EVGA

Answered3090 FTW3 Ultra - Experience & Tips (for LG CX OLED users)

Page: << < ..678910 > Showing page 9 of 10
Author
Ciddharthas
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 465
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra - Experience & Tips (for LG CX OLED users) 2021/03/15 08:54:17 (permalink)
Veratu
Ciddharthas

OK, I think I have everything dialed in now, but just wanted to clarify one (hopefully last) thing.  When trying to change the input "type" to pc, I see in the Home Dashboard where I can change the name and icon of the various inputs.  I had changed the name before, but you said I should change the "type".  I don't see anything labeled as "type" specifically, but I do see a menu where I can change the *icon* and various types of inputs do show up in a drop-down menu (console, cable, etc.).  I changed that to PC by selecting that option (as opposed to renaming anything character by character).  Is that what you meant, or am I still missing something?

Yes, the icon is the type :)  Sorry if that wasn't more clear.  You're good.

Awesome, thanks!  The display is working beautifully so far.  I got that weird auto-dimming feature turned off, which makes a big difference in user experience, for me at least.  Even though the monitor that hits all my checkboxes for what I'm looking for isn't out yet - and I kind of doubt it will be out anytime in the next year, since what I what is
2160p (or maybe more realistically 1600p)
ultrawide
mininum of 120Hz refresh rate (ideally 144)
roughly 34 inches
OLED
HDR with something close to 1000 nits of brightness (admittedly might be overkill here)

So yeah the monitor that checks off all those boxes will probably come out at about the time we start seeing micro-LED monitors, which will blow away all LCD and OLED displays once it becomes affordable since you get the best of both worlds with that tech.

One of the main reasons I waited on the getting the CX48 was to see what monitors came out around CES time this year, which were all kind of underwhelming (to me at least), but I have gotten kind of attached to having an ultrawide display, and the options there are limited.  I thought it would be difficult to adjust to a non-ultrawide and that if I ended up not liking the CX48, well... it's arguable that it's time to upgrade one of our other TV's in the house anyway.  And while I do have to pan my camera around a bit more than I'd like, the extra screen real-estate mostly makes up for it not being an ultrawide.

Something I found kind of surprising is that even though my 3080 ftw3 is driving about 67% more pixels compared to my 3440x1440 ultrawide monitor, I haven't seen much framerate loss, which I had expected to see.  The card does run a bit hotter though (which makes me glad I converted it to the hybrid version).  I've only tested it in a couple of games so far though.

CPU: i7 10700k @ 5.0 GHz with 360mm Corsair H150i Elite LCD cooler
MB: MSI Z490 Meg Ace
RAM: 64gb Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB @ 3466 MHz
GPU: 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i (1000 Watts)
Primary Monitor: LG CX48 (4k OLED)
Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB
Mouse: Corsair Scimitar Elite RGB
Headset: Arctis Pro Wireless
Mic: Elgato Wave 3
VR: Occulus Quest 2
Ciddharthas
iCX Member
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra - Experience & Tips (for LG CX OLED users) 2021/03/15 10:03:42 (permalink)
Veratu
The issue is the monitor is cutting the physical hardware connection on the HDMI port when it turns off.  Traditional monitors don't do this, they keep the EDID signal active so the computer thinks the monitor is still active from a signal/resolution perspective.  There are hardware devices out there that intercept the monitor being turned off signal and lock/preserve the last known EDID so you don't have this effect.  What's happening is the HDMI signal is cut, the EDID is wiped of the current resolution, and when the monitor turns on it takes a moment for windows and the monitor EDID handshake, and in that time Windows goes oh, I have no resolution, and shrinks to the default 800x600 resolution which then resizes all your windows into a pile of garbage in the corner, then the monitor says no, I'm 4K, and windows goes, OOHH OK!  And it adjusts the resolution, but unfortunately all of your windows are already jammed down to 800x600 so you're left moving everything around again because they don't auto resize back to where they were.  This is a windows "feature" ... go figure.

So the solution is to either block that EDID HDMI signal cut so that Windows doesn't auto-resize to 800x600 or you use software to remember the last known state (like Persistent Windows, which is what I use) and as soon as it comes back it moves everything back into place, and it's light weight and sits in your taskbar and is open source so no funny business code wise.

LG should just release a firmware update that if an HDMI port is set to PC or Game Console, to preserve the EDID and not kill the signal when the monitor is off, but I'm sure there's some energy savings excuse they'll use to say why they don't do that.

If someone has a line to LG engineering.. might be best to suggest this.

To go back in time a little:
This was your response to my question about whether it's possible to make the monitor just kind of go into standby mode (when windows power settings turn displays "off") where it turns all the pixels completely off but doesn't cut power to the monitor itself.  This is the one thing that I still wish I could make the monitor do, but it sounds like this just plain isn't possible right now?  Even with a service remote?  Just have to wait for a firmware update and maybe make the suggestion on LG's forums?  I'd think that given the fact that LG knows this is a very popular monitor for gamers (to the point where now the 48 inch is the same damn price as the 55 inch... like jeez srsly?), they'd hopefully act on this soon from the firmware front.

Veratu
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 154
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra - Experience & Tips (for LG CX OLED users) 2021/03/18 10:50:12 (permalink)
Ciddharthas

This was your response to my question about whether it's possible to make the monitor just kind of go into standby mode (when windows power settings turn displays "off") where it turns all the pixels completely off but doesn't cut power to the monitor itself.  This is the one thing that I still wish I could make the monitor do, but it sounds like this just plain isn't possible right now?  Even with a service remote?  Just have to wait for a firmware update and maybe make the suggestion on LG's forums?  I'd think that given the fact that LG knows this is a very popular monitor for gamers (to the point where now the 48 inch is the same damn price as the 55 inch... like jeez srsly?), they'd hopefully act on this soon from the firmware front.

I've already escalated this to their engineering team, they're aware of it, they just haven't committed or confirmed if they intend to change it, but it's absolutely in their engineering backlog for this display.
Ciddharthas
iCX Member
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra - Experience & Tips (for LG CX OLED users) 2021/03/18 13:47:37 (permalink)
Veratu
Ciddharthas

I've already escalated this to their engineering team, they're aware of it, they just haven't committed or confirmed if they intend to change it, but it's absolutely in their engineering backlog for this display.

Awesome, thank you!  I hope they decide to fix it.

Ciddharthas
iCX Member
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra - Experience & Tips (for LG CX OLED users) 2021/05/04 08:16:33 (permalink)
So apparently in an upcoming windows update, microsoft might be doing something about the problem of windows rearranging themselves across multiple monitors upon displays waking up.  It's not clear to me whether this fix will affect people who use the LG CX48, due to the issue with the display turning itself off rather than simply going to sleep.  I'm still hoping that LG is working on that problem on their end, since that model is very popular (as evidenced by this thread and many others around the interwebz) among gamers, and it's really annoying to have to leave my remote sitting next to my mousepad to turn my LG on multiple times a day since it's turned itself off.

I'm using Persistent Windows, but it doesn't always work properly, and it has some unintended annoying consequences, such as moving my taskbar to the vertical position sometimes, and messing up the taskbar's ability to auto-hide itself at other times.  And while it often gets window placement right, it often gets them wrong, too.  Overall, using the program is better in my experience than not using it, but it would be nice to have a more consistent solution.

https://betanews.com/2021...support-in-windows-10/

TheCrunchyFox
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 114
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra - Experience & Tips 2021/05/04 08:41:31 (permalink)
Glad to see that this LG can work as intended with 4K120! Sony has so far not managed a firmware update to get it working on the X900H, even though HDMI 2.1 and all its features were key selling points :(
leetmode
  • Total Posts : 6
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra - Experience & Tips 2021/05/05 20:52:07 (permalink)
Any C1 owners in here? Will be getting mine soon and wondering if there are any settings guides I can follow.
brutalramen
  • Total Posts : 8
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra - Experience & Tips (for LG CX OLED users) 2021/05/12 14:56:22 (permalink)
As soon as I hit HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color, the brand new LG CX says "no signal".

I have:
- newest nvidia drivers
- newest 3090 FTW3 Ultra firmware installed via Precision X1
- newest LG firmware
- Tried multiple cables, currently using one that is listed to work (Belkin HDMI Ultra High Speed: )
- TV input set to PC
- Picture mode set to Game (User)

When I lose signal, I see the G-Sync options appear on my other monitor in Nvidia controls for my tv. I can set it on and see the pc resolution settings appear for 4k at 120hz, but when I set it it resets to 60hz.

After trying 5 different HDMI 2.1 cables, I feel all out of options and I'm about to return the tv. Please let me know if I missed something... 
post edited by brutalramen - 2021/05/12 14:57:37
arestavo
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6916
  • Ribbons : 76
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra - Experience & Tips (for LG CX OLED users) 2021/05/12 14:59:58 (permalink)
brutalramen
As soon as I hit HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color, the brand new LG CX says "no signal".

I have:
- newest nvidia drivers
- newest LG firmware
- Tried multiple cables, currently using one that is listed to work (Belkin HDMI Ultra High Speed: )
- TV input set to PC

When I lose signal, I see the G-Sync options appear on my other monitor in Nvidia controls for my tv. I can set it on and see the pc resolution settings appear for 4k at 120hz, but when I set it it resets to 60hz.

After trying 5 different HDMI 2.1 cables, I feel all out of options and I'm about to return the tv. Please let me know if I missed something... 

Have you tried changing settings with just the CX hooked to the video card?
Hoggle
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 10101
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra - Experience & Tips 2021/05/12 15:05:03 (permalink)
leetmode
Any C1 owners in here? Will be getting mine soon and wondering if there are any settings guides I can follow.

I would say mostly the CX and C1 should be mostly the same. The gaming menu in the C1 is a great new feature but it’s mostly to tell you it’s doing what the CX was also able to do.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

brutalramen
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra - Experience & Tips (for LG CX OLED users) 2021/05/12 15:36:08 (permalink)
arestavo

Yes, I just did it again to be sure and as soon as I chose the "HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color" it says "no signal".
arestavo
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6916
  • Ribbons : 76
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra - Experience & Tips (for LG CX OLED users) 2021/05/12 15:41:18 (permalink)
brutalramen
arestavo

Yes, I just did it again to be sure and as soon as I chose the "HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color" it says "no signal".

Other than cables that don't work (too long? That was my issue so I had to downsize from 10ft to 6ft), the only other things that I can think of would be to use DDU in safe mode with the Ethernet/internet disconnected (so windows doesn't install old drivers) to uninstall drivers and then reboot and install the latest driver.

That, and a fresh install of Windows should DDUing the drivers not help.
brutalramen
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra - Experience & Tips (for LG CX OLED users) 2021/05/12 15:48:12 (permalink)
arestavo
brutalramen
arestavo

Other than cables that don't work (too long? That was my issue so I had to downsize from 10ft to 6ft), the only other things that I can think of would be to use DDU in safe mode with the Ethernet/internet disconnected (so windows doesn't install old drivers) to uninstall drivers and then reboot and install the latest driver.

Cable is about 6ft and listed as working for LG CX and Nvidia 3090 FTW3 by OP. Maybe someone tested it on a different LG CX? I got the 48 inches one.

I'll give the DDU in safe mode a try and I'll let you know if it helped. Thanks!
brutalramen
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra - Experience & Tips (for LG CX OLED users) 2021/05/12 16:29:05 (permalink)
arestavo
brutalramen
arestavo

Tried, didn't help. I even tried to turn TV off and back on, still getting the "no signal" from the TV.

From what I read here and on other forums, it does sound like a cable problem. I'm just surprised no cable worked so far. I tried so many different ones that said were 48 Gbps and at least one (the Belkin one OP said works for my tv and my card) had the certified HDMI 2.1 logo on the package...

EDIT: so now my options are a fresh install and/or try another cable. I think I'll give the monoprice one OP mentionned a try:c Monoprice DynamicView Ultra 8K Premium High Speed HDMI Cable, 48Gbps, 8K, Dynamic HDR, eARC, 6ft Black - Product # 31231 - confirmed on LG CX with 3090

post edited by brutalramen - 2021/05/12 16:43:13
kring
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 274
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra - Experience & Tips (for LG CX OLED users) 2021/05/12 21:44:57 (permalink)
brutalramen

I have:
- newest nvidia drivers
- newest LG firmware
- TV input set to PC

This is the exact symptom of a bad HDMI cable.  HDMI 2.1 cables will NOT work, Are you using a 8K-60hz rate 48GB certified cable?
brutalramen
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra - Experience & Tips (for LG CX OLED users) 2021/05/13 14:55:26 (permalink)
kring
brutalramen

I have:
- newest nvidia drivers
- newest LG firmware
- TV input set to PC

This is the exact symptom of a bad HDMI cable.  HDMI 2.1 cables will NOT work, Are you using a 8K-60hz rate 48GB certified cable?

I've been using 8k-60hz, 4k-120hz 48Gbps HDMI 2.1 cables. One is the Belkin HDMI Ultra High Speed specified by OP and is supposedly certified.
christobol
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 250
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra - Experience & Tips (for LG CX OLED users) 2021/05/13 15:40:21 (permalink)
brutalramen

I bought a few cables that the manufacture claimed were 2.1 certified and while I was getting 120hz at deep color I was having problems with artifacts.  I ended up going with AudioQuest Forest 48, which is a true 2.1 certified cable.  It cost $130 on Crutchfield.  Be careful buying it from Amazon as there are a ton of knockoffs using their name.  You can tell because the color and name combos don't match their website.

Anyway when I changed to the AudioQuest cable I didn't have problems.  Using "2.1" cables that weren't from Cable Matters would have a ton of problems.  Using Cable Matters cables that they claim are 2.1 deep in their site had problems... 

I think 2.1 running close to its limit is pretty problematic.  That's likely why DP 2.0 isn't out, the tech to transmit that much data over a wire just isn't stable yet.

Please consider using my Associate and Rewards codes to save 3-10% off your next EVGA purchase
sunt88126
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 117
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra - Experience & Tips 2021/05/13 16:07:10 (permalink)
Trying to seek the EVGA 3090 for months.

24G-P5-3979-KR 6/23/2021 6:00:25 AM PT No
12G-P5-3959-KR 6/16/2021 2:46:56 PM PT No
24G-P5-3999-KR 6/15/2021 9:49:45 AM PT No
12G-P5-3967-KR 6/3/2021 8:39:16 AM PT No
Associate Code: 7AXD4LC8M4FVW4D
CreeD1982
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 101
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra - Experience & Tips 2021/05/14 07:17:18 (permalink)
Yeah thanks for the Infos!
Superino1
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra - Experience & Tips 2021/05/14 07:59:28 (permalink)
leetmode

you can use the cx settings, but the best solution is to calibrate it 
brutalramen
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra - Experience & Tips (for LG CX OLED users) 2021/05/14 13:28:08 (permalink)
christobol
brutalramen

I bought a few cables that the manufacture claimed were 2.1 certified and while I was getting 120hz at deep color I was having problems with artifacts.  I ended up going with AudioQuest Forest 48, which is a true 2.1 certified cable.  It cost $130 on Crutchfield.  Be careful buying it from Amazon as there are a ton of knockoffs using their name.  You can tell because the color and name combos don't match their website.

Anyway when I changed to the AudioQuest cable I didn't have problems.  Using "2.1" cables that weren't from Cable Matters would have a ton of problems.  Using Cable Matters cables that they claim are 2.1 deep in their site had problems... 

I think 2.1 running close to its limit is pretty problematic.  That's likely why DP 2.0 isn't out, the tech to transmit that much data over a wire just isn't stable yet.

Got myself an AudioQuest Pearl 48. Still not working at 4k 120hz. I'm starting to think the tv or the GPU aren't working properly...
brutalramen
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra - Experience & Tips (for LG CX OLED users) 2021/05/14 15:02:14 (permalink)
I realized there was a 4th HDMI on the back. The ones on the side are listed as 4k 120hz, but at least with the one in the back I manage to get something to show up at 4k 120hz. It's too glitchy to do anything though...
brutalramen
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra - Experience & Tips (for LG CX OLED users) 2021/05/14 19:24:17 (permalink)
christobol
brutalramen

AudioQuest Pearl 48 didn't fully work, but was more responsive than other supposedly HDMI 2.1 certified cables. The store I got it at didn't have the Forest 48 but few has a Cinnamon 48 cables. I'll give it a try tomorrow.
Ciddharthas
iCX Member
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra - Experience & Tips (for LG CX OLED users) 2021/05/30 18:33:56 (permalink)
I really hope the standby issue (and the windows moving around on display wakeup when using multiple monitors in addition to the CX) gets fixed by LG sometime soon.   I had to stop using Persistent Windows because it wreaks havoc with certain games starting up.  If Persistent Windows is running when Horizon Zero Dawn launches, for instance, the game gets stuck in some sort of loop where it can't figure out how to display anything - it just puts the title screen up on my CX (or sometimes some other random monitor) for a split second, then goes back to the desktop, then either repeats the whole process ad nauseum unless I force the task manager up to force-quit the game, or it stays on the desktop, where if I click on the game from the taskbar, it just does it again.  That's the worst of the bunch, but other weird anomalies pop up when launching other games too while running Persistent Windows.

meowcenary
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 103
Flagged as Spam (1)
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra - Experience & Tips (for LG CX OLED users) 2021/05/30 23:32:00 (permalink)
that's amazing yall can hit those numbers!
MaelstromOC
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2496
  • Ribbons : 6
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra - Experience & Tips (for LG CX OLED users) 2021/05/31 11:13:37 (permalink)
^^^ look at this guy spamming for elite status lol

Corsair 500D RGB SE | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero | AMD 5900X | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3600Mhz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Hybrid | EVGA 850 GQ

Heatware
Ciddharthas
iCX Member
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra - Experience & Tips (for LG CX OLED users) 2021/06/23 20:10:37 (permalink)
*sigh*

I tried the driver that was released yesterday (471.11), had some issues and eventually a kernal mode heap corruption BSOD, so I reverted to 466.77, at which point an entirely new problem cropped up.  Now there are black bars on the left and right sides of the screen when the resolution is set to PC 3840x2160.  If I set it to TV 3840x2160, everything displays normally, but the refresh rate is limited to 60 Hz.  If I set it to 4096x2160 PC (120 Hz), everything looks fine, but then I'm guessing I'm wasting processing power pushing extra pixels and that the image is probably distorted a bit as a result.  

I read that this is a known issue with this monitor (CX 48) here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED_Gaming/comments/l4oi8x/lg_cx_48_resolution_help/gkpusle/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

I downloaded CRU and followed the instructions, but it doesn't seem like it changed anything.  I am at a loss as to how to fix this now.

Edit:
I was about to revert back to driver 466.11 today to see if that helped, since that one seemed to work relatively well (comparatively speaking at least), when I figured I'd run CRU one more time.  For some reason the 4096 resolutions were listed there again despite my having deleted them yesterday.  I deleted them again, restarted the graphics driver, and now things appear to be working properly at the correct resolution (3840x2160).  So problem solved... hopefully.
post edited by Ciddharthas - 2021/06/24 09:14:37

sectrix
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra - Experience & Tips (for LG CX OLED users) 2021/06/27 16:10:16 (permalink)
Ciddharthas
Now there are black bars on the left and right sides of the screen when the resolution is set to PC 3840x2160.  If I set it to TV 3840x2160, everything displays normally, but the refresh rate is limited to 60 Hz.  If I set it to 4096x2160 PC (120 Hz), everything looks fine, but then I'm guessing I'm wasting processing power pushing extra pixels and that the image is probably distorted a bit as a result.

I just picked up my card today, and had this exact issue. Fix was this:
1) Open NVCP
2) Adjust desktop size and position
3) Scaling tab
4) Select "No scaling", and "Perform scaling on display"
Ciddharthas
iCX Member
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra - Experience & Tips (for LG CX OLED users) 2021/06/27 17:47:47 (permalink)
sectrix
Ciddharthas
Now there are black bars on the left and right sides of the screen when the resolution is set to PC 3840x2160.  If I set it to TV 3840x2160, everything displays normally, but the refresh rate is limited to 60 Hz.  If I set it to 4096x2160 PC (120 Hz), everything looks fine, but then I'm guessing I'm wasting processing power pushing extra pixels and that the image is probably distorted a bit as a result.

I just picked up my card today, and had this exact issue. Fix was this:
1) Open NVCP
2) Adjust desktop size and position
3) Scaling tab
4) Select "No scaling", and "Perform scaling on display"

Yeah I tried that but it didn't work. The only thing I tried that worked (out of maybe an hour of troubleshooting) was running CRU.  Had the text in chrome revert to being blurry again too and couldn't figure out why.  Tried changing dpi settings and various other things, then realized that the TV itself had changed my HDMI 3 input from "PC" (which it needs to be on to work optimally as a monitor) back to "HDMI 3" during a recent firmware update.  Took me a solid hour to figure that out too.  I had it set to PC before, but the firmware update changed it for some reason.  This display is definitely finicky and requires lots of tender loving care to use, but it's the best display I've ever had hands down.  

bigfatfluffycat
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra - Experience & Tips (for LG CX OLED users) 2021/07/02 12:22:22 (permalink)
So I've had my CX for a few weeks and had it paired with a TUF 3080. I was able to get everything setup to work perfectly at 4k120 and its been jaw dropping. I just upgraded to an EVGA 3080ti FTW3 and now I'm experiencing the "no signal" issue when turning on the "ultra hd deep color" setting. I can get 4k60 to work fine, but the second I switch the ultra hd deep color setting on to be able to get 4k120 the tv goes to no signal. I've double checked everything, tried suggestions from multiple other posts with the same issue and I cannot for the life of me get it to work. What else am I missing here? Any help on the matter is appreciated. 
Page: << < ..678910 > Showing page 9 of 10
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile