Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102313
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2019/12/04 23:18:39 (permalink)
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/dell-amd-pcs-intel-cpu-shortage

That news title should come as a surprise to no one, and extends to most other PC makers who are affected by Intel's inability to keep up with demand on its 14 nm (+++++?) node. News of Intel's factories being outputting less than the entire professional and consumer markets are required has already been covered multiple times and in multiple ways. Sand steps Intel has taken to mitigate this issue whilst trying to solve its 10 nm execution woes range from moving chipset production up from its 14 nm nodes to 22 nm to free capacity, increase production capacity over the already installed one, and even outsource some of its silicon manufacturing to other players in the industry. However, these measures won't actually take effect in the availability equation in a heartbeat, and of course PC makers such as Dell, who has already revised its revenue forecast and placed the blame on Intel, are looking to alternatives.

Dell has already had some products based on AMD designs, but most of the company's lineups, irrespective of market, are based on Intel platforms. That they are considering AMD is obvious; all other makers are surely doing that, especially considering the overall value proposition from AMD CPUs. Dell CFO Tom Sweet, for one, told yahoo Finance that they are "Evaluating AMD" as a partner, and that they expect Intel's shortages to only by fixed by the second half of 2020.

So it still looks like Intel is months away from its CPU supply shortages. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

17 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31005
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Amidst Intel CPU Shortage Woes, Dell Reportedly Looking Into AMD Alternatives 2019/12/05 07:15:52 (permalink)
    Ramping up production in new plants is Never easy .... definitely an Oppertunity for AMD to Grab Market Share

Equipment Mfg Are the bottleneck in the process .... those chips do not make themselves

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 17692
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re: Amidst Intel CPU Shortage Woes, Dell Reportedly Looking Into AMD Alternatives 2019/12/05 07:26:17 (permalink)
    getting in late , means your last in line  - Good luck on that DELL 

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    atfrico
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 12753
    • Ribbons : 25
    Re: Amidst Intel CPU Shortage Woes, Dell Reportedly Looking Into AMD Alternatives 2019/12/05 07:56:42 (permalink)
    Told ya. 😎😁

Those who abuse power, are nothing but scumbags! The challenge of power is how to use it and not abuse it. The abuse of power that seems to create the most unhappiness is when a person uses personal power to get ahead without regards to the welfare of others, people are obsessed with it. You can take a nice person and turn them into a slob, into an insane being, craving power, destroying anything that stands in their way.

Affiliate Code: 3T15O1S07G
    Bobmitch
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8328
    • Ribbons : 47
    Re: Amidst Intel CPU Shortage Woes, Dell Reportedly Looking Into AMD Alternatives 2019/12/05 10:44:41 (permalink)
    aka_STEVE_b
    getting in late , means your last in line  - Good luck on that DELL 

Wouldn't be to sure about that.  I bet AMD does whatever it takes to bring Dell on board.  Imagine the damage AMD could do by having 33% of Dell's business go to them, instead of Intel.  Gonna cost Intel big if more companies decide to go both ways.  Certainly doesn't hurt HP...

MSI MAG X670-E Tomahawk;  Ryzen 7 7800X3D; Asus TUF RTX 4070 TI OC; Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 PSU; 32 GB  Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 RGB; Corsair iCue Link H150i RGB 360MM AIO; 2-Western Digital Black 4 TB SN850X NVMe; Creative SoundBlaster Z;  Lian Li Lancool III; EVGA Z15 Keyboard; Razer Viper 8K Mouse

Heatware:  http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=72402    Affiliate code: 1L2RV0BNQ6                                          
    Associate Code:  UD82LJP3Y1FIQPR

atfrico
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Amidst Intel CPU Shortage Woes, Dell Reportedly Looking Into AMD Alternatives 2019/12/05 10:47:27 (permalink)
    Evga is next to join Dell😁

Those who abuse power, are nothing but scumbags! The challenge of power is how to use it and not abuse it. The abuse of power that seems to create the most unhappiness is when a person uses personal power to get ahead without regards to the welfare of others, people are obsessed with it. You can take a nice person and turn them into a slob, into an insane being, craving power, destroying anything that stands in their way.

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: Amidst Intel CPU Shortage Woes, Dell Reportedly Looking Into AMD Alternatives 2019/12/05 12:34:44 (permalink)
    Doesn't look good for AMD when they can't pump out enough chips either so both of them are in the same boat and dell is pissed. lol  Maybe Dell is signaling for a better price opportunity, 'wink...wink...we're looking at you AMD' approach.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    atfrico
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Amidst Intel CPU Shortage Woes, Dell Reportedly Looking Into AMD Alternatives 2019/12/05 14:07:17 (permalink)
    When the demand is high i think the prices will be up

-Jinky-
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 309
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Amidst Intel CPU Shortage Woes, Dell Reportedly Looking Into AMD Alternatives 2019/12/05 14:35:48 (permalink)
    atfrico

AMD Classy - yes please 
    atfrico
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Amidst Intel CPU Shortage Woes, Dell Reportedly Looking Into AMD Alternatives 2019/12/05 14:37:08 (permalink)
    When the demand is high at low inventory the prices will be up.

atfrico
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Amidst Intel CPU Shortage Woes, Dell Reportedly Looking Into AMD Alternatives 2019/12/05 14:52:40 (permalink)
    -Jinky-
    atfrico

AMD Classy - yes please 

+1 😎👍

Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: Amidst Intel CPU Shortage Woes, Dell Reportedly Looking Into AMD Alternatives 2019/12/05 15:10:20 (permalink)
    atfrico

I doubt it. They have a formula that they've stuck to since the beginning with little change. I've always gotten the impression that EVGA has let Nvidia and Intel dictate to them in exchange for preferential treatment. It would take one of those entities imploding before EVGA would alter their existing preferences.
    post edited by Brad_Hawthorne - 2019/12/05 15:44:49
    atfrico
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Amidst Intel CPU Shortage Woes, Dell Reportedly Looking Into AMD Alternatives 2019/12/05 17:03:43 (permalink)
    Brad_Hawthorne
    atfrico

I doubt it. They have a formula that they've stuck to since the beginning with little change. I've always gotten the impression that EVGA has let Nvidia and Intel dictate to them in exchange for preferential treatment. It would take one of those entities imploding before EVGA would alter their existing preferences.

.   Come on Brad.....i dont see EVGA having Motherboards for a product that won't sell much for half of 2020. If DELL stated that half of 2020 Intel will be able to have CPUs to meet demand, that source came from Intel itself, because you can't make stuff like that. Having options for consumer demands is a win for not just the consumers but for the company itself. Intel broke part of its contract to DELL, and that is not supplying the amount of CPUs promised to DELL, as per the contract. Intel now put itself in a hole where it does not have a choice but to offer its CPUs to DELL at a lower price to keep its partnership to DELL. 
    In order to survive, EVGA needs to sell some AMD mobos again, trust me. I am saying again, EVGA will be selling AMD board again. 
    That is all...

post edited by atfrico - 2019/12/05 17:05:50

vegajf51
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 561
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Amidst Intel CPU Shortage Woes, Dell Reportedly Looking Into AMD Alternatives 2019/12/05 19:24:04 (permalink)
    GTXJackBauer
    Doesn't look good for AMD when they can't pump out enough chips either so both of them are in the same boat and dell is pissed. lol  Maybe Dell is signaling for a better price opportunity, 'wink...wink...we're looking at you AMD' approach.

To AMD's credit that is only the 7nm 3rd Gen Ryzen stuff, for laptops and OEM stuff 2nd Gen Ryzen APU's are what are most likely needed and they are still on 12nm Gloflo and they are very well in stock.
    Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Amidst Intel CPU Shortage Woes, Dell Reportedly Looking Into AMD Alternatives 2019/12/05 21:31:48 (permalink)
    atfrico
    Come on Brad.....i dont see EVGA having Motherboards for a product that won't sell much for half of 2020. If DELL stated that half of 2020 Intel will be able to have CPUs to meet demand, that source came from Intel itself, because you can't make stuff like that. Having options for consumer demands is a win for not just the consumers but for the company itself. Intel broke part of its contract to DELL, and that is not supplying the amount of CPUs promised to DELL, as per the contract. Intel now put itself in a hole where it does not have a choice but to offer its CPUs to DELL at a lower price to keep its partnership to DELL. 
    In order to survive, EVGA needs to sell some AMD mobos again, trust me. I am saying again, EVGA will be selling AMD board again. 
    That is all...

Eh, we will see I guess. This whole market is cyclical. It's not terminal for EVGA to stick to Intel. (but it sure wouldn't be my choice in 2020 at this rate). I wouldn't go so far as saying it'd eat my shoe if EVGA begins making AMD mobos again, but I just don't see it. Sure, I'd buy an EVGA AMD SR- (Super Record) series Zen based mobo, but also gotta look who is doing the designs for EVGA and who they have inside ties with at CPU manufacturers. I just don't see tin and kingpin pimping an EVGA AMD mobo anytime soon. It goes against everything we've seen so far in their marketing campaigns for the last two decades.
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: Amidst Intel CPU Shortage Woes, Dell Reportedly Looking Into AMD Alternatives 2019/12/06 01:02:43 (permalink)
    vegajf51
    GTXJackBauer

To AMD's credit that is only the 7nm 3rd Gen Ryzen stuff, for laptops and OEM stuff 2nd Gen Ryzen APU's are what are most likely needed and they are still on 12nm Gloflo and they are very well in stock.

Fair enough.  Thanks for that extra tidbit of info.

Brad_Hawthorne

I wouldn't go so far as saying it'd eat my shoe if EVGA begins making AMD mobos again, but... 

I know someone who would though but I'm not naming any names.  

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Amidst Intel CPU Shortage Woes, Dell Reportedly Looking Into AMD Alternatives 2019/12/06 01:57:38 (permalink)

atfrico
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Amidst Intel CPU Shortage Woes, Dell Reportedly Looking Into AMD Alternatives 2019/12/06 05:11:38 (permalink)
    😒...i heard it has lots of fiber🤣🤣

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile