EVGA

Rig made Popular Mechanics!

Author
ltorsini
  • Total Posts : 20
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/10/09 16:14:37 (permalink)
This is a little self serving and I'm sure I'll hear from all the critics... but I really dig this community, I'm the world's BIGGEST EVGA fan and it's too cool not to share.  I've ogled the pages of Popular mechanics since I was a kid but I really never dreamt I'd build anything myself that would make it to print - but it did in september.  Here's the backstory: I've been building liquid cooled computers for about as long as there has been kit to build them, just can't get enough. Back in 2006 I started building Henry - the 1st rig in my ModsRig profile.  Henry started in 2006 as a semi powerful media machine that I used a dodgy Thermaltake Bigwater kit to cool the CPU.  He had a quad core AMD Phenom and made some pretty serious heat when I was gaming or... anything really.  It made enough heat that I started thinking about how to use it for something other than running up my air conditioning bill.

When I bought and remodeled a house in ~2009 I got a little nuts.  I rigged a heat exchanger to preheat the hot water heater and plumbed my man cave with hydronic computer generated floor heat.  I also built a heat exchanger and sunk it under the foundation of the house so I could dump any extra heat I didn't need in the summer right into the ground.  That really worked like charm but I was only pushing about 700W of electricity through my rig and only recovering about 50% of that through the loop, not really enough to make a dent in the winter heating load.  And the thermaltake kit was really not up for the job.

So I went a little nuts and built a monster of a rig out of a ton of ASUS/AMD/EVGA and EKWB kit (sorry Koolance... we tried and failed). It'll pull 1600W fully loaded and makes some serious hot water. Once I got it together and started to put it through it's paces I was really hooked, so I took the last 2 years to optimize this thing to do combined heating and computing.  Along the way I melted a lot of watercooling kit and had to reengineer just about everything in the rig to withstand the unbelievable temperatures it hits.  I've replaced all the poly tubing with high temp silicon wrapped with coils to keep it from rupturing. I machined new brass covers for all 6 EK water blocks, because they started to warp and weep at about 160f.  And after melting the CPVC in my thermal storage system I re engineered the thing out of copper and steel as well as replacing the water I was using with some amazing phase change material (fatty acids and esters - think soap).

Once I had hardened the system so it would withstand extended jaunts above 160f, I had to split the loop and run the north/south bridge, RAM and the two liquid cooled AQUERO 6XTs on their own lower temperature system.  Now the primary loop will exit the rig at 200f and we've hit 190F in the thermal storage tanks - something I certainly thought was not possible when we started... and I'm sure many of you are going to tell me it's not.  The rig runs so hot that it makes steam across the GPUs.

I'm sure there will be plenty of folks to let me know that:
  • won't/doesn't work - ie. I'm full of it
  • is a lame idea - why on earth would you want to run a computer hot?? (there are actually very economic and environmental good reasons - we'll see if anyone wants to talk about them!)
  • breaks the laws of thermodynamics - it doesn't, start here and I'll help out with specifics
  • is a copycat of MicrosoftCloud & Heat, Quarnot Computing or Nerdalize - it's not
  • Popular Mechanics are idiots - Try New Scientist, Network WorldNew York Times, OZY or PRI.
  • Kickstarter was a bad idea - yes, kickstarter was a bad idea. ;-)

Okay guys, I am stepping away from the computer for the weekend (it's my anniversary) so... let me have it!

It's all about heat...

22 Replies Related Threads

JGLuxe
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7192
    • Ribbons : 17
    Re: Rig made Popular Mechanics! 2015/10/09 16:25:54 (permalink)
    wut

i9-12900ks @ | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA

HAZMAN_THE_GREAT
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4805
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: Rig made Popular Mechanics! 2015/10/09 16:26:13 (permalink)
    Thats awesome dude Your rig is a work of art. Its always a good feeling to get recognition for the awesome stuff you did.

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: Rig made Popular Mechanics! 2015/10/09 19:30:47 (permalink)

Congrats.         

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 17692
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re: Rig made Popular Mechanics! 2015/10/09 19:37:09 (permalink)
    Very cool -  Always love Popular Mechanics & popular Science

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    LouisvilleXV
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1504
    Re: Rig made Popular Mechanics! 2015/10/10 04:18:24 (permalink)
    Wow, that's awesome!

Intel i5 4690k @ 4.2 | EVGA GTX 980 SC | Gigabyte Z97X-SLI | 8GB G.Skill Ares | EVGA 600B | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO | 1TB Western Digital Black | EVGA Torq X10 | Corsair K70 | Windows 8.1 Professional
    wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5679
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: Rig made Popular Mechanics! 2015/10/10 06:43:21 (permalink)
    Let you have it?!?!?!? I think that's amazing and proves that if you have the passion, tenacity, skills and, most importantly, the MONEY, you can do anything your mind can dream up. Great idea and fascinating execution with your rig. Theirs nothing wrong with Pop Mechanics, everyone here has grown up with it, for the most part, and was probably one of the pioneers of Tech magazines, so all must pay respect, imo. Anyway, grats to you on your achievement and still having a anniversary to celebrate, lol. :P   \m/

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    nateman_doo
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 11233
    • Ribbons : 56
    Re: Rig made Popular Mechanics! 2015/10/10 09:32:44 (permalink)
    I dont get it.  I do everything i can to keep computers from being hot...and you desire to run everything hot just to heat your boiler?  

My PC cranking keeps my office nice and warm during the winter (and painful during the summer).  I have thought about venting my forge into my forced hot air duct work to re-capture some of the wasted heat... so I always dig recycling energy.

Either way congrats on making it to the magazine!  
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102323
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Rig made Popular Mechanics! 2015/10/11 13:06:36 (permalink)
    I have moved this thread to mods rigs as I felt the subject and thread is best served in that area.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

TECH_DaveB
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 4893
    • Ribbons : 46
    Re: Rig made Popular Mechanics! 2015/10/12 14:51:36 (permalink)
    aka_STEVE_b

I think you mean Warm/hot?

Very interesting idea (almost typed cool myself....)  While I am with Nateman on staying cool, especially if you are not clocking it isn't that bad to let it warm up some.  However in general cool electronics are happy electronics.  Long term aren't you concerned with reducing the the lifespan of the parts you have in the system?
    ltorsini
    Re: Rig made Popular Mechanics! 2015/10/13 07:54:08 (permalink)
    Hi Guys, thanks for the responses!

RushXTC
    wut

Yep... I mentioned it is not an easy thing to understand.  My small team and I are trying to stretch the status quo a bit and look at different operating and business models for computing.  I really haven't found an easy, elegant way of explaining it - yet.

nateman_doo
    I dont get it.  I do everything i can to keep computers from being hot...and you desire to run everything hot just to heat your boiler?  

My PC cranking keeps my office nice and warm during the winter (and painful during the summer).  I have thought about venting my forge into my forced hot air duct work to re-capture some of the wasted heat... so I always dig recycling energy.

nateman_doo,

Not just to heat a boiler but, yes, we are working out solutions to run computers significantly hotter and harder to specifically create heat with computation.  That heat can be used for more than just running a boiler, we can power air conditioning and refrigeration as well.  Consider this: right now when you run your computer you likely run you air conditioner to keep it (and you) cool in the summer as well as running your heater in the winter to supply heat for the rest of the house.  Our hot water heaters run all the time and are the most stable thermal load in a typical house.  When we run these devices we are using the energy for one purpose - making heat/cold.

Computers are just about 100% efficient at turning electricity into heat. Other than the benefits you take out, (gaming/work) which are very hard to assign an energy value, and the energy embodied in the communications you send back to the internet it all turns into heat.  Think about it; the processors/memory/chips make heat, mechanical components like fans move air causing the molecules to collide creating friction (heat), lights emit heat and photons which then make heat when they collide with the case, the wall or some other object.  The same applies to any sound the computer makes... all converts to heat at some point.

Since the biggest loads in our houses currently run on heat (space and domestic hot water) or could be converted to run on heat (air conditioning and refrigeration) with existing technology, we could be getting two (or more) benefits out of the same energy that we are using to just run our heaters or computers today.  One or the other could happen for free, from an energy perspective, if we used computers to make the heat that runs our homes/businesses/economy.  Interestingly, the majority of our economy actually runs on heat, not electricity... but that is a far more confusing topic.

So, your gaming rig/laptop aren't going to make enough heat to have an impact so we aren't talking about converting your current computer to a super computer/heater that runs your house.  We are building high temperature, modular 2-4kW computing appliances that sit in the space your hot water heater sits today and performs computation that datacenters are currently doing to heat your house.  You would also have access to this high powered computer to do whatever you do with it or share/sell the compute power with your community.

It's all about heat...
    ltorsini
    Re: Rig made Popular Mechanics! 2015/10/13 08:13:55 (permalink)
    EVGATech_DaveB
    aka_STEVE_b

I think you mean Warm/hot?

Very interesting idea (almost typed cool myself....)  While I am with Nateman on staying cool, especially if you are not clocking it isn't that bad to let it warm up some.  However in general cool electronics are happy electronics.  Long term aren't you concerned with reducing the the lifespan of the parts you have in the system?

Dave,

In general you are absolutely correct, cool computers are happy computers and heat can dramatically reduce the lifespan of a computer if not managed correctly.  It took us some time to figure out the major culprits in heat related failure, the biggest killer is electromigration.  Heat and high current loads actually pick up and carry the conductor in chips, diminishing the conductor's capacity to carry electricity. There are several ways around this problem, the expensive solution is to move to a tungsten based conductor on an SoI chip.  We're working with the Fraunhoffer Institute to attract some research funding to look into the macro economics of high temperature computing with SoI.  They already have a series of ASIC that run at 300c - we can make high temperature steam with 300c.

The less expensive fix will extend the life of the chip and is what we have been doing on the first prototypes.  Modulating the clock speeds and voltage based on temperature seems to work like a charm. Lower voltage at higher temperatures reduces electromigration issues and allows things to live longer.  More importantly, we're designing these things with a 2 year lifespan in mind.  The economics  given the reduced electricity cost by distributing the compute to places with an existing heat load look pretty good.  Two years is a little shorter than the average server replacement schedule but it is not far off.  We're hoping to run them hard enough that, after their service life, the wheels are falling off and they'll have little resale value.  If you stack up the ancillary benefits you can probably point to ROI on the systems that are well under two years.

It's all about heat...
    TECH_DaveB
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 4893
    • Ribbons : 46
    Re: Rig made Popular Mechanics! 2015/10/13 13:59:05 (permalink)
    Really interesting idea, and I can see where you are going with it.  In places like so cal, where we don't have winter and we barely have spring and fall, i'd almost suggest mounting this outside of the house so the sun helps to maintain the heat. 
    So at a  home level how would you use the stored heat to fuel say, my AC?  Also, have you considered the scaling rates of power in some areas, I would imagine ti would be cost prohibitive.  That plus some solid solar and I think you could stay cool and be running on very little power.  Now, how much computer to I need to create the heat needed to run my AC low enough to turn my home, or at very least my bedroom and computer area down to the temp of the walk in beer fridge at Albertson's?
    nateman_doo
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 11233
    • Ribbons : 56
    Re: Rig made Popular Mechanics! 2015/10/14 06:08:25 (permalink)
    Interesting.  Figure computers are here to stay, so if you make parts that dont degrade under the heat and succumb to electron migration, you can use the heat for various thermodynamic properties, and play the video games your going to play anyway. 

I normally turn the computer off in the summer (even the 10K btu AC to keep it cold in a single room), and leave it on all winter.  Makes my office nice an comfortable.  Im talking T-shirt and shorts even with a foot of snow outside.

Dave,  A friend of mine and I built a cooler (similar to a chiller) that involved mounting a radiator outside the house so instead of using a chiller (and the associated electricity costs) we used the cold northern NJ winter to keep the fluid cold.  But this was years ago.
    Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    • Total Posts : 18926
    • Ribbons : 58
    Re: Rig made Popular Mechanics! 2015/10/14 19:22:47 (permalink)

For a long time I've entertained the idea of building a rig inside a mini-fridge. Your machine is a total beast! A lot of work, very nice job.

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

ltorsini
    Re: Rig made Popular Mechanics! 2015/10/15 07:36:45 (permalink)
    EVGATech_DaveB
    So at a  home level how would you use the stored heat to fuel say, my AC?  Also, have you considered the scaling rates of power in some areas, I would imagine ti would be cost prohibitive.  That plus some solid solar and I think you could stay cool and be running on very little power.  Now, how much computer to I need to create the heat needed to run my AC low enough to turn my home, or at very least my bedroom and computer area down to the temp of the walk in beer fridge at Albertson's?

There are a few thermally driven air conditioners that could be used.  Any propane or natural gas AC units and refrigerators (we're working on one now) that could be modified to run on the stored heat - as long as we can hit high enough temperatures!  

The Time of Use rates you have in SoCal are perfect for the compute/storage combo.  You would run your rig hard at night (in the summer) when the electricity is cheap and then use the thermally stored heat throughout the day to drive your AC.  When I lived in SD the rate split between on/part/off peak electricity was pretty substantial so you would have a pretty strong economic incentive to shift your AC+Storage load to the evenings.

You will likely need a 2-4kW (depends on your house) machine to run the AC in off peak hours only.  Smaller if you wanted to run it all the time and ignore the rate split.  We've modeled it... the economics actually look pretty good.

It's all about heat...
    ltorsini
    Re: Rig made Popular Mechanics! 2015/10/15 07:49:38 (permalink)
    nateman_doo
    Interesting.  Figure computers are here to stay, so if you make parts that don't degrade under the heat and succumb to electron migration, you can use the heat for various thermodynamic properties, and play the video games your going to play anyway. 

Dave,  A friend of mine and I built a cooler (similar to a chiller) that involved mounting a radiator outside the house so instead of using a chiller (and the associated electricity costs) we used the cold northern NJ winter to keep the fluid cold.  But this was years ago.

The parts will surely degrade, the heat will easily cut the capacitor life in half, the processors can be managed.  We're looking at ways to harden the electronics.  

The model is to run the machine hard, sell the compute and replace the unit every two years. Our initial models look like about a year payback on the machine (in ideal circumstance) so you would end up with an economic reason to continue replacing the rig... just like a bitcoin miner. At the end of two years the wheels will be falling off - we would cross ship a new one and rebuild yours to send to someone else.

Good idea with the radiator; when I was doing some initial testing in the summer, before the thermal storage system, we built a commode cooler to get rid of the heat.  See the pictures, it's pretty self explanatory.  ;-)

post edited by ltorsini - 2015/10/15 08:15:21

It's all about heat...
    ltorsini
    Re: Rig made Popular Mechanics! 2015/10/15 10:37:06 (permalink)
    Oh, you might want to check out this FLIR image of Henry running through a heat cycle: HOT!
    post edited by ltorsini - 2015/10/15 11:31:43

It's all about heat...
    he77spawn
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 183
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Rig made Popular Mechanics! 2015/10/16 03:38:16 (permalink)
    wow love the concept/ idea and work. thinking outside the box .... wait there's a box??

entel i5 2500K overclock 4.5 on air
    EVGA superclock cooler 
    z68 FTW 
    gtx 980
    910wt pc power & cooling 
    corsair vengance ddr3 16 gig 1600 9.9.9.24 2t
    western digital caviar black 1 t hard drive
    CM HAF 932 advance case  

ltorsini
    Re: Rig made Popular Mechanics! 2015/10/21 07:57:00 (permalink)
    he77spawn
    wow love the concept/ idea and work. thinking outside the box .... wait there's a box??

There is, indeed, no box...

It's all about heat...
    nikkocortez
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2884
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: Rig made Popular Mechanics! 2015/10/21 19:06:05 (permalink)
    Nice!  I actually bought that copy of Popular Mechanics a few weeks ago.  It was a cool read! 
    jeepn
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1447
    Re: Rig made Popular Mechanics! 2015/10/22 12:11:44 (permalink)
    That is Hot! lol Awesome idea man... good luck!

NZXT H210i / AMD 5900X / Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II - 280mm / Asus Rog Strix x570i Gaming / EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra Gaming / 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z Neo DDR4 3600 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 4.0 1TB / Seasonic 850 
    Associate Code: DH31IHN4NAL6231
    btodd1
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 128
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Rig made Popular Mechanics! 2015/10/26 13:55:24 (permalink)
    Check out this relevant link:
    https://youtu.be/B8bhGw4vUFE
    Not a build but a test bench setup for efficiency.

Bret  

MB:EVGA Z370 FTW/CPU:Intel Core i5 9600k/VIDEO: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid/MEM:G-Skill Titan Z Series 3000MHz 32G/PSU:Corsair RM1000 Gold-Modular/CPU Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB

Combat Names History: 
    FPSIdiot G Battlefield 2042 Warzone COD
    1ID10T in Battlefield 3,4 Hardline, Battlefront
    Makoto Nagano in BFBC2,  
    Bruce Willis in Battlefield 2142, Call of Duty, 
    Battlefield 2, Joint Operations, and
    Black Hawk Down. (Started with the BHD beta in 2001/2002). First FPS war game DOOM in the 1990's

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile