVGA GTX 970. Dragon Age Inquisition Black Screen Flickering when in combat. Please he 2015/11/30 06:27:09 (permalink)
    Zuhl3156
    Try changing the Power Management Mode for the game to 'Prefer maximum performance' too. I notice in your settings you have it set to 'Adaptive'.

I just now tried this and did not notice a difference. Game stayed at a steady 60fps as it always does and then I encountered the flickering. Unfortunate.
    Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: EVGA GTX 970. Dragon Age Inquisition Black Screen Flickering when in combat. Please he 2015/11/30 06:31:25 (permalink)
    Try turning V-sync off in the game and try using 'Adaptive V-sync' in the nVidia Control Panel if you insist on limiting your FPS.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49170
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: EVGA GTX 970. Dragon Age Inquisition Black Screen Flickering when in combat. Please he 2015/11/30 12:42:50 (permalink)
    Set v-sync to off inside the game/nvidia control panel. Also give driver 347.88 a try if disabling v-sync doesn't help.
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: EVGA GTX 970. Dragon Age Inquisition Black Screen Flickering when in combat. Please he 2015/11/30 13:59:48 (permalink)
    If you have a second cable.. HDMI, DVI or Display Port, could you try connecting to another Monitor, TV, or try changing the cable out to see if maybe that is the issue?
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile