disturbedfuel15
  • Total Posts : 43
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2021/09/27 16:13:06 (permalink)
Asrock phantom gaming 9 z390
i7-9700k
EVGA G3 850 gold

Got my 3090 Kingpin hybrid about a month ago and immediately swapped the stock cooler for the hydrocopper. It took some time for parts to come in that I didn't anticipate for the my 2nd hardline WC loop, but I got it all finished up a few days ago. I even got the 3090 installed vertically so you can see her sexy underside! Booted the computer up, no graphics card detected. I've heard about people with vertical GPUs having to explicitly set the pcie link speed to gen3 in the BIOS, so I did that to no avail (I don't have a gen4 option anyway). Updated to the latest BIOS to no avail. Then I remembered I bought the vertical kit warehouse refurbished, so maybe the guy before me had problems with it too.

Drain the loop, tear it apart, install the card horizontally (standard), rebuild the loop, fill the loop, 24 hour leak test, boot up and!!!......still not detected. Nothing other than onboard graphics is detected. The card looks like it should be working- the mini-display screen is showing stats, EVGA logo, etc...

I'm out of ideas, guys. I figured I'd come here before opening a ticket with EVGA. Here are my final thoughts on what could be going on:
1) Card is bad
2) Motherboard is bad (Although I'm using it right now with the processor's onboard graphics)
3) Power supply is not enough (again, EVGA G3 850, I guess I'd be surprised but this feels most likely??)

A little help for this pleb just trying to use his 3090 kingpin that was delivered a month ago...?
I appreciate it a ton!

P.S.
For some reason, I had to rebuild the boot configuration data on my primary hard drive the first time I booted the pc up after the card was installed and I had to move a couple SATA ports because two hard drives (out of 5) suddenly weren't recognized. Who knows, it could be related to this.
post edited by disturbedfuel15 - 2021/09/27 16:46:12

☜☜ Buy Stuff!
...and/or...
☜☜ Win Stuff! 
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 31005
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: 3090 KP Not Recognized... 2021/09/27 17:37:52 (permalink)
Sorry to see it is being a frustrating experience

did you turn off fast boot in BIOS ?

Can you "see" the GPU in BIOS ?

did you turn off fast startup in W10 ?

It is not exactly clear in your post .... did you "test" the new KP before changing to the new WB ?

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

disturbedfuel15
Re: 3090 KP Not Recognized... 2021/09/27 17:52:50 (permalink)
Fast boot is off in the bios.

I don't believe there is a way to see the graphics card in the bios.

No other fast boot/startup things are enabled.

I didn't test the card before swapping the hydrocopper block, no.

Thanks for your reply.

☜☜ Buy Stuff!
...and/or...
☜☜ Win Stuff! 
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: 3090 KP Not Recognized... 2021/09/27 17:58:19 (permalink)
OK,

1) Your CPU  i7-9700K Processor has a iGPU - Intel® UHD Graphics 630   ... Use the MB Asrock phantom gaming 9 z390 video port to connect your monitor .. so you can open & see the BIOS screen

2) Do you have a "second GPU" to install at the same time / with the KP ?

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

arestavo
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6916
  • Ribbons : 76
Re: 3090 KP Not Recognized... 2021/09/27 19:12:21 (permalink)
First, if it's possible to test it in a different PC, even if it's just to see if the card can POST, will help you narrow things down.

And since you're going to have to put the Kingpin back to stock configuration in order to RMA it if it is indeed bad, maybe saving some time and putting it back to stock to test might be a good idea? I've read of some instances where a waterblock wasn't installed quite right (perhaps too much torque, causing an issue), but otherwise the card was fine after putting it back to stock.
disturbedfuel15
Re: 3090 KP Not Recognized... 2021/09/27 19:51:14 (permalink)
I'm sorry for the confusion. I have been using the on board graphics from the processor with the motherboard. I am able to get into the bios, I simply don't believe there is anywhere in the bios where you can view any gpu information.

The only other gpu I have is a waterblock 2080ti that I was using right before I switched to this, so no plug and play options there.

I don't have another pc to test it in, and it's very unfortunate with custom loops because you can't simply put it in another pc. I can't test it without it being hooked up to a loop. I believe you aren't supposed to start it up at all without active cooling.

That being said, if it comes to rma time, of course I'll give it a go right before packaging it up and mailing it. That's a good idea.

Next move is probably going to be a brand new power supply unless someone else can think of some troubleshooting I haven't tried.

Thanks for the responses, I appreciate it.
post edited by disturbedfuel15 - 2021/09/27 19:52:26

☜☜ Buy Stuff!
...and/or...
☜☜ Win Stuff! 
homestyle
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 228
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: 3090 KP Not Recognized... 2021/09/27 21:00:58 (permalink)
look in the motherboard bios for an option that tells the system to use pci express graphics.

It might look like an option to disable onboard video graphics.
Derren001
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 171
Re: 3090 KP Not Recognized... 2021/09/27 22:09:57 (permalink)
Yeah there should be a page that shows what is plugged into the PCIe slots.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k
Mobo:ASUS Maximus VIII Hero
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra
Storage: 500GB Western Digital Blue, 250GB Samsung 850 Evo, 1TB Samsung 840 Evo, 4TB Seagate Ironwolf Pro
Soundcard: Sound Blaster Z Series
PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000 P2

disturbedfuel15
Re: 3090 KP Not Recognized... 2021/09/28 01:39:04 (permalink)
I still don't see anywhere in the bios where it shows what is plugged into pcie slots. I'm not sure it exists but my wife always finds things I could have swore weren't there. I'll look a hundred times though because it's better than tearing everything down again!

Something to consider- I was running a 2080ti before this and a 1080ti before that in this motherboard. I never touched the on board graphics settings. That being said, there are two options in the bios related to this:
-"primary graphics adapter" is set to 'pci express'
-"turn off on board graphics when pci express is detected" is 'disabled.' I've never had that enabled because if the graphics card pooped, I wanted a way into the bios.
Thanks for the continued suggestions!

☜☜ Buy Stuff!
...and/or...
☜☜ Win Stuff! 
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: 3090 KP Not Recognized... 2021/09/28 02:59:08 (permalink)
Can you get into Windows -OR- are you getting a Black screen ?

Did you load Nvidia driver for you KP ?

Even without SLI ---> TEST ---> connect the auxiliary power source to the PCI Express graphics cards - Port on MB - manual page 21

Clear CMOS = ck your MB manual on how to do that

You mention having 3 different generations of GPU in that MB.... I've had it happen that until CMOS was cleared the new card was not seen

Your MB - (should) have a  (Manual in the link to right) BIOS page that shows you what is "seen by the MB" in the PCIe slots .... & you can select PCIe 3.0 or Auto --> try Both .........look @ page 80

---> OK, that is not the best manual - seems to "skip a lot"

Dr. Debug is used to provide code information = what Code is showing ? (manual page 29)

Your learning the hard lesson --> Always test a card with the stock cooler before replacing it.  Then you would have said - well the card worked / did not work ... before building the loop.

Could "something" be grounding out - or - damaged - by the new water block install --> Yes

Are you are using 3 separate PCIe power connections on your KP ? --- All power sockets on 3090 KP populated ?

Confirm All power cords are - Fully Inserted & locked - both @ KP end & PSU end
                                                      ONLY use power cables that came With the PSU

ANY --- LEDs on the KP light up ?

Going into the BIOS screen does not use "much" GPU power - therefore not much heat is generated

OuterVision Power Supply Calculator

I had to make "some guesses about your build ....RAM / number  of fans (6 - 120mm was used)

No ---OC on CPU .... so if you are not stock setting .. you will need more power

Choice of "stock Nvidia 3090" --so, I customized the settings

Core Clock   2128 MHz
Overvoltage  20 %
Memory Clock  1319 MHz

Result:

Load Wattage: 841 W
Recommended UPS rating: 1500 VA
Recommended PSU Wattage: 891 W

Personally I'd look at the EVGA P2 1200W PSU ...... though depending on your OC targets a 1000W should "work"

HOWEVER - you should be able to boot to BIOS & get a signal from the KP with your current 850W PSU

(EVGA FAQ) How do I test my power supply? 

Triple check all power connections, case / sound connections & any jumpers on MB that could have been "bumped" while doing your work

IF your MB has the ability to "switch off the PCIe slot" then you could Test without actually removing the KP from your hard line loop

Test with a backup (new or know good) KB & mouse .... it happens....

Shraf2k
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 154
Re: 3090 KP Not Recognized... 2021/09/28 03:34:19 (permalink)
Download DDU and wipe all Nvidia drivers. Your power supply is plenty to fire up the kingpin.
zippytek
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1185
  • Ribbons : 9
Re: 3090 KP Not Recognized... 2021/09/28 06:33:56 (permalink)
Do you have a newer motherboard you could try it in? This seems like a bios issue to me but that board especially looks like it is causing you trouble

safan80
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 322
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: 3090 KP Not Recognized... 2021/09/28 09:50:12 (permalink)
Did you test the card before you put on the hydrocopper? This should always been step one with any video card before installing any water block. 
Have you tried to plug the card directly into the motherboard ruling out the riser?

What all do you have plugged into the power supply? I would just try basic post setup with only cpu-motherboard-ram and video card.
RAV-Daarken
  • Total Posts : 25
Re: 3090 KP Not Recognized... 2021/09/28 10:00:39 (permalink)
Another thing to look at is the PCIE express cable you are using to vertical mount the Kingpin.
What brand is it?
Is it seated properly?

Intel i9-11900K
eVGA Z590 FTW WiFi
eVGA 3090 Kingpin Hybrid
eVGA NU Audio Pro
eVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G6
eVGA Z20 Keyboard
eVGA X20 Wireless Mouse
eVGA XR1
eVGA CLC 360
Samsung 980 Pro 2TB/950 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD / 850 Pro 512GB / 840 Evo 500GB / 870 EVO 1TB
redteamgo
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 798
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: 3090 KP Not Recognized... 2021/09/28 11:53:20 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby disturbedfuel15 2021/10/01 17:03:50
I saw you went back to horizontal but if you pop your old card back into the PCIE slot does it boot/post? If so, time to convert back to hybrid to test that… if that fails, RMA is in your future. The hydrocopper conversion is very straight forward though, I doubt it’s a short especially since the card screen and OLED are powering. Do you mind checking what rev is on your PCB ? Also If you do have to RMA definitely test the card as a hybrid for a week or two before converting.

If it was power or voltage, power warnings will appear on the OLED if the power is not connected properly.

850w should be plenty to post.

However , 850 is low for the KP in day to day usage. You might have a brown out mid game at peak power usage once you get going tbh. Mine pulls 500w easy in gaming. Intel cpu pulls another 180-225w, pump, 8 fans, rgb lights and then plus everything else , drives , etc. you’re right at 800w under load…. If you want to load the big boy bios you will need a 1200w, maybe 1500w

Good luck, might need an RMA but all will be well.
post edited by redteamgo - 2021/09/28 11:56:27

CPU:     Intel 12900K EK 1700 Quantum Mag Acetel
GPU:     EVGA 3090 KPHC
MB:      EVGA Z690 Dark
PSU:     EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 P+
Memory:  G.SKILL Z5 6600mhz XMP3
NVME:    Samsung 980 Pro Gen 4 1TB, Gen 3 970 1TB
Cooling: MO-RA3 420 P/P 8x200mm Noctua HS PWM, Dual D5
Case:    Fractal Design Define 7

MOD Rigs!!!
disturbedfuel15
Re: 3090 KP Not Recognized... 2021/09/28 14:39:21 (permalink)
Wow guys, you're all great.  I really do appreciate all of the help!

I just got done with adulting, aka putting in 8 hrs, mowing the lawn, etc so now I've got a couple hours until dinner to start from the top down and report back.

Great community.
Thanks.

P.S. One thing I saw that was said is I should have tested the kingpin hybrid before swapping to hydrocopper.  I don't see how that is possible with a custom loop.  Perhaps with a riser cable routed to the outside of the pc, kind of like miners do?  Otherwise, I'd have to remove the old gpu from the custom loop, make the loop CPU only, and then install the hybrid to see if it worked.  If that worked, install the hydrocopper, undo the loop, add the hydrocopper into the loop.
post edited by disturbedfuel15 - 2021/09/28 14:42:42

☜☜ Buy Stuff!
...and/or...
☜☜ Win Stuff! 
redteamgo
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 798
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: 3090 KP Not Recognized... 2021/09/28 15:06:43 (permalink)
disturbedfuel15
P.S. One thing I saw that was said is I should have tested the kingpin hybrid before swapping to hydrocopper.  I don't see how that is possible with a custom loop.  Perhaps with a riser cable routed to the outside of the pc, kind of like miners do?  Otherwise, I'd have to remove the old gpu from the custom loop, make the loop CPU only, and then install the hybrid to see if it worked.  If that worked, install the hydrocopper, undo the loop, add the hydrocopper into the loop.

FWIW, that is exactly what I did, it is a total chore.  I didn't want to introduce the riser cable variable out of the gate.  I also left it as hybrid for two weeks.. just to get comfortable that the card was performing and baseline it.  Your call in the end.  Good luck dude.

CPU:     Intel 12900K EK 1700 Quantum Mag Acetel
GPU:     EVGA 3090 KPHC
MB:      EVGA Z690 Dark
PSU:     EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 P+
Memory:  G.SKILL Z5 6600mhz XMP3
NVME:    Samsung 980 Pro Gen 4 1TB, Gen 3 970 1TB
Cooling: MO-RA3 420 P/P 8x200mm Noctua HS PWM, Dual D5
Case:    Fractal Design Define 7

MOD Rigs!!!
disturbedfuel15
Re: 3090 KP Not Recognized... 2021/09/28 15:53:33 (permalink)
Cool GTX
Can you get into Windows -OR- are you getting a Black screen ?

*I can get into Windows. I'm in there right now typing this with the onboard graphics.
Cool GTX
Did you load Nvidia driver for you KP ?

*I tried, and it said no graphics card was detected.
*I used DDU in safe mode as well.
Cool GTX
Even without SLI ---> TEST ---> connect the auxiliary power source to the PCI Express graphics cards - Port on MB - manual page 21
Clear CMOS = ck your MB manual on how to do that
You mention having 3 different generations of GPU in that MB.... I've had it happen that until CMOS was cleared the new card was not seen

*Used the jumper, cleared the CMOS, no dice.
Cool GTX
Your MB - (should) have a (Manual in the link to right) BIOS page that shows you what is "seen by the MB" in the PCIe slots .... & you can select PCIe 3.0 or Auto --> try Both .........look @ page 80
---> OK, that is not the best manual - seems to "skip a lot"
Dr. Debug is used to provide code information = what Code is showing ? (manual page 29)

*Dr. Debug is showing A6- a general SATA issue. This is more than likely what I was talking about in my original post with the storage woes. Anyway, not a GPU code, but it is a code to look into.
Cool GTX
Are you are using 3 separate PCIe power connections on your KP ? --- All power sockets on 3090 KP populated ?

*Yes, three separate PCIe power connections, three separate wires, all three power sockets populated.
Cool GTX
Confirm All power cords are - Fully Inserted & locked - both @ KP end & PSU end
ONLY use power cables that came With the PSU
ANY --- LEDs on the KP light up ?

*Yes, the screen is displayed, it shows voltage, temp, etc. "Kingpin" LED logo is glowing on the side.
*I've also got a fresh batch of stock cables coming in this week I'll swap out. I am however using the stock cables, I just individually sleeved them two builds ago.
Cool GTX
Going into the BIOS screen does not use "much" GPU power - therefore not much heat is generated

*I appreciate that, I just really don't want to risk it by not having some sort of active cooling going.
Cool GTX
OuterVision Power Supply Calculator
I had to make "some guesses about your build ....RAM / number of fans (6 - 120mm was used)
No ---OC on CPU .... so if you are not stock setting .. you will need more power
Choice of "stock Nvidia 3090" --so, I customized the settings
Core Clock 2128 MHz
Overvoltage 20 %
Memory Clock 1319 MHz
Result:
Load Wattage: 841 W
Recommended UPS rating: 1500 VA
Recommended PSU Wattage: 891 W
Personally I'd look at the EVGA P2 1200W PSU ...... though depending on your OC targets a 1000W should "work"

*I re-did that calculator so it is accurate for my setup (14 fans, d5 pump, 6 drives, etc) https://outervision.com/b/mSWGvG
*Load Wattage:956 W
*Recommended UPS rating:1750 VA
*Recommended PSU Wattage:1006 W
*Now I really feel like it is my power supply, but for the sake of troubleshooting, I'll continue on with other's suggestions.  Thanks a lot, it really means a lot to me that you put all that together for me.

☜☜ Buy Stuff!
...and/or...
☜☜ Win Stuff! 
homestyle
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 228
Re: 3090 KP Not Recognized... 2021/09/28 16:35:12 (permalink)
disturbedfuel15
I still don't see anywhere in the bios where it shows what is plugged into pcie slots. I'm not sure it exists but my wife always finds things I could have swore weren't there. I'll look a hundred times though because it's better than tearing everything down again!

Something to consider- I was running a 2080ti before this and a 1080ti before that in this motherboard. I never touched the on board graphics settings. That being said, there are two options in the bios related to this:
-"primary graphics adapter" is set to 'pci express'
-"turn off on board graphics when pci express is detected" is 'disabled.' I've never had that enabled because if the graphics card pooped, I wanted a way into the bios.
Thanks for the continued suggestions!

You could try to enable this option and force the motherboard to use pci express graphics. I have had a system a few weeks ago that was giving my trouble until I turned off onboard graphics. You should save your current settings by writing them down and saving them in a save bios slot if your board supports it. Because if you disable onboard graphics and the card is doa, you will need to clear cmos to get into the bios to change the setting again. Also, make sure you have no monitor plugs in the onboard graphics ports.

PS. My 3090 kingpin hybrid arrived in the mail today. I will be setting up my system now.
post edited by homestyle - 2021/09/28 16:37:44
disturbedfuel15
Re: 3090 KP Not Recognized... 2021/09/28 16:43:02 (permalink)
Shraf2k
Download DDU and wipe all Nvidia drivers. Your power supply is plenty to fire up the kingpin.

*No dice, DDU in safe mode didn't do a thing :(
zippytek
Do you have a newer motherboard you could try it in? This seems like a bios issue to me but that board especially looks like it is causing you trouble

*I don't unfortunately, but the motherboard will probably be the next thing I try replacing if the power supply doesn't do it.
safan80
Did you test the card before you put on the hydrocopper? This should always been step one with any video card before installing any water block. 
Have you tried to plug the card directly into the motherboard ruling out the riser?
What all do you have plugged into the power supply? I would just try basic post setup with only cpu-motherboard-ram and video card.

*Yes, I currently have it horizontally, without a riser.
*I just tried cpu ram video card, no dice.

RAV-Daarken
Another thing to look at is the PCIE express cable you are using to vertical mount the Kingpin.
What brand is it?
Is it seated properly?

*It's seated properly, it's lian li, and I've since removed it from the equation with no luck.

redteamgo
I saw you went back to horizontal but if you pop your old card back into the PCIE slot does it boot/post? If so, time to convert back to hybrid to test that… if that fails, RMA is in your future. The hydrocopper conversion is very straight forward though, I doubt it’s a short especially since the card screen and OLED are powering. Do you mind checking what rev is on your PCB ? Also If you do have to RMA definitely test the card as a hybrid for a week or two before converting.
If it was power or voltage, power warnings will appear on the OLED if the power is not connected properly.
850w should be plenty to post.
However , 850 is low for the KP in day to day usage. You might have a brown out mid game at peak power usage once you get going tbh. Mine pulls 500w easy in gaming. Intel cpu pulls another 180-225w, pump, 8 fans, rgb lights and then plus everything else , drives , etc. you’re right at 800w under load…. If you want to load the big boy bios you will need a 1200w, maybe 1500w

Good luck, might need an RMA but all will be well.

FWIW, that is exactly what I did, it is a total chore.  I didn't want to introduce the riser cable variable out of the gate.  I also left it as hybrid for two weeks.. just to get comfortable that the card was performing and baseline it.  Your call in the end.  Good luck dude.

*I completely redid my loop and added another radiator so going back to the old card would require a new loop.  I guess I can order more hard tubing, make new bends, and get the old card back into the equation to be sure the motherboard isn't the problem.  Man, what a PITA but what can I do.
*Are you using soft tubing?  If you redid a hard tubing loop simply to test a GPU, you are more patient than I am.  Kudos to you and thanks for your help/input.

☜☜ Buy Stuff!
...and/or...
☜☜ Win Stuff! 
disturbedfuel15
Re: 3090 KP Not Recognized... 2021/09/28 16:47:20 (permalink)
I guess my next step is to try a new power supply.  Redoing a hardline loop to accommodate my old graphics card which I'm going to be selling as soon as I get this working is truly a PITA, but I'll do it if it comes down to thinking the motherboard is the culprit.  In the order of operations, I'd say swapping the motherboard is down there about dead last, so I'm going to try everything else first.

Well, thanks thus far guys, truly. 

☜☜ Buy Stuff!
...and/or...
☜☜ Win Stuff! 
disturbedfuel15
Re: 3090 KP Not Recognized... 2021/09/29 08:51:12 (permalink)
I've got a corsair hx1200 platinum coming in (love evga but corsair has a mad discount on it right now for 250usd). I've also got a new motherboard coming in just in case. What a journey. Someday I'll get back to gaming. I'll update again after things come in or I find something out.

Hope you all have a great rest of your week. Take care!

☜☜ Buy Stuff!
...and/or...
☜☜ Win Stuff! 
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: 3090 KP Not Recognized... 2021/09/29 14:00:45 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby disturbedfuel15 2021/09/29 16:59:24
soft tubing is your friend for testing your loop or doing patch work.  Just Buy a couple of barbed adapters & hose clamps

All of my loops are soft tubing ... sure hard line does look better

jaredbyoung
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 465
Re: 3090 KP Not Recognized... 2021/09/29 16:17:02 (permalink)
I just want to ask a sanity check question.

Obviously you're plugging into the MB graphics out HDMI/DP when using the integrated graphics for troubleshooting. But when you're testing the 3090 you're plugging your display cable into the graphics card, right?

It was already mentioned but I wasn't clear on if you tried to disable onboard graphics? I would recommend trying that.

And yeah, I'd order a few fittings for soft tubing that would make this process easier. You don't have to tear out the entire hard tube loop, just put soft tubing in where needed to test the old card.
kraade
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2369
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: 3090 KP Not Recognized... 2021/09/29 16:20:00 (permalink)
A power bigger power supply wont make it post, but if you had a bad cable on one of the 8 pins it would keep it from posting, an 850w will light it up, but good luck when you get your parts and you will hopefully eliminate your problem.
disturbedfuel15
Re: 3090 KP Not Recognized... 2021/09/29 17:04:52 (permalink)
jaredbyoung
I just want to ask a sanity check question.

Obviously you're plugging into the MB graphics out HDMI/DP when using the integrated graphics for troubleshooting. But when you're testing the 3090 you're plugging your display cable into the graphics card, right?

It was already mentioned but I wasn't clear on if you tried to disable onboard graphics? I would recommend trying that.

And yeah, I'd order a few fittings for soft tubing that would make this process easier. You don't have to tear out the entire hard tube loop, just put soft tubing in where needed to test the old card.

Yessir, the funny thing is when I plug in the display port cable, the monitor goes "Ah, a new connection has been detected.  Switch to it?" and then it's just black.  Something wonky is going on here, and I'm thinking more and more it could be the motherboard.  The way I had to move SATA cables from where they were previously working fine didn't seem right.  Then also I had to rebuild the BCD for my boot drive?  Sure, the drive could be to blame there but if the motherboard is having intermittent problems, am I wrong in saying literally ANYTHING could happen?  It is the center for all components to talk to each other after all.
I did try disabling the onboard graphics today and it made no difference.  I hadn't done it before in fear I'd have to clear my CMOS and lose all the overclocking settings, but seeing as how I did that earlier (whoops!) it was no big deal to try.

Can't wait to come back and tell ya guys what was wrong.  I still hope it's not the card to be honest.  I'd be sad if a top of the line card was a dud!  Very much so like waiting 6 months for your ferrari to show up and then it arrives with a blown head gasket.
post edited by disturbedfuel15 - 2021/09/29 17:06:02

☜☜ Buy Stuff!
...and/or...
☜☜ Win Stuff! 
disturbedfuel15
Re: 3090 KP Not Recognized... 2021/10/01 15:33:26 (permalink)
Well I've got real bummer news- I put my old 2080ti back in its place and it was immediately recognized.

I tried swapping out the power cables too, as I got some new ones in the mail today.  That didn't make a difference.  I tried plugging the third VGA cord into a 4th "VGA" socket on the PSU (it has four).  Nothing.  I think it's time for an RMA unfortunately.  I'm going to start putting the hybrid AIO back on right now.  Of course, I'll try it one more time once the AIO is installed.

I guess I could have a right to be pissed off but stuff happening is just part of life. Do they test these before they box them up, does anybody know?

Good news is, I don't have to swap out my motherboard for an inferior one!  Save some mula too.

Hope everyone has a great Friday!

☜☜ Buy Stuff!
...and/or...
☜☜ Win Stuff! 
disturbedfuel15
Re: 3090 KP Not Recognized... 2021/10/01 17:05:52 (permalink)
redteamgo
Do you mind checking what rev is on your PCB ?

Forgot to tell ya- EVGA223 REV 0.2

☜☜ Buy Stuff!
...and/or...
☜☜ Win Stuff! 
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: 3090 KP Not Recognized... 2021/10/01 18:24:07 (permalink)
Hope your RMA is a speedy one ... or the Card works after the Hybrid is reinstalled

GL

Nozler
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2043
Re: 3090 KP Not Recognized... 2021/10/01 20:51:37 (permalink)
Just curious what do you see in device manager and did you try a new cable
from the gpu to the monitor I've had some issues there in the past

heatware

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile