EVGA

1080Ti backplate damage, beyond annoyed, help?

Author
thexcodec
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 917
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 3
2017/06/22 15:38:51 (permalink)
So I opened my fancy new Ti and was all excited until I saw this sticker on the backplate. Thinking it was just something I could peel off, I started to try to peel it off but that failed it got white on the borders from trying to peel it off which made it look really ugly.

So I grabbed a non-harsh (on purpose, did not want to damage anything) cleaning sponge to try to gently get it off....instead, it turned the sticker pure white *AND* the backplate is now damaged as well it looks like which pisses me the hell off now too as it looks like the backplate "paint" is very weakly applied and comes off very easily.

So now the back looks like crap. EVGA could have easily made the sticker a lot smaller and only on the screw or made it pure black or made it more obvious it was anti-tamper.

So what are my options now, the back plate is damaged (paint removed) and the sticker is white...this will kill any resale value in the future. Is it possible to get a new backplate shipped so I can replace mine? Today went from "super excited" to "really mad" as I have my PC as the rooms center peice and the GPU as the key item to look at and it looks terrible.

So yeah, really mad and looking for options. Obviously there is no way this is something I could RMA and hoping I can get a cheap backplate without spending 100$. I have owned (and I am not joking) over 10 GPU's from EVGA and a few motherboards and never seen this type and anti-tamper which is why this occurred, and now I have a ruined back plate.

post edited by Sajin - 2017/06/22 17:51:37

5 Replies Related Threads

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: 1080Ti backplate damage, beyond annoyed, help? 2017/06/22 15:40:21 (permalink)
    Your image is showing the Serial Number, you need to mark out your SN# in your Image.
    Not seeing any read damage, maybe Circle the Damaged area.
    The Sticker is used by EVGA Techs to know that the Back Plate was removed or other changes made to the Card.
    It will not Void the warranty and anything like that, but removing the Serial Number Labels can Void your warranty as stated on them. 
    Not so sure it warrants an RMA but who knows.
    This "anti-tamper" as you call has been used on EVGA cards for while now (GTX 1080 Release), lots of Threads on it.
    Your Back Plate is really two pieces and the Tape Covers both as well as the one screw.
    It is so close to the Motherboard no one will see it.

thexcodec
    I have uploaded an image with a red circle with the damage and blocked out the serial number.

You forgot the Serial number on the Bottom on the Card or Left Side of your Image!
    Did you use Plain Water or a Cleaner Product of some kind or maybe paint thinner.
    Get some Krylon 51602 Flat Black Interior and Exterior Decorator Paint - 12 oz. Aerosol and spray into a cup and use a Q-Tip and touch up the white areas.
    Do Not Spray Paint the Black Plates, this will void the Warranty.
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2017/06/22 16:14:49

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

thexcodec
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 917
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: 1080Ti backplate damage, beyond annoyed, help? 2017/06/22 15:47:23 (permalink)
    I have uploaded an image with a red circle with the damage and blocked out the serial number.
    post edited by thexcodec - 2017/06/22 15:52:40

Quad5Ny
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 401
    • Ribbons : 9
    Re: 1080Ti backplate damage, beyond annoyed, help? 2017/06/22 16:18:30 (permalink)
    Cleaning sponge?  You mean like the ones with a scrubbing side?  If that is the case then the paint missing is on you.

Taking off stickers is almost a learned skill as every material is different.  Keep some lighter fluid (naphtha), 70% isopropyl alcohol (91/99% tends to eat paint and dull plastics), duct tape and a soft spudger on hand.  If you're really careful you can also use a rounded scalpel that has its cutting edge purposefully dulled.

The lighter fluid eats most sticker glues, the spudger is for pushing the sticker off, the duct tape is for grabbing any excess glue and the alcohol is for cleaning the area when done.

As for fixing the damage a black sharpie or black paint pen applied VERY carefully will cover that up.
    Jbj5000
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 125
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: 1080Ti backplate damage, beyond annoyed, help? 2017/07/11 10:01:22 (permalink)
    That sucks, hope they help you out.
    Squall_Rinoa86
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1735
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: 1080Ti backplate damage, beyond annoyed, help? 2017/07/12 00:39:40 (permalink)
    Goo Gone would help remove sticker residue, and leave paint fine..

Doubt they will do much as its only cosmetic. I'd personally would take a sharpie to it.

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2
    My Affiliate Code: AN1FW0VMG6
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile