2080ti, Warranty Void if removed.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
_JeffP
EVGA Alumni
  • Total Posts : 652
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: 2080ti, Warranty Void if removed. 2019/03/25 23:52:39 (permalink)
It should also be noted that EVGA revised our warranty terms in May, that was a month after the FTC's release. 

Everything is security. 
cyberlocc
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 131
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: 2080ti, Warranty Void if removed. 2019/03/27 18:39:13 (permalink)
wmmills
Mountains out of mole hills. Heres the story with the serial number stickers, because that's all that matters. This was a big issue many years ago cause the white stickers used to dry out and fly off the cards and be sucked into psu, case etc... fans and what EVGA did was allow you to remove the serial number sticker and put it in a plastic ziplock bag as long as you keep it with the card and send it with the rma and you call them so they can ok it and put a note in your account that it was a issue. Then they moved to these stickier black stickers and many were put under the backplates, but some did not have back plates and occasionally it was a issue, but the new ones are much better. If you need/want to remove the serial sticker from the backplate, being there is another one on the card anyway, and save it into a bag so it doesn't get lost or damaged and you called them and explained this issue, they would more than likely work with you and it would not void your warranty. They are very flexible and def take care of there customers who have honest issues and try to do the right thing. Actually, ive seen them give the benefit of the doubt to customers that surely shouldn't have gotten it and some that were almost def pulling scams, although that hasn't really cropped up so much in the last few years.

Right I understand that, they use to be cool about it and maybe still are, how there is 2 maybe more posts on the forums right now of them denying 10/20 series RMAs due to this sticker not being there. Hints my concern. I have 2 2080tis, plus blocks, thats almost 3000 dollars in GPUs, I want my warranty in tact. 

the_Scarlet_one
cyberlocc
It could be argued once more, that the sticker isnt even on the device itself. Its on the backplate, a User replaceable part, therefore, it could be argued to repair a replacement backplate was needed which was void of the sticker. 

Cyberlocc,

I want clarify one huge thing, you can replace the backplate. EVGA has a sticker on the PCI slot that matches the Sticker on the backplate.  The serial numbers must match. If you do not like the sticker on the backplate, simply purchase a different backplate and hold onto the original, but make sure you place it back onto the card before RMA if it is ever required. Removal of EITHER serial number will undoubtedly cause you major issues. I do not want to see you go through the heartache and headache you may experience if you remove either of these stickers. Use a piece of black tape to cover it or replace the backplate with one you like more.. or grab a spare off of EBay or something.

This next part gets very long winded.. click the spoiler button if you are ready to read a lot:

Spoiler

You are missing the point of the FTC wording.  The serial number sticker is NOT a seal.  The serial number is not a seal, it does not seal anything.  https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2018/04/ftc-staff-warns-companies-it-illegal-condition-warranty-coverage . No where does the FTC mention you can remove the Serial Number. Notice the FTC wording specifically says Seal Definition of a seal: 

a device or substance that is used to join two things together so as to prevent them from coming apart or to prevent anything from passing between them.

cyberlocc
Its fine, this will be my last EVGA product, I will switch to Asus and MSI, who have updated their policy's accordingly.

Now, to be honest, it seems that you have not actually taken the time to read the warranty terms of the other manufacturers that you are threatening to go with. You seem to have read two reddit threads as well as two very poorly worded articles and interpreted them incorrectly, and now you are trying to say it is illegal practice. Here is a few examples for reference. Specifically, ASUS and MSI both state that if you damage or remove a serial number, your warranty is void. Both companies were previously placing seals over screws to keep users from opening their GPU to service thermal paste and thermal pads.  Seals.. to stop users from getting to the screws.  That was what they changed.  They removed the seals and changed the wording saying that users could not disassemble their cards at all.

ASUS: https://www.asus.com/us/support/article/677/
The warranty will not apply to or be valid under conditions including but not limited to the following:
     The serial number of the ASUS product, components or accessories has been altered, cancelled, removed, or otherwise not valid as identified by ASUS.
MSI: https://us.msi.com/page/warranty
     Defacing of product labeling (label alterations and falsifying, serial number missing, serial number no longer discernible, serial number invalid). All serial numbers are recorded and tracked for warranty purposes.

Colorful: https://en.colorful.cn/channels/45.html (they covered this twice)
     The warranty label has been tornoff, destroyed or blurred;
     The Serial Number is not inconformity with the product;
Galax: http://www.galax.com/en/support#jm-tab-policy
     Product Label or series number is missing or destroyed 
Gigabyte Doesn't even publicly display warranty terms.  You have to register for an account, so I did that just to address your accusations even further: https://ggcs.gigabyte.com/WarrantyTerms.aspx (you can create an account and login to verify I am telling the truth.)
     This limited Warranty is also invalid if any serial number on the product has been altered or removed.
PowerColor: https://www.powercolor.com/rma
     Removal and/or damaging of serial number sticker(s) on the back of the product will VOID all warranties.  <- They are super serious and put VOID in red to really drive home the point.

VisionTek: https://www.visiontek.com/support/warranty-information.html
     Removal of Serial/Part number sticker
Sapphire: https://support.sapphiret.../warranty.asp?lang=eng
     Products that do not have the same serial number on the product and the original receipt.
close

Ok, I think I have everything edited in properly, with a couple of things used as proof of what has been stated numerous times.

I cant replace the back plate though, because EVGA does not sell said back plate. If they sold it, I would buy it, problem solved. However they do not sell it, I use Hydro Copper blocks, so other back plates are not compatible. If I would have bought EK blocks I could have used EK back plates, and not had this issue, so I am kind of being punished by buying EVGAs blocks, and they cost more. 

blackpanther26
I do agree with the fact that the serial number on the back plate can become an eyesore for open air case like Test Benches and with the cards back plate to the tempered window as you are looking at it. How ever if you don't like the sticker you could always swap out for a nice ek back plate? 

Yep and as a Bench user, with the PC on the back of the card of me, most of the time, thats all I see is a huge sticker on the back of 3k worth of GPUs. Thats irritating. Ek backplate does is not compatible with a Hydro Copper block, and I like EVGAs. If they would sell me some, I would buy them happily to ensure my warranty. 

I know alot of people are saying its petty, but lets put this into prospective, a lot of people have 3k dollar cars, you think someone would buy a car with a Huge Sticker on it that they were told they could not removed? I pull the stickers off my ram, few weeks in. If the Ram needs RMAed, I will throw it away, problem their is not, it was 200 bucks. A 1200 dollar GPU, ya not the same thing. 

EVGATech_LeeM
the_Scarlet_one

We seem to have a thread like this every so often.

The serial number sticker on the upper right is basically a serial number sticker, along with UPC/EAN.  The lower serial number sticker is usually a manufacturer sticker from our factory, for internal tracking.  For warranty purposes, we need to know when a product is purchased or shipped, so a serial number is necessary to register the product.  If a person was to lose the serial number sticker on the graphics card (it comes off, gets defaced, etc.), we can use the serial number from the box, if it's still available.  As noted above, if your s/n sticker is falling off, just store it someplace safe, notify us in advance that the s/n sticker will not be on the card, include it with your RMA, and we can take care of that.  It's not recommended to remove it, of course, but sometimes it can't be helped.

The "EVGA" sticker on the left side is a tamper sticker, but it's not a "Warranty Void if Removed" sticker.  It's actually incorrectly placed, as it should be over the screw above it.  This sticker is only to notify our RMA team that a person has opened it, so that they can go through and check the condition of the card, and make sure all thermal paste/thermal pads are in place in order to recertify it.  Breaking this sticker or removing it does not void your warranty.

My card does not have that sticker that says EVGA on it. 

And I appreciate your reply, however my issue comes in with the fact, that there is posts on this forum of warranty's being denied over this sticker. And that this stickers location is horrid. 

I understand, not wanting to remove the back plate, to see the sticker. However it could have been on the bottom of the cooler or something. 90% of people that are buying 1200+ dollar GPUs have a window in their case. We do not want to look at this sticker, we dont want to share pictures of our rig and have to go in and black the serial out of the sticker, this is the most ridiculous placement location you could have put it. In the past the location made more sense, there was a hole in the box to see the serial, however that is not the case anymore. My RTX boxes, have no hole that sticker is not shown in the box. Its an eyesore with zero reason for its location. 

Are you guys ever going to sell the back plate separately? As I will just buy some to make my life easier and protect the sticker as well.  

Heini2
It's already been suggested but I'll repeat for you, get in touch with EVGA customer Service and ask them if it's OK to remove it. Otherwise you can switch to which other brand you wish but you'll regret the decision if "real" customer service is ever needed.

Well TBH, the mountain is just adding up. And fingers crossed with never need warranty anyway. 
However between the gaudy sticker. 
The lack of Power on EVGA cards bios, Galax is now at 400ws, and my cards limit is what 350? and watching Aida, it downclocks if it hits 340.....
Custom cable for the leds, so I cannot control with Aura, even when a lot of card company's allow Aura to control their leds stock. 

As to that, I have rarely had to warranty anything, I dont warranty stuff thats my fault, and I haven't had much stuff break, and the stuff that usually does break isnt worth my time to warranty, less than ~200 and I usually dont bother, isnt worth it. off the top of my head, I have had to Warranty a RIVBE, a Sapphire 290x, and a Corsair PSU, all of those went great, with zero issues. I know others have problems, I haven't. 

Also like I said, if I would have bought any other block from any other company I could have used their back plate and there would be zero issues. So now I am being punished for supporting EVGA further and using the HC blocks. 

And I realized and pointed out, that are shady people, but that is even more reason to say is this sticker on a Removable back plate? The date of purchase stuff makes sense in some light, but as the OG owner of a Card from EVGA directly, and my second card is from new egg, first is registered second will be tomorrow when it arrives. The dates are registered, Invoices logged, and to be told stare a ugly sticker on your 1400 dollar GPU, or lose warranty is a kick in the face. 
post edited by cyberlocc - 2019/03/27 19:19:04
chrisdglong
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 7220
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: 2080ti, Warranty Void if removed. 2019/03/27 18:54:04 (permalink)
Sounds class action to me.
AHowes
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6681
  • Ribbons : 27
Re: 2080ti, Warranty Void if removed. 2019/03/27 20:15:39 (permalink)
That's sticker is worth $1400. The price of an ounce of gold I bet.

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.2Ghz Single HUGE Custom Water Loop.
Asus Z390 ROG Extreme XI MB
G.Skill Trident Z 32GB (4x8GB) 4266MHz DDR4 
EVGA 2080ti K|NGP|N w/ Hydro Copper block.  
34" Dell Alienware AW3418DW 1440 Ultra Wide GSync Monitor
Thermaltake Core P7 Modded w/ 2x EK Dual D5 pump top,2 x EK XE 480 2X 360 rads.1 Corsair 520 Rad.
GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10323
  • Ribbons : 48
Re: 2080ti, Warranty Void if removed. 2019/03/28 00:35:17 (permalink)
I wonder how much losses have these companies endured on scammers who play the sticker game?  Not saying this is the case here but we should also give it a chance and see it from a different angle on why the things are the way they are.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
cyberlocc
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 131
Re: 2080ti, Warranty Void if removed. 2019/03/28 07:48:27 (permalink)
Right well that's a good point, which is why I stated the backplate is a bad spot for this.

Not only that, but for that very reason, as someone else said, the Serial should be etched into the card, that way there is no "Sticker Game".

That said I don't really see how the "Sticker Game" could cost them anything. In my experience at least, a GPU doesn't really die after years, unless it's killed or damaged. Even degredation I'm not sure about.

My 290xs we're on custom bios pushing 425ws at insane clocks, back when they were semi recent, my step brother still runs them (he is about to replace them now) at 425ws, every day, for what 5-6 years? They are still just fine. Not only that, but I bought them as Used Miners, and custom biosed and pushed the brakes of them, 6 years later, and they are still running. The 3 I sold to him anyway don't know what happened to the other 2.
post edited by cyberlocc - 2019/03/28 07:51:24
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: 2080ti, Warranty Void if removed. 2019/03/28 09:53:47 (permalink)
The original argument was that the sticker is illegal. It is not. Even if it isn’t aesthetically pleasing, it is still legal.

If you don’t want to see the sticker, spend a couple of dollars on a roll of black painters tape and cover the sticker. Painters tape should peel off without damaging the backplate or the sticker, and will conceal the sticker from view.

If you are willing to throw away $200 ram because you admit to throwing away the sticker, then this shouldn’t be a problem here. You openly admit to knowing the sticker voided your warranty on the ram which is why you throw away the ram. It almost sounds like you hold a double standard based on price.

Cars do come with stickers, some that can’t be removed. That is why people research before they buy, not after.

That argument is relatively invalid as the VIN number is stamped and printed all over the car, even in plain site sometimes. If you removed the vin number, you wouldn’t have a warranty either as you couldn’t prove the vin for the car is correct.

Since you mention cars, if you were to remove the stock radiator and install a high performance radiator and it caused problems with the engine, you would like void the warranty for making mechanical changes that were not authorized.
post edited by the_Scarlet_one - 2019/03/28 09:57:51
chrisdglong
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 7220
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: 2080ti, Warranty Void if removed. 2019/03/30 23:16:14 (permalink)
Sounds like the only way to settle this is in court. At the very least we should all complain to the FTC, let them threaten legal action. It is CLEARLY illegal. 
post edited by chrisdglong - 2019/03/30 23:22:35
hamsterzagard
  • Total Posts : 15
Re: 2080ti, Warranty Void if removed. 2019/03/31 02:39:50 (permalink)
They cant etch the serial to the card itself as they might re-certified the card under different serial later on. But hiding the sticker out of plain sight should be easy enough to do
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21173
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: 2080ti, Warranty Void if removed. 2019/03/31 07:54:15 (permalink)
chrisdglong
Sounds like the only way to settle this is in court. At the very least we should all complain to the FTC, let them threaten legal action. It is CLEARLY illegal. 

Which part is clearly illegal? It seems totally legal to me. Please fully read the_scarlet_one's response #22 on the previous page.

The intent of the sticker law is to make it illegal for stickers to be used as anti-tamper devices which prevent users from repairing or servicing their products. EVGA never has prevented users from repairing or servicing their products.

So, which part is illegal?

hamsterzagard
They cant etch the serial to the card itself as they might re-certified the card under different serial later on. But hiding the sticker out of plain sight should be easy enough to do

I agree. I don't understand why being able to see the supposedly ugly sticker is such a big deal, but if it could be hidden better, why not hide it a bit better?

EVGA should place the sticker on the side of the cooler facing the motherboard/PCI-E slot. Then, no one could see it when the card is installed. And, if someone takes the stock cooler off to install water cooling, the user has to keep the stock cooler in a safe place to reinstall later. Nothing in the warranty terms would change since the user is already required to retain the stock cooler for warranty reasons. But, of course, some coolers would need to be designed differently to have an extra piece of metal/plastic added, big enough for the sticker to attach.
post edited by ty_ger07 - 2019/03/31 08:02:51

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

frobi6852
  • Total Posts : 14
Re: 2080ti, Warranty Void if removed. 2019/04/07 06:20:55 (permalink)
blackpanther26
I do agree with the fact that the serial number on the back plate can become an eyesore for open air case like Test Benches and with the cards back plate to the tempered window as you are looking at it. How ever if you don't like the sticker you could always swap out for a nice ek back plate? 

And there ls the issue, that sticker covers one of the screws that mount the EVGA backplate
transdogmifier
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6116
  • Ribbons : 17
Re: 2080ti, Warranty Void if removed. 2019/04/07 06:37:57 (permalink)
chrisdglong
Sounds class action to me.

Yes, you get 2 dollars, the lawyers get 700 million.

Not a good choice. TALK to the company nicely instead of being a jerk.

AMD Ryzen 7900x3d
Deepcool LT720
Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X670 (Might change..don't like this board)
eVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming (Hybrid kit on it)
Asus ROG Swift PG43UQ 4k Monitor
eVGA 1600W Supernova T2 PSU
32GB Kingston 6000 DDR5 (2x16GB) Fury
Corsair MP600 Pro 2TB (Boot)
Corsair MP600 2TB (Games/Data)
Phanteks P500A Case

ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: 2080ti, Warranty Void if removed. 2019/04/07 07:05:51 (permalink)
frobi6852
blackpanther26

And there ls the issue, that sticker covers one of the screws that mount the EVGA backplate

No it doesn't. It shouldn't. Show us a picture.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium

the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: 2080ti, Warranty Void if removed. 2019/04/07 07:08:23 (permalink)
ty_ger07
frobi6852

There is one sticker that may cover one screw, and it is the EVGA EVGA EVGA sticker that doesn’t say anything about warranties. Its probably the same non-issue sticker that has been around for nearly 3 years that doesn’t affect warranty at all but people keep assuming it is a warranty void sticker.

The sticker below the green arrow is not a warranty void sticker.
post edited by the_Scarlet_one - 2019/04/07 07:13:07
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: 2080ti, Warranty Void if removed. 2019/04/07 07:12:14 (permalink)
the_Scarlet_one
ty_ger07
frobi6852
blackpanther26

One sticker does, it is the EVGA EVGA EVGA sticker that doesn’t say anything about warranties. The same non-issue sticker that has been around for nearly 3 years that doesn’t affect warranty at all.

Yes, but how many times does the conversation need to repeat? I would have to assume that the person read this thread before posting such a claim. That's why I asked for a picture to avoid confusion.

the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: 2080ti, Warranty Void if removed. 2019/04/07 07:15:57 (permalink)
ty_ger07
Yes, but how many times does the conversation need to repeat? I would have to assume that the person read this thread before posting such a claim. That's why I asked for a picture to avoid confusion.

It needs to be repeated every time someone assumes the wrong thing, as it has been for 3 years. There are still articles that can be found saying that the tamper sticker will void a warranty from when it was originally introduced, and even though is it explained constantly, people still think that it will.

Hopefully the user above will provide clarification of the tamper sticker isn’t the one they are referring to.
GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10323
  • Ribbons : 48
Re: 2080ti, Warranty Void if removed. 2019/04/07 20:21:45 (permalink)
I didn't realize I had one more screw because of that silly sticker.  I get it's there to tell EVGA it's been tampered with.  Luckily I didn't snap my blackplate and PCB in half because of that dam thing.  Wish they never did that OR at least give us a heads up as it wasn't mentioned in the Hydro Copper instructions manual but other than that, all is well.  

Edit: I should note I'm talking about smaller EVGA branded sticker and not the serial.
post edited by GTXJackBauer - 2019/04/07 21:04:03

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
_JeffP
EVGA Alumni
  • Total Posts : 652
Re: 2080ti, Warranty Void if removed. 2019/04/07 21:01:04 (permalink)
frobi6852

The serial number sticker is placed on a flat, blank spot on the backplate and does not cover ANY screws. If your sticker was miss-placed please send photos to support@evga.com so that we may assist. 

Everything is security. 
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile