EVGA

Can't Enable DXVA on my 8400GS Card

Author
nwboater
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2010/10/22 11:57:20 (permalink)
I have an 8400GS 512-P2-N738-LR Card and can't get h.264 hardware acceleration to work. I'm using this in an HTPC application (no gaming) running SageTV. HA is enabled in Sage. The video decoders are Arcsoft and using GraphStudio it shows what's enabled and it wont allow DXVA 1.0 or 2.0 to be enabled.

In researching this card the specs show DirectX 10 support. I'm using XP and it will not allow installation of DirectX 10, only 9. Does anyone here know if DirectX 10 is required for this card to do hardware acceleration?

Thanks very much.

Rod

2 Replies Related Threads

jcolick
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 118
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re:Can't Enable DXVA on my 8400GS Card 2010/10/24 08:44:21 (permalink)
     Just so you know DX10 is not required to enable hardware acceleration

The most important thing, you need a codec pack called Pure Codec. I'm not sure what  the latest version is but I am currently using V2008 Build 0831.
    Here is the settings that do the trick, I tested in on XP and Vista 32 bit. I also tested it on Vista 64 bit. Once you installed the codec pack Pure Codec, do the following settings from the Pure Codec Settings Page:

1.Deselect “Auto Mode”

2.Video Renderer use VMR9 Renderless (Remap_16_235). This will give you better color.

3.Audio Decoder choose InterVideo. Better sound quality and smoother playback.

4. H.264 Video Decoder is our main concert, choose CyberLink (DXVA) for MKV. This is the one which enables hardware acceleration.

nwboater
    • Total Posts : 4
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re:Can't Enable DXVA on my 8400GS Card 2010/10/24 09:39:25 (permalink)
    Thanks very much for the info. I Googled Pure Codec and found a link to Software.informer (don't see how to insert a link in this Forum) that showed a warning from McAfee that their Player is infected and visiting their site may infect our computer. So I'm a little spooky on this.

Yesterday I downloaded the free MPC-HC Player and used it to play one of my HD files. Amazing, CPU ran 8-12% so HA must have been functioning. That's telling me that my card is definitely capable of HA and playing HD files on this old P4. This morning I tried using the MPC Decoder (Gabest) in Sage. It played the same file at 50-55% CPU. Not sure why it's so much higher than with the MPC player, but definitely better than 100%!

Several of the folks on the SageTV Forum are strongly advising that I upgrade to Win 7. They say that SageTV in Win 7 "Just works!" They are using the Micrsoft DTV/DVD Decoders that come with Win 7. I've been wanting to play with 7 so am very inclined to do this.

So thanks again for confirming that DX10 is not required for HA. What I did find with further research yesterday is that DirectX 9 will only allow use of DXVA 1.0, not 2.0. Not sure what the difference is there.

Rod
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile