EVGA

Discord black screen when streaming / watching a stream and gaming (3070)

Author
crosshash
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/04/17 20:00:43 (permalink)
Hello, I absolutely cannot seem to solve this issue to the point that I'm wondering if my EVGA 3070 XC3 ULTRA is faulty. No matter what game I'm playing (Isaac, MHW, etc), if I'm watching a stream or streaming myself, eventually the screen will randomly flicker (as in, I can't cause this issue to happen every time) and the Discord window will be completely black: . Discord still works (people can see my stream and I can speak and hear people) and the UI elements can still be interacted with, but the actual window is black. I've tried everything and I can't seem to narrow down a fix, this includes:
  • Different versions of Discord including the PTB.
  • Different video drivers
  • Disabling Freesync
  • Disabling Hardware Acceleration
  • Disabling MSI afterburner
  • Disable Overlay
  • Clean Windows install
So even after a completely new Windows install I still get this issue. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm wondering if something like upgrading my card's BIOS might be a promising avenue because I've tried nearly everything now. Sorry if this isn't quite the content to post on the official EVGA forums.

Again, due to the seemingly random nature of this bug it's very difficult to capture it in action but I will strive to try and get a video recording.

Many thanks

[edit] Formatting
post edited by crosshash - 2021/04/18 03:38:36

9 Replies Related Threads

zevans
    • Total Posts : 12
    Re: Discord black screen when streaming / watching a stream and gaming (3070) 2021/04/18 03:27:22 (permalink)
    Sorry you are having all these issues. Did you happen to install a new vbios before any of these issues start?
    crosshash
    Re: Discord black screen when streaming / watching a stream and gaming (3070) 2021/04/18 03:34:18 (permalink)
    zevans
    Sorry you are having all these issues. Did you happen to install a new vbios before any of these issues start?

Hello, thank you for the response. These issues manifested around a month or so ago (I've had the card since January so it definitely has worked perfectly in the past). This has been using the factory vbios though I've just installed the new vbios now to see if that will rectify the issue (alongside updating my motherboard's BIOS to enable ReBAR).

We'll see what happens as a result of this.
    zevans
    • Total Posts : 12
    Re: Discord black screen when streaming / watching a stream and gaming (3070) 2021/04/18 03:35:40 (permalink)
    crosshash
    zevans

Hello, thank you for the response. These issues manifested around a month or so ago (I've had the card since January so it definitely has worked perfectly in the past). This has been using the factory vbios though I've just installed the new vbios now to see if that will rectify the issue (alongside updating my motherboard's BIOS to enable ReBAR).

We'll see what happens as a result of this.

I hope updating both bios' works out, update us when you can!
    crosshash
    Re: Discord black screen when streaming / watching a stream and gaming (3070) 2021/04/18 06:05:10 (permalink)
    Well, it just happened again watching my friend's stream on Discord whilst playing Isaac. This was with the latest vbios and graphics driver and the latest bios and system drivers. Interestingly it also seems to affect the Steam window as shown in this screenshot. https: //i.imgur.com/Oovi7lr.png
    It's a very phenomenon and I wish I knew how to log my system so I could try and identify what is going on when it happens.

I'm not sure if it's linked but in order to fix the black screen on Steam I had to kill the Steam Webhelper process; maybe when I'm streaming on Discord and playing a game, the webhelper process can crash.
    post edited by crosshash - 2021/04/18 06:07:30
    crosshash
    Re: Discord black screen when streaming / watching a stream and gaming (3070) 2021/05/02 21:37:10 (permalink)
    Using Windows Event Viewer, I've identified that this issue is related to dwm.exe crashing. It still only seems to happen when Discord is streaming but at least disabling hardware acceleration seems to stop the black screen issues.

I guess I need to wait for a fix from Discord; either that or my GPU is faulty.
    arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6916
    • Ribbons : 76
    Re: Discord black screen when streaming / watching a stream and gaming (3070) 2021/05/03 08:41:46 (permalink)
    The discord overlay would cause lockups & crashes for me playing older DX9 games. I've disabled it and stopped having that issue with discord. Maybe it will be the same for you?
    crosshash
    Re: Discord black screen when streaming / watching a stream and gaming (3070) 2021/05/11 01:36:11 (permalink)
    arestavo
    The discord overlay would cause lockups & crashes for me playing older DX9 games. I've disabled it and stopped having that issue with discord. Maybe it will be the same for you?

Thank you for the reply. I've tried disabling the overlay but this still kept happening. If I have any more revelations I'll update this thread just on the off chance someone else has this issue.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Discord black screen when streaming / watching a stream and gaming (3070) 2021/05/11 13:54:59 (permalink)
    Probably something you don’t want to try, but you should try a different video card, or even an older build of windows.
    crosshash
    Re: Discord black screen when streaming / watching a stream and gaming (3070) 2021/05/22 08:11:14 (permalink)
    Jesus guys I think I found the solution.

com/r/techsupport/comments/kj3277/desktop_window_manager_crashing_sporadically/

Turns out it was my Xbox series X controller that was causing dwm.exe to crash. I've updated the firmware so hopefully no more issues.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile