Can someone tell me if I'm an idiot?

Author
benjamingreen22
  • Total Posts : 17
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2022/01/21 17:34:05 (permalink)
Greetings everyone,

I wanted to get some input on RAM overclocking. So, I had my PC for almost 3 years and I started learning to overclock the day I finished it. I did a lot of research on CPU overclocking (settings, etc.), and I made some really good progress messing around with that stuff. However, no matter how many articles I read I still can't quite grasp RAM overclocking. Between all the acronyms and numbers it's really hard to absorb much. My question primarily is how can I tell if I have a good overclock? I've read that having a high frequency isn't great if your timings are loose, and vice versa. I currently have 32GB of stock, currently, in BIOS I have it set to 4000mhz(18-21-21-40) @ 1.350 volts. Are these settings terrible? I used Geekbench to benchmark for a baseline, and as I stepped it up the benchmarks were seeing improvements. Essentially, I really do not know where I stand on the "quality" of the overclock.

Also some background information, I have a 9700k currently @ 5.3GHz with the voltage set to 1.4ish. My motherboard is an Aorus Pro z390 with version f9 for the bios. I have ample cooling on the CPU with a 360mm NZXT AIO. Is there anything I can do to make this overclock a quality one? I would appreciate some feedback and opinions if I can make this RAM have higher improvements. I appreciate any help or information I can get, thanks!!

CPU:i7 9700K @ 5.4GHz
Motherboard: Aorus PRO z390
RAM: TridentZ 32GB @ 3866Mhz
GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW Ultra FHR (Hybrid Kit)
COOLING: NZXT Kraken X72 360mm
STORAGE: 970 EVO (500GB,1TB)

4 Replies Related Threads

transdogmifier
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6116
    • Ribbons : 17
    Re: Can someone tell me if I'm an idiot? 2022/01/21 17:50:35 (permalink)
    RAM Overclocking is confusing for me too.....so I'm watching this thread!

AMD Ryzen 7900x3d
    Deepcool LT720
    Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X670 (Might change..don't like this board)
    eVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming (Hybrid kit on it)
    Asus ROG Swift PG43UQ 4k Monitor
    eVGA 1600W Supernova T2 PSU
    32GB Kingston 6000 DDR5 (2x16GB) Fury
    Corsair MP600 Pro 2TB (Boot)
    Corsair MP600 2TB (Games/Data)
    Phanteks P500A Case

benjamingreen22
    • Total Posts : 17
    Re: Can someone tell me if I'm an idiot? 2022/01/21 18:27:26 (permalink)
    transdogmifier
    RAM Overclocking is confusing for me too.....so I'm watching this thread!

At least I am not the only one!

CPU:i7 9700K @ 5.4GHz
    Motherboard: Aorus PRO z390
    RAM: TridentZ 32GB @ 3866Mhz
    GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW Ultra FHR (Hybrid Kit)
    COOLING: NZXT Kraken X72 360mm
    STORAGE: 970 EVO (500GB,1TB)

tbushra
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re: Can someone tell me if I'm an idiot? 2022/01/22 07:32:54 (permalink)
    I also don't know tons about overclocking, but I thought the case for not overclocking should be brought to the table.

Making some fine adjustments probably isn't an issue, but at a certain point you're making your system unstable and wearing out the parts more quickly, plus demanding more coolant from your airflow / liquid cooling (The latter point isn't so relevant for RAM, but you asked about overclocking other parts as well, so I thought I'd mention it).

All this comes at a price, so it's not the "free boost" you think it is. With the money you spend on overclocking adjustments, you could purchase better stock parts to make your system run better without modification. And with the time you spend on figuring it out, you could be gaming, or creating, or doing whatever it is you do on your PC.

If you've considered these factors and still want to overlook your system, don't let me stop you! I sure hope you find someone more educated than myself to answer your question :)
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31005
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Can someone tell me if I'm an idiot? 2022/01/22 09:13:09 (permalink)
    Rigs using an iGPU will benefit from faster RAM

How to Overclock RAM - Intel 

Usually good for small gain in benchmark score .... depending on Your software / use .... you'll have to test your settings & see what "works" 

Outside of benchmarks .... no t sure it is worth the trouble ... small gains usually in real world applications PC is always only as fast as the slowest part .... so, if your RAM is not the bottleneck - not going to see improvements

Stability is application specific - one sized does not work for everything, the closer you get to the "edge of stability" the more this applies

some good info Tom's Hardware Memory Overclocking on Z390 Coffee Lake: What RAM Speed Do

igorslab - different MB .. still informative  RAM-OC Guide for Intel Rocket Lake and Z590 - Tips, Tricks ..

How to Geek Why You Should Overclock Your RAM (It's Easy!)

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile