EVGA

Helpful Replyreal talk: pls streamline process for ICX upgraders to step up to 1080ti

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 31067
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 123
Re: real talk: pls streamline process for ICX upgraders to step up to 1080ti 2017/03/07 11:40:06 (permalink)
TOS violation removed by Moderator

We can all be respectful and still disagree while sharing our thoughts on the EVGA forums.

EVGA Forums Terms of Use
http://forums.evga.com/tm.aspx?m=4682

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

Older RIG projects RTX Project  Nibbler

crazyg0od33
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2085
  • Ribbons : 6
Re: real talk: pls streamline process for ICX upgraders to step up to 1080ti 2017/03/07 11:50:08 (permalink)
Cool GTX
TOS violation removed by Moderator

We can all be respectful and still disagree while sharing our thoughts on the EVGA forums.

EVGA Forums Terms of Use
http://forums.evga.com/tm.aspx?m=4682

Awww man, now I wanna know what they said to me :(
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: real talk: pls streamline process for ICX upgraders to step up to 1080ti 2017/03/07 13:19:45 (permalink)
In theory, once the ICX card is added to your account, you can start the step up process right away, you dont have to wait for the card to be delivered before you can start. Like I said, in theory. Hopefully we will know more soon.
Longh
  • Total Posts : 19
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: real talk: pls streamline process for ICX upgraders to step up to 1080ti 2017/03/07 13:34:45 (permalink)
I'm pending as well. PLEASE EVGA let us streamline the upgrade straight to the TI.

I live in Canada and well... everything cost x2 more here. 
You would save me a lot of money having the card shipped back and forth...

toncij
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 213
Re: real talk: pls streamline process for ICX upgraders to step up to 1080ti 2017/03/07 14:40:30 (permalink)
HeavyHemi
EVGA is not in the business of ensuring the resale value of your purchase. 'There's no burning up in flames' card. ... It is unfortunate, but that isn't EVGA's fault either.

I hope you're not in the business of product sales or PR. For the sake of that business. :)

I buy EVGA products almost since I use computers, and that's a 2nd decade ending now. Out of 4 PSUs, 3 boards and about ~20 GPUs bought from them, had only 1 PSU and 1 GPU die on me. So, yes, I trust EVGA fully. My 1080s are just fine.

But the Internet went up in flames just as EVGA 1080s did. And that hurts. It's, as has always been, really a business of EVGA not to fail at GPU cooling and cause it to burn up in flames. That's exactly why they did offer ICX upgrade program.

As a supporter of the company and someone who adores EVGA RMA model, I'm fine with paying for ICX, but would also expect 1080Ti upgrade available to pay even more. Paying up is simply fine, but only if it won't burn 1500 of my dollars to ashes of resale being impossible. It's simply nothing out of the ordinary offer - a program they always had.

With all the cost I might as well just leave them be (someone calculated it earlier) but the offer should be at the table.
HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 15665
  • Ribbons : 135
Re: real talk: pls streamline process for ICX upgraders to step up to 1080ti 2017/03/07 16:50:14 (permalink)
IceCold_Swede
HeavyHemi
toncij
LOL, no. :)

The very problem is that, in a case when one does not want to step-up or upgrade, you can sell your old card with some loss and buy a new one regularly.

This time tho, EVGA messed up the whole production line and that made resale value for their 1080 line - trash. Doesn't matter if your card may survive the heat or last long, it's simple the problem of loosing one upgrade path: selling a card for a reasonable amount and buying a new one. A 750 FTW would be worth maybe 500, but with the cooling fiasco it's worth how much? Can you sell a "will burn up in flames any moment"-card to anyone?

Now, the ICX is 100 more on the price, which MUST include something, especially since 1080Ti is the very same price as old FTWs now. You'd have to pay 100 for ICX then 100 for the Ti. Might as well bought Titans for 1200 at that rate and not bother with all the hassle being a result of customers trusting EVGA not to mess up "bigly" as they did.

'There's no burning up in flames' card. That's an internet myth invented by folks that should know better. No offense, but you're you're adding to the problem by repeating it. It's unfortunate that the herd mentality viral nature of the internet turns these rare incidents into OMGWTBBQ every EVGA 10 series card is like an old road flare waiting to explode. It is unfortunate, but that isn't EVGA's fault either.

Ohhh really!? My card went up in smoke and sparks two weeks after a got it. Im i a internet myth also? It also happened to a guy in my gaming clan. Are we both internets myths maybe!?! 

Read what I posted again. I did not say "GPUs never fail". I said the hysteria that every 10** was catching fire was a myth. Seriously, how did you misread that? This is exactly how things get exaggerated.

toncij
HeavyHemi
EVGA is not in the business of ensuring the resale value of your purchase. 'There's no burning up in flames' card. ... It is unfortunate, but that isn't EVGA's fault either.

I hope you're not in the business of product sales or PR. For the sake of that business. :)

I buy EVGA products almost since I use computers, and that's a 2nd decade ending now. Out of 4 PSUs, 3 boards and about ~20 GPUs bought from them, had only 1 PSU and 1 GPU die on me. So, yes, I trust EVGA fully. My 1080s are just fine.

But the Internet went up in flames just as EVGA 1080s did. And that hurts. It's, as has always been, really a business of EVGA not to fail at GPU cooling and cause it to burn up in flames. That's exactly why they did offer ICX upgrade program.

As a supporter of the company and someone who adores EVGA RMA model, I'm fine with paying for ICX, but would also expect 1080Ti upgrade available to pay even more. Paying up is simply fine, but only if it won't burn 1500 of my dollars to ashes of resale being impossible. It's simply nothing out of the ordinary offer - a program they always had.

With all the cost I might as well just leave them be (someone calculated it earlier) but the offer should be at the table.

I don't get why you're promoting a myth. There's no evidence they are failing at a higher rate ore catching fire. You're just adding to it even though there is not any more being reported. The cooling issue is separate. And I agree they could have done that a lot better.
post edited by HeavyHemi - 2017/03/07 16:54:30

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 25794
  • Ribbons : 110
Re: real talk: pls streamline process for ICX upgraders to step up to 1080ti 2017/03/07 17:55:02 (permalink)
ipaine

I think there is at least two major flaws I see in your well thought out argument. First we would not be waiting without a GPU in our machines. The process could be exactly how it is right now for the icx upgrade and the step-up, you don't send in your card until they have one for you. So really you are out of a card less time, since you would only have to do it once, instead of twice without a direct path. Second, I don't think there would be any cutting in line, I don't want us put to the front of the line. I think it should work like this.
  • Once the approval for an ICX card comes through they send you an email with 7 days to pay
  • In that email have an option to instead of taking the ICX, you join the step-up queue for the 1080ti
  • You continue to use you acx card while in the queue for the 1080ti step-up
  • Once a 1080ti is available for you, get email with cost of step-up + $99 for icx upgrade (maybe charge that $99 when you join the queue)
  • Pay and then ship card in
  • Get 1080ti and happiness for all :-)
This way you don't join the queue until you would have been getting a ICX anyways so no line jumping, plus this means that you are still waiting for the ICX like everyone else so again no jumping the line. And this also helps address the people that have already gotten their ICX cards, they will be able to enter the step-up as soon as it is available, while the rest still have to wait for their ICX upgrade emails.

Now of course if there is no step-up offered by the time they get through all the icx upgrades then the entire thing is a moo point (you know, a cows opinion). But like I have said before and will keep saying until this is all said and done, this not only saves their customers money, it also will save Evga a large chunk of cash for shipping alone. Not to mention the amount of cards that will immediately be pre-owned without a reason to be.

And that is my $.02.

Well I tried 

And yep, was thinking RMA process for the ICX, not the upgrade. That process has been FAST!

As for your proposal. It too is flawed...

For those that are even having the opportunity to move up the the ICX and are outside of the 90 Step up window on the card they are upgrading to the ICX, would not even have the opportunity to step up until they paid for the new ICX card that activates the new 90 step up window (The day the GPU ships to the consumer).

The GPU has to be registered and in the 90 step up window per the guidelines to even do the step up. 

As such...

I think leaving things as they are is the best practice. 

ipaine
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 307
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: real talk: pls streamline process for ICX upgraders to step up to 1080ti 2017/03/07 19:26:50 (permalink)
Afterburner
ipaine

I think there is at least two major flaws I see in your well thought out argument. First we would not be waiting without a GPU in our machines. The process could be exactly how it is right now for the icx upgrade and the step-up, you don't send in your card until they have one for you. So really you are out of a card less time, since you would only have to do it once, instead of twice without a direct path. Second, I don't think there would be any cutting in line, I don't want us put to the front of the line. I think it should work like this.
  • Once the approval for an ICX card comes through they send you an email with 7 days to pay
  • In that email have an option to instead of taking the ICX, you join the step-up queue for the 1080ti
  • You continue to use you acx card while in the queue for the 1080ti step-up
  • Once a 1080ti is available for you, get email with cost of step-up + $99 for icx upgrade (maybe charge that $99 when you join the queue)
  • Pay and then ship card in
  • Get 1080ti and happiness for all :-)
This way you don't join the queue until you would have been getting a ICX anyways so no line jumping, plus this means that you are still waiting for the ICX like everyone else so again no jumping the line. And this also helps address the people that have already gotten their ICX cards, they will be able to enter the step-up as soon as it is available, while the rest still have to wait for their ICX upgrade emails.

Now of course if there is no step-up offered by the time they get through all the icx upgrades then the entire thing is a moo point (you know, a cows opinion). But like I have said before and will keep saying until this is all said and done, this not only saves their customers money, it also will save Evga a large chunk of cash for shipping alone. Not to mention the amount of cards that will immediately be pre-owned without a reason to be.

And that is my $.02.

Well I tried 

And yep, was thinking RMA process for the ICX, not the upgrade. That process has been FAST!

As for your proposal. It too is flawed...

For those that are even having the opportunity to move up the the ICX and are outside of the 90 Step up window on the card they are upgrading to the ICX, would not even have the opportunity to step up until they paid for the new ICX card that activates the new 90 step up window (The day the GPU ships to the consumer).

The GPU has to be registered and in the 90 step up window per the guidelines to even do the step up. 

As such...

I think leaving things as they are is the best practice. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not thinking leaving it is bad. I mean really we are lucky they are even doing the icx upgrade option. But I will echo others about the shipping costs when you are not in the US. Being in Canada it will cost me about $60 each card to ship it. Add to that I pretty much have to take the slow shipping from Evga, the extra cost to move up is $53.49 (which is simply terrible). Not saying that is their fault but it is rather high for US to Can shipping.

And in my method, I agree that the best time to pay for the ICX upgrade is when we first get that email, once it is paid is when we should be able to go into the 1080ti step up. You have to understand I am writing these with the hope that Evga would at least consider it because of me being in Canada and having two cards. So just to step-up to the 1080ti we are talking about $240 CDN in shipping costs. Let alone the $200 for the upgrades and then the $40 for the step-up. So total in CDN is about $560 or $280 per card. So you can see why I would want to be able to cut down on the shipping costs. And there is the time as well. We are talking about at about two weeks without the cards, each time for a month of no cards. If I knew I could sell my cards for enough I would just do that, it would get me a ti way quicker I'm sure, but will cost more I think. I think I would have to sell my ftw's for $650 CDN to be worth it and I just don't think I will be able to get that for them.

So while yes I am very grateful for even the chance to be able to step-up to the 1080ti because of the program, I just think there is a better way to do it for everyone involved.

@crazyg0od33 I actually agree that they should offer a shipping label. That said on the bright side you can enter the 1080ti queue as soon as possible since you already have yours. And the other bright side, you get to pay way less than I do for all of it. Heck your shipping twice is still cheaper than me shipping once.
toncij
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 213
Re: real talk: pls streamline process for ICX upgraders to step up to 1080ti 2017/03/08 23:09:11 (permalink)
HeavyHemi
I don't get why you're promoting a myth. There's no evidence they are failing at a higher rate ore catching fire. You're just adding to it even though there is not any more being reported. The cooling issue is separate. And I agree they could have done that a lot better.

Let's hope you're right... I never experienced the problem and I don't know anyone who did and I know several owners.

Regarding the step-up, I find it fine both ways - direct or indirect, doesn't matter.
bryanernster
  • Total Posts : 23
Re: real talk: pls streamline process for ICX upgraders to step up to 1080ti 2017/03/09 12:01:48 (permalink)
yes i agree they should save some $$$ and just give the option to pay the 99 + the step-up cost because obviously i'm not the only 1 wanting to do the icx upgrade and then do the step up to a 1080 ti. Seems like it just cost EVGA more money to require the upgrade and then do the step up since they have to sell all those 1080 icx as return or referb then.... 
Armourer Dave
  • Total Posts : 18
Re: real talk: pls streamline process for ICX upgraders to step up to 1080ti 2017/03/09 14:26:08 (permalink)
I'm very interested in this... Still pending in the ICX queue, so it would be awsome if the ti's when announced where offered as a step up to us.
ipaine
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 307
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: real talk: pls streamline process for ICX upgraders to step up to 1080ti 2017/03/11 10:24:23 (permalink)
Ok, so this is what I got in regards to going from acx straight to the 1080ti.

Hello,

There was much discussion over this issue, and unfortunately we decided that customers would need to complete the entire iCX Upgrade process before being able to start a step-up. I apologize for the inconvenience. If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Regards,
EVGA

So that is that. It sucks a bit, but at least we have the chance to do this in the first place.
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile