EVGA

Helpful Reply3090 FTW3 Ultra Uneven Power Draw Across 8-pin cables?

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
Turbo-12R
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 130
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Flagged as Spam (1)
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Uneven Power Draw Across 8-pin cables? 2021/02/14 08:35:49 (permalink)
ty_ger07
The vast majority are using three separate cables, and no, it's not something that they are doing wrong. The cards which have this problem, have this problem, and there is no official way to fix it. See page 1 where we just got done discussing this line of thinking.

I still am not understanding why you are a part of this conversation when you don't even have the GPU in question...other than attempting to tarnish a company's reputation.  It's actually pretty ridiculous.

Thermaltake Level 20HT
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16 Core
Thermaltake Pacific MX1 Plus Water Block
Gigabyte Aorus Master X570
32 GB G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series DDR4 3600
2x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVMe
1x Seagate Firecuda 520 2TB NVMe
TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta MAX RGB SSD 1TB
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA w/EKWB
Dual Thermaltake PR22-D5 Pumps
Dual Thermaltake Pacific CL360 64mm Rads
EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2, 80+ PLATINUM 1200W
MSI OPTIX MPG341CQR
MDG73
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 103
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Uneven Power Draw Across 8-pin cables? 2021/02/14 09:53:10 (permalink)
kraade
Are you replying to me? If so, don't you see the 51w draw difference? Is that by design? Look at your power draw and post it so I can see yours draws the same. Also reply with something productive please.

9900k OC 5.0GHz 
Lian-Li Galahad 360
ASUS Z390-E Gaming MB
Corsair Vengeance Pro 32Gb 3200MHz
EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra 12GB
LG 34GP950G-B Monitor
Samsung 500GB & 1TB 970 EVO Plus M.2 Drives
Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD
Team Group CX2 2TB SSD
EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 P+, 80+ PLATINUM
Corsair 5000D Airflow
Affiliate Code: U6E1FWAKJI

ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21170
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Uneven Power Draw Across 8-pin cables? 2021/02/14 09:58:21 (permalink)
Turbo-12R
I still am not understanding why you are a part of this conversation when you don't even have the GPU in question...other than attempting to tarnish a company's reputation.  It's actually pretty ridiculous.

Did you read all of the helpful information I wrote on the previous page? I assured the user that it is not just them. I have provided a small amount of evidence about what the issue could be. And via the link, I indicated that if the card is replaced via the warranty process, one with better power balancing could be received. Most importantly, via the link, I have explained why this is an issue, why the user should care, and why they should try to get this issue resolved. If the user has a card with particularly bad power balancing, the two options available appear to be: 1) get the card replaced via warranty and hope that the one received has better power balancing, or 2) use a different card's BIOS which tricks the card into ignoring the power balance issue or makes it forget that all of the power inputs even exist. No other solutions have been found; not daisy-chaining, not not daisy-chaining, not changing power supplies, not changing power supply cables. The cards with particularly bad power balancing have particularly bad power balancing as a characteristic particular to them. When users have gotten their cards replaced, they have seen stark differences in power balancing; this confirms the root cause was within the card itself.

Summary of why someone should care: if a particular card has particularly bad power balancing (let's say the PCI-E slot reaches 75 watts while the PCI-E #3 connector also reaches only 75 watts), that is 75 watts "missing" from the PCI-E #3 connector which will never be recovered.  The card will never operate at its full possible potential, because the PCI slot reaching 75 watts will power limit the rest of the card and the card will not ever be allowed (via official means currently available) to consume the missing 75 watts on PCI-E #3.  This can cause a big difference in performance.  Using a different BIOS which is not officially supported by the card can help.  Or replacing the card can help.  Both methods have been proven.

Why are you part of this conversation? What of value have you brought? Does 'hey, you are dumb' help anyone?

I am not trying to tarnish a company's reputation. A company does that -- or doesn't do that -- on it's own. I always try to keep it real, no matter. I have given high praises of EVGA too. Right here, and right now, is just not the time for high praises.
post edited by ty_ger07 - 2021/02/14 11:20:13

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Turbo-12R
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 130
Flagged as Spam (2)
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Uneven Power Draw Across 8-pin cables? 2021/02/14 10:50:34 (permalink)
Again,

1.  Do you have this GPU?  If the answer is no, then you are just parroting what you have read.

2.  Have you done these tests yourself?

3.  Are you regurgitating what others have said, and only what you "wish" to repeat?

4.  Why do you keep overlooking those who do not have an issue with this GPU?

Of course these are all redundant questions.

Thermaltake Level 20HT
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16 Core
Thermaltake Pacific MX1 Plus Water Block
Gigabyte Aorus Master X570
32 GB G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series DDR4 3600
2x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVMe
1x Seagate Firecuda 520 2TB NVMe
TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta MAX RGB SSD 1TB
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA w/EKWB
Dual Thermaltake PR22-D5 Pumps
Dual Thermaltake Pacific CL360 64mm Rads
EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2, 80+ PLATINUM 1200W
MSI OPTIX MPG341CQR
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Uneven Power Draw Across 8-pin cables? 2021/02/14 11:07:18 (permalink)
Turbo-12RAgain,

1.  Do you have this GPU?  If the answer is no, then you are just parroting what you have read.

No, I wouldn't buy one.

No, I don't have to.
3.  Are you regurgitating what others have said, and only what you "wish" to repeat?

I am providing the information relevant to the user in this thread.  I "wish" to provide information relevant to this thread.

Because it is irrelevant to the user in this thread who is experiencing these issues.  When I say that some cards have this problem, I am necessarily acknowledging that some cards do NOT have this problem.  I do not attempt to state how many do versus how many don't.  And I don't bring the topic off-topic by discussing those cards which don't have a problem.  I simply acknowledge that some cards do have this issue, some cards don't have this issue, and then discuss, relevant to the OP, cards which do have this problem.

Yes, they are.  Please go away.  Have you noticed that the OP has not selected and highlighted any of your response as "Helpful"?
post edited by ty_ger07 - 2021/02/14 11:16:57

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium

HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 15665
  • Ribbons : 135
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Uneven Power Draw Across 8-pin cables? 2021/02/14 12:08:14 (permalink)
ty_ger07
Turbo-12RAgain,

No, I wouldn't buy one.

No, I don't have to.

I am providing the information relevant to the user in this thread.  I "wish" to provide information relevant to this thread.

Because it is irrelevant to the user in this thread who is experiencing these issues.  When I say that some cards have this problem, I am necessarily acknowledging that some cards do NOT have this problem.  I do not attempt to state how many do versus how many don't.  And I don't bring the topic off-topic by discussing those cards which don't have a problem.  I simply acknowledge that some cards do have this issue, some cards don't have this issue, and then discuss, relevant to the OP, cards which do have this problem.

Yes, they are.  Please go away.  Have you noticed that the OP has not selected and highlighted any of your response as "Helpful"?

I've seen completely wrong answers get 'helpful votes'. Which giant massive thread of nearly every one having defective PWM operation are you talking about? I can't find it. I do find the usual confusing mix of claims that could be anything from GPU-Z being wrong, to daisy chain inputs, bad PSU to bad PEG cable...etc... is there somewhere where all this mess is put together in such a way as to make any sense?

Critiques that you're possibly exaggerating the problem are not without foundation given your tone and volume... considering you do not own said product and apparently won't because... you believe it's inferior? Right? You're entitled to your opine of course... I am not sure why you're arguing you're NOT complaining about EVGA.

"You are not alone, that's for sure.  But I am sure it's "fine".  It's a "feature" to have a messed up VRM."
post edited by HeavyHemi - 2021/02/14 12:14:43

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

donnie123
  • Total Posts : 53
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Uneven Power Draw Across 8-pin cables? 2021/02/14 12:46:50 (permalink)
I thought the 3rd plug was just drawing less when I first noticed this, damn. I seem to have 3080 ftw3 ultra with a weak 3rd plug. Hmmm. 

But is this really resulting in less performance? I mean I've tested 3dmarks and been scoring as high and above as average, surely it would be then weaker then average?
neteng101
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 153
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Uneven Power Draw Across 8-pin cables? 2021/02/14 15:20:21 (permalink)
donnie123
But is this really resulting in less performance? I mean I've tested 3dmarks and been scoring as high and above as average, surely it would be then weaker then average?

There are plenty of 2x8 PCIe power cards to skew the 3DMark benchmarks in favor of any 3x8 PCIe power card.  But to answer your question, a power imbalance will cause throttling (Power limit) if any one of the rails supplying power tries to go over its limit.  So if one of the PCIe connectors tries to go beyond 150w and the card is not as the BIOS total limit (eg. 450W XOC BIOS) then it will still cause a Pwr limit state to be set resulting in the GPU trying to reduce GPU boost to limit power consumption.  In the original GPU-Z picture this would be #2 PCIe connector that can possibly trigger the Pwr limit even though the board power draw isn't maxed out.

The power imbalance is why a lot of people complain they can't hit the board power limit they believe their card should be capable of.
donnie123
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Uneven Power Draw Across 8-pin cables? 2021/02/14 15:47:25 (permalink)
neteng101
donnie123

There are plenty of 2x8 PCIe power cards to skew the 3DMark benchmarks in favor of any 3x8 PCIe power card.  But to answer your question, a power imbalance will cause throttling (Power limit) if any one of the rails supplying power tries to go over its limit.  So if one of the PCIe connectors tries to go beyond 150w and the card is not as the BIOS total limit (eg. 450W XOC BIOS) then it will still cause a Pwr limit state to be set resulting in the GPU trying to reduce GPU boost to limit power consumption.  In the original GPU-Z picture this would be #2 PCIe connector that can possibly trigger the Pwr limit even though the board power draw isn't maxed out.

The power imbalance is why a lot of people complain they can't hit the board power limit they believe their card should be capable of.

But likely this only probably affects the XOC bioses. Since for example, I've tested the stock bios, and here's the results:

I mean, it's pulling way over 400w limit sometimes even though the 3rd plug is low and the slot also. So if I loaded 450w bios, I would get power caped at those value since my plug 2 is going up to 151w?
bmgjet
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 289
  • Ribbons : 9
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Uneven Power Draw Across 8-pin cables? 2021/02/14 16:54:04 (permalink)
You have to lol when the only person providing any useful info is getting called out for not owning that card.

If u want the facts here the are.
The cards running a up9511r controller. The PCB is mass produced so they are all set up with the same config resistors, Which is what sets the balance.
It cant software rebalance the plugs and slot power like the other brands that used digital controlers which just need a I2C command sent to change it.
It wouldnt be a issue if every die was the same but all GPU dies arnt equal. There is this thing called silicon lottery so some will use more power or less power for the same task.
The die is made up of many different parts and each of these parts is also subject to the silicon lottery.
Only EVGA really knows how each part is wired up to the VRM. If one of those parts is really high leakage that inputs going to hit its power limit before the others.
When that power limit is hit the card wont go any further.

If you want to see what each inputs power limit is you can use my bios editor.
https://mega.nz/file/zH4G...f3_k1UWvckiRhnMs1IGdOY

And yes I do have a EVGA 3090.
There is nothing he can do himself to change it with out voiding warranty.
Really this would of never been a issue if the power limit arms race didnt start and the cards stayed at there intended release day power limits which was 420-450W for the FTW3 cards and 320-366W for the XC3.
EVGA knows this which is why the 500W bios will always be a beta bios since a large ammount of people wont be able to hit that total board power that it advertises.

Montana.Actual
  • Total Posts : 81
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Uneven Power Draw Across 8-pin cables? 2021/02/14 20:08:05 (permalink)
But it's not just the 3090's. 
donnie123
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Uneven Power Draw Across 8-pin cables? 2021/02/15 00:24:46 (permalink)
bmgjet
You have to lol when the only person providing any useful info is getting called out for not owning that card.

If u want the facts here the are.
The cards running a up9511r controller. The PCB is mass produced so they are all set up with the same config resistors, Which is what sets the balance.
It cant software rebalance the plugs and slot power like the other brands that used digital controlers which just need a I2C command sent to change it.
It wouldnt be a issue if every die was the same but all GPU dies arnt equal. There is this thing called silicon lottery so some will use more power or less power for the same task.
The die is made up of many different parts and each of these parts is also subject to the silicon lottery.
Only EVGA really knows how each part is wired up to the VRM. If one of those parts is really high leakage that inputs going to hit its power limit before the others.
When that power limit is hit the card wont go any further.

If you want to see what each inputs power limit is you can use my bios editor.

And yes I do have a EVGA 3090.
There is nothing he can do himself to change it with out voiding warranty.
Really this would of never been a issue if the power limit arms race didnt start and the cards stayed at there intended release day power limits which was 420-450W for the FTW3 cards and 320-366W for the XC3.
EVGA knows this which is why the 500W bios will always be a beta bios since a large ammount of people wont be able to hit that total board power that it advertises.

I've ran your tool, and checked my bios. The max 8pin pl is showing as 135000mW hmm. 
Feklar
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 152
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Uneven Power Draw Across 8-pin cables? 2021/02/15 02:17:45 (permalink)
neteng101
donnie123

Is this accurate?  I've noticed something like this. I hope this isn't the case.
neteng101
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 153
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Uneven Power Draw Across 8-pin cables? 2021/02/15 06:02:30 (permalink)
Feklar
Is this accurate?  I've noticed something like this. I hope this isn't the case.

Read bmgjet's explanation.  It seems to be the case for cards that utilize uP9511 controller.  Here's my 3080 XC3 Ultra, heavily undervolted so I don't hit the power limit a lot but the two load peaks are Timespy Extreme GT1/GT2 tests.  The green lines (PerfCap Pwr) was seen when 8-pin #2 hits 150W, even though the card's power limit is maxed out the board power draw doesn't hit 366W.  My #1 gets to ~130W max so its always #2 causing the Pwr limit to trigger before the card can hit its board power limit.

The other thing is that the PCIe slot draw can cause problems - if you look at the slot voltage there is a drop under load - in my case it goes from 12.2/12.3V to 11.9/12.0V but in other readings I've seen shared like from a 3090 FTW3, it can drop to 11.7V and such.

ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Uneven Power Draw Across 8-pin cables? 2021/02/15 06:57:48 (permalink)
Feklar

Yes, of course it is accurate. That's why I said it isn't a good thing.

donnie123
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Uneven Power Draw Across 8-pin cables? 2021/02/15 11:11:03 (permalink)
I doubt the issue happens because of uP9511 controller, although not the best one, and the 12 would be better, many cards have it and it doesn't have this problem and it should work perfectly.
MDG73
Superclocked Member
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Uneven Power Draw Across 8-pin cables? 2021/02/15 12:29:57 (permalink)
How do you find what controller your board is using?

9900k OC 5.0GHz 
Lian-Li Galahad 360
ASUS Z390-E Gaming MB
LG 34GP950G-B Monitor
Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD
Team Group CX2 2TB SSD
Corsair 5000D Airflow

bmgjet
iCX Member
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Uneven Power Draw Across 8-pin cables? 2021/02/15 14:44:13 (permalink)
donnie123
I doubt the issue happens because of uP9511 controller, although not the best one, and the 12 would be better, many cards have it and it doesn't have this problem and it should work perfectly.

Only 3 brands use that analog controller. (Galax, Zotac on there low end 2 plug cards.) and EVGA. And all 3 of them have people reporting issues of being unable to hit board power limit when using a bios with higher power limit then stock.
The rest used Digital.

MDG73
How do you find what controller your board is using?

Remove the heat sink and read the part number off it.
Or you can look in the 3090 thread on OCN. First post has a table of all the info.
jamexr
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 266
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Uneven Power Draw Across 8-pin cables? 2021/02/15 14:59:30 (permalink)
3080's FTW3 ultras have the same issue btw.
jamexr
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 266
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Uneven Power Draw Across 8-pin cables? 2021/02/15 15:14:38 (permalink)
neteng101
Dabadger84
*eats popcorn whilst enjoying a 3090 that knows how to power balance properly* 

Its very likely the uP9511 - the controller is as dumb as bricks and relies on an analog feedback loop from the GPU to tell it what to do.  Everything is set once it leaves the factory and there's no way to change the behavior via firmware.  This is very likely why we've not seen any fixes to the FTW3's dying out there, since they can't reprogram the power delivery logic on the fly.

Every card using the uP9511 seems to have imperfect power balance - my 3080 XC3 Ultra draws 25-30W less on #1 while #2 PCIe reaches 150W easily...  very much like the picture posted here for the FTW3, but at least it doesn't have a 3rd input that's super weak.  And it makes sense for the FTW3 given what the decoded MCU code showed in programming for the FTW3, the 3rd PCIe power rail was initially meant to be 6-pin ie. 75W capability.  Seems like EVGA changed the connector last minute, but forgot to rebalance the power delivery.  And now they have this big problem with FTW3 cards with no easy answers.

EVGA can release all the BIOS updates they want but the card can't magically realign itself physically to rebalance power.  Would agree that if someone was already spending all that money for a 3090 they'd want a Kingpin type card.

More than likely this is the issue. Check Buildzoids video down here at 4:38, same conclusion with that dumb controller:

https://youtu.be/ZuimvlNraLM
donnie123
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Uneven Power Draw Across 8-pin cables? 2021/02/15 15:35:13 (permalink)
Yes, I have the same issue, seem to be able to draw 442w highest spike on the OCCT 3d test. With Plug #2 shooting to 158W, while Plug #3 is max 98.6W, won't go past. Looking at the averages, it won't really sustain much above 400w.
post edited by donnie123 - 2021/02/15 15:40:59
badboy64
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 921
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Uneven Power Draw Across 8-pin cables? 2021/02/15 17:34:38 (permalink)
donnie123
Yes, I have the same issue, seem to be able to draw 442w highest spike on the OCCT 3d test. With Plug #2 shooting to 158W, while Plug #3 is max 98.6W, won't go past. Looking at the averages, it won't really sustain much above 400w.

The only time I see a low power draw from pin #1 is lowest at 110w to 121watts and the highest is 160watts from pin #3 when I run the OCCT 3d test but when gaming or 3dMark. The lowest from pin #1 is 124watts and pin #3 is 138watts and it is totally a different story when gaming. Here is my log when running OCCT 3d test first and then 3dMark next. I would rather play games than run the OCCT 3d test any day. This is run from system in my signature which I have had my 3090 FTW3 Ultra since Oct. 27th.
       Date        , Board Power Draw [W] , 8-Pin #1 Power [W] , 8-Pin #2 Power [W] , 8-Pin #3 Power [W] ,
2021-02-15 19:00:56 ,               48.2   ,                -   ,                -   ,                -   ,
2021-02-15 19:01:01 ,               82.1   ,                -   ,                -   ,                -   ,
2021-02-15 19:01:06 ,               41.7   ,                -   ,                -   ,                -   ,
2021-02-15 19:01:11 ,               37.8   ,             10.1   ,              7.9   ,              8.4   ,
2021-02-15 19:01:16 ,               38.4   ,             10.0   ,              8.1   ,              8.6   ,
2021-02-15 19:01:21 ,               43.0   ,                -   ,                -   ,                -   ,
2021-02-15 19:01:26 ,               34.9   ,             11.0   ,              6.7   ,              7.1   ,
2021-02-15 19:01:31 ,               40.9   ,              9.7   ,              9.1   ,              9.6   ,
2021-02-15 19:01:36 ,               44.2   ,              8.3   ,             10.8   ,             11.2   ,
2021-02-15 19:01:41 ,               79.9   ,             20.2   ,             27.0   ,             11.9   ,
2021-02-15 19:01:46 ,               39.7   ,              9.6   ,              8.8   ,              9.2   ,
2021-02-15 19:01:51 ,              124.7   ,             32.9   ,             42.4   ,             17.9   ,
2021-02-15 19:01:56 ,               52.5   ,             11.3   ,             13.3   ,             12.3   ,
2021-02-15 19:02:01 ,               44.1   ,              9.2   ,              8.7   ,             11.7   ,
2021-02-15 19:02:06 ,               34.3   ,             11.1   ,              6.4   ,              6.8   ,
2021-02-15 19:02:11 ,              450.9   ,            110.8   ,            126.9   ,            146.1   ,
2021-02-15 19:02:16 ,              457.1   ,            112.7   ,            127.8   ,            149.6   ,
2021-02-15 19:02:21 ,              470.8   ,            114.8   ,            130.8   ,            155.0   ,
2021-02-15 19:02:26 ,              488.3   ,            119.8   ,            135.3   ,            160.7   ,
2021-02-15 19:02:31 ,              491.1   ,            121.6   ,            136.3   ,            159.6   ,
2021-02-15 19:02:36 ,              469.1   ,            115.2   ,            131.1   ,            151.8   ,
2021-02-15 19:02:41 ,              439.4   ,            107.9   ,            122.7   ,            140.7   ,
2021-02-15 19:02:46 ,              423.9   ,            105.4   ,            119.2   ,            133.4   ,
2021-02-15 19:02:51 ,              403.2   ,            101.1   ,            114.2   ,            124.9   ,
2021-02-15 19:02:56 ,               46.7   ,             10.6   ,             10.3   ,             11.7   ,
2021-02-15 19:03:01 ,               42.1   ,             11.2   ,              9.3   ,              9.4   ,
2021-02-15 19:03:06 ,               45.7   ,             10.2   ,             10.7   ,             11.1   ,
2021-02-15 19:03:11 ,              126.9   ,                -   ,                -   ,                -   ,
2021-02-15 19:03:16 ,              127.0   ,             35.3   ,             42.3   ,             17.9   ,
2021-02-15 19:03:21 ,               45.8   ,              9.9   ,             10.8   ,             11.2   ,
2021-02-15 19:03:26 ,               83.5   ,             22.6   ,             27.8   ,             12.1   ,
2021-02-15 19:03:31 ,               83.1   ,             22.2   ,             27.7   ,             12.1   ,
2021-02-15 19:03:36 ,               38.1   ,             11.1   ,              7.8   ,              8.2   ,
2021-02-15 19:03:41 ,               43.5   ,              9.4   ,              8.3   ,             11.7   ,
2021-02-15 19:03:46 ,              125.7   ,                -   ,                -   ,                -   ,
2021-02-15 19:03:51 ,               41.7   ,                -   ,                -   ,                -   ,
2021-02-15 19:03:56 ,               36.2   ,                -   ,                -   ,                -   ,
2021-02-15 19:04:01 ,               35.7   ,                -   ,                -   ,                -   ,
2021-02-15 19:04:06 ,              154.1   ,                -   ,                -   ,                -   ,
2021-02-15 19:04:11 ,              126.8   ,                -   ,                -   ,                -   ,
2021-02-15 19:04:16 ,              125.8   ,                -   ,                -   ,                -   ,
2021-02-15 19:04:21 ,              127.1   ,                -   ,                -   ,                -   ,
2021-02-15 19:04:26 ,               49.8   ,             10.8   ,             12.4   ,             11.5   ,
2021-02-15 19:04:31 ,              115.8   ,             31.2   ,             39.0   ,             16.6   ,
2021-02-15 19:04:36 ,               46.4   ,              8.9   ,             11.4   ,             11.7   ,
2021-02-15 19:04:41 ,               47.8   ,              9.6   ,             11.8   ,             11.8   ,
2021-02-15 19:04:46 ,              456.8   ,                -   ,                -   ,                -   ,
2021-02-15 19:04:51 ,              455.7   ,                -   ,                -   ,                -   ,
2021-02-15 19:04:56 ,              459.0   ,                -   ,                -   ,                -   ,
2021-02-15 19:05:01 ,              464.0   ,                -   ,                -   ,                -   ,
2021-02-15 19:05:06 ,              476.8   ,                -   ,                -   ,                -   ,
2021-02-15 19:05:11 ,              468.6   ,            124.6   ,            132.4   ,            133.4   ,
2021-02-15 19:05:16 ,              484.3   ,                -   ,                -   ,                -   ,
2021-02-15 19:05:21 ,              478.8   ,                -   ,                -   ,                -   ,
2021-02-15 19:05:26 ,              475.6   ,                -   ,                -   ,                -   ,
2021-02-15 19:05:31 ,              440.0   ,                -   ,                -   ,                -   ,
2021-02-15 19:05:36 ,              416.4   ,                -   ,                -   ,                -   ,
2021-02-15 19:05:41 ,              452.9   ,                -   ,                -   ,                -   ,
2021-02-15 19:05:46 ,              133.1   ,                -   ,                -   ,                -   ,
2021-02-15 19:05:51 ,               51.0   ,             12.0   ,             12.4   ,             11.9   ,
2021-02-15 19:05:56 ,               50.1   ,             11.3   ,             12.3   ,             12.0   ,
2021-02-15 19:06:01 ,               50.0   ,             11.6   ,             12.1   ,             11.8   ,
2021-02-15 19:06:06 ,              460.8   ,            126.3   ,            132.9   ,            122.9   ,
2021-02-15 19:06:11 ,              464.1   ,            124.7   ,            132.7   ,            129.1   ,
2021-02-15 19:06:16 ,              463.4   ,            125.6   ,            132.6   ,            127.5   ,
2021-02-15 19:06:21 ,              468.5   ,            124.9   ,            132.7   ,            133.3   ,
2021-02-15 19:06:26 ,              480.3   ,            127.9   ,            135.6   ,            138.2   ,
2021-02-15 19:06:31 ,              456.2   ,            123.6   ,            130.5   ,            125.4   ,
2021-02-15 19:06:36 ,              458.3   ,            125.5   ,            131.6   ,            123.0   ,
2021-02-15 19:06:41 ,              446.0   ,            124.5   ,            129.9   ,            114.5   ,
2021-02-15 19:06:46 ,              449.1   ,            127.5   ,            131.7   ,            111.6   ,
2021-02-15 19:06:51 ,              459.1   ,            129.6   ,            133.6   ,            116.7   ,
2021-02-15 19:06:56 ,              152.6   ,             41.2   ,             44.5   ,             29.1   ,
2021-02-15 19:07:01 ,               50.0   ,             11.9   ,             11.8   ,             11.9   ,
2021-02-15 19:07:06 ,              104.3   ,             28.3   ,             33.3   ,             16.5   ,
2021-02-15 19:07:11 ,               82.4   ,             22.6   ,             27.5   ,             11.8   ,
2021-02-15 19:07:16 ,               41.4   ,             11.8   ,              8.8   ,              9.1   ,
2021-02-15 19:07:21 ,               41.1   ,             11.6   ,              8.8   ,              9.1   ,
2021-02-15 19:07:26 ,              127.0   ,             35.5   ,             42.2   ,             18.0   ,
2021-02-15 19:07:31 ,               40.5   ,              8.7   ,              6.7   ,             11.8   ,
2021-02-15 19:07:36 ,               38.4   ,             12.0   ,              7.7   ,              8.0   ,
2021-02-15 19:07:41 ,               38.6   ,             11.7   ,              7.8   ,              8.2   ,
2021-02-15 19:07:46 ,               37.1   ,             11.7   ,              7.3   ,              7.6   ,
2021-02-15 19:07:51 ,               35.3   ,                -   ,                -   ,                -   ,
2021-02-15 19:07:56 ,               34.6   ,             12.4   ,              6.3   ,              6.5   ,
2021-02-15 19:08:01 ,               33.7   ,                -   ,                -   ,                -   ,
2021-02-15 19:08:06 ,               33.4   ,                -   ,                -   ,                -   ,
2021-02-15 19:08:11 ,               33.7   ,             12.3   ,              6.0   ,              6.2   ,
2021-02-15 19:08:16 ,               33.3   ,             12.5   ,              6.0   ,              5.8   ,

post edited by badboy64 - 2021/02/15 17:37:00

14th Intel® Core™ i9 14900KF CPU 3.2GHz@6.0ghz, Memory 2x24GB GSkill Trident Z Trident Z5 7200 mhz DDR5 Ram,4,000 GB MSI M480 PRO 4TB , Motherboard eVga 690 Dark , Operating System Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit, Msi Suprim X24G 4090, Monitor Acer CG437K, Logitech G910, Razer Lancehead Tournament Edition, Thermaltake View 91 RGB plus, eVga 1600w P2 PSU, Custom watercooling.
Speed Way  Score 11,055 points.
https://www.3dmark.com/sw/1112818
schulmaster
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 541
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Uneven Power Draw Across 8-pin cables? 2021/02/15 17:44:31 (permalink)
EVGA would benefit from a global product manager. She/he could do the type of research end users are doing. She/he would release a statement saying the concern of the user base is heard(regardless of validity), and would then marshal investigation of the issue(providing assurance investigation is underway[whether discovery has occurred or not]). Finally, a result of internal investigation would be published(whether or not a contrary finding was reached).

Does EVGA have a GPM willing to M GPs? I know they have a mascot that authors announcements, and who responds to inquiries in this forum, at least before QC is impugned. But is there actually an entity that takes product management(which isn't marketing btw) seriously?
post edited by schulmaster - 2021/02/15 17:49:34

Case: --InWin LE S-Frame #111/500--
Board: ASUS x299 SAGE WS 
CPU: i9 10980XE (18C/36T) @ [4.0GHz - 4.5GHz]
CPU Cooling: Noctua NHD15S 
RAM:
64GB Vengeance PRO Quad Channel @ 3.2GHz 
GPU: ASUS RTX 3090 STRIX OC Edition
Display:
27" 2560x1440 Asus Swift 165Hz IPS GSYNC
Storage:
2x 1TB Micron 1100s SSDs RAID0 (OS)
2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe (Steam)
4TB WD Enterprise 
1TB 10000RPM Velociraptor
SPU: Creative AE7 
PSU: Corsair AX1600i  
donnie123
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Uneven Power Draw Across 8-pin cables? 2021/02/15 23:54:00 (permalink)
My question, since my 3080 ftw3 ultra plug 3 is not going past 98.6w, is this RMA worthy? I could try another PSU, but I doubt it will help. But most likely even those 40watts more it could draw wouldn't make much of a difference anyway.
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Uneven Power Draw Across 8-pin cables? 2021/02/15 23:57:06 (permalink)
Badboy64, good for you.  It has been well established that some cards have this issue, and some cards don't.  Some more than others.  Yours doesn't have an issue.  We get it.  Like, how many times does this need to be repeated?  Move on.

donnie123
I could try another PSU, but I doubt it will help.

It won't.

donnie123
But most likely even those 40watts more it could draw wouldn't make much of a difference anyway.

40 watts will make a difference, but probably not a noticeable difference in anything other than a benchmark.  It depends how you use your computer and how close your current performance in your use-case is between acceptable and not acceptable in your eyes.

I probably wouldn't think that RMAing it is worth the hassle and expense.  But that's just me.  You do your thing.  I kind of doubt EVGA would accept that warranty reason anyway, so this is probably just a discussion of theoreticals.

As far as theory goes, this situation is not optimal.  But what can you do?  Ignore it, RMA it, or use a different BIOS which isn't officially supported by your video card.
post edited by ty_ger07 - 2021/02/16 00:13:53

bmgjet
iCX Member
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Uneven Power Draw Across 8-pin cables? 2021/02/16 00:08:27 (permalink)
donnie123
My question, since my 3080 ftw3 ultra plug 3 is not going past 98.6w, is this RMA worthy?

If your card works and your getting with in the normal range of 3080 performance, No.
rangerscott
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 341
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Uneven Power Draw Across 8-pin cables? 2021/02/16 04:34:56 (permalink)
Had to rma my 3090 ftw3 ultra from day 1. Pin 1 was showing over 400w. Pin 2 was 15w and pin 3 was 0.5w. Lol.

Also it never would leave idle clock speed. Crazy stuff.

Z690 Dark
Evga 3090 Hybrid
32gb Trident z5 @ 6000
Corsair RM1000X psu

MDG73
Superclocked Member
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Uneven Power Draw Across 8-pin cables? 2021/02/16 05:24:49 (permalink)
I submitted a support ticket and this was the response:
(I should clarity this was in regards to a 3070 FTW3 Ultra)

"Thank you for reaching out to us regarding your graphics card. These connectors will not require an even amount of power as these connectors power different components on the GPU. This is normal behavior for your card and will have no affect on the lifespan of your card.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.
Regards,
EVGA"
Now my daughter has a ASUS Strix 3060Ti and I checked her power draw using GPU-z and it was being distributed evenly between to the two 8 pin connectors unlike mine which has a 51w disparity. hmmm.

9900k OC 5.0GHz 
Lian-Li Galahad 360
ASUS Z390-E Gaming MB
LG 34GP950G-B Monitor
Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD
Team Group CX2 2TB SSD
Corsair 5000D Airflow

Delirious
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 17474
  • Ribbons : 61
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Uneven Power Draw Across 8-pin cables? 2021/02/16 08:25:03 (permalink)
Let's stay on topic and be helpful here.  Some posts that were off topic were removed. 

"Be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to anger" 
Affiliate Code XZUMV9TJW5
Associate Code: 7PM43CU71IB2IAP
education may be expensive but wait until you get the bill for ignorance
A wise man once said that we can't make anyone feel or do anything. We can throw things into the wind, but it's up to each person to decide how they want to react, where they want to stand when things fall.
donnie123
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Uneven Power Draw Across 8-pin cables? 2021/02/17 04:06:27 (permalink)
ty_ger07
Badboy64, good for you.  It has been well established that some cards have this issue, and some cards don't.  Some more than others.  Yours doesn't have an issue.  We get it.  Like, how many times does this need to be repeated?  Move on.

donnie123
I could try another PSU, but I doubt it will help.

It won't.

donnie123
But most likely even those 40watts more it could draw wouldn't make much of a difference anyway.

40 watts will make a difference, but probably not a noticeable difference in anything other than a benchmark.  It depends how you use your computer and how close your current performance in your use-case is between acceptable and not acceptable in your eyes.

I probably wouldn't think that RMAing it is worth the hassle and expense.  But that's just me.  You do your thing.  I kind of doubt EVGA would accept that warranty reason anyway, so this is probably just a discussion of theoreticals.

As far as theory goes, this situation is not optimal.  But what can you do?  Ignore it, RMA it, or use a different BIOS which isn't officially supported by your video card.

Would you mind explaining where could I find some information about "BIOS" helping with the issue of plug 3 limitations? If the bios is able to fix this issues, why doesn't EVGA try to fix this with their own bios fix?
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile