EVGA

EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 (MSI Afterburner?)

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
essenbe
  • Total Posts : 92
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 (MSI Afterburner?) 2017/06/17 06:52:54 (permalink)
jmaster299
I just upgraded from a 1070 FTW to a 1080 FTW2 and am running into some issues of my own with this. Sadly there are far too many issues with Precision for me to ditch Afterburner. Not only does their OSD look 1000 times better, but it's compatible with more games. Jacob, you and I have had a lengthy discussion about this before via Twitter. I know you all are making improvements to it, but you all have a long way to go. Until such time as Precision looks/works 100% like Afterburner, I won't ever be getting rid of Afterburner. Which is sad since I've only ever used EVGA graphics cards. Going all the way back to my 8800GT.

That said, the specific problem I'm running into is PrecisionX is refusing to automatically run on system startup, even though I have the option selected. The way I have it set up is I have the fan controlled in Afterburner disabled, and am basically just using it for the monitoring and OSD, and have my fan control and curves set up in PrecisionX. But for some reason PrecsionX doesn't automatically launch and run in the background when I boot my computer up, so if I don't remember to manually start it, the card will just run the default fan profile on the card. Which is far too conservative for my preferences.

I even did a fresh install of PrecisionX, but I still can't get it to autorun on startup. Any help on getting that resolved? Again, I do have the option enabled in Precision to "Start with OS" and "Start Minimized".

Some feedback on what Jacob posted for the new format, it seems you all didn't learn your lesson. More information needs to be contained in each line. All GPU information in one line, GPU Temp, Fan Speed, Clock Speed, etc. Keeping information for each part contained on the same line allows the OSD to be contained in a smaller area. Instead of it being a massive list down the side of the screen. With Afterburner I currently, and for the past 5+ years, have constantly monitored, GPU Temp, GPU Usage %, GPU Clock Speed, FPS and CPU. And monitoring all 5 of those things requires only 3 lines of space and it can be tucked away in the bottom left corner of my screen where it's out of the way. Even in your new format for PrecisionX, it would still require 5 lines.

Last I used it Precision also had terrible font that was very hard to read. And, as I mentioned before, it's game support is extremely lacking. Didn't even support Overwatch the last time I tried it. I know you all can't do anything about making Afterburner support your hardware, but it's been what, 3 years now since you tried to make Precision a fully in house project. It's about time you brought it's quality up to where it should be. Screw anybody who complains if it looks like a copy of Afterburner/RivaTuner, that's what you need to do for it to actually be worth using as a program. Don't physically use their code, but you need to provide their look and functionality. If you can't do that, your product won't ever be worth using. 

And I can't stress enough how much of a hardcore EVGA fan I am. 8800GT, 570HD, 670 FTW SIG2, 970 SC, 1070 FTW, 1080 FTW2, and I have my first ever non GPU EVGA products, a 750 G3 and CLC 280 sitting on a shelf in preparation for a new build. Oh, and my EVGA hat. If I had money to spare I'd even consider an EVGA tattoo. But Precision is a steaming pile of garbage. Harsh words, but true.

What Operating System are you running? In the event you are using Windows 10, try opening C:/ProgramData/microsoft/windows/start menu/programs/startup and moving/copying the PX link from your desktop into that folder. It should automatically run at startup, if not you can enable it in Task Manager/startup tab.

Ryzen R9 5900X, Asus X570 Crosshair Viii Hero, 32 GB DDR4-3600, EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra FTW 3, Phanteks 400A Case, 2X 1TB M.2 SSDs.

Ryzen R7 5800X, Asus TUF X570, EVGA 1080 TI FTW3

CriticalHit_NL
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 404
  • Ribbons : 17
Re: EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 (MSI Afterburner?) 2017/06/17 07:23:59 (permalink)
essenbe
What Operating System are you running? In the event you are using Windows 10, try opening C:/ProgramData/microsoft/windows/start menu/programs/startup and moving/copying the PX link from your desktop into that folder. It should automatically run at startup, if not you can enable it in Task Manager/startup tab.

I wonder if EVGA Precision XOC actually creates a task to start the program with the commandline switch '/s' for PrecisionX_x64.exe on Windows 10, because I do see this on Windows 7 and it functions as it should.
This method was already used on EVGA PrecisionX V4.2.1 and earlier.

i7 3930K 4.4Ghz - EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 - 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR3-1866 - Asus Sabertooth X79 - Samsung 840 Pro 256GB - Samsung 860 Pro 2TB - 3x HGST 7K4000 Deskstar 4TB - 3x HGST Ultrastar He10 8TB - Corsair AX1200i - Asus PG279Q + BenQ BL2411 - Razer Viper Mini/SBF98 - Logitech Z906 & G35 - Windows 10 Professional

dinicthis
  • Total Posts : 50
Re: EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 (MSI Afterburner?) 2018/01/26 08:14:15 (permalink)
I mainly want PXOC to not attack my system and aggressively crash it to hell. My cards are more stable now, running quite a bit hotter on MSI Afterburner than they were running cooler on PXOC. I have had to woefully underclock one of my three FTW3's to keep temps sane, sadly.

Instead of adding features, how about making the software not so viciously attack users' systems, first?

Even forcing all nine cooling fans to maximum boost with PXOC resulted in crashing on the regular. Then it crashed some more. Uninstalled AV. Crashed some more on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on. (Repeat for 20 hours.)

PXOC needs MAJOR money spent on it to make the most of the FTW3 cards.
You can't make software that your cards depend on for maximum performance, then, like Microsoft, throw ten cents at a $200,000 programming problem, and walk away, turning your back on your customers now that you tricked them into investing in the hardware that they ASSUMED your software would not attack and invalidate.

intel 4790
Gigabyte Super Durable black edition MoBo with Z97 ? chipset
32GB RAM
Triple FTW3's, air cooled
Windows 10
PXOC version 6.2.3 and an earlier 6.1.something version.

post edited by dinicthis - 2018/01/26 08:20:25
dual109
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 121
Re: EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 (MSI Afterburner?) 2018/01/26 23:56:19 (permalink)
dinicthis
I mainly want PXOC to not attack my system and aggressively crash it to hell. My cards are more stable now, running quite a bit hotter on MSI Afterburner than they were running cooler on PXOC. I have had to woefully underclock one of my three FTW3's to keep temps sane, sadly.

Instead of adding features, how about making the software not so viciously attack users' systems, first?

Even forcing all nine cooling fans to maximum boost with PXOC resulted in crashing on the regular. Then it crashed some more. Uninstalled AV. Crashed some more on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on. (Repeat for 20 hours.)

PXOC needs MAJOR money spent on it to make the most of the FTW3 cards.
You can't make software that your cards depend on for maximum performance, then, like Microsoft, throw ten cents at a $200,000 programming problem, and walk away, turning your back on your customers now that you tricked them into investing in the hardware that they ASSUMED your software would not attack and invalidate.

intel 4790
Gigabyte Super Durable black edition MoBo with Z97 ? chipset
32GB RAM
Triple FTW3's, air cooled
Windows 10
PXOC version 6.2.3 and an earlier 6.1.something version.

Agreed, the V/F manual curve is also broken in Precision.  I've heard people getting an extra 25 - 50Mhz from using the V/F curve in AB.   The ftw3 cards have been disappointing on a many levels. (Power limit bug, PXOC buggy as hell, Hybrid kit fault. I have one in a box new waiting to hear from eVGA).

Zerospinduelist
  • Total Posts : 100
Re: EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 (MSI Afterburner?) 2018/01/27 10:25:35 (permalink)
interesting thread
dinicthis
  • Total Posts : 50
Re: EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 (MSI Afterburner?) 2018/01/27 17:07:19 (permalink)
What other brands of cards are there that don't suck? I was convinced I had the best card/software combo, but when the software is designed to destroy your computer and your cards, you realize you are dealing with the wrong company.

MSI seems to be on the ball. How are their cards?
CfYz_R
  • Total Posts : 10
Re: EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 (MSI Afterburner?) 2018/02/14 06:49:37 (permalink)
Bump. EVGA make some solution to control all fans on iCX :( Maybe save profiles like LED colors or smth :(
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21174
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 (MSI Afterburner?) 2018/02/14 08:00:51 (permalink)
Bumping is not allowed.

Here is ongoing discussion:
https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2778669

I am sorry that you are unhappy with your purchase. It is too late for EVGA to change the product's design. I gave you three options.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49180
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 (MSI Afterburner?) 2018/02/14 11:46:18 (permalink)
ty_ger07
Bumping is not allowed.

Here is ongoing discussion:

I am sorry that you are unhappy with your purchase. It is too late for EVGA to change the product's design. I gave you three options.

Actually the bumping he just did is fine as this thread isn't his.
chrisdglong
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 7220
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 (MSI Afterburner?) 2018/02/14 11:56:26 (permalink)
I can never get Precision to work flawlessly without issues. Afterburner just works with no issues whatsoever. I don't need anything except the stock fan profile on my 1080Ti FTW3, so I just use Afterburner for monitoring everything. Again, no need to use Precision unless you want to adjust fan profiles. 
racebum
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 153
Re: EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 (MSI Afterburner?) 2018/02/14 13:02:48 (permalink)
this is news to me. i have a launch 1070ftw which works really well with afterburner. 

what are the issues with the ftw3 and sc2 ? it sounds like the black is compatible? yes

seems odd to create cards incompatible with the best OC utility. i've always been an evga fan as well but the strix and gaming x often times are just as good of a card and do not have OC issues 
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 (MSI Afterburner?) 2018/02/14 13:13:06 (permalink)
The cards aren't incompatible with Afterburner. But, the thing is that special features EVGA has added to some of their cards are not supported by other people's software. If you want to use those special features, unless you convince some other software developers to invest the time into incorporating those special features into their software, you will need to use Precision X to access those special features.

Much to do about nothing and lots of complaining.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium

chrisdglong
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 (MSI Afterburner?) 2018/02/14 13:16:42 (permalink)
ty_ger07
The cards aren't incompatible with Afterburner. But, the thing is that special features EVGA has added to some of their cards are not supported by other people's software. If you want to use those special features, unless you convince some other software developers to invest the time into incorporating those special features into their software, you will need to use Precision X to access those special features.

Much to do about nothing and lots of complaining.

Yeah, no one is going to create software for MSI that works with EVGA only features. That would just be kind of... Yeah, crazy. Anyway, what other features besides custom fan profiles? I really haven't looked into it because the card just runs great out of the box. 
racebum
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 153
Re: EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 (MSI Afterburner?) 2018/02/14 13:16:59 (permalink)
Define not compatible. I was only expecting power, frequency, fan controlling. It seemed obvious the extra features would not be compatible but are you saying the base features are not even compatible?
chrisdglong
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 (MSI Afterburner?) 2018/02/14 13:22:10 (permalink)
racebum
Define not compatible. I was only expecting power, frequency, fan controlling. It seemed obvious the extra features would not be compatible but are you saying the base features are not even compatible?

If you just want to monitor your hardware and cap FPS, then afterburner works great. The extra features are:

"Exclusive features for EVGA graphics cards! These features will automatically enable on an EVGA graphics card:
DirectX 12 OSD Support – See the on screen display on DirectX 12 games.
EVGA GeForce 10 Series Only - EVGA OC ScannerX Integration – Automatically find your optimal voltage/frequency curve!
K-Boost Function – Maximize your clocks with this exclusive feature.
Select EVGA Cards - RGB LED control (on EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 FTW)"

https://www.evga.com/precisionxoc/

EDIT: To point out: You can use the Nvidia app to change colors. Pretty sure that Afterburner added DX12 support to the OSD. You can download OC Scanner standalone. I noticed a K-Boost option in Afterburner (not sure if it works for EVGA cards, but it is there).
post edited by chrisdglong - 2018/02/14 13:24:39
HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 15665
  • Ribbons : 135
Re: EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 (MSI Afterburner?) 2018/02/14 13:28:22 (permalink)
chrisdglong
racebum

If you just want to monitor your hardware and cap FPS, then afterburner works great. The extra features are:

"Exclusive features for EVGA graphics cards! These features will automatically enable on an EVGA graphics card:
EVGA GeForce 10 Series Only - EVGA OC ScannerX Integration – Automatically find your optimal voltage/frequency curve!

EDIT: To point out: You can use the Nvidia app to change colors. Pretty sure that Afterburner added DX12 support to the OSD. You can download OC Scanner standalone. I noticed a K-Boost option in Afterburner (not sure if it works for EVGA cards, but it is there).

The big one is asynchronous fan control. That is the one most complain about between AB and Precision. UnWinder, the developer for AB, talked about adding the ICX fan control awhile back...but...nothing since. My suggesting would be for those wanting fan control in MSI to pester UnWinder about it on the GURU3D forum...but do it nicely....saying he has a short fuse, doesn't quite hit the mark.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

chrisdglong
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 (MSI Afterburner?) 2018/02/14 13:30:20 (permalink)
HeavyHemi
chrisdglong
racebum

The big one is asynchronous fan control. That is the one most complain about between AB and Precision. UnWinder, the developer for AB, talked about adding the ICX fan control awhile back...but...nothing since. My suggesting would be for those wanting fan control in MSI to pester UnWinder about it on the GURU3D forum...but do it nicely....saying he has a short fuse, doesn't quite hit the mark.

LOL, yeah I had it out with him before. I just have to laugh at how he responds.
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 (MSI Afterburner?) 2018/02/14 13:33:48 (permalink)
Or, if you own an EVGA card with the asynchronous fan feature and you regret your purchase for some reason, instead of blaming EVGA or Unwinder, take matters into your own hand and splice the asynchronous fans' PWM wires and combine them with the main GPU fan PWM wire. All fans will then run at the same speed regardless of which software you use. Note: this would either void your card's warranty or at least add a repair fee on top of a warranty replacement claim; like I said, take responsibility for your purchase decisions and take matters into your own hands, if you must.

chrisdglong
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 (MSI Afterburner?) 2018/02/14 13:37:56 (permalink)
ty_ger07
Or, if you own an EVGA card with the asynchronous fan feature and you regret your purchase for some reason, instead of blaming EVGA or Unwinder, take matters into your own hand and splice the asynchronous fans' PWM wires and combine them with the main GPU fan PWM wire. All fans will then run at the same speed regardless of which software you use. Note: this would either void your card's warranty or at least add a repair fee on top of a warranty replacement claim; like I said, take responsibility for your purchase decisions and take matters into your own hands, if you must.

Or, just run the card with the stock fan profile... But, not many want to do that. 
HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 (MSI Afterburner?) 2018/02/14 13:46:02 (permalink)
ty_ger07

I blame EVGA for Precision being buggy. So far I've not seen anyone blame Unwinder. I don't see asking UnWinder to add a functionality as blame. After all, there's an entire huge sticky on GURU3D dedicated just to such things: feature suggestions. I get that your own personal preference is ZERO other software controlling the GPU. Others have different preferences that are just as valid as yours. Nobody should have to 'take matters into their own hands' to properly USE FEATURES that are TOUTED as the SELLING POINTS, for the product. I don't get the excuse for shoddy software.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 (MSI Afterburner?) 2018/02/14 13:47:37 (permalink)

Or, just run the card with the stock fan profile... But, not many want to do that.

That too! There is nothing wrong with the card out of the box. For some reason people demand software and features and are a bunch of whiners. Like I said, if you have an EVGA card which features asynchronous fans, you refuse to use Precision X, you refuse to believe that the default fan speeds are acceptable, and for some reason you believe that you HAVE to control ALL the asyncronous fans at once instead of only adjusting the main GPU fan, find your solution instead of placing blame. I provided 3 options.
1) Request/pay a 3rd party to add the software feature into their software.
2) Disconnect the GPU fans, buy mini 4-pin PWM GPU-style to regular 4-pin PWM adapters, and plug the fans into a different header or fan controller.
3) Splice the asynchronous fan PWM wires into the main GPU PWM wire.

Don't complain or blame anyone but yourself.

chrisdglong
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 (MSI Afterburner?) 2018/02/14 13:48:54 (permalink)
HeavyHemi
ty_ger07

I blame EVGA for Precision being buggy. So far I've not seen anyone blame Unwinder. I don't see asking UnWinder to add a functionality as blame. After all, there's an entire huge sticky on GURU3D dedicated just to such things: feature suggestions. I get that your own personal preference is ZERO other software controlling the GPU. Others have different preferences that are just as valid as yours. Nobody should have to 'take matters into their own hands' to properly USE FEATURES that are TOUTED as the SELLING POINTS, for the product. I don't get the excuse for shoddy software.

Yeah, the problem for me is not the features (what it has or doesn't have), it is that I never seem to just be able to run Precision without running into issues. I CAN do that with Afterburner. However, again, I am perfectly OK just running the card at stock. For gaming there is really no need to mess with anything. Overclock? Just for a couple extra frames per second? No thanks. The stock fan profile keeps the card running cool, under 70c, and running quiet. 
post edited by chrisdglong - 2018/02/14 13:51:54
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 (MSI Afterburner?) 2018/02/14 13:52:59 (permalink)
HeavyHemi
ty_ger07

Nicely requesting that the feature be added to a 3rd party's software (Afterburner for example) was my first recommendation. I don't know why you think I am excusing or blaming either Precision or Afterburner. I am blaming the consumer for spamming 5 different similar threads in 1 day in order to demand that EVGA change a feature which cannot be changed after production.

Again, refer to this:
post edited by ty_ger07 - 2018/02/14 13:57:02

HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 (MSI Afterburner?) 2018/02/14 13:56:29 (permalink)
chrisdglong
HeavyHemi
ty_ger07

Yeah, the problem for me is not the features (what it has or doesn't have), it is that I never seem to just be able to run Precision without running into issues. I CAN do that with Afterburner. However, again, I am perfectly OK just running the card at stock. For gaming there is really no need to mess with anything. Overclock? Just for a couple extra frames per second? No thanks. The stock fan profile keeps the card running cool, under 70c, and running quiet. 

Actually, I get a solid ~10% from overclocking. At 4K it makes a difference between bouncing around 60 FPS and always over 60 FPS. It's a matter of preference and it should work flawlessly. If it doesn't, defending it by saying "you don't need it" is a very poor argument IMO.

chrisdglong
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 (MSI Afterburner?) 2018/02/14 13:57:44 (permalink)
HeavyHemi
chrisdglong
HeavyHemi
ty_ger07

Actually, I get a solid ~10% from overclocking. At 4K it makes a difference between bouncing around 60 FPS and always over 60 FPS. It's a matter of preference and it should work flawlessly. If it doesn't, defending it by saying "you don't need it" is a very poor argument IMO.

Well, no one said that you don't need/want it. I said that I do not need/want it. I'm saying that if you can live without overclocking or adjusting the power and memory fans, then for me Afterburner is the better/more stable software. 
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 (MSI Afterburner?) 2018/02/14 14:01:04 (permalink)
I am not arguing what someone needs or doesn't need. I am arguing what someone demands for which is not possible. The user demands that EVGA makes asynchronous fans controllable in MSI Afterburner and Linux. Please, do your best to explain why that is not possible and why it is not EVGA's responsibility to assist 3rd parties with their software and operating system developement.

HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 (MSI Afterburner?) 2018/02/14 14:05:01 (permalink)
chrisdglong
HeavyHemi
chrisdglong
HeavyHemi
ty_ger07

Well, no one said that you don't need/want it. I said that I do not need/want it. I'm saying that if you can live without overclocking or adjusting the power and memory fans, then for me Afterburner is the better/more stable software. 

Actually yes, someone is arguing just that for any software control of the GPU, it's useless and apparently the bugs do not matter to them.  I agree AB is more stable. I'm not sure why someone who uses neither is spending so much time arguing.

HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 (MSI Afterburner?) 2018/02/14 14:06:30 (permalink)
ty_ger07
I am not arguing what someone needs or doesn't need. I am arguing what someone demands for which is not possible. The user demands that EVGA makes asynchronous fans controllable in MSI Afterburner and Linux. Please, do your best to explain why that is not possible and why it is not EVGA's responsibility to assist 3rd parties with their software and operating system developement.

Please explain who you are arguing with and why.  Your post is confusion with no context.

ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 (MSI Afterburner?) 2018/02/14 14:10:17 (permalink)
I am arguing with CfYz_R and I have already provided the link twice containing background information.

Please read CfYz_R's posts over the last day or two. He is spamming the same demands all over the forum stating that it is EVGA's responsibility to make the asynchronous fans work in other software and operating systems.

HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 (MSI Afterburner?) 2018/02/14 14:14:06 (permalink)
ty_ger07
I am arguing with CfYz_R and I have already provided the link twice containing background information.

Please read CfYz_R's posts over the last day or two. He is spamming the same demands all over the forum stating that it is EVGA's responsibility to make the asynchronous fans work in other software and operating systems.
Oh... so an entirely different thread and one single poster? No wonder I am confused. You gave the impression that there was this huge  problem with whiners all over and it is JUST ONE POSTER you're arguing with in another thread...come on.

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile