Blizzard shares new Diablo IV details in quarterly developer update

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102323
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2020/02/26 23:12:07 (permalink)
https://www.kitguru.net/gaming/matthew-wilson/blizzard-shares-new-diablo-iv-details-in-quarterly-developer-update/

Diablo IV does not have a release date just yet but we’ll be getting regular progress updates as development continues, rather than staying silent until the next big event. The February update details UI changes, the addition of controller support on PC, how couch co-op works and a nice overview of enemy design- starting with a cannibal tribe.

Blizzard got a lot of feedback on UI from Blizzcon, due to this, the ‘painterly’ design of the inventory screen is going to be changed to give more natural texture and realism to your stored items. Brightness and saturation of icon backgrounds has been tuned down and rarity indicators have been made a bit more subtle.
The classic Diablo action bar at the bottom of the screen is being moved from the left corner back to the centre based on feedback and players will also be able to re-bind the right mouse button in order to separate movement from attacking. Finally, Blizzard is planning on supporting controllers on PC for the first time in Diablo history, so players will have more choice over which UI and control method they prefer.

Couch co-op appeared in Diablo 3’s Reaper of Souls expansion but it is getting tweaked for Diablo IV. For now, Blizzard is focusing on UI updates for two-player co-op, including the ability for players to tinker around in their inventories at the same time or independently of each other.

As part of the art direction update, Blizzard explains that monsters are being reimagined in a darker, grittier form. The team is also designing ‘monster families’ and archetypes, so each family of monsters will have a different combat style and each archetype plays a different role in combat. One of the new monster families being introduced is the Cannibal tribe, which is described as a group of outcasts that prey on unsuspecting caravans and villages.

I think this is a very good idea. Otherwise you have to wait forever to find out what progress is being made for the gaming experience. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

6 Replies Related Threads

aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 17692
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re: Blizzard shares new Diablo IV details in quarterly developer update 2020/02/27 04:52:46 (permalink)
    They have borked up so much lately,... I have less than 15% bit of faith this will be good on release.
    Sorry to say .

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31005
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Blizzard shares new Diablo IV details in quarterly developer update 2020/02/27 10:42:59 (permalink)
    poor track record ... no delivery date yet .. might need some new leadership & talent

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

cneuhauser
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1334
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: Blizzard shares new Diablo IV details in quarterly developer update 2020/02/27 13:20:57 (permalink)
    aka_STEVE_b
    They have borked up so much lately,... I have less than 15% bit of faith this will be good on release.
    Sorry to say .

Same here... I have a feeling this is going to be one big dumpster fire. Unlike the post above I don't think any amount of leadership & talent can save them... it takes a lot of time and energy to correct a large ship like Blizzard. At this point they'd be better off breaking up, and developing independent smaller studios.

Entho Evolv Anthracite Grey
    ASUS ROG E-Gaming X299
    i7 9800x 4.8ghz on water (Cuplex Vision block) 
    EVGA RTX 2080 XC Ultra / Water / EK Block
    GSkill Trident Z - 32gig
    2x Samsung 1TB SSD Evo
    Intel SSD 730 Series 240GB 
    Windows 10 Ultimate  
    EVGA 1600 SuperNova T2 
    Samsung G7 Faker 32" 240hz monitor
    Asus ROG Swift PG329Q 175hz monitor
    SteelSeries Arctis Pro+DAC
    B&W 801s, Driven by Sumo Amp via DAC
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10103
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Blizzard shares new Diablo IV details in quarterly developer update 2020/02/27 18:23:26 (permalink)
    I have total faith in Blizzard still since even if it’s not good at launch they will listen to fans and fix it. Diablo 3 was a good example of that.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

knightsilver
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 9430
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: Blizzard shares new Diablo IV details in quarterly developer update 2020/02/28 10:39:26 (permalink)
    :Insert Dairy Queen Blizzard Image here:

No faith from me, at least EA half way tries....
    cneuhauser
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1334
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: Blizzard shares new Diablo IV details in quarterly developer update 2020/02/28 12:09:50 (permalink)
    Hoggle
    I have total faith in Blizzard still since even if it’s not good at launch they will listen to fans and fix it. Diablo 3 was a good example of that.

In my opinion DIII still fails to live up to expectations in regards to gameplay. They could have done soooo much with it, but just sat on their posterior and did a remake with enhanced graphics. The skill trees were dumbed down (we asked for more complexity and customization), they could have added in chain attacks & combos which really wasn't implemented save a few instances etc. The story was 'good' (not great), the locations were 'ok' if not somewhat overused (desert anyone?)...

Blizzard just wreaks of recycled material at this point, this is why they haven't come up with a truly original brand in over two (2) decades; overwatch is such a heap of reused battle royale assets; sorry it's weak and lacks imagination. Hell, I'd be happy if the refurbished "Rock & Roll Racing" and pushed that out to the marketplace, at least it wouldn't be a rinse and repeat brand like Wow or Diablo. The company just needs an influx of new blood and new ideas, otherwise they're destined to wallow in their on bed of fecal matter.

Entho Evolv Anthracite Grey
    ASUS ROG E-Gaming X299
    i7 9800x 4.8ghz on water (Cuplex Vision block) 
    EVGA RTX 2080 XC Ultra / Water / EK Block
    GSkill Trident Z - 32gig
    2x Samsung 1TB SSD Evo
    Intel SSD 730 Series 240GB 
    Windows 10 Ultimate  
    EVGA 1600 SuperNova T2 
    Samsung G7 Faker 32" 240hz monitor
    Asus ROG Swift PG329Q 175hz monitor
    SteelSeries Arctis Pro+DAC
    B&W 801s, Driven by Sumo Amp via DAC
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile