EVGA

Computer freezes during boot up after installing GTX 970 (SOLVED)

Author
stapleshotz
  • Total Posts : 9
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/11/20 13:17:57 (permalink)
The problem:
So here's the deal. I'm kind of a noob and I have a prebuilt computer about which I know very little. I bought a new EVGA GTX 970 and installed it in my desktop (after uninstalling the drivers for my old AMD GPU). When I boot it up it freezes on the BIOS screen. Press any key and the screen goes black; it's still frozen. Fan runs in beast mode until I turn it off.

What I tried:
  • I checked to make sure that it was seated properly in the PCIE x16 slot and double checked power connectors.
  • Checked to see if my mobo supports UEFI (It does)
  • Using a different monitor using vga instead of display port like before.
  • Called EVGA and they suggested updating my BIOS from HP's website, so I did. (But I think I'm already on the latest version?)
  • Removing the battery on the mobo for 5 minutes then replacing it and powering up with the new graphics card.
  • Called HP and they suggested I spend $250 to have a technician work on it. (I'd rather not pay almost as much as I paid for the card to install it if I can avoid it...)

None of these things had any effect. (except for the paying money one which I haven't done yet.) I put the old card (Radeon 7670) back in and it started up fine.
I'm kind of grasping at straws at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Model: HP Phoenix h9-1100z (A5U16AV#ABA)
Motherboard: Gigabyte 2AC8 (AMD 970 (RX980) + SB950 chipset)
Processor: AMD FX-8150 (3600.0 MHz)
BIOS: Ang_716 (04/05/2012) 

Let me know if there's any relevant info I left out.

--edit

Removed old mobo and popped in a new ASRock 970M Pro3 and everything worked fine. I got some excellent help from everyone here, so thanks for that!

post edited by stapleshotz - 2015/11/25 08:53:37

22 Replies Related Threads

bsmegreg
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1604
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: Computer freezes during boot up after installing GTX 970 2015/11/20 13:31:56 (permalink)
    Either the card is defective, or you have an HP that is not 900 series friendly. What you can do is try the card in a friends computer or take it to a computer store. If it works in another computer then you need to return the card for a refund and buy 600 series or AMD (700 is still splotchy for HP). There has been several people in the past that have had or return their cards due to incompatiablity with older HP machines.

If the card doesn't work in another computer, then by all means get an RMA. It's just it doesn't make since to pay shipping and time for an RMA if it's your PC. Plus, by the time your RMA is completed it may be too late to return it, so you deffinitly should look into trying it in another computer.

bsmegreg
    FTW Member
    Re: Computer freezes during boot up after installing GTX 970 2015/11/20 13:31:59 (permalink)
    Either the card is defective, or you have an HP that is not 900 series friendly. What you can do is try the card in a friends computer or take it to a computer store. If it works in another computer then you need to return the card for a refund and buy 600 series or AMD (700 is still splotchy for HP). There has been several people in the past that have had or return their cards due to incompatiablity with older HP machines.

If the card doesn't work in another computer, then by all means get an RMA. It's just it doesn't make since to pay shipping and time for an RMA if it's your PC. Plus, by the time your RMA is completed it may be too late to return it, so you deffinitly should look into trying it in another computer.

Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 13061
    • Ribbons : 34
    Re: Computer freezes during boot up after installing GTX 970 2015/11/20 13:52:37 (permalink)
    Whatever you do just don't pay them any money. The members here at EVGA can put those scrounges to shame any day of the week and we don't charge you nothing. If we can't get you fixed up then nobody can.
    bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10364
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re: Computer freezes during boot up after installing GTX 970 2015/11/20 13:59:44 (permalink)
    If that BIOS date is correct you have listed in your specs, that's more than likely your issue.  The Maxwell (900 sereis) GPU's weren't even out yet at the time of that BIOS.

MDeckerM
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1799
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: Computer freezes during boot up after installing GTX 970 2015/11/20 14:06:36 (permalink)
    Hello stapleshotz,

Unfortunately I cannot find any evidence of the 900 series GPU's being compatible with your system. The last bios update available was released on 13 Apr 2012 which is far too old for the newer card architecture.

Try these steps if you have not already.

HP/Compaq:
    With new HP computers either press F10 to get in the BIOS, or the Escape key to bring up the Startup Menu then select Computer Setup or BIOS Setup. There’s a menu on the Advanced mode side for “Security”. Under “Security” there will be a "Secure Boot Configuration" menu where you would want to disable both “Secure Boot” and “Fast Boot” and then enable “Legacy Boot Support”. When the options are set hit F10 to save and exit out of the BIOS Setup. The system will reboot and ask you to enter in a passcode to confirm changes. After the system boots into Windows go ahead and shut the system down and install the graphics card as normal. The graphics should now be displaying through the video card.
    More information of the HP BIOS can be found here: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03656066
    stapleshotz
    Re: Computer freezes during boot up after installing GTX 970 2015/11/20 14:09:03 (permalink)
    bsmegreg

My friend has an HP h9-1300t which is pretty similar to mine and he just installed the same card successfully, so I'll try installing it in his machine. Back in a few minutes for results.

Zuhl3156
    Whatever you do just don't pay them any money. The members here at EVGA can put those scrounges to shame any day of the week and we don't charge you nothing. If we can't get you fixed up then nobody can.

:D Thanks that's comforting.

bdary
    If that BIOS date is correct you have listed in your specs, that's more than likely your issue.  The Maxwell (900 sereis) GPU's weren't even out yet at the time of that BIOS.

I'm really hoping that's not the issue as I had my heart set on this card. I dunno though, maybe its time to build a new machine anyway. My friend's (the one mentioned above) bios version is from december of that same year and his works fine.
    stapleshotz
    Re: Computer freezes during boot up after installing GTX 970 2015/11/20 14:11:23 (permalink)
    EVGATech_MDecker
    Hello stapleshotz,

Unfortunately I cannot find any evidence of the 900 series GPU's being compatible with your system. The last bios update available was released on 13 Apr 2012 which is far too old for the newer card architecture.

Try these steps if you have not already.

HP/Compaq:
    With new HP computers either press F10 to get in the BIOS, or the Escape key to bring up the Startup Menu then select Computer Setup or BIOS Setup. There’s a menu on the Advanced mode side for “Security”. Under “Security” there will be a "Secure Boot Configuration" menu where you would want to disable both “Secure Boot” and “Fast Boot” and then enable “Legacy Boot Support”. When the options are set hit F10 to save and exit out of the BIOS Setup. The system will reboot and ask you to enter in a passcode to confirm changes. After the system boots into Windows go ahead and shut the system down and install the graphics card as normal. The graphics should now be displaying through the video card.
    More information of the HP BIOS can be found here:

Thanks, I'll give that a shot right after I check if the card is dead. 
    stapleshotz
    Re: Computer freezes during boot up after installing GTX 970 2015/11/20 14:32:44 (permalink)
    bsmegreg

I installed in my friend's HP h9-1300t. It booted up fine, but it's not recognizing that the card is connected. It just uses basic display driver or whatever. No card listed in dxdiag. Does that mean the card is faulty?
    We used a GPU monitoring thing and it didn't recognize it either. It showed the "GPU" peaking at 100% repeatedly. The screen would also periodically go black then come back on.
    Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 13061
    • Ribbons : 34
    Re: Computer freezes during boot up after installing GTX 970 2015/11/20 14:45:29 (permalink)
    Check your Device Manager and see if it is disabled for being defective. I think it's Code 43 but I have to double check on that.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49187
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Computer freezes during boot up after installing GTX 970 2015/11/20 14:46:21 (permalink)
    stapleshotz
    I installed in my friend's HP h9-1300t. It booted up fine, but it's not recognizing that the card is connected. It just uses basic display driver or whatever. No card listed in dxdiag. Does that mean the card is faulty?
    We used a GPU monitoring thing and it didn't recognize it either. It showed the "GPU" peaking at 100% repeatedly. The screen would also periodically go black then come back on.

Sounds like you should have tried to install the latest nvidia driver.
    bsmegreg
    FTW Member
    Re: Computer freezes during boot up after installing GTX 970 2015/11/20 15:13:36 (permalink)
    Sajin
    stapleshotz

His friends PC has a 970.  They just switched it out. 

So, maybe it is faulty.  You can contact EVGA about a replacement, if that fails too then get a refund.  You could also do a computer upgrade.  But that means a new motherboard.  You can try getting one of these here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007625%20600138080%20600009017

Notice, that this is assuming that the BIOS is the issue.  Its only $50-$60 for a new motherboard with your chip set and form factor which is fairly cheap.

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Computer freezes during boot up after installing GTX 970 2015/11/20 15:25:57 (permalink)
    bsmegreg
    Sajin
    stapleshotz

His friends PC has a 970.  They just switched it out. 

So, maybe it is faulty.  You can contact EVGA about a replacement, if that fails too then get a refund.  You could also do a computer upgrade.  But that means a new motherboard.  You can try getting one of these here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007625%20600138080%20600009017

Notice, that this is assuming that the BIOS is the issue.  Its only $50-$60 for a new motherboard with your chip set and form factor which is fairly cheap.

Yes, I know that but it sounds like they uninstalled the drivers before putting his card into his friends system...

stapleshotz
    I installed in my friend's HP h9-1300t. It booted up fine, but it's not recognizing that the card is connected. It just uses basic display driver or whatever.

stapleshotz
    Re: Computer freezes during boot up after installing GTX 970 2015/11/20 15:32:05 (permalink)
    Sajin

Yes, I know that but it sounds like they uninstalled the drivers before putting his card into his friends system...

We didn't uninstall the drivers. It's the same card so I figured we wouldn't need to. Was I wrong? I should also say that we tried installing his gtx970 in my machine and it had the same problem as mine. No boot past the bios screen. 
    bsmegreg
    FTW Member
    Re: Computer freezes during boot up after installing GTX 970 2015/11/20 15:36:46 (permalink)
    stapleshotz
    Sajin

We didn't uninstall the drivers. It's the same card so I figured we wouldn't need to. Was I wrong? I should also say that we tried installing his gtx970 in my machine and it had the same problem as mine. No boot past the bios screen. 

Okay, so clearly the motherboard isnt working with it if a 'known' card doesn't work etither (your friends).  You can look into a new motherboard under your same form factor still, or you can buy a new PC.  The motherboards that are new and will work with your current setup are below, assuming your hard drive is SATA II, which I hope it is. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007625%20600138080%20600009017

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Computer freezes during boot up after installing GTX 970 2015/11/20 15:38:41 (permalink)
    After the first boot with your card in his system did you guys reboot the system? It sounds like the drivers didn't load properly. I'd suggest putting your card back into his system and reinstalling the drivers after cleaning out the old ones with ddu.
    stapleshotz
    Re: Computer freezes during boot up after installing GTX 970 2015/11/20 15:43:07 (permalink)
    bsmegreg
    Okay, so clearly the motherboard isnt working with it if a 'known' card doesn't work etither (your friends).  You can look into a new motherboard under your same form factor still, or you can buy a new PC.  The motherboards that are new and will work with your current setup are below, assuming your hard drive is SATA II, which I hope it is. 

I think it's SATA 3. It's a Seagate ST1500DM003-9yn16g. My hardware info thing says it's drive controller is SATA 6GB/s @ 3GB/s. That means SATA 3 right?
    Sajin
    After the first boot with your card in his system did you guys reboot the system? It sounds like the drivers didn't load properly. I'd suggest putting your card back into his system and reinstalling the drivers after cleaning out the old ones with .

We'll give that a shot.
    bsmegreg
    FTW Member
    Re: Computer freezes during boot up after installing GTX 970 2015/11/20 15:54:13 (permalink)
    SATA 6GB/s is SATA3, SATA 3GB/s is SATA2.  So, its sayings its SATA3, at SATA2?  It doesn't make a lot of since in reality, but its saying that it works with SATA3 I guess.  SATA3 is what you're using now and it looks like its what you have to use on any replacement you buy.  This motherboard below is your form factor, AM3+ and SATA3.  I think its going to be your best bet, unless you want to buy from another source or used.

http://www.newegg.com/Pro...x?Item=N82E16813157582

EDIT: The last BIOS update was 9-17-15, so I think you would be pretty safe.
    post edited by bsmegreg - 2015/11/20 16:10:52

stapleshotz
    Re: Computer freezes during boot up after installing GTX 970 2015/11/20 16:05:18 (permalink)

bsmegreg
    SATA 6GB/s is SATA3, SATA 3GB/s is SATA2.  So, its sayings its SATA3, at SATA2?  It doesn't make a lot of since in reality, but its saying that it works with SATA3 I guess.  SATA3 is what you're using now and it looks like its what you have to use on any replacement you buy.  This motherboard below is your form factor, AM3+ and SATA3.  I think its going to be your best bet, unless you want to buy from another source or used.

Your link doesn't work.
    bsmegreg
    FTW Member
    Re: Computer freezes during boot up after installing GTX 970 2015/11/20 16:10:40 (permalink)
    stapleshotz

bsmegreg

Your link doesn't work.

http://www.newegg.com/Pro...x?Item=N82E16813157582

stapleshotz
    Re: Computer freezes during boot up after installing GTX 970 2015/11/20 16:14:47 (permalink)
    bsmegreg

Awesome thanks! I could actually get another mobo with all the right specs except for the form factor. It's an atx. How bad of an idea would that be considering my current one is micro atx?
    --edit
    Never mind, that's stupid. I'll get the one you recommended. It seems to be what I'm looking for and is pretty affordable. I'll post again in a few days with results after it gets here.

Also, I should mention that we put my card back in my friend's computer and it worked fine. So the card's good, which is a relief.
    Thanks for the help so far everybody!
    post edited by stapleshotz - 2015/11/20 16:51:20
    stapleshotz
    Re: Computer freezes during boot up after installing GTX 970 2015/11/25 08:48:52 (permalink)
    Yep. Plugged the new mobo in (ASRock 970M Pro3) though not without some difficulty, mind you; it was my first time. Powered up and it the card worked fine.

I had to get a new CPU cooler and wifi card because the old ones didn't fit. Gonna get a new case fan too because my old one is a 3 pin and runs constantly at full blast on the new mobo which has a 4 pin slot for it (even after changing the settings in the bios). Also my USB 3.0 cable isn't long enough to reach its spot on the mobo so I'm looking or like an extender or something. Not super concerned though. The mobo added 2 usb ports I didn't have before so the net change is nil.

Interestingly, I didn't have to buy a new windows license. The new mobo booted up from my hdd just fine on windows 10. A guy on HP forums said that because my windows license was an OEM it wouldn't transfer to the new mobo. IDK maybe it's because windows 10 works differently? No complaints here.

Anyway, thanks for all your help!

--edit

Nevermind on the windows thing. It booted to windows fine but I have to get a new key to activate it. I can worry about that later though.
    post edited by stapleshotz - 2015/11/25 09:17:32
    bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10364
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re: Computer freezes during boot up after installing GTX 970 2015/11/25 09:10:17 (permalink)
    Glad to hear you got everything resolved...

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile