EVGA

Helpful ReplyAnyone have a Zxx teardown? Z20 specifically.

Author
lane_ftw
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/12/27 12:36:37 (permalink)
I want to remove the HIDEOUSLY ugly EVGA logo from the top of the board. Doesn't look like it does anything other than ruin the aesthetics of a pretty good looking board (besides the gamer font).
Also, thoughts on how best to black out the white "TOF SENSOR" text on the tof sensor?
Hoggle
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 10102
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: Anyone have a Zxx teardown? Z20 specifically. 2021/12/27 12:53:01 (permalink)
I haven't heard of any teardown but I did see a post about trying to replace the springs and after they got all the screws they could find removed they still didn't get it apart and thought possibly glue was used.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

tmaeller
  • Total Posts : 72
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: Anyone have a Zxx teardown? Z20 specifically. 2021/12/29 08:40:48 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby lane_ftw 2022/01/18 16:06:22
It's not a step-by-step tear-down, but this should help a little, including the warning provided. 

TechPowerup review

"I would go so far as to say that you should not disassemble it unless you absolutely need to, and if you do, follow my instructions over what these photos may suggest since I identified a potential issue too late during the disassembly myself."

I'd love to replace the Z20's ugly silver wart with the dark, less obtrusive wart from my Z12, but the hassle doesn't seem worth it.
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
  • Total Posts : 18917
  • Ribbons : 58
Re: Anyone have a Zxx teardown? Z20 specifically. 2021/12/31 10:52:10 (permalink)
lane_ftw
I want to remove the HIDEOUSLY ugly EVGA logo from the top of the board. Doesn't look like it does anything other than ruin the aesthetics of a pretty good looking board (besides the gamer font).
Also, thoughts on how best to black out the white "TOF SENSOR" text on the tof sensor?

Interestingly, the Z12 keyboard has a black EVGA logo on it rather than the silver one the Z15 and Z20 have, so on my Z15 I just took a black sharpie and colored it in lol. Black nail polish would probably give a more professional result. Same goes for the sensor label.

My Z15 with blacked out EVGA logo, pudding-style key caps, and cute arrow keys lol:

post edited by Nereus - 2021/12/31 11:15:33

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

lane_ftw
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Anyone have a Zxx teardown? Z20 specifically. 2022/01/18 14:49:34 (permalink)
tmaeller

I'd love to replace the Z20's ugly silver wart with the dark, less obtrusive wart from my Z12, but the hassle doesn't seem worth it.

Thanks, picture #3 is exactly what I was looking for. Looks like the logo isn't holding anything or doing anything. Unfortunate that there's a cutout in the top of the board to accommodate it, I really wanted to remove the "wart" (great name for it lol) and have the top of the board flat. Might still do it, maybe 3d print an insert for where the wart was to cover up the hole that would be there. Might just YOLO it and take the dremel to it so I don't have to take it apart. I'll post pics regardless.
Nereus

My Z15 with blacked out EVGA logo, pudding-style key caps, and cute arrow keys lol:

That actually looks better than I thought it would, if I end up being lazy this is probably the route I'll take. Cute arrow keys.
BTW Sharpie PRO markers give the blackest black of any permanent marker I've ever used, they're much more permanent than most others, and you don't end up with splotchyness that regular permanent markers end up with. Fair warning though, they STINK, though the smell doesn't stick around for more than a few hours at worst.

EDIT: I guess I can't post links?
post edited by lane_ftw - 2022/01/18 14:59:10
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile