EVGA

Download the newest bios for EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC GAMING. Is a mission impossible?

Author
k9982874
  • Total Posts : 10
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/09/03 20:15:29 (permalink)
As a customer, I wonder to upgrade my video card bios but I can't find the newest bios downlink on EVGA official website.
I email  supportTW@evga.com for help. After 8 emails and few days they don't answer me anymore.

Are this bios files top secret for EVGA? Is this that hard to share with the common customer?

MSI X299 GAMING PRO CARBON AC
INTEL 7820x
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC GAMING
G.Skill Trident Z RGB 8G x 4
Corsair RM1000x
Cooldeep Castle 240

15 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49090
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Download the newest bios for EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC GAMING. Is a mission impossible? 2018/09/03 20:29:10 (permalink)
    Are you having a problem? If no, then you don't need to update your vbios.
    k9982874
    Re: Download the newest bios for EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC GAMING. Is a mission impossible? 2018/09/03 21:15:41 (permalink)
    Sajin

thanks for your suggestion. 

The newest vbios has new feature and bug fix, right?
    I want this. I want to keep my hardware work in a perfect state.
    It's not hard for understanding.

I know what i am doing.

and I think I have and should have the rights refresh my video card bios even the reason is I just feeling bored.

INTEL 7820x
    Corsair RM1000x
    Cooldeep Castle 240
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Download the newest bios for EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC GAMING. Is a mission impossible? 2018/09/03 21:21:13 (permalink)
    Your card may already have the updated vbios. You can check your cards serial number here. You can also download the updated vbios on that page.
    k9982874
    Re: Download the newest bios for EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC GAMING. Is a mission impossible? 2018/09/03 22:30:12 (permalink)

Sajin
    Your card may already have the updated vbios. You can check your cards serial number . You can also download the updated vbios on that page.

thanks for your reply. i got an error message

The Serial Number entered was not found. Please check to ensure that this is a EVGA GTX 1060/1070/1080 series product and try again.

I make sure this serial number what i posted is correct and i have already register it on EVGA official website.
    I can find it in "My Products" page.

Anyway i find manual downlink below on this page. i think this is what i want.

thanks for you help. have a nice day.

post edited by k9982874 - 2018/09/03 22:34:02

INTEL 7820x
    Corsair RM1000x
    Cooldeep Castle 240
    maniacvvv
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 9897
    • Ribbons : 165
    Re: Download the newest bios for EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC GAMING. Is a mission impossible? 2018/09/03 22:48:22 (permalink)
    Sajin

That advice would be absolutely correct.

I have had 9 EVGA video cards in the last 10 years, never had to update the BIOS. 
    *(except once when I had a problem, and it turned out in wasn't the BIOS.. it was the driver)

-New features and bug fixes are in the Nvidia driver not the video card BIOS, unless noted otherwise during research on your exact model number of card and BIOS version.

Video card BIOS flashing should never be done without -extensive- research and -properly- preparing for anything that could go wrong.
    Skip either of those steps, and you are asking for serious problems.  

k9982874
    Re: Download the newest bios for EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC GAMING. Is a mission impossible? 2018/09/03 23:28:49 (permalink)
    maniacvvv
    Sajin

That advice would be absolutely correct.

I have had 9 EVGA video cards in the last 10 years, never had to update the BIOS. 
    *(except once when I had a problem, and it turned out in wasn't the BIOS.. it was the driver)

-New features and bug fixes are in the Nvidia driver not the video card BIOS, unless noted otherwise during research on your exact model number of card and BIOS version.

Video card BIOS flashing should never be done without -extensive- research and -properly- preparing for anything that could go wrong.
    Skip either of those steps, and you are asking for serious problems.  

Actually, i have.

Recently my computer halt when i playing games. i don't overclock and definitely no overheat here. all driver and bios updated without video card.
    i tried to pull out and push in the video card, pull out and push in the memory, reinstall the Windows all not works.

i suspected the video card screw up but i don't want create a RMA easily.
    so i try to connect EVGA download the newest bios for save my video card back.

After few days i still don't have it. it's upsetting.

For now, I just want the newest bios of my video card like a willful child.
    Because I think i fix the halt issue of my computer after i split it into pieces and cleaned up them all yesterday.
    I still need keep watch and do more test for make sure it's 100% fix.

That's the whole story for you. :)

THE IMPORTANT THING: I play with computer DIY around 30 years i know what i am doing.

Photo of my computer

post edited by k9982874 - 2018/09/03 23:37:45

Attached Image(s)

INTEL 7820x
    Corsair RM1000x
    Cooldeep Castle 240
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Download the newest bios for EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC GAMING. Is a mission impossible? 2018/09/04 11:12:02 (permalink)
    Let us know if the new vbios fixes the halt issue or not.
    k9982874
    Re: Download the newest bios for EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC GAMING. Is a mission impossible? 2018/09/05 19:21:37 (permalink)
    Sajin
    Let us know if the new vbios fixes the halt issue or not.

It's fixed. I dont make sure the reason but it's fixed anyway.

INTEL 7820x
    Corsair RM1000x
    Cooldeep Castle 240
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Download the newest bios for EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC GAMING. Is a mission impossible? 2018/09/05 19:22:55 (permalink)

blusls
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: Download the newest bios for EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC GAMING. Is a mission impossible? 2019/03/06 19:04:50 (permalink)
    I get this is an old post. I have a question. I have 2 EVGA 1080GTX SC cards in SLI. I run the bios update from cmdline and all background app closed, and when I reboot. I still have the same bios that was there before I ran the update. I have rebooted the system as instructed and I am still not seeing the new vbios version number. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am hoping this will resolve the flickering issue I am see when running SLI at 4K.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30818
    • Ribbons : 123
    Re: Download the newest bios for EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC GAMING. Is a mission impossible? 2019/03/06 19:32:52 (permalink)
    blusls
    I get this is an old post. I have a question. I have 2 EVGA 1080GTX SC cards in SLI. I run the bios update from cmdline and all background app closed, and when I reboot. I still have the same bios that was there before I ran the update. I have rebooted the system as instructed and I am still not seeing the new vbios version number. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am hoping this will resolve the flickering issue I am see when running SLI at 4K.

Do a full shut down - not a reboot - pull the plug from the wall - hold start button +20 seconds

Remember to turn Windows 10 Fast Startup OFF, when upgrading drivers, firmware or hardware

It does this by putting the PC into hibernation instead of fully shutting down."

Windows Central - How to disable Windows 10 fast startup (and why you'd want to)

How-to Geek The Pros and Cons of Windows 10’s “Fast Startup” Mode

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

Older RIG projects RTX Project  Nibbler

When someone does not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place; you can't use reason to convince them otherwise!
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Download the newest bios for EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC GAMING. Is a mission impossible? 2019/03/06 19:58:41 (permalink)
    blusls

Did you run the cmdline as admin?
    travishauch
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Download the newest bios for EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC GAMING. Is a mission impossible? 2019/03/08 10:45:33 (permalink)
    blusls

I had a similar issue. I would open the exe and after about 15 seconds it would close. I saw something else flash in the window but would close before I could read it. So I recorded the screen on my phone and played it back. Turns out, nvidia control panel needs to be closed before the update can happen. After that, it started working. It actually pauses and prompts you to press "Y" to update the bios which then takes about 30 seconds.

Maybe this is what's happening to you? I had the nvidia control panel open because I was checking the vbios version.

P.S. YAY, my first post.

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30818
    • Ribbons : 123
    Re: Download the newest bios for EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC GAMING. Is a mission impossible? 2019/03/08 12:28:52 (permalink)
    travishauch
    blusls

I had a similar issue. I would open the exe and after about 15 seconds it would close. I saw something else flash in the window but would close before I could read it. So I recorded the screen on my phone and played it back. Turns out, nvidia control panel needs to be closed before the update can happen. After that, it started working. It actually pauses and prompts you to press "Y" to update the bios which then takes about 30 seconds.

Maybe this is what's happening to you? I had the nvidia control panel open because I was checking the vbios version.

P.S. YAY, my first post.

Welcome to the EVGA Forums, congrats on your first Post

That is a good point you made - Closing Nvidia Control Panel 

I would add that everything should be closed while flashing - even security software (go offline first)

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

Older RIG projects RTX Project  Nibbler

When someone does not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place; you can't use reason to convince them otherwise!
    tu212
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: Download the newest bios for EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC GAMING. Is a mission impossible? 2019/03/10 18:22:34 (permalink)
    blusls

Break down the sli and do a card at a time?  I would def try that as well.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile