EVGA

A satirical look inside Tensor cores, and how they process DLSS!

Author
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 79
2019/02/17 19:50:40 (permalink)
Before anyone gets upset, I am making this post just for fun.  This is NOT a real look into the way tensor cores work.  I am just here to make fun of NVidia for a few minutes.  Yes, I placed this in the Gaming section, because DLSS and NVidia are all about gaming.  If anyone wants me to move this to the General Discussion forum, I absolutely will. Also, be aware that forum limitations will shrink all of the pictures to the same size. Each image is hotlinked so you are able to see them in full resolution. This is the same technique that NVidia used when UL Benchmarks introduced the Port Royal DLSS Demo.

I wanted to do a really good look into how Tensor Cores render the image for DLSS and I did a lot of research. I haven't quite figured out RTX, so I won't go into that, but NVidia has really been driving DLSS as this revolutionary anti-aliasing process that is going to change how 4k gaming works.  Now, the image I found wasn't at 4k, so I had to make do with what I could. 

At this point, we know that Jensen Huang stood on stage and pushed DLSS as the next revolution in anti-aliaising, but he didn't go into the specifics because.. well.. why would any CEO start by telling you his company is working on a way to remove nearly/over half of your pixels from the image in favor of a few more FPS?  He wouldn't even show FPS numbers, or full speed game play of the games he had on stage that day, so it all seemed a little strange. At this point, we know Digital Foundry did their deep dive into DLSS with FFXV (YouTube) and showed that when DLSS is used, the image is actually scaled from 4k down to 1440p, then upscaled and reconstructed back to 4k. Well, after tons of research, I have found the answer to DLSS.  

With all of the research I could possibly conjure up, what I found was very interesting.  Take this image for example (again, note that the forum software is making all of the images the same size):

This image is intended for 1080p, with DLSS enabled.  The image is actually 954x633, so just under half the resolution that it is intended for.  In total, 603,882 pixels are rendered.  1920x1080 renders in 2,073,600 pixels, so the performance gain from rendering less than a third of the pixels will be massive, but how does it work? Let me show you!

Once the native resolution is diagnosed, and DLSS is enabled, the tensor cores open the image in Microsoft Paint.  Yes, that old program most people completely ignore.. this is why windows 10 version 1809 was required, they loaded a new version of paint, even though it looks exactly the same.  I pulled this image directly from the tensor core cache to show it to you, since NVidia hasn't shown you before:

Once the Tensor cores load the image into Microsoft Paint, the magic happens.  The Tensor cores expand the image to 200%, making it grainy, but remember, you are rendering 603,882 pixels, not the traditional 2,073,600, so when the image is upscaled and reconstructed, the Tensor cores really hit the gym and start working.  Here is the upscaled image directly from the tensor core cache:

After the image is upscaled, you will noticeably see some grainy texture to the image, due to quality loss.  Now the Tensor cores MUST apply some "anti-aliasing".  At this point, they open an nvidia proprietary smudge tool to blend the missing pixels with the rendered pixels which is why you were required to download the newest driver 418.91, they didn't want this trade secret getting out, so I had to sign some paperwork promising not to show the actual tool itself.  Once the proprietary tool is utilized, the image is finally displayed back to your monitor in all of the DLSS glory!  Unfortunately, I was only able to pull the image from the tensor core cache to show you, so I don't have the final rendered image without paint available, but here is the final pristine image from the cache: 

That is right!!! 1080p DLSS in all of it's glory! 

I hope you have all enjoyed this in depth look into how DLSS works.  Hopefully you are pleased with the final image, because like NVidia has told the consumer in the last few days, you can have high resolution, crisp images, and lowered performance, or you can have lower resolutions, blurry images, and better performance.. You can have one or the other, but you can't have both.

9 Replies Related Threads

atfrico
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 12753
    • Ribbons : 25
    Re: A satirical look inside Tensor cores, and how they process DLSS! 2019/02/17 20:07:17 (permalink)

Those who abuse power, are nothing but scumbags! The challenge of power is how to use it and not abuse it. The abuse of power that seems to create the most unhappiness is when a person uses personal power to get ahead without regards to the welfare of others, people are obsessed with it. You can take a nice person and turn them into a slob, into an insane being, craving power, destroying anything that stands in their way.

Affiliate Code: 3T15O1S07G
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: A satirical look inside Tensor cores, and how they process DLSS! 2019/02/18 05:38:22 (permalink)
    Lol
    aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 17692
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re: A satirical look inside Tensor cores, and how they process DLSS! 2019/02/18 08:35:45 (permalink)
    You guys just aren't looking at it correctly.....

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: A satirical look inside Tensor cores, and how they process DLSS! 2019/02/18 09:30:27 (permalink)
    aka_STEVE_b

Oh, the main character needs glasses to see everything properly!!!! That makes sense. DLSS on is essentially glass off, RTX on. And DLSS is glasses on, RTX FPS low!

Makes way more sense!

LoL!
    Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: A satirical look inside Tensor cores, and how they process DLSS! 2019/02/18 10:46:08 (permalink)
    aka_STEVE_b

Ah, so it needs Nvidia 3D Vision Kit to properly view it? lul
    Killmur
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5311
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: A satirical look inside Tensor cores, and how they process DLSS! 2019/02/18 12:30:52 (permalink)
    Hey at least you can still see the image without wanting to throw up unlike that motion blur garbage.

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: A satirical look inside Tensor cores, and how they process DLSS! 2019/02/18 12:33:10 (permalink)
    Lol @ the blur.
    Spongebob28
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 317
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: A satirical look inside Tensor cores, and how they process DLSS! 2019/02/18 18:08:02 (permalink)

Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: A satirical look inside Tensor cores, and how they process DLSS! 2019/02/19 19:07:25 (permalink)

That's not blur, that's Nvidia's Tensor core AI at work. Shame those that can't see it's greatness. It even cooked me breakfast afterwards. 
    post edited by Brad_Hawthorne - 2019/02/19 19:13:47
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile