Author
ProDigit
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 465
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 4
2019/04/28 05:48:05 (permalink)
Hey guys,
I'm hoping to upgrade one of my graphics cards (an RTX 2080), to an RTX 2080 ti soon, for folding.
EVGA makes 3 cards I'm interested in.
- One with 2 fans, with a lower boost clock of 1650 Mhz, and one with 3 fans and a 1750 Mhz boost clock.
 I might go with the higher boost clock card, as I plan on using this card nearly 24/7.
- A hybrid card,
- And a Kingpin.

My questions on these cards, relating to folding:
1- I can't seem to find the Kingpin card on Amazon. How much do they go for, and where to buy?
2- What's the difference between the Kingpin and the hybrid card in terms of power consumption and performance?
3- And what is the difference between the hybrid card (1750Mhz), VS the 3 fan air cooled (1750 Mhz) card in terms of power consumption and performance?
3- I always say that water cooling makes sense in situations where the card will occasionally be stressed to boost clock speeds, mut mostly remains below boost speeds; like in games that run high frame rates with occasional frame rate drop in lots of screen artifacts; So that the liquid won't get saturated by the heat.
 For folding, the card will need to remain in boost a long long time. Hours, days, weeks on end... The temperature rarely changes (just in between Work Units it gets a short split few seconds of cooldown).
 It is my personal belief that watercooling in such case makes very little difference to the card.
 Am I incorrect in this assumption?
 Also, I presume that the liquid cooling part of a hybrid card, consumes more power than an air cooled one?

If so, would you say that for folding, there is no benefit of having a watercooled card (other than perhaps it having a smaller profile, which in my case doesn't matter, as the card will be placed on the bottom PCIE 4x slot of the motherboard, and has nothing to obstruct airflow)?
post edited by ProDigit - 2019/04/28 05:55:34

8 Replies Related Threads

ipkha
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2308
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: 2080 ti 2019/04/28 06:29:51 (permalink)
    I'd go hybrid for simplicity. Factory overclocks aren't indicative of actual GPU boost clocks.
    Lower temps equal higher boost clock so you definitely want water cooling.
    Kingpin isn't worth it for normal or non ln2 uses. The extra stuff just won't benefit folding and gaming. It's just targeted at ln2 benchmark use.
    Just my 2 cents.

robbysites
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1978
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: 2080 ti 2019/04/28 09:10:39 (permalink)
    ipkha
    I'd go hybrid for simplicity. Factory overclocks aren't indicative of actual GPU boost clocks.
    Lower temps equal higher boost clock so you definitely want water cooling.
    Kingpin isn't worth it for normal or non ln2 uses. The extra stuff just won't benefit folding and gaming. It's just targeted at ln2 benchmark use.
    Just my 2 cents.

Hybrid all the way!! It's on water out of the box, takes seconds to install. Temps will be much lower.

All that being said I have 2 1080 Hybrids a 1070 Hybrid and a 1060. I used my evga bucks to buy an air cooled 2070.

rs

MY AFFILIATE CODE-000H94333W

scott@bjorn3d
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 693
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: 2080 ti 2019/04/29 04:35:08 (permalink)
    Hybrid if you are only going one card.  If you get the real folding bug and start adding cards then you need to look at air cooling which is what I do or custom loop for cooling.  I change cards to often for me to mess with loops.

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30806
    • Ribbons : 123
    Re: 2080 ti 2019/04/29 08:12:05 (permalink)
    I prefer water cooled myself & hybrid are better than air cooled from a performance standpoint

Heat buildup in your Water Loop should Not be a performance issue; unless your loop is using too little radiator / fan, or your in a Hot room

1) Kingpin cards are restricted "Associate Member Exclusive" $1900 + shipping  This card is designed for the OC world that tries to set records

Hybrid use the radiator to cool the GPU and the heat spreader also cools the RAM - Blower fan keeps power & RAM cool - Hot air exits the case

ACX type cooler keep the card cool - However, you need to vent the heat to outside of the case, before it is drawn back into the ACX cooler

New Card - consider the 5yr or 10yr Extended Warranty Option ---> EVGA Extended Warranty

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

Older RIG projects RTX Project  Nibbler

When someone does not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place; you can't use reason to convince them otherwise!
    ProDigit
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 465
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: 2080 ti 2019/04/29 16:18:43 (permalink)
    My current setup is a folding rack, with motherboard sitting horizontal, and cards vertical.
    I currently have a 120mm fan (I believe) that fits perfectly under 2 card's front metal lip, and the rack, pulling the hot air between 2 cards out.
    It is very similar to the hybrid card's external fan in size.

There are still more questions.
    1- How long are the flexible hoses?
    In my case, I will have to move the external fan past the metal piece, that usually mounts on the case.
    That way I could use the fan, to suck out the air between 2 cards (currently my top card is a blower type 2080, and my bottom card an open type 2080. The open 2080 I might replace with a hybrid or open type card 2080 ti).
    So the hoses need to be long enough to have the fan reach this far.
    Using an open type, air cooled, won't be a problem, as the bottom card is close to the PSU fan, which sucks out the air from the card, through the PSU unit, exiting the rack.
    2- Is this a closed circuit?
    If not, the liquid will surely evaporate over time.
    If it is, it might be hard to replenish the liquid.
    I don't see any sort of buffering device, that will catch bubbles or air.
    3- What is the power consumption of the cooling circuit?
    for occasional cooling a few watts won't matter much, but even 10Watts more power draw, 24/7 can result in $15 a year higher overall cost. So anything costing me more electricity, won't be very beneficial, unless it really comes with a speed bump.
    Speed bumps on cards are set between 50-60C, 60-70C, 70-80C, and above 83C. 
    So if my card, aircooled would run at 79C, and water cooled it runs at 71C, I won't see any performance boost at all.
    If the air cooled card runs at 71C, and the water cooled card runs at 69C, it might jump to the next GPU boost speed level. Then again, this level is easily attained by overclocking the card to the same speeds.
    I suspect the card has a pump that will keep the fluid in motion, as I don't believe for such a small unit convection will work well.
    So when it gets more than a few watts of difference on the cooling circuit, I might pass on the hybrid card.
    4- I'm also concerned about the hose lifetime, operating at high temperatures for prolonged amounts of time, in a chemical... I'm sure even the best rubber will rot over time, and start leaking.
    Since this is a server that is mostly unattended, leaking hoses could be disastrous (only noticed perhaps hours or days later).
    5- Despite all this, the hybrid card in a way, still is aircooled. Instead of a fan blowing directly on a cooling circuit, now the cooling circuit is separate from the card, but a similar aircooling is going on.
    I wonder if it's really that much better?

To me it still sounds like the air cooling is the better choice.
    post edited by ProDigit - 2019/04/29 16:24:22
    somethingc00l
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 752
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: 2080 ti 2019/04/30 09:07:02 (permalink)
    I think your concerns about hose and coolant life are unfounded. The majority of the time the pump fails before the hoses or fluid go. Yes it is technically "aircooled" as the secondary heat exchange is to atmosphere, but the radiator allows for increased surface area and fan efficiency compared to the regular air cooler.

IMHO for a 24/7 folding card I'd go with the base model air cooler. More long term reliable that hybrid, and once heat saturated a hybrid will get you maybe 50-100 Mhz over air cooling. For gaming, hybrid hands down.
    ipkha
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2308
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: 2080 ti 2019/04/30 17:01:13 (permalink)
    I have yet to run into issues with the host length on my aio units. I have 2 hybrids in each rig and while taught, none they are installed at the top of the case on 1 rig and on the other 1 is taking up the rear exhaust slot as 3 roads wouldn't fit across the top of the case (CPU aio).
    They are of course the next best thing to 24/7 and the extended warranty covers the water parts as well.

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30806
    • Ribbons : 123
    Re: 2080 ti 2019/05/01 06:04:13 (permalink)
    Ask those helpful CS reps that EVGA has, they may have the official hose length.

https://www.evga.com/about/contactus/

My 1080Ti FTW3 Hybrids allow a Reach of about 12 inches, without tension (measured from farthest back hose to closest edge of Radiator)

Quick and dirty measurement with tape measure ---> hoses are ~ 14 inch
    (GPUs are mounted, so measurement is not as accurate as if hose were straight)

My AIO Folding Rig

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

Older RIG projects RTX Project  Nibbler

When someone does not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place; you can't use reason to convince them otherwise!
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile