EVGA

EVGA 1080 FTW2 Displayport not working, card severely underclocks itself

Author
HooverFan
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/01/12 11:46:16 (permalink)
So here I am facing the same exact issue my first card had.  I'm currently on a RMA and it's been working fine, but I came home yesterday from work only to find that my main monitor (ASUS VG248QE) wouldn't come up from sleep.  I immediately felt a sense of dread as I had already gone through this issue and was hoping it was something else, but no matter what I did, I could NOT get the displayport to actually send anything to the monitor.  I run a triple monitor setup with 2 ASUS VP239 monitors to the side hooked up through HDMI (one direct, other through DVI adapter).  As long as I unplugged the DP cable, these 2 monitors would come up and work just fine, if I completely unplugged these and only used the DP, no matter which of the 3 ports I would plug into, nothing would show even though I could hear windows do the ding as if it found a new piece of hardware (the monitor).

With just my 2 side monitors plugged in through HDMI, I was able to get back into Windows only to find that Precision XOC was now showing my card with a gpu clock of under 200 and memory of not much more than that.  I went into the NVidia control panel and changed it to max performance and reset XOC and saw it go back to normal levels, only for it to immediately drop back down.  I've been running XOC ever since I got this card and it NEVER underclocked itself like this, same with my original card... it was only when DP started acting wonky that it would do this.

Now here's the weird thing... I just plugged back in my main VG248 with one of the HDMI connections from the other monitors and have dual monitors running both through HDMI and STILL can't get a DP signal, but now XOC is showing where the card is running at its default 1700~ 5500~ clocks as it always has (no, I don't run an OC).

I've about had it with this particular card version as I know it's had nothing but issues before with others and now I'm seeing this which makes no sense.

Oh, and before anybody asks, I have two DP cables and I've tried both that work fine and both are showing the same symptoms, so it's not the cables either.

I honestly have no idea what's going on, so any thoughts would be appreciated, because at this point, this will be the absolute LAST EVGA product I use... and at this point, if they want to RMA this one, they might as well just send me a flaming bag (if you know what I mean) rather than another one of these sorry excuses of a card.

8 Replies Related Threads

arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6916
    • Ribbons : 76
    Re: EVGA 1080 FTW2 Displayport not working, card severely underclocks itself 2018/01/12 11:57:28 (permalink)
    EVGA does have a 24/7 tech support line in the US - https://www.evga.com/about/contactus/

That said I don't run two monitors, but it sounds like the DP cables might not be VESA certified - and yes, that can cause issues as evidenced by many other folks in the 10 series forum who have found that out.
    HooverFan
    Re: EVGA 1080 FTW2 Displayport not working, card severely underclocks itself 2018/01/12 12:47:28 (permalink)
    So they would work fine for months and then suddenly NOT work... and these other issues would pop up... just because they're not VESA certified?  Yeah, no, they're both certified... and I put in a support ticket but have yet to hear anything.
    arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6916
    • Ribbons : 76
    Re: EVGA 1080 FTW2 Displayport not working, card severely underclocks itself 2018/01/12 13:10:52 (permalink)
    Do you use Windows 10? There have been a few updates, like the Fall Creators Update and several mandatory Windows Nvidia driver updates, that have messed things up for people. Use your windows search for "winver" - if you are on 1703 or 1709 that is the Fall Creators Update. You can try rolling back to an older version of Windows.

Alternately, you can try the newest GPU drivers from Nvidia, or some older sets to see if that helps. I highly recommend using DDU in safe mode to remove the old driver each time.

DDU: https://www.wagnardsoft.com/display-driver-uninstaller-ddu-

Older Nvidia drivers: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

Latest Nvidia driver: http://www.nvidia.com/Dow..d/index.aspx?lang=en-us

As for the GPU speed dropping to idle clocks in Windows? That's normal. Running at 144Hz for the monitor refresh rate will cause the speeds to not drop, and that is a long known bug for Nvidia.
    post edited by arestavo - 2018/01/12 13:14:10
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: EVGA 1080 FTW2 Displayport not working, card severely underclocks itself 2018/01/12 13:13:43 (permalink)
    Bandwidth usage over 13.27 gbps will cause the card to clock up all the time.

Two VP239's @ 60 hz a piece will use 7.46 gbps, or 3.73 gbps a piece. The card will run at normal idles speeds (139 mhz core & 405 mhz memory) when only those two monitors are being used.

Add in the VG248QE @ 144 Hz and you're up to 16.42 gbps which will cause the card to run clocked up all the time.
    post edited by Sajin - 2018/01/12 13:18:36
    HooverFan
    Re: EVGA 1080 FTW2 Displayport not working, card severely underclocks itself 2018/01/12 14:05:08 (permalink)
    arestavo
    Do you use Windows 10? There have been a few updates, like the Fall Creators Update and several mandatory Windows Nvidia driver updates, that have messed things up for people. Use your windows search for "winver" - if you are on 1703 or 1709 that is the Fall Creators Update. You can try rolling back to an older version of Windows.

Alternately, you can try the newest GPU drivers from Nvidia, or some older sets to see if that helps. I highly recommend using DDU in safe mode to remove the old driver each time.

DDU: 

Older Nvidia drivers: 

Latest Nvidia driver: 

As for the GPU speed dropping to idle clocks in Windows? That's normal. Running at 144Hz for the monitor refresh rate will cause the speeds to not drop, and that is a long known bug for Nvidia.

Using latest version of Windows, latest drivers from NVidia, done clean installs and all that already... still makes no sense that everything would work fine and then suddenly it can't handle a DP connection, not even on its own and can't even show boot, shows NOTHING.  2 completely different cables, both certified, and neither work... and I guarantee if I were to go grab another, it'll do the same thing.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: EVGA 1080 FTW2 Displayport not working, card severely underclocks itself 2018/01/12 14:10:38 (permalink)
    You sure the problem is coming from the video card? The input on your monitor may be the cause.
    AHowes
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6681
    • Ribbons : 27
    Re: EVGA 1080 FTW2 Displayport not working, card severely underclocks itself 2018/01/12 14:11:10 (permalink)
    My card dont show a boot screen either.. monitor finally gets a signal at the long on screen.

My 40" Samsung 4k screen is using a display port adapter to hdmi to the tv.. the pc will favor the other display port monitor even though it's not turned on. It senses its there.. so I'm assuming its showing the boot screen on thst monitor. Though I have not turned it on to find out.

I did swap the 2 display port cables around as I just figured the card had a number order and the other cable is on port 1 on the card.. Though again I have not powered the pc on with both on to see if it changes things.

I should and will if I remember next time.
    post edited by AHowes - 2018/01/12 14:15:42

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.2Ghz Single HUGE Custom Water Loop.
    Asus Z390 ROG Extreme XI MB
    G.Skill Trident Z 32GB (4x8GB) 4266MHz DDR4 
    EVGA 2080ti K|NGP|N w/ Hydro Copper block.  
    34" Dell Alienware AW3418DW 1440 Ultra Wide GSync Monitor
    Thermaltake Core P7 Modded w/ 2x EK Dual D5 pump top,2 x EK XE 480 2X 360 rads.1 Corsair 520 Rad.
    AHowes
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6681
    • Ribbons : 27
    Re: EVGA 1080 FTW2 Displayport not working, card severely underclocks itself 2018/01/12 14:17:31 (permalink)
    If the prob lies with letting the monitor sleep.. can you prevent the monitor from going into sleep? Or the pc going into sleep mode?

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.2Ghz Single HUGE Custom Water Loop.
    Asus Z390 ROG Extreme XI MB
    G.Skill Trident Z 32GB (4x8GB) 4266MHz DDR4 
    EVGA 2080ti K|NGP|N w/ Hydro Copper block.  
    34" Dell Alienware AW3418DW 1440 Ultra Wide GSync Monitor
    Thermaltake Core P7 Modded w/ 2x EK Dual D5 pump top,2 x EK XE 480 2X 360 rads.1 Corsair 520 Rad.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile