x299 dark no longer boots

Author
tbrown7552
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 162
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/02/20 19:06:07 (permalink)
So out of nowhere i have started to experience no boot on my system. This system has been up and working fine for a full year now without issues.

All of the sudden i was missing a stick of ram. So i pulled out the ram and switched the sticks around essentially reseating the Ram. No change. Then i reseated the CPU just to be sure it wasnt an issue with that. No change.
So i booted it back up and got by. Fast forward a week and i decide to dig in to figure out whats really the issue. I pulled all ram out and stuck just one stick in and was going to verify each stick alone worked. Wont boot and does whats in the video below. Checked the manual to verify what slot is to be used with just 1 DIMM. Slot 2 per the manual. Tried 1 just cause. Same thing. Switched it back to slot 2. Same no boot. Changed to a different stick to make sure i didnt have what could potentially be the bad stick and tried both slots. Wont boot. So then i add all sticks back in and tried again and it wont boot at all. I tried killing all power for 5 minutes and everything. It will not boot at all now. I start looking at the codes on the display and and also notice that one of the beeps is different then normal and the readout finally lands on A6 and just sits there. A6 according to the manual is SCSI Detect.
This is where it gets interesting. Changed the bios from BIOS3(what its been running on all along) to Bios2. It does initial first boot like out of the box where it powers on and off a couple times then finally comes on and gives the chirps and gives me a black screen saying the HW has changed. I go into bios. Make sure the boot device is correct and it was so i hit save and restart and the machine booted into windows no problem and i have all 32GB of my memory to boot.

Would like to get some other eyes on this to make sure im not misreading the code or something. All of the lights seem exactly the same as normal from what i can tell. Ive been able to see the inside of my case from where i sit at my desk so i feel im pretty familiar with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPMcJ7-K1oY

5 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49167
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: x299 dark no longer boots 2020/02/20 19:52:45 (permalink)
    Title should read no longer boots on Bios3. Sounds like your bios got corrupted somehow. Not the first time I've heard this.

You can do the following to restore bios3... https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2796350
    tbrown7552
    Superclocked Member
    Re: x299 dark no longer boots 2020/02/20 20:17:19 (permalink)
    Bios3 will not boot so how would i be able to flash it from windows?
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49167
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: x299 dark no longer boots 2020/02/20 20:22:28 (permalink)
    tbrown7552
    Bios3 will not boot so how would i be able to flash it from windows?

Read what I said again in that other thread.
    ZoranC
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1099
    • Ribbons : 16
    Re: x299 dark no longer boots 2020/02/20 20:33:52 (permalink)
    I get A6 with 4 long beeps at boot when monitor is not detected (either not connected, off, went to sleep, or is on different input).

Note: Nvidia cards switch back to HDMI (which is a default port) when they lose connection with monitor.
    tbrown7552
    Superclocked Member
    Re: x299 dark no longer boots 2020/02/20 22:02:51 (permalink)
    ZoranC
    I get A6 with 4 long beeps at boot when monitor is not detected (either not connected, off, went to sleep, or is on different input).

Note: Nvidia cards switch back to HDMI (which is a default port) when they lose connection with monitor.

I have a few things i want to try before i flash the bios. Im going to eliminate my riser cable and try it then ill give that a try and see if i can at least get into Bios3 to save my profile to a usb drive or take pictures of the settings because i only have them saved in the Bios as profiles and i would rather not loose the profile. Then ill try clearing CMOS and if that dont work ill do what was in the thread and try it.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile