EVGA

Customer support denying me cross ship RMA!!

Author
void.pointer
  • Total Posts : 20
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/11/24 18:29:08 (permalink)
I purchased an EVGA GTX 1080 from Amazon in September 2018 and submitted an RMA ticket for a replacement unit since the one I have has a defective Display Port. The original invoice from Amazon was provided when I registered my device on my account via the EVGA website. Upon response to my ticket, the customer support representative (Name: Daniel McNamara) stated:
It appears you purchased this from a private party as the unit was shipped from EVGA directly to a customer. We would not be able to offer a Cross Ship for this unit and will only be a Standard RMA. Please confirm the address on the account and we will set that up.
I fail to find any information about this in any RMA documentation on the EVGA website. Furthermore I've had RMA experiences in the past where I could cross ship RMA just fine with purchases made through Amazon. What's even more odd here is that cross ship, at least in my experience, has always required the full retail price of the replacement unit as collateral, charged to a credit card. That way if the replacement unit is not sent back, EVGA doesn't lose money. Given that this RMA procedure is zero-risk for EVGA, I find it hard to believe that just because I bought my card through Amazon I would be denied this RMA option.

I am very upset with this response from EVGA in customer support. I think this is unfair, inefficient and wasteful of time and resources.

24 Replies Related Threads

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Customer support denying me cross ship RMA!! 2018/11/24 18:49:01 (permalink)
    On your invoice, what is the seller name?
    void.pointer
    Re: Customer support denying me cross ship RMA!! 2018/11/24 18:50:02 (permalink)
    It says "Sold by: GrowTechs"

JacobB
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 522
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Customer support denying me cross ship RMA!! 2018/11/24 18:51:05 (permalink)
    Hello,

Per the page: https://www.evga.com/warranty/rmaprocess/
    "The Standard Cross-Ship RMA requires that you are the original owner of the product and can provide proof of purchase in the form of an invoice or receipt."

In the past, we did not require an invoice for the cross-ship method, but this has since changed. This new policy requiring the invoice for the Cross-Ship RMA has been implemented for at least a year now.
    Please keep in mind that although this was purchased from Amazon, which is perfectly fine, the main thing that would be stressed would be that it was from a third-party seller. This would count as a secondhand purchase and would not place you as the original owner, even if the card came in a sealed box. Due to this, we would be unable to offer the Cross-Ship option for the RMA.

I hope this helps clear things up!

-Jacob B.
    post edited by EVGATech_JacobB - 2018/11/24 18:55:11
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Customer support denying me cross ship RMA!! 2018/11/24 18:54:36 (permalink)
    GrowTechs is not an authorized retailer. That is the purpose behind the denial of the cross ship.

The purchase must come directly from “Amazon, llc” or “Amazon”.
    void.pointer
    Re: Customer support denying me cross ship RMA!! 2018/11/24 18:56:05 (permalink)
    I understand what you're saying, however I'm having a hard time accepting it. After all, your documentation doesn't really explain how you definitions of first and second hand owners are logical in any way.

If the box is properly sealed and the serial numbers match, what is the actual problem? In that case, why does it matter whether or not I purchased it from EVGA or Amazon?

There's also the issue of practicality: Most folks, especially me, don't do a deep dive into where they purchase something on Amazon. Most buyers check for the "Prime" sticker for the 2 day shipping and check out. To make this even more frustrating, how many people actually know to effectively lawyer-up and read the fine print of the warranty policy prior to purchase? Typically companies keep things a little more straightforward, but it looks like EVGA has changed their policies for the worse. It is a lot less flexible and unfair to customers. And in my case at least, I feel cheated. As a 10+ year customer of EVGA it never occurred to me to check for such a policy change.

I am incredibly disappointed. And what upsets me is the lack of logic in this policy, which leaves it feeling like nothing more than a scam.
    EVGATech_DanielM
    EVGA Tech Support
    • Total Posts : 1132
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Customer support denying me cross ship RMA!! 2018/11/24 18:58:51 (permalink)
    As there is an escalated ticket I opened for further management review, I do apologize for any inconveniences that have occurred. Please also be advised that this will be addressed once our office opens up during normal business hours on Monday. Welcome to the forums as well. 
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Customer support denying me cross ship RMA!! 2018/11/24 19:03:12 (permalink)
    EVGA has a full listed of authorized retailers and resellers, as well as builders. GrowTechs is not on the list.

https://www.evga.com/Products/WhereToBuy.aspx

Yes, you must verify who you are purchasing from. Everyone should already know there is a third party reseller market on Amazon, NewEgg, and even Walmart.com.

I understand this can be frustrating, but everything is available in very plain language on the website very easily accessible for this purpose.
    void.pointer
    Re: Customer support denying me cross ship RMA!! 2018/11/24 19:03:53 (permalink)
    Thank you Daniel. Not frustrated at you specifically, I'm more in shock right now since I was not aware of this policy and as I stated before, I had previously done RMAs with much better experiences (policy-wise).

At this point I wanted to start the thread here to get more information on the RMA policy and provide feedback on the policy itself. I did not feel it was appropriate to discuss this further in our support ticket.

And obviously I'm upset, it's hard not to be, but I don't blame the customer support team for this. Now that I get the gist of what's happening, I have to make a difficult decision as a consumer. Assuming I can have an exception made for my RMA this time around simply due to my own ignorance of the RMA policy changes, it will be time for me to move on to a different company for my GPU needs. It's a sad thing to state, and by no means do I mean it as a threat. Hopefully my feedback here will be heard by someone at EVGA that can use it to better their policies, in which case I would be happy to invest in EVGA once again.

Thanks to everyone for the information, the best I can ask for at this point is that my feedback and frustration be heard by the executives at EVGA in charge of policy changes. Best wishes.
    void.pointer
    Re: Customer support denying me cross ship RMA!! 2018/11/24 19:12:04 (permalink)
    the_Scarlet_one
    EVGA has a full listed of authorized retailers and resellers, as well as builders. GrowTechs is not on the list.

Yes, you must verify who you are purchasing from. Everyone should already know there is a third party reseller market on Amazon, NewEgg, and even Walmart.com.

I understand this can be frustrating, but everything is available in very plain language on the website very easily accessible for this purpose.

Again, I want to stress how easy it is to misunderstand this. Hindsight is 20/20. When I see "where to buy" pages on company websites, that's usually a list of recommended places to buy things. To make this worse, most people don't know (or at least don't stop to consider) the differences between "amazon.com" as a frontend for retail purchase, and as a distributor/seller of the actual thing they purchased. For example, if my mom & dad saw your "where to buy" page and saw Amazon.com, they'd think: "Oh, I can just search "GTX 1080" and buy the one with the lowest price". After all, they bought it on "amazon.com" and even though, in 8 point font it says the sellers name _somewhere_ on the page, they won't stop to consider the RMA issues here due to the unobvious distinction.

And as well, sadly, it's not all there in plain language, since I haven't been able to find an explanation anywhere about the logic behind the distinction of "first" and "second" owners. When I think of a second-hand owner, I'm thinking of a user-to-user sale. But EVGA has defined it as purchase through an unauthorized retailer. However, that distinction is meaningless if the box is properly sealed and hasn't been touched. From an RMA perspective, that's all that matters: The physical quality and condition of the product. How it was specifically sold doesn't affect that.

Again, this is the best way I can reason about it. I just don't see the logic. It would be nice to see a logical explanation of this policy. It's the one thing that's frustrated me about this whole situation.
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Customer support denying me cross ship RMA!! 2018/11/24 19:13:50 (permalink)
    The policies were put into place because of the crypto mining abuse on cards. The process changed around 6 months ago.

I understand the possible want to move to another company, but I can assure you that the RMA policies are far more restrictive. If you take the time to read through their RMA, most companies don’t offer cross ship at all.

Hopefully this is your one less than favorable experience.
    void.pointer
    Re: Customer support denying me cross ship RMA!! 2018/11/24 19:18:07 (permalink)
    Ah, so the crypto miners ruined it for everyone. I thought the issue there was that they were messing with supply & demand due to buying out the market of GPUs, causing retail prices to skyrocket. I'm not sure what problem EVGA is solving by restricting RMAs. Is it that EVGA can work with authorized sellers to keep the pricing more stable or something? But even if that's the case, a broken card is a broken card? Whether someone spent $1500 on it or $500 because they bought it "second-hand", what does prohibiting cross-ship do to the crypto mining issue?
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Customer support denying me cross ship RMA!! 2018/11/24 19:18:50 (permalink)
    https://www.evga.com/warranty/graphics-cards/

A separate Transferable Limited Warranty is available for Second-Hand Purchasers, which also extends to used Products and Products not purchased from EVGA.com or an Authorized Reseller, as noted below.

These Limited Warranty terms are valid for Products purchased ON or AFTER May 25, 2018 within the regions of the Continental United States, Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico and Canada. For prior versions of the limited warranty terms please click here:Limited warranty terms prior to May 25, 2018.
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Customer support denying me cross ship RMA!! 2018/11/24 19:21:56 (permalink)
    My take on it, and I could be completely wrong because I only see the same thing you see...

My guess would be that some people were requesting a cross ship RMA, and getting the new card in without sending the old card back, which would deplete the RMA stock. At that point, EVGA would just charge their credit card and they would have effectively purchased a “new” gpu. To combat that, EVGA had to change many of their policies.

I cannot say it was 100% cryptominers, but it was during the crypto boom.
    void.pointer
    Re: Customer support denying me cross ship RMA!! 2018/11/24 19:27:38 (permalink)
    Well that sucks...

I appreciate you guys being patient with me. Now that I've heard the logic of things, I'm a bit more satisfied. Heck if you guys wanted to even bump up the collateral charge, say $2000 regardless of the GPU, I'd be OK with that too. From a credit card perspective, it's just a pending transaction and completely harmless (assuming you return the defective GPU!). It would also curb that abuse because no one in their right mind would buy a video card for $2000 (assuming the problem is as you say).

Anyway, we're not going to negotiate policy changes here, for sure. Again I can only hope for an exception in my case. And I know I'm not being completely denied an RMA, but the thought of not having a functional PC in my household for weeks bothers me a bunch. Cross ship RMA is one of the things I love the most about EVGA and it's a shame I made assumptions as a long time customer on my latest purchase.

Happy holidays.
    Tech_JoseC
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 383
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Customer support denying me cross ship RMA!! 2018/11/25 11:05:22 (permalink)
    void.pointer
    Well that sucks...

I appreciate you guys being patient with me. Now that I've heard the logic of things, I'm a bit more satisfied. Heck if you guys wanted to even bump up the collateral charge, say $2000 regardless of the GPU, I'd be OK with that too. From a credit card perspective, it's just a pending transaction and completely harmless (assuming you return the defective GPU!). It would also curb that abuse because no one in their right mind would buy a video card for $2000 (assuming the problem is as you say).

Anyway, we're not going to negotiate policy changes here, for sure. Again I can only hope for an exception in my case. And I know I'm not being completely denied an RMA, but the thought of not having a functional PC in my household for weeks bothers me a bunch. Cross ship RMA is one of the things I love the most about EVGA and it's a shame I made assumptions as a long time customer on my latest purchase.

Happy holidays.

Hello,

After the further review, we can allow for a one time exception and assist you with a Standard Cross-Ship RMA. Please keep in mind that in the future, if you want to do a Cross-Ship RMA on a product, that you will need to have purchased that product from an authorized retailer or distributor. I have left a voicemail since you did not pick up your phone but please give us a call back at 1.888.881.3842 so that we can help you set up a Cross-Ship RMA.

-Jose C.
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: Customer support denying me cross ship RMA!! 2018/11/25 11:06:15 (permalink)
    The OP Got Very Lucky, Very.

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Customer support denying me cross ship RMA!! 2018/11/25 11:08:22 (permalink)
    EVGATech_JoseC
    void.pointer
    Well that sucks...

Happy holidays.

Hello,

After the further review, we can allow for a one time exception and assist you with a Standard Cross-Ship RMA. Please keep in mind that in the future, if you want to do a Cross-Ship RMA on a product, that you will need to have purchased that product from an authorized retailer or distributor. I have left a voicemail since you did not pick up your phone but please give us a call back at 1.888.881.3842 so that we can help you set up a Cross-Ship RMA.

-Jose C.

Thanks for the help JoseC.

Op, still considering another company? ;-)
    void.pointer
    Re: Customer support denying me cross ship RMA!! 2018/11/25 11:12:18 (permalink)
    EVGATech_JoseC
    void.pointer
    Well that sucks...

Happy holidays.

Hello,

-Jose C.

Hi and thank you. I did try calling back but it says I can only leave a message for the RMA department. I'm available for the rest of the day if you'd like to try back, otherwise it looks like I'll have to call back tomorrow.
    void.pointer
    Re: Customer support denying me cross ship RMA!! 2018/11/25 11:30:24 (permalink)
    Never mind, called into tech support and got it taken care of. Thanks again to everyone. 

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: Customer support denying me cross ship RMA!! 2018/11/25 11:38:40 (permalink)
    void.pointer
    Never mind, called into tech support and got it taken care of. Thanks again to everyone. 

Op, still considering another company?  ;-)

void.pointer
    Re: Customer support denying me cross ship RMA!! 2018/11/25 12:06:58 (permalink)
    Ok you must really want an answer to that lol.

EVGA is still the best quality brand for GPUs, has been for the past 10+ years for me at least. Now that I understand the new RMA policy I'm a bit less upset and discouraged, so I'll stick around. Also the support team has gone above and beyond to not only put up with my irrational and emotional fit throwing, but to make sure that I'm taken care of. So next time I need a video card, EVGA will still be my first choice, I'll just have to be a bit more paranoid before I buy anything next time... things aren't as simple as they used to be.

Keep EVGA strong guys!

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: Customer support denying me cross ship RMA!! 2018/11/25 12:13:08 (permalink)
    It is not a new RMA policy, just so you know.
    Bookmark this link to check before your next order https://www.evga.com/products/wheretobuy.aspx
    And Never Buy from a 3rd Party Seller on any website, Amazon or Newegg or any other website.
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2018/11/25 12:14:33

tattude69
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 465
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: Customer support denying me cross ship RMA!! 2018/12/02 13:42:26 (permalink)
    Just another Example of Evga having awesome customer service and great warranty. i just had a closed loop cooler fail made by a different company and they refuse to do any type of cross ship. Needless to say i will be replacing the defective part and company with an Evga product. They lost a customer because they treated me like a number. Their loss i  will share the experience with everybody that listens and they will lose more customers

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31005
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Customer support denying me cross ship RMA!! 2018/12/02 13:49:11 (permalink)
    void.pointer

Glad this issue was addressed to your satisfaction

Maybe go to your first post, select edit - then add a word or two like "resolved" to the front of your title, so at a glance members know the issue has been addressed

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile