AnsweredHelp! New EVGA GTX 1060 SC and screen tearing in all browsers

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 31019
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: Help! New EVGA GTX 1060 SC and screen tearing in all browsers 2016/09/13 13:03:29 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Ace 0f Spades 2016/09/13 15:01:33
Ace 0f Spades
I brought home a second monitor with an HDMI connection and hooked it up, loaded up battlefield 4 and the "refresh lines" were occurring occasionally in the same place.
So I took it back to the store I got it at and they said they are going to check it at their lab. Hopefully, I'll get a replacement soon :) I will keep you posted. 

Thanks for the update

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Ace 0f Spades
  • Total Posts : 31
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Help! New EVGA GTX 1060 SC and screen tearing in all browsers 2016/09/14 03:54:58 (permalink)
They guy at the repair lab called me today and said that after 3 hours of stress testing ... nada... he said he would continue a bit more... so it looks like they are just going to give it back to me. I have know problem with this if the card is fine. But after all the uninstalling and reinstalling, swapping monitors etc... I was still seeing the occasional refresh lines in the game... I guess I could live with it... It's just frustrating :(
msweeney23
  • Total Posts : 43
Re: Help! New EVGA GTX 1060 SC and screen tearing in all browsers 2016/09/14 08:14:26 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Ace 0f Spades 2016/09/14 23:56:40
Ace 0f Spades
They guy at the repair lab called me today and said that after 3 hours of stress testing ... nada... he said he would continue a bit more... so it looks like they are just going to give it back to me. I have know problem with this if the card is fine. But after all the uninstalling and reinstalling, swapping monitors etc... I was still seeing the occasional refresh lines in the game... I guess I could live with it... It's just frustrating :(

This might not be related but I actually noticed this same problem last night while my laptop (running a 950M) connecting over HDMI to my Panasonic Plasma TV. Even with V-sync set to on/adaptive/in-game makes no difference I always see this tearing/sync lines in an area about 1/3 up from the bottom of the frame.

The actual LCD panel on the laptop does not exhibit this problem using either the Intel Integrated or the Nvidia discreet part - only over the HDMI port. I guess it was never a problem for me because I only use the TV in this instance for watching movies, or sometimes plugged in to my main system as a mirror monitor while using the VIVE.

Now I noticed it I can say I would not accept this at all - assuming you are seeing the same issue this doesn't look correct, especially considering the problem occurs regardless of the V-Sync setting in the Nvidia Control Panel.

Have you tried plugging into different ports, using for example a DVI-HDMI or DP-HDMI connector to see if the same problem occurs? I'll see if I can get a video of the problem using my high FPS camera and post it on youtube maybe it is the same as yours.

Matt
sosreptile
  • Total Posts : 6
Re: Help! New EVGA GTX 1060 SC and screen tearing in all browsers 2016/09/14 19:43:52 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Ace 0f Spades 2016/09/14 23:56:43
I just bought an EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW (08G-P4-6276) and I'm seeing the same problem as the OP - screen tearing when scrolling on websites. My previous card, an Asus Strix 750 Ti, did not have this issue, and both were connected to the same monitor using the same DVI cable. Of course, there were other issues with the Asus Strix, which is why I even switched to EVGA and upgraded, but here is some more info:

1) I swapped out the card and booted the computer.
2) Even though I had latest drivers installed, the nVidia drivers were disabled/didn't load on boot. During Windows 7 loading screen it defaulted to some low resolution (my monitor is native 1080p 27") and when the desktop loaded windows was trying to install it's own driver for the card, and installed something, I'm not sure what.
3) I used the evga drivers link to find and download my nvidia driver and installed it. During install it will show you your current driver version vs the one about to be installed, and the versions of all the individual components matched, meaning the driver was already installed but for some reason wasn't being recognized. Installation finished and it prompted to reboot, so I rebooted.
4) When it booted up the resolution was back to 1080p and everything looked like it did on my 750Ti. I tried out Paragon, Overwatch and Heroes of the Storm and they played well on maxed settings. 
5) I was reading a website the next evening when I started noticing the tearing... it looks like blocks of pixels that show up in the middle of the bottom 1/3 of the screen, just as others have mentioned.

I really don't want to reinstall my OS and all my programs to fix this issue. What do you suggest I do?
Ace 0f Spades
Re: Help! New EVGA GTX 1060 SC and screen tearing in all browsers 2016/09/14 23:55:21 (permalink)
msweeney23
This might not be related but I actually noticed this same problem last night while my laptop (running a 950M) connecting over HDMI to my Panasonic Plasma TV. Even with V-sync set to on/adaptive/in-game makes no difference I always see this tearing/sync lines in an area about 1/3 up from the bottom of the frame.

The actual LCD panel on the laptop does not exhibit this problem using either the Intel Integrated or the Nvidia discreet part - only over the HDMI port. I guess it was never a problem for me because I only use the TV in this instance for watching movies, or sometimes plugged in to my main system as a mirror monitor while using the VIVE.

Now I noticed it I can say I would not accept this at all - assuming you are seeing the same issue this doesn't look correct, especially considering the problem occurs regardless of the V-Sync setting in the Nvidia Control Panel.

Have you tried plugging into different ports, using for example a DVI-HDMI or DP-HDMI connector to see if the same problem occurs? I'll see if I can get a video of the problem using my high FPS camera and post it on youtube maybe it is the same as yours.

Matt

Hey Matt thanks for your reply. This sounds really similar to my issue. So I did try DVI, HDMI and Display Port all separately and the issue was replicated. and I tried it on a different monitor with HDMI and still occasionally "refresh lines" on the bottom third in BF4. I did not try adapter cables yet as I do not have any. I may try to borrow an adapter from the office and give it a try when the lab send me back the card. Thank you for your feed back and keep us posted as to how your issue turns out 

sosreptile
I just bought an EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW (08G-P4-6276) and I'm seeing the same problem as the OP - screen tearing when scrolling on websites. My previous card, an Asus Strix 750 Ti, did not have this issue, and both were connected to the same monitor using the same DVI cable. Of course, there were other issues with the Asus Strix, which is why I even switched to EVGA and upgraded, but here is some more info:

1) I swapped out the card and booted the computer.
2) Even though I had latest drivers installed, the nVidia drivers were disabled/didn't load on boot. During Windows 7 loading screen it defaulted to some low resolution (my monitor is native 1080p 27") and when the desktop loaded windows was trying to install it's own driver for the card, and installed something, I'm not sure what.
3) I used the evga drivers link to find and download my nvidia driver and installed it. During install it will show you your current driver version vs the one about to be installed, and the versions of all the individual components matched, meaning the driver was already installed but for some reason wasn't being recognized. Installation finished and it prompted to reboot, so I rebooted.
4) When it booted up the resolution was back to 1080p and everything looked like it did on my 750Ti. I tried out Paragon, Overwatch and Heroes of the Storm and they played well on maxed settings. 
5) I was reading a website the next evening when I started noticing the tearing... it looks like blocks of pixels that show up in the middle of the bottom 1/3 of the screen, just as others have mentioned.

I really don't want to reinstall my OS and all my programs to fix this issue. What do you suggest I do?

Hey Sosreptile, I definitely hear you on that last one! It sounds almost exactly the same to what I was seeing

I see, from what you described, that you didn't clean your display drivers when installing. This is usually best practice Before you do a clean install I'd recommend cleaning all your GPU drivers and installing the latest nVidia drivers from scratch (get them here from nvidia).

Before you install the aforementioned drivers grab DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) & just follow the instructions and uninstall any ATI/AMD & Nvidia drivers from safe mode and DDU will change your windows to not automatically install drivers at the start up when you restart/reboot. After you've uninstalled them and restarted/rebooted you can install the new ones. Also when installing them you can do a custom installation and click the "clean installation" tick box. This will install the driver with the default settings and not any old save ones.

Direct link for DDU download from their official site: http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/download/DDU%20v17.0.2.0.exe 

Unfortunately for me this did not help and only a clean install of windows rectified this issue for me in the browsers with the pixelated screen tearing lines. I am occasionally seeing "refresh lines" in the same area while gaming though and that is why I sent my card back to the store. 

I hope this works and please keep us posted as to if this resolves your issue.

I also really really hope someone at EVGA is paying attention to this because there are now three people at least with this issue now. I think I have seen more threads across the internet about similar issues when searching for a resolution.

It is super frustrating but it looks like the store is going to give back the card as is because they are not seeing "artifacting" in their stress tests. The thing is it isn't artifacting more like laggy refresh / screen tearing and as I said v-sync didn't help. Also v-sync would cap out FPS at the refresh rate of the monitor i.e. 60 FPS.

post edited by Ace 0f Spades - 2016/09/15 00:08:51
sosreptile
Re: Help! New EVGA GTX 1060 SC and screen tearing in all browsers 2016/09/16 16:56:27 (permalink)
Ace 0f Spades
Hey Sosreptile, I definitely hear you on that last one! It sounds almost exactly the same to what I was seeing

I see, from what you described, that you didn't clean your display drivers when installing. This is usually best practice Before you do a clean install I'd recommend cleaning all your GPU drivers and installing the latest nVidia drivers from scratch (get them  from nvidia).

Before you install the aforementioned drivers grab DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) & just follow the instructions and uninstall any ATI/AMD & Nvidia drivers from safe mode and DDU will change your windows to not automatically install drivers at the start up when you restart/reboot. After you've uninstalled them and restarted/rebooted you can install the new ones. Also when installing them you can do a custom installation and click the "clean installation" tick box. This will install the driver with the default settings and not any old save ones.

Direct link for DDU download from :

Unfortunately for me this did not help and only a clean install of windows rectified this issue for me in the browsers with the pixelated screen tearing lines. I am occasionally seeing "refresh lines" in the same area while gaming though and that is why I sent my card back to the store. 

I hope this works and please keep us posted as to if this resolves your issue.

I also really really hope someone at EVGA is paying attention to this because there are now three people at least with this issue now. I think I have seen more threads across the internet about similar issues when searching for a resolution.

It is super frustrating but it looks like the store is going to give back the card as is because they are not seeing "artifacting" in their stress tests. The thing is it isn't artifacting more like laggy refresh / screen tearing and as I said v-sync didn't help. Also v-sync would cap out FPS at the refresh rate of the monitor i.e. 60 FPS.

I have an update... surprisingly, the tearing is happening most noticeably in Chrome. I see it extremely faintly in Firefox and no issue in Office applications (Word/Excel), but Chrome is the worst. I tried some online suggestions and turned off Chrome's inbuilt smooth scrolling feature, but it only slightly reduced the tearing (issue is still there). I will reply with more information if I notice anything else.
Ace 0f Spades
Re: Help! New EVGA GTX 1060 SC and screen tearing in all browsers 2016/09/17 11:16:00 (permalink)
Yup ... that's exactly what I noticed / said it was present only in browsers, most noticeably in chrome, and not on desktop apps like word, PDF viewers etc... good luck! If all else fails a clean windows instal may fix it like it did for me... but only as a last resort.
sosreptile
Re: Help! New EVGA GTX 1060 SC and screen tearing in all browsers 2016/09/18 13:32:39 (permalink)
I'm actually worried about using DDU. Some people have complained about it killing their video drivers completely and not being able to get any video output. Maybe I should just boot into safe mode and uninstall nvidia drivers through the windows remove programs?
Ace 0f Spades
Re: Help! New EVGA GTX 1060 SC and screen tearing in all browsers 2016/09/18 14:04:37 (permalink)
It was EVGA tech support who told me to use DDU... and I'm still typing to you... also they may have set it not to shut off or restart and they warn you that if you choose that option you may get a black screen.

Any one else?
Ace 0f Spades
Re: Help! New EVGA GTX 1060 SC and screen tearing in all browsers 2016/09/20 11:44:25 (permalink)
*Update*

So the guys at the store really wanted to help but they saw nothing after more intense testing. They told me to bring my comp to the store so I did. We boot up go into the game (BF4) with a VGA monitor attached to the HDMI port and viola nothing. I take it home re-install the drivers and I test BF4. Nothing... looks smooth. I check FPS as I have the game on Ultra and I'm getting a steady 60 FPS. I check the settings and I forgot that I enabled v-synch in the game menu last time. So I turn it off and I go from a steady 60 FPS to mid 70's to high 80's FPS BUT the refresh lines or 'tearing' is back. Is this normal? I can take it back to the store and show him with the v-synch off and I'm sure it'll show on the other monitor as it did when I initially tested it. 
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49178
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: Help! New EVGA GTX 1060 SC and screen tearing in all browsers 2016/09/20 12:07:46 (permalink)
Ace 0f Spades
So I turn it off and I go from a steady 60 FPS to mid 70's to high 80's FPS BUT the refresh lines or 'tearing' is back. Is this normal?

Normal.
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Help! New EVGA GTX 1060 SC and screen tearing in all browsers 2016/09/20 12:48:35 (permalink)
To get rid of the tearing inside your games either enable v-sync, g-sync or fast sync inside the nvidia control panel.
Ace 0f Spades
Re: Help! New EVGA GTX 1060 SC and screen tearing in all browsers 2016/09/20 13:17:20 (permalink)
So always play with v-sync on? Is that limiting my 1060…?
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Help! New EVGA GTX 1060 SC and screen tearing in all browsers 2016/09/20 13:19:29 (permalink)
Ace 0f Spades
So always play with v-sync on? Is that limiting my 1060…?

Yes, v-sync will limit the fps to 60 fps. I would suggest playing with fast sync enabled.

CoercionShaman
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1788
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: Help! New EVGA GTX 1060 SC and screen tearing in all browsers 2016/09/20 13:34:51 (permalink)
If you have a 60Hz monitor, those other frames over 60 mean nothing except wasted effort on the part of the GPU anyway.

What use is knowledge if there is no understanding?~Stobaeus
Ace 0f Spades
Re: Help! New EVGA GTX 1060 SC and screen tearing in all browsers 2016/09/20 14:59:29 (permalink)
@Sajin So I did what you said, I think, and set vertical sync to "fast" in the nvidia control panel. Is that correct?

@CoercionShaman Yup 60hz monitor which is reading 59.95 hz. :P 

what's strange is I was getting great frame rates in the begging of the BF1 Open Beta with no tearing / refresh lines... whats with that?

So if I want more than 60 FPS without tearing/lines I need a higher refresh rate monitor like a 144hz?

In anycase its weird because before when I enabled vsync I was seeing the lines now I'm not.

Thanks for the feedback.
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Help! New EVGA GTX 1060 SC and screen tearing in all browsers 2016/09/20 15:01:19 (permalink)
Ace 0f Spades
@Sajin So I did what you said, I think, and set vertical sync to "fast" in the nvidia control panel. Is that correct?

So if I want more than 60 FPS without tearing/lines I need a higher refresh rate monitor like a 144hz?

Yes & Yes.
Ace 0f Spades
Re: Help! New EVGA GTX 1060 SC and screen tearing in all browsers 2016/09/20 20:59:59 (permalink)
Wait but would a 144hz screen even help if the servers are generally 35hz, 45hz, 60hz etc...?
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Help! New EVGA GTX 1060 SC and screen tearing in all browsers 2016/09/20 21:00:32 (permalink)
Ace 0f Spades
Wait but would a 144hz screen even help if the servers are generally 35hz, 45hz, 60hz etc...?

Yes.
Ace 0f Spades
Re: Help! New EVGA GTX 1060 SC and screen tearing in all browsers 2016/09/21 00:26:54 (permalink)
Hi,

So here it is, you can play it in 1080p if it matters:

https://youtu.be/z3Kdz8Ave_Q

Since my screen recording software was not working I filmed this with my smart phone. I'll try to upload a screen capture recording later. But this is what I am seeing. Is that normal?

Thank you

P.S. Just FYI this is the issue I was having with browsers before I re-installed windows 10:
https://youtu.be/IJcGhI8s0v8
post edited by Ace 0f Spades - 2016/09/21 00:33:09
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Help! New EVGA GTX 1060 SC and screen tearing in all browsers 2016/09/21 00:49:01 (permalink)
Yes, the screen tearing with v-sync off is completely normal.
Ace 0f Spades
Re: Help! New EVGA GTX 1060 SC and screen tearing in all browsers 2016/09/21 01:36:04 (permalink)
Well in that case thanks. At least the browser tearing was fixed when I re-installed windows no matter what v-sync is set to.
sosreptile
Re: Help! New EVGA GTX 1060 SC and screen tearing in all browsers 2016/09/21 06:18:56 (permalink)
I have an update: Chrome recently pushed an upgrade and now all my tearing issues in Chrome are gone. It's like a magic trick lol
Ace 0f Spades
Re: Help! New EVGA GTX 1060 SC and screen tearing in all browsers 2016/09/21 06:43:51 (permalink)
@sosreptile that is great news!
Ace 0f Spades
Re: Help! New EVGA GTX 1060 SC and screen tearing in all browsers 2016/09/25 00:04:15 (permalink)
Thanks for the replies and all the help guys!   

I got the screen tearing out of the browsers with the clean install of windows. I guess as you guys are saying tearing is normal for games when v-sync is off so I'll just have to keep it on and/or eventually upgrade my monitor to one with a higher refresh rate. 
sosreptile
Re: Help! New EVGA GTX 1060 SC and screen tearing in all browsers 2016/10/01 21:29:36 (permalink)
I noticed the tearing in Steam now. When I'm in the Steam client and I'm browsing game info or any pages in the client I get the tearing when I scroll.
Ace 0f Spades
Re: Help! New EVGA GTX 1060 SC and screen tearing in all browsers 2016/10/02 02:53:41 (permalink)
@sosreptile can you post a screen capture of the issue?
Ace 0f Spades
Re: Help! New EVGA GTX 1060 SC and screen tearing in all browsers 2016/10/06 00:26:21 (permalink)
This is weird. I've tried playing Assassin's Creed 4 Black Flag, in the beginning I was getting 60 FPS with  no screen tearing. Now I'm suddenly getting 30 FPS with screen tearing and v-sync is on in the game as it was before when I was getting 60 FPS w/o the tearing.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile