Do case fans affect GPU power draw?

Author
BURN_BaD
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 174
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/11/18 05:32:33 (permalink)
So I (think) submitted an RMA for my 1080 ti SC earlier today that was artifacting while I was gaming. Its been approved but I thought I'd try to troubleshoot the system myself.

I started encountering the artifacts after I installed two BeQuiet Silent Wings 3 case fans (2200rpm max). I was waiting on a fan hub I ordered online, so I just plugged both straight into the fan headers on my motherboard an Asus Z270i. I thought maybe that was the issue since I didn't encounter any artifacting when I was using two no-name fans before I got the BeQuiets. So I unplugged both and ran 3DMark stress test. I have a Silverstone SX650G psu by the way.

Lo and behold, as of this writing the test is on its 15th loop and I have not seen any artifacting. But the gpu clock is pretty low, around 1600mhz with temps at 78 degrees. Did I prematurely submit that RMA you think? Can I retract it? More importantly, is my GPU okay and maybe its just the addition of two high performance fans that was causing the trouble?

EDIT: got 92.7%, did not pass unfortunately. I previously got something like 98-99% a month ago when I was running the same test. Do I push through with RMA?
post edited by BURN_BaD - 2019/11/18 05:50:15

4 Replies Related Threads

BURN_BaD
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 174
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Do case fans affect GPU power draw? 2019/11/18 07:35:58 (permalink)
    Ran another round of stress tests and the artifacts are still there. Clock speed is also going down even when the temps are in the 60s. Off to RMA land then.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31005
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Do case fans affect GPU power draw? 2019/11/18 07:44:48 (permalink)
    Yes, if the GPU is getting warmer - OR - your MB/ CPU OC was near the edge

Nvidia Boost 3.0 (for 10 series cards) - is the reason

Boost will control the MHz of the card based on Load, Temp & Watts .... & will step down the MHz to control Temp & Watts ... this is Not throttling

It is possible your New fans introduced electrical noise to your system (?) maybe

Your Rig Specs ?

GPU - 1080 ti SC  is model number ?
    MB -Asus Z270i  ---> is the BIOS latest version ?
    CPU - OC ?
    CPU Temps
    RAM & Timings / running manual or XMP
    PSU - Silverstone SX650G ---> Age of unit ?  Using Stock cables that came with the unit only ?

OS - detailed please: Win 10 Edition ?, Version ? & Build ?

Case & # of fans blow In & # blow out @ what RPM %

Room Temp ?

Remove All OC to test the GPU .... Start OS with a "Clean Boot"

What Benchmark are you running ?

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10337
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re: Do case fans affect GPU power draw? 2019/11/18 12:10:21 (permalink)
    BURN_BaD
    Ran another round of stress tests and the artifacts are still there. Clock speed is also going down even when the temps are in the 60s. Off to RMA land then.

By the time your GPU temp is in the 60'sC range, you've probably dropped 2 - 4 clock speed increments which is about 26 - 52Mhz.

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10103
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Do case fans affect GPU power draw? 2019/11/18 17:23:27 (permalink)
    With quality fans I would have RMA'd it anyways since it's probably an issue that would have happened anyway if just a slight system change like the case fan was causing it. 

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile