Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102360
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 85
2019/05/22 09:46:10 (permalink)
https://www.techpowerup.com/255835/arm-revokes-huaweis-chip-ip-licence

UK based ARM Holdings, the provider of mobile chip IP for nearly all smartphones and tablets, has revoked the license it has given Huawei.

According to the BBC, ARM Holdings employees were instructed to suspend all interactions with Huawei, and to send a note informing Huawei that "due to an unfortunate situation, they were not allowed to provide support, deliver technology (whether software, code, or other updates), engage in technical discussions, or otherwise discuss technical matters with Huawei, HiSilicon or any of the other named entities." The news came from an internal ARM document the BBC has obtained. 

It looks like some of the ARM tech comes from the USA which is the reason ARM has cancelled Huawei's license. Android depends a lot on ARM that Huawei uses which limits what they can do. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

4 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31012
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: ARM Revokes Huawei's Chip IP Licence 2019/05/22 12:49:40 (permalink)
    OK

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

MasterMiner
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 713
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: ARM Revokes Huawei's Chip IP Licence 2019/05/22 14:17:56 (permalink)
    Well then, I’m sure China will immediately cease and desist from any further production of ARM based chips (sarcasm intended).

These are desperate moves that shouldn’t give anyone a warm and fuzzy feeling. Something tells me very bad news is being hidden.

Whatever pretense China had made to adhere to intellectual property now goes bye bye. Then what? Does America arrest 1/2 the worlds population that will continue to buy and use Huawei regardless.

This could be the end of both intellectual property and the USD in one fell swoop. Tomorrow we will all wake up in a world where most of the worlds physical manufacturing infrastructure is still in... China.

Then what?
    post edited by MasterMiner - 2019/05/22 14:31:19

I used to mine. Now I compute.
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10105
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: ARM Revokes Huawei's Chip IP Licence 2019/05/22 14:41:20 (permalink)
    If China is stealing trade secrets this will be a move that will make them act on it. With a large company like this it would cost some very rich people a lot if they go bankrupt because of licensing conflicts.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: ARM Revokes Huawei's Chip IP Licence 2019/05/22 20:33:25 (permalink)
    Don't underestimate the US's hands as they are dealing the cards.  Just eat your popcorn and watch the show.  Sure we might sacrifice a few things to get things back on track.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile