EVGA

EVGA B-Stock is overrun with bots

Author
mnewxcv
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/11/04 16:42:28 (permalink)
Unfortunately the time has come and the bots have caught up to evga b stock. Pretty much all the discords I follow for best buy drop info have confirmed that people bought a ton of cards tonight with auto-checkout bots. Please EVGA, do a captcha or something for bot mitigation so people have a shot at getting cards again. (I've been lucky to get psus, AIOs, capture cards, and graphics cards from b stock and am a happy evga customer, but for everyone else that hasn't gotten a card yet, please do some provisions to challenge bot purchases). This seemed like the appropriate place for a discussion on this topic, and I don't think it is against the rules to discuss it, please inform me if it is. 

9 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30975
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: EVGA B-Stock is overrun with bots 2021/11/04 16:54:56 (permalink)
    your thread is OK in General Discussion

I did not even know there was any B-stock GPUs available today

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Leg3ndary1336
    • Total Posts : 18
    Re: EVGA B-Stock is overrun with bots 2021/11/04 17:06:32 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    your thread is OK in General Discussion

I did not even know there was any B-stock GPUs available today

That's because unless you refresh the page at the right moment, the website crashes and then they are gone.
    Just after 7pm est today.
    The random times and days aren't helpful either for us humans that have jobs, we can't refresh the page 8 hours a day for 3 days out of the week.

I clicked add to cart on one and it said "we've detected suspicious behavior from your computer, try again in another browser". I had to clear my cache and you know that thing was gone by then.
    post edited by Leg3ndary1336 - 2021/11/04 17:11:22
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: EVGA B-Stock is overrun with bots 2021/11/04 18:11:22 (permalink)
    mnewxcv
    Please EVGA, do a captcha or something for bot mitigation so people have a shot at getting cards again.

EVGA does.  EVGA uses reCAPTCHA.  

It's an automated AI-driven process which determines a statistical confidence regarding whether you are a human or bot based on user interaction.  It doesn't present a code.  It doesn't present a picture to solve.  Google just observes you and makes a judgement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReCAPTCHA
    No CAPTCHA reCAPTCHA (v2+)
    In 2013, reCAPTCHA began implementing behavioral analysis of the browser's interactions to predict whether the user was a human or a bot. The following year, Google began to deploy a new reCAPTCHA API, featuring the "no CAPTCHA reCAPTCHA" — where users deemed to be of low risk only need to click a single checkbox to verify their identity. A CAPTCHA may still be presented if the system is uncertain of the user's risk; Google also introduced a new type of CAPTCHA challenge designed to be more accessible to mobile users, where the user must select images matching a specific prompt from a grid.
    In 2017, Google introduced a new "invisible" reCAPTCHA, where verification occurs in the background, and no challenges are displayed at all if the user is deemed to be of low risk. According to former Google "click fraud czar" Shuman Ghosemajumder, this capability "creates a new sort of challenge that very advanced bots can still get around, but introduces a lot less friction to the legitimate human."
    reCAPTCHA v1 was declared end-of-life and shut down on March 31, 2018.

Do you have any actual evidence that B-stock is overrun with bots?  Or is this just an accusation?  Do you know if or how much B-stock there has been?  If you claim that the lack of B-stock appearing is due to bots, how can you be sure that there is no other reason that B-stock is not being advertised?  You can't make an accusation due to lack of occurrence.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2021/11/04 18:31:41

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

mnewxcv
    Re: EVGA B-Stock is overrun with bots 2021/11/04 18:48:25 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    mnewxcv
    Please EVGA, do a captcha or something for bot mitigation so people have a shot at getting cards again.

EVGA does.  EVGA uses reCAPTCHA.  

It's an automated AI-driven process which determines a statistical confidence regarding whether you are a human or bot based on user interaction.  It doesn't present a code.  It doesn't present a picture to solve.  Google just observes you and makes a judgement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReCAPTCHA
    No CAPTCHA reCAPTCHA (v2+)
    In 2013, reCAPTCHA began implementing behavioral analysis of the browser's interactions to predict whether the user was a human or a bot. The following year, Google began to deploy a new reCAPTCHA API, featuring the "no CAPTCHA reCAPTCHA" — where users deemed to be of low risk only need to click a single checkbox to verify their identity. A CAPTCHA may still be presented if the system is uncertain of the user's risk; Google also introduced a new type of CAPTCHA challenge designed to be more accessible to mobile users, where the user must select images matching a specific prompt from a grid.
    In 2017, Google introduced a new "invisible" reCAPTCHA, where verification occurs in the background, and no challenges are displayed at all if the user is deemed to be of low risk. According to former Google "click fraud czar" Shuman Ghosemajumder, this capability "creates a new sort of challenge that very advanced bots can still get around, but introduces a lot less friction to the legitimate human."
    reCAPTCHA v1 was declared end-of-life and shut down on March 31, 2018.

Do you have any actual evidence that B-stock is overrun with bots?  Or is this just an accusation?  Do you know if or how much B-stock there has been?  If you claim that the lack of B-stock appearing is due to bots, how can you be sure that there is no other reason that B-stock is not being advertised?  You can't make an accusation due to lack of occurrence.

"Pretty much all the discords I follow for best buy drop info have confirmed that people bought a ton of cards tonight with auto-checkout bots"
    I said this in the OP. I have first hand contact with multiple people who used automatic checkout bots tonight and got multiple cards.

edit: Also I have never encountered a captcha during checkout at evga.
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: EVGA B-Stock is overrun with bots 2021/11/04 19:00:03 (permalink)
    mnewxcv
    "Pretty much all the discords I follow for best buy drop info have confirmed that people bought a ton of cards tonight with auto-checkout bots"

To be honest, I simply don't believe you.  Or them.  I don't believe anyone who makes claims without evidence.  Words are just words.
    mnewxcv

Oh, really?
    I mean, it's almost as if you didn't read what I typed.

Certainly you encountered it, but you didn't realize that you encountered it.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2021/11/04 19:02:00

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium

mnewxcv
    Re: EVGA B-Stock is overrun with bots 2021/11/04 19:24:43 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    mnewxcv

To be honest, I simply don't believe you.  Or them.  I don't believe anyone who makes claims without evidence.  Words are just words.
    mnewxcv

Oh, really?

fair enough, but if the captcha doesn't make me do anything to checkout, there is a good chance it doesn't make people using bots do anything either.

As for proof, there are plenty of discords with successful bot buy stories. This guy running the discord/bot shared this:

plenty of people using the bot/his affiliate link were successful. 
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: EVGA B-Stock is overrun with bots 2021/11/04 20:08:07 (permalink)
    mnewxcv

fair enough, but if the captcha doesn't make me do anything to checkout, there is a good chance it doesn't make people using bots do anything either.

Again, please read what I typed.  You don't do anything.  They don't do anything.  No one does anything.  Humans don't do anything specifically.  Bots don't do anything specifically.  It just silently judges interactions.  Either it will decide you are a human and the process will continue, or it will decide you are a bot and the process will halt.

This guy running the discord/bot shared this:

What is that?  Without context, that means nothing to me.  That is a date and a decimal number.  There is no source.  There is no proof.  Care to provide some context?  Anyone running something can easily create a date and a number for anyone.  What does it mean?  What does it prove?  If they "run the discord/bot" server, could they have an ulterior motive by making you believe something?

Here, here is my version.  The colors are inverted!  Ooooh!  It must mean something!

Examples of machines getting banned for what you claim this person is doing:
    Access Denied to EVGA.com - EVGA Forums
    EVGA website is IP banning for using a scanner or refreshing more than 3 times in a minute - EVGA Forums

Does this discord server have an infinite number of IP addresses to use so that every banned one is immaterial?  I doubt it.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2021/11/04 20:30:38

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102262
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: EVGA B-Stock is overrun with bots 2021/11/05 01:20:33 (permalink)
    EVGA has put a lot of measures in place to combat this bot type of behavior. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Darqnyght
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: EVGA B-Stock is overrun with bots 2021/11/18 14:01:06 (permalink)
    mnewxcv
    ty_ger07
    mnewxcv

mnewxcv

Oh, really?

As for proof, there are plenty of discords with successful bot buy stories. This guy running the discord/bot shared this:

plenty of people using the bot/his affiliate link were successful. 

Your screenshot for reference is not from a botting discord group. It is from a stock tracking server that tracks bstock and implements their affiliate code into the stock tracking URLs. When people click the URLs it auto applies the affiliate code on MANUAL checkout.Stop spreading fake news and go after actual botters. 

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile