EVGA

water cooling: 400-HY-5598-B1 (closed loop water block for 1080 ti)

Author
carrpshane
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/09/08 14:23:44 (permalink)
Hello, I recently purchased the EVGA blower edition card. it was a bit loud so i picked up the hybrid cooler, after finding out this doesn't void the warranty. This is my first water block cooler of any kind.  I have always avoided this stuff because water and electronics don't mix, and generally you can get very good air coolers that last years. The install was easy, and everything as far as i can tell went perfectly it took maybe an hour max, but i was a bit surprised that you have to place it above everything. i was planning on actually installing it on the bottom of my case where i have a vent to avoid issue with leakage. Regardless of my ignorance on this subject my concern now is what happens when this starts leaking 2 years from now. Pretty much everything with water in it leaks eventually. What sort of guarantee if any does EVGA provide here? I don't see anyway to do maintenance on a closed loop cooler. I see the warranty is a year, and you can't purchase an extended warranty. What 's worse is this thing is hanging over two expensive evga video cards. Does anyone else have concerns or a solution to this problem? Literally i put this on the lower card in my case so ideally if i could have just placed the radiator on the floor of my case that would have eliminated most of my concerns. Given the current situation i am not too confident in the reliability of this tech especially with a 1 year warranty. Any suggestion? I don't really feel like being out 2k if this leaks and i generally hold onto my computers these days for 5 years or slightly longer depending on circumstances. What are my odds of reaching 5 years with this thing and not having water pour over my computer.

2 Replies Related Threads

SpikeV17
    • Total Posts : 41
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: water cooling: 400-HY-5598-B1 (closed loop water block for 1080 ti) 2018/09/09 10:54:20 (permalink)
    I believe the real reason for placing the Rad above the pump is due to insuring that if there is any air in the closed loop, it stays in the Rad - not the pump (where it would kill it).  So IMO "above" the block/pump really is accomplished by the RAD hose connections (or some part of the Rad) being - above the pump (a place for any air bubbles to reside)

So otherwise - you've got two choices ...
     - void the warranty from the beginning and test your skills at eliminating ALL the air from the (previously) closed system   . . . and, yes, it can be done - it's just not overly easy . . . then place the Rad down below, or . . . 

- if you're going to lose sleep worrying about a leak (keeping in mind - you already did an upgrade to your system ... so why would you expect to not do the same over the next two years ?) - then mount the dang thing on the outside of your case (above the pump) ... can also be done with a little ingenuity !

. . . then, for some - there is always the option to use a 'reverse' form factor case (Motherboard mounted upside-down) ... which moves the expensive GPU to the top of the case, and you can usually mount a 120 Rad on the back of the case with not much below it.

I understand your concern - the risk is always there . . . it's just what keeps you up at night   . . . for many - they struggle with the 'mixed metal' thing - Copper + Aluminum . . . but why do we never hear these kinds of issues with AIOs - most of which are exactly that ???
    [BTW - it's electronics and electrolytes that don't mix . . . I used to make Underwater lights for Cave Diving - primarily fresh water springs ... lights still worked fine even if the case completely leaked !!!!! ]

Cheers

Remember - "No matter where you go . . . there you are"
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: water cooling: 400-HY-5598-B1 (closed loop water block for 1080 ti) 2018/09/09 14:53:07 (permalink)
    carrpshane
    Hello, I recently purchased the EVGA blower edition card. it was a bit loud so i picked up the hybrid cooler, after finding out this doesn't void the warranty. This is my first water block cooler of any kind.  I have always avoided this stuff because water and electronics don't mix, and generally you can get very good air coolers that last years. The install was easy, and everything as far as i can tell went perfectly it took maybe an hour max, but i was a bit surprised that you have to place it above everything. i was planning on actually installing it on the bottom of my case where i have a vent to avoid issue with leakage. Regardless of my ignorance on this subject my concern now is what happens when this starts leaking 2 years from now. Pretty much everything with water in it leaks eventually. What sort of guarantee if any does EVGA provide here? I don't see anyway to do maintenance on a closed loop cooler. I see the warranty is a year, and you can't purchase an extended warranty. What 's worse is this thing is hanging over two expensive evga video cards. Does anyone else have concerns or a solution to this problem? Literally i put this on the lower card in my case so ideally if i could have just placed the radiator on the floor of my case that would have eliminated most of my concerns. Given the current situation i am not too confident in the reliability of this tech especially with a 1 year warranty. Any suggestion? I don't really feel like being out 2k if this leaks and i generally hold onto my computers these days for 5 years or slightly longer depending on circumstances. What are my odds of reaching 5 years with this thing and not having water pour over my computer.

Normally the radiator is attached to the rear of the case, commonly where the rear exhaust fan would be located. At that position, the radiator shouldn't actually be over anything. I've personally not heard of a AIO pump or radiator leaking in years. I'm sure it has happened, but it is extremely rare. The failure rate is almost entirely the pump failing. Not leaking, just failing to run.
    And while the previous poster is correct that pure water is a very poor conductor, you certainly can fry a motherboard with a coolant leak. But I've not seen that as a risk factor for AIOs.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile